Muster Drill

When I went on the Independence in Nov. our muster drill was held in the various lounges.

I was just seeing some pics of the Liberty and saw that the Muster drill was outside on the deck near the life boats.

Is this s.t. that varies per ship? Who decides were it's being held ? the captain or is it a company policy?

It depends upon where your cabin is and hence where your muster station is. I've found that on Voyager and Radiance class ships, cabins near the hump tend to be in lounges or the dining room. However, other cabins on those same ships have muster stations outside. It is definitely nice to be able to sit down and chill instead of heading out and standing in the heat.

When I went on the Independence in Nov. our muster drill was held in the various lounges.

I was just seeing some pics of the Liberty and saw that the Muster drill was outside on the deck near the life boats.

Is this s.t. that varies per ship? Who decides were it's being held ? the captain or is it a company policy?

Sometimes it differs even on the same ship. We have sailed on the Jewel of the Seas in different staterooms and sometimes our muster station has been in one of the restaurants or lounges and other times it has been outside on deck below the lifeboats. On some ships the entire muster takes place in one location while on others, after you assemble at your muster station, you are led outside to a spot below the lifeboats. The location of your muster station is usually noted on the wall of your stateroom so those locations were decided long before any individual captain came onboard.

What really matters is not where you muster but that you pay attention to the information given to you during the drill. In a real emergency you may not even be able to go to your assigned station so it is important that you know to follow the directions of the crew.:)

If you want to know where you will muster, when you get your Sea Pass look for the letter and usually 2 digit number on the Sea Pass Card...it is for the Muster Station. It will be on the same side of the ship as your cabin, ie Starboard on Starboard side...now the inside cabins in the very center need to pay attention to which side is assigned. The muster stations in lounges etc...also follow the Port/Starboard side theory.

It depends upon where your cabin is and hence where your muster station is. I've found that on Voyager and Radiance class ships, cabins near the hump tend to be in lounges or the dining room. However, other cabins on those same ships have muster stations outside. It is definitely nice to be able to sit down and chill instead of heading out and standing in the heat.

My cabins on those class ships are always on the humps.(check my signature) :D

I am always outside.

I would love to be able to sit down just once. :D

depends upon where your muster station is.

Always amuses me, being disabled as to why my muster station is never on the same floor - will be fun in a real emergency!

They put the muster station where the life boats are, not where you are sleeping.

No ship has all drill stations indoors. Even the smallest (Majesty/ Moonarch) have a combination of lounges/ outside deck.

We were also on the Independence in November, but the week before you. Had an aft deck 7 port side stateroom and our muster station was outside on deck 4 port side aft.

Curious as to what staterooms get to go to lounges instead. What room did you have?

Depending on the ship and/or cabin we have done both inside and outside musters. I prefer to muster outside where I would board the life boat. Not in a lounge where the singer/dancers will act as life boat captains to lead us quietly and orderly to our life boat if necessary. Not a chance.

We mustered for real on the SS Norway in the International Lounge. The life boat leaders were in a state of total confusion as to what to do next. Nothing in the real muster situation was quiet or orderly. Some people were in panic mode, others hyperventilated from the stress, some passed out and required medical attention.

Some who muster outside on ships in the Caribbean complain about the heat. But that's where I want to muster; at the life boat. Big deal, 15 minutes outside. When we muster inside, we always take a walk to find the life boat location out on deck.

Depending on the ship and/or cabin we have done both inside and outside musters. I prefer to muster outside where I would board the life boat. Not in a lounge where the singer/dancers will act as life boat captains to lead us quietly and orderly to our life boat if necessary. Not a chance.

We mustered for real on the SS Norway in the International Lounge. The life boat leaders were in a state of total confusion as to what to do next. Nothing in the real muster situation was quiet or orderly. Some people were in panic mode, others hyperventilated from the stress, some passed out and required medical attention.

Some who muster outside on ships in the Caribbean complain about the heat. But that's where I want to muster; at the life boat. Big deal, 15 minutes outside. When we muster inside, we always take a walk to find the life boat location out on deck.

Imagine the heat in the Caribbean during the SUmmer inside a life boat. I have been in one in the Fall when I was a medic on an oil rig between undergrad and grad school....and even then it was nice and hot...in the Gulf of Mexico. Oh and there were only like 4 of us taking it out for a spin, load it up full and take it for a spin as the ship is burning or sinking so the added stress and wow it would be a nasty situation. Add high seas and seasickness, yuck...

Imagine the heat in the Caribbean during the SUmmer inside a life boat. I have been in one in the Fall when I was a medic on an oil rig between undergrad and grad school....and even then it was nice and hot...in the Gulf of Mexico. Oh and there were only like 4 of us taking it out for a spin, load it up full and take it for a spin as the ship is burning or sinking so the added stress and wow it would be a nasty situation. Add high seas and seasickness, yuck...

Better IMHO then the alternative :(

Just got back from the Voyager of the Seas and were in cabin 6332 which is 2 cabins past the hump and our muster station was in the main dining room on deck 4.

Our friends were in cabin 6362 and their muster station was outside.

Marlene

• 2 months later...

We'll be on LOS (Liberty of the Seas) - cabin 6246 (forward/starboard). For those that have sailed this ship and perhaps had a cabin near that - where was your muster station? (Outside is fine with me but I'm hoping it's in the shade and not up forward near the helicopter pad or anything.)

There are a ton of muster stations--some inside, and some outside...we've always been on an outside deck--and yes, it can get hot. But, it doesn't last forever--and the faster everyone shows up, the faster its over.

Curious as to what staterooms get to go to lounges instead. What room did you have?

I don't think it's a matter of what "type" of room you have, it's just the luck of the draw. We had inside rooms on deck 8 of the Explorer, and our muster station was in the MDR. And boy was I thankful as it was cold, rainy and windy outside!!! (we had our 4 kiddos with, so I was also glad for their sake).

Love the drill - when dismissed its party time! BTW, it is pronounced Mustard drill - I assume before all the cutbacks they used to hand out hotdogs.

Actually it is pronounced "muster", not mustard. But yes, when it is all over, it is party time!!

We are thinking about making sure we have a nice buzz going before the muster drill. I hope no one objects.

Hopefully that "buzz" won't prevent you from hearing and absorbing the information that is dispensed at the muster drill and won't interfere with your ability to know what to do in the event of a real emergency. I would also hope that in your 'buzzed' state, your behavior won't cause those around you at the muster to be unable to hear or understand the instructions. :rolleyes: As long as those conditions prevail, no objections to your behavior, immature though it may be.

Archived