Questions about security and pillows

DianeO90

Okay, this will be my first cruise and though this may seem like a dumb question I have to know. What kind of security do they have on the ship in case something gets out of control? I am a concealed weapons holder and normally don't go ANYWHERE without my gun and I know you can't take it on the ship or the plane, etc. etc so I will be leaving it home but that makes me VERY nervous. I hope the security is good on the ship.

Also, how comfy are the beds and the pillows? I will be going on Carnival Liberty and have back problems so I need to know if the beds are comfy and if they will bring me more pillows if I need them. I'd appreciate any info. on these things. Thanks for this great website! I have found so much information here its amazing :-)

Happy Cruising ;-Þ

If anything "gets out of control", it's not for YOU to fix! They do have security, and aside from someone getting drunk, you're not going to have a problem, unless you plan on starting trouble!!!

Everyone on the ship is out to have a good time--they paid alot to have fun!

And yes, you can get extra pillows. The beds are fine, and for some reason, the salt air, the food, drink, etc...insures a good night's sleep.

Okay, this will be my first cruise and though this may seem like a dumb question I have to know. What kind of security do they have on the ship in case something gets out of control? I am a concealed weapons holder and normally don't go ANYWHERE without my gun and I know you can't take it on the ship or the plane, etc. etc so I will be leaving it home but that makes me VERY nervous. I hope the security is good on the ship.

Read your other posts because I honestly found this somewhat odd. Where you do conceal your weapon when visiting a clothing optional beach :)?

Also, how comfy are the beds and the pillows? I will be going on Carnival Liberty and have back problems so I need to know if the beds are comfy and if they will bring me more pillows if I need them. I'd appreciate any info. on these things. Thanks for this great website! I have found so much information here its amazing :-)

Happy Cruising ;-Þ

Carnival comfort beds, bedding and pillows are wonderful....You can even buy these items on their website.

As for the weapon, Carnival carries over 3,000,000 cruisers a year - without weapons - and nobody's been killed in a gunfight yet..

They have their own security and intense video surveillance throughout the ship. They won't need your help.

I'm with you 100% but for your assurance the personal safety and security on board a cruise ship is not unlike that on any commercial aircraft.

Consider the fact that the very few recent reported instances of "trouble" on board a cruise ship have not involved any attacks. In fact I recall the only story involving any physical attacks occurred in the 1990's when some crew members aboard a Princess ship sailing on its last leg from Cabo San Lucas to LA got into a big brawl in the crew quarters and were locked up on board until the ship reached LA.

The only unsafe part of your cruise will be the trip from your home to the airport and then your return home from the airport afterward.

As for pillows, Carnival will provide you with as many additional pillows as you could ever want.

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about your personal safety or comfort. You'll feel totally secure.

A friend of mine is a senior security officer on a cruise ship - he was in the Indian Navy for some years, and it always gives me a feeling of confidence when I see him on board. He's also a great guy!

Cruise ship security officers are often ex-military or ex-police; I've seen ex- British Army Gurkhas (who incidentally are Nepalese) on British cruise ships.

You won't find much published or made public about cruise ship security; I do know that a company owning assets valued at many hundreds of millions of dollars, carrying thousands of well-off passengers, takes security very seriously!

VP

Are you seriously kidding me people?? There isn't one person on this board who has a concealed weapon permit? I am NOT out of the ordinary and NO, I would not be shooting up a ship or anyone on it. What is wrong with you people? I am a woman who carrys because there are crazy people in this world and I want to protect me and my children and if some nut case comes into a restaurant with a gun and starts shooting up the place, do you really think your going to have time to call the cops before he has shot you? I don't think so. That is why I carry to protect me from the crazies. I don't think its out of the ordinary for me to ask what security is like on the ship. You don't think there would ever be a case where some crazy person would get on a ship and shoot up the place? Sure it might never happen in a million years but it could and that would be the best place to do it too where no one could escape cause your out in the middle of the ocean. Think about it people, its not too far fetched anymore.

Are you seriously kidding me people?? There isn't one person on this board who has a concealed weapon permit? I am NOT out of the ordinary and NO, I would not be shooting up a ship or anyone on it. What is wrong with you people? I am a woman who carrys because there are crazy people in this world and I want to protect me and my children and if some nut case comes into a restaurant with a gun and starts shooting up the place, do you really think your going to have time to call the cops before he has shot you? I don't think so. That is why I carry to protect me from the crazies. I don't think its out of the ordinary for me to ask what security is like on the ship. You don't think there would ever be a case where some crazy person would get on a ship and shoot up the place? Sure it might never happen in a million years but it could and that would be the best place to do it too where no one could escape cause your out in the middle of the ocean. Think about it people, its not too far fetched anymore.

I don't even KNOW anyone who carries a concealed weapon permit! Absolutely no judgement whatsoever - you do what you need to do - but I just don't think of my mortality like that. If I die, I know where I'm going, and that's that. I've honestly thought of every scenario I thought possible on a cruise ship - and the one you named never entered my mind. If you're that frightened to cruise, maybe you should consider staying on land. I don't mean that in a mean way at all, I swear...I just wouldn't put myself in a situation where that scenario even entered my head. Life's too short.

"Diane090" - You're not the Lone Ranger, hon! Hubby & I both have our conceal carry permits. Not uncommon here in Texas. I never have my gun on me unless I'm traveling but my man ALWAYS carries his. And I'm comforted in knowing he has it and is VERY proficient with it.

Don't worry about security on a cruise ship, though. I just don't see a cruise vacation - and all the preparations necessary in order to GO on the trip - being the kind of thing that would attract a gun weilding nutjob. I've never felt unsafe on a cruise and I cruise without my pistol packing husband!

If you need to carry in Utah, just wait to you get to Miami.

:D ROFL!

Diane09, I am not an expert cruiser by any means, but from what I've seen you should have no worries on board the ship. Be cautious in port, especially miami, exercise common sense about what areas you venture into and try not to look the part of the distracted tourist.

From your post count, you must be new to the board. I think any time controversial subjects are broached (as in concealed weapons, guns in general etc) it's just to be expected there will be some prickly responses.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

Easy there, Diane. Many who have a permit choose not to bring it up because of the expected reactions of the "politically correct" crowd. The most effective deterrent to malevolent behaviour is the awareness that the victim may be armed. Witness the violent crime rate in cities like Washington DC where carry permits are never issued compared to that in Texas where they are prevalent.

That said. as I posted earlier, the safest place to be, next to a commercial airplane, is on board a cruise ship which is very secure and where a perp has nowhere to go if/when (s)he commits a crime.

The least safe part of your cruise is that part where you leave home to go to the airport, and the other part when you are returning home from the airport.

As to the answer about the pillows and bedding. I think they are pretty much what you'd find in any hotel. Just be careful to check for bedbugs. I had one person I met online that I wanted to meet on the ship because we were both from Maryland. We exchanged room numbers. I knocked on her door several times, but she was always out. When we got home I e-mailed her and she said they had bedbugs. The only suggestion for that is bring lavendar or lavendar scented sachets. I've read many times that a natural bug repellent is the scent of lavendar. Pillows should be fine. As for the bed, you might want to contact the cruiseline ahead of time and ask if they have any suggestions for people who have back problems. They may have some firm mattresses that you can have substituted for the one you would have gotten.

Diane, I salute you for having the foresight to realize it's a dangerous world out there and for taking responsibility for your own safety and not depending on the government to protect you. I'm sure any of these ninnys who look askance at your decision to arm yourself would be damned glad to have you or someone like you around when things turned ugly and there's not a cop around.

Having said that, you shouldn't have any security concerns while on board. For shore excursions, the best bet is to avoid unsavory areas, but maybe you could take along a collapsible tactical baton, just in case.

I'm in your corner 100%. More people need to take personal responsibility for all aspects of their lives!

As to the answer about the pillows and bedding. I think they are pretty much what you'd find in any hotel. Just be careful to check for bedbugs. I had one person I met online that I wanted to meet on the ship because we were both from Maryland. We exchanged room numbers. I knocked on her door several times, but she was always out. When we got home I e-mailed her and she said they had bedbugs. The only suggestion for that is bring lavendar or lavendar scented sachets. I've read many times that a natural bug repellent is the scent of lavendar. Pillows should be fine. As for the bed, you might want to contact the cruiseline ahead of time and ask if they have any suggestions for people who have back problems. They may have some firm mattresses that you can have substituted for the one you would have gotten.

Quick add. Carnival stocks bedboards on board. Just ask your cabin steward to put one under your mattress.

THANK YOU MR. SCHWUMP? or Joe who posted and is behind me 100%! Gotta love my fellow gun rights people. No, I am not the "Lone Ranger" but I'm not going to sit around and wait for the cops if there is a situation that endangers my life or my kids life and YES< you people who are unprepared would THANK ME if I was the only one with a gun before the cops came and I took down the gunman and saved your life. I'm done with this topic and sorry if I stepped on toes. I AM going on my cruise and I WILL love every minute of it. I will be careful in Miami from the caution you have given me which means I probably won't venture far enough from my hotel where I can't see it. That being said, thanks for all your advice and for whoever asked where I'm going its to the Western Caribbean with port stops in Ocho ( read a LOT about this place and might just stay on board, sounds too scary), Cozumel, and Grand Cayman. Any advice for my safety in these areas? I love these boards and hope you all don't hate me for voicing my oppinion on safety.

Happy Cruising!

Diane,

Cozumel and Grand Cayman are both very safe. I'm sure you'll have a great time on your cruise.

Good for you for speaking up and showing the greater public that we're not "gun nuts" but just average people like everyone else, except we are willing to stand up, claim our rights and take responsibility for our own protection. Smooth sailing, sister!

Diane,

Cozumel and Grand Cayman are both very safe. I'm sure you'll have a great time on your cruise.

Good for you for speaking up and showing the greater public that we're not "gun nuts" but just average people like everyone else, except we are willing to stand up, claim our rights and take responsibility for our own protection. Smooth sailing, sister!

I don't think anyone questioned if Diane was an average person like everyone else. It was her phrase "I am a concealed weapons holder and normally don't go ANYWHERE without my gun" that freaked people out a bit. I absolutely think we're all just average people - it's just what we're used to and what we're not. That phrase was a first for me - and I think others responded as such, you know?

Archived