First Timer to Cruise On Adventure of the Seas

Hello! My fiance and I will be on our Honeymoon and are taking the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Can anyone please give me tips and advice (neither of us have ever been on a cruise). Also, can I bring a bottle of wine on board? Thank you so much!!!

Adventure is a great ship, it was our first cruise 5 years ago this April and we are coming up on our 10th this April.

The ship is really beautiful and there is plenty to do.

What itinerary are you going on? Aruba or Barbados route.

We have done both and have really enjoyed both.

Hello! My fiance and I will be on our Honeymoon and are taking the Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Can anyone please give me tips and advice (neither of us have ever been on a cruise). Also, can I bring a bottle of wine on board? Thank you so much!!!

I've never cruised out of San Juan (we're scheduled to do that in Feb 2010) but I can give you the short piece of advice that I received before my first cruise.....

Take half as many clothes and twice as much money as you think you'll need.

I know that sounds flippant, but it was some of the best advice I ever got about cruising. You are not supposed to bring wine onboard. There are many threads here about "smuggling"......I'll leave it at that.

One thing I can tell you is that you will not have any luggage until the eveing of the first day, so you may want to wear something that is not too grubby so that you can wear it to the dining room that night. Also, put your bathing suit in your carry-on if you want to sit by the pool that first afternoon.

OK....that's a start......next??????

Love the Adventure and love San Juan. Try to go a day or two early or stay a day or two after the cruise so you can enjoy the Old City. Best advice I got on this board is to pack half his and hers in each suitcase so if one gets lost, you'll both have something in the second bag. We were glad we followed that when one of our bags didn't get on the right plane.

It might be better if you ask specific questions. And be sure to check out the thread '"Live" from Adventure of the Seas' as it's a great review of this week onboard with lots of pictures to get you excited.

em

RCCL does not allow alcohol to be brought onboard at any time. If you want a bottle of wine, you can put it in your checked luggage and secure it so that it does not get broken (use bubble wrap). They may find it but highly unlikely.

There is a lot to do aboard the AOS such as ice skating, climbing wall, minature golf, inline skating and an athletic court for basketball etc. They have a great gym with the usual equipment and both a hot and wet saunna in the dressing rooms. Johnny Rockets is a fine place to go for burgers and fries. The buffet (Windjammer) is great as is the main dining rooms. Late night snacks at the promenade cafe. The disco is great late at night. Schooner bar has a great piano player who will play risque songs late at night.

Boarding time starts at noon or maybe a little quicker depending on how fast they get the ship cleared from the last trip. You can get lunch on the first day in the WJ.

Thank you for responding :) I am very new to these boards and I am having a hard time getting around lol Ohhhh boy!!! I'll get it soon hopefully.

I am going to these places: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; Roseau, Dominica; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; San Juan, Puerto Rico.

My fiance and I are both in our late 20s. Are there a lot of honeymooners aboard? Also, are there places to listen to music while drinking to have a good time?

Thank you for responding :) I am very new to these boards and I am having a hard time getting around lol Ohhhh boy!!! I'll get it soon hopefully.

I am going to these places: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; Roseau, Dominica; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; San Juan, Puerto Rico.

My fiance and I are both in our late 20s. Are there a lot of honeymooners aboard? Also, are there places to listen to music while drinking to have a good time?

You are going to have a fabulous time! There are always many honeymooners on board all of the cruises we have gone on. Being on a cruise is ALL about listening to music, drinking and having a good time. Even the days when you are not in port, at sea, sometimes those are the most fun.

You are absolutely going to love the AOS, as it was my first cruise ever. She's a great ship to ease you into the lovely world of cruising.

Cruising out of San Juan was nice, especially on a Sunday. Flights and hotels in SJ were expensive prior to leaving, so we flew to Orlando Friday night from New York's JFK and stayed at a beautiful hotel, Gaylord Palms, for $100 name your own price on priceline. Went to Disney all day on Saturday then got up and flew to SJ on Sunday morning.

Cab to SJ pier from airport is straight forward. Go to the taxi stand just as you exit the terminal for ground transportation. You pay ahead of time and then tip the cab driver. Drive was no more than 15 min.

Print your Set Sail passes online before you go - saves a ton of time. Wait time (around 1:00) was no more than 20 from pier to onboard.

We went immediately to the spa to book an appointment for a cruising day and then straight to the Windjammer for buffet lunch. Then off to explore and take lots of pictures. Make sure you check your seats in the dining room - if there are any problems, speak up then and don't wait.

Booked excursions for every port and loved them all.

Aruba - Kayaking and Snorkeling

Curacao - Jeep Safari

St. Maarten - Full Day Excursion

St. Thoms - Ferry to St. John/Snorkel at Trunk Bay - A MUST DO!

Hope you have a great time. Any more questions, feel free to ask!

You are doing the same itenerary that we are in August. When are you going? Except for San Juan and St. Thomas it will be new ports for us.

Check out the port of call threads ... Dominica sounds like a day for a tour of waterfalls, etc.

Enjoy your cruise .... jan

Xosweetiexo:

Like everyone has said, you WILL have a fabulous adventure.

It has been five years, since we took our very first cruise. We didn't know what to expect, or how we would react to it.

Well................we have now taken four southern caribbean cruises, in the last five years.

If that tells you, how you can get "hooked" on the cruise experience.

We have not sailed on the Adventure of the Seas, yet. But we have three cruises booked on it. One in March 2009, and back-to-back cruises in January 2010. That is how much confidance we have in Royal Caribbean, and the reviews that AOS has received.

We have visited the ports that on on your itinerary. If you need recommendations about shore excursions, just ask. I and everyone else would be glad to relate their experiences.

You will not be disappointed, by selecting Royal Caribbean, for your honeymoon. RCCL is our personal favorite cruise line.

As far as San Juan, all of our southern caribbean cruises have departed from there.

Transportation from the airport, to the cruise ship dock, is very easy. After claiming your baggage, you simply exit to the taxi stand. A taxi "manager" will inquire of your destination, and will fill out a written form. You will be given a copy, which states the price that you will pay, when you arrive at the dock. The taxi driver can NOT overcharge you; the price has been pre-determined. The taxi ride is only about 20 minutes long.

Embarkation at San Juan, has never been a problem, for us. Ship crew members take possession of your luggage at the dock. The next time you see the luggage, is at your assigned cabin.

xosweetiexo, when are you going on your cruise?

Cruise Critic is a valuable means of gathering information, about your cruise, or ANY related topic. Just post your question, and you will get plenty of advice, from experienced cruisers.

We are going on this cruise route also on the May 17th sailing. We are 25 and 28... last year we went on MOS same week and chose to sit at a large table at dinner... we were with three couples all on their honeymoons! Somehow RCCL got our demographics right because we were all around the same age too. We can't wait for May!

Archived