Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

Hi happy trailer

We will visit your great city in December and we haven't made up our minds what itinerary we want to follow and thought maybe you could help.

We are all secular and would like to see the "highlights" that your city has to offer and have time to do some shopping.

Are you familiar with Sandeman's New Jerusalem Free Tour and if so what do you think of combining it with the city tour with Egged Tours?

We are also considering the following tours:

1. Old and New Jerusalem

Is this too much Jeruslem?

2. Jerusalem and Bethlehem

GTI doesn't think waiting in the lines is the best use of our limited time.

What's your thought?

3. Jerusalem and Dead Sea

My concern is the duration and it doesn't leave much time for shopping but if it's our best option we will do it.

Any suggestions for shopping and restaurants for lunch?

Thanks in advance

Calvin

Hi Calvin,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply; as I posted previously I'll be somewhat preoccupied for a while, but I've got a chance today to pop in for a bit, so I'm going to try to respond to a few posts.

I love taking walking tours in both Old and New Jerusalem. I have no personal experience with the Sandeman tours, but I believe they get decent reviews in other cities around the world.

There is a hop on/hop off bus in Jerusalem that will take you to all the main tourist sites, including museums. You can easily find information on it, including fares and a route map, but doing a Google search. You might find that the bus, combined with a good tour book, will work well.

I'm Jewish, but love visiting the churches in the Jerusalem area. With Jerusalem being such an important place for many religions, I think that even from a secular standpoint you might want to get a taste of at least one important Christian, Jewish, and Muslim site; all can be found within the walls of the Old City. Walking the Via Delorosa in December can be very special, and while the Church of the Holy Sepulchre might be crowded at that time of year, it is also worth seeing. The Western Wall (the Kotel) is open 24 hours a day. While I've visited mosques in Istanbul, unfortunately I'm not really able to enter mosques in Jerusalem, so you'd need to get advice on doing so from someone else.

As a 'local expert' on Cruise Critic I'm not actually allowed to give specific recommendations for tours, restaurants, or shopping, but I can direct you to popular (and good) areas:

The Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall, in the heart of downtown (new) Jerusalem is filled with restaurants, cafes, and tourist shopping. Be sure to check the side streets that are also part of the area. If you want a bit more upscale shopping, Yoel Solomon Street, which is at the bottom of the pedestrian mall (off the right of Zion Square) has several craft cooperatives and fine art shops, as well as a few very good restaurants. Another shopping alternative is Hutzot Hayotzer, the Artist's colony outside Jaffa Gate of the Old City.

As to whether you should focus your day on just Jerusalem, or should try to also visit Bethlehem or the Dead Sea, I agree with expatmama's post. Include Bethlehem only if you consider it an absolute must (you'll find a few threads in this forum relating to that); floating in the Dead Sea is lots of fun (you can do it even in December), but it will mean cutting your time in Jerusalem considerably, and you will not have time to visit both Jerusalem and Masada in one day.

In terms of whether seeing the sites in both Old and New Jerusalem is too ambitious for one day of touring, that depends on your personal interests, and also what time your ship sails that night. You could easily spend several hours wandering around the Old City, and visiting museums and shopping in the Souk and the stores in the Jewish Quarter, but you could also see plenty and get a good feeling for the Old City in just 2-3 hours, and then spend the rest of the day touring the new city. [Grabbing a bite to eat, or a more leisurely meal is also possible in the Old City. More 'modern' shopping (and dining) is available in the new Mamilla mall, which is adjacent to Jaffa Gate, so you could focus on the Old City if you want.] But doing at least a bit of walking around or touring the new city will also give you a great taste of modern everyday Israel, and I know that personally that's the sort of thing I crave when I travel.

As to Jerusalem weather in December, the only guarantee is that the night will be a bit chilly. I wouldn't worry about snow as much as cold, driving rain- we get wet weather in spurts that time of year: a few rainy days at a time, but it can really pour when it comes down. Snow comes only every couple of years, and usually just a dusting (although we get a good blizzard every few years!), but even a little snow will wreak havoc on all transportation. The good news is that you are also likely to experience sunny, pleasant weather in Jerusalem that time of year. I'd suggest a medium weight fleece jacket that you can layer under a hooded rain coat or poncho (you might also want to bring a hat and gloves). The Old City can get slippery in the rain, so make sure your footwear can deal with that.

HTH!

Ruth

I noticed that you did not mention Bethlehem. Is that a place you would not recommend to visit?

Hi,

I'm not sure to whom you were addressing this question, or what you mean, but I know there are several threads addressing visiting Bethlehem on this forum. But, here's an earlier reply that Moti posted on this thread- hope it helps!: [i think Moti once mentioned, perhaps on another thread, that new regulations may be coming into effect which will allow a few registered Israeli tour guides to enter Bethlehem. I'm not sure if those regulations have been put into place, but if so, then it might make visiting Bethlehem easier if you could book with one of those registered guides.]

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishs viewpost.gif

Thanks for your info. We will take your advise and see Jerusalem on Friday and do dead sea on Sat then back to ship to Haifa, then full day for the north it makes great sense. I booked the Harmony Hotel. Do you think we should try to do Bethlehem? We don't want to shop but it looks like that would be part of the deal?

Thanks Trish

You can have Bethlehem in your itinerary if it is important to you. The thing is that in order to get there you need to cross to PA territories. There is no security problem with it but if you have an Israeli guide he won't be able to take you there and a Palestinian guide is need. It can be arrange but you are right that will involve the "must" visit to the local shop.

Thanks for your kindness in sharing all this info. If you had to choose between visiting Jerusalem/Bethlehem or Jerusalem/Dead Sea, which would you choose and why? We hate to miss Bethlehem (for obvious reasons) but I haven't seen a tour that offers all three spots. We will only have one day in the area; ship docks at Ashdod. Our ship does not overnight. We are torn as to which tour to choose. Thanks for your input.

Hi,

I think my two previous post today may be of some help. I'd add that you really can't practically visit all three (Jerusalem, Bethlehem, and the Dead Sea) in one day (other than maybe by doing a quick drive through, with no stops, and even that would be difficult), which is why you haven't found any tours that do so.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I just got back from a couple of hours walking and driving around the walls and outskirts of the Old City of Jerusalem.

We were so frustrated- and astonished- at the number of tourists who weren't wearing hats!

It's 90 degrees today, with a BLAZING hot sun- typical daily summer weather here. I can't imagine anyone even thinking about touring this part of the world without a hat, yet we saw busloads of bare headed tourists. (Their guides were all wearing hats, of course- we even went over to one of the guides and gently admonished him for letting his group walk around bare headed.)

PLEASE- if you are planning to be in Israel pretty much anytime of the year, but especially from April-October, make sure you wear at least a baseball cap (a wider brim hat in the summer is really the best). Lather on plenty of sunscreen (and tote along extra to reapply), wear sunglasses, and always have a bottle of water handy (and take regular sips, even if you don't feel thirsty).

Israel is a wonderful (and wonderous!) place to visit- but we want our visitors to tour safely!

Ruth

Thanks Ruth and Moti for taking the time to answer all the questions. I read the 16 pages yesterday and it is helping me with my plans.

We will be in Ashdod on a Monday and Haifa on a Tuesday. We have never been to Israel before. I am(my husband is unsure)

thinking of doing an overnite in Jerusalem to maximize our time.If we do overnite are we better off going to Massada and the Dead Sea first and then on to Jerusalem or should we spend the first day just in Jerusalem and do Massada and the Dead Sea on day two and then back to Haifa?Which way would allow us more time to see some of the sights in the North around Haifa? We would not need to return to the ship till around 9 p.m.

If we do two one days should we do Massada and the Dead Sea on day one along with some Jerusalem and go back to Jerusalem from Haifa or just do as much as we can in Jerusalem on day one and see the sights around Haifa on day 2. Thanks

Thanks Ruth and Moti for taking the time to answer all the questions. I read the 16 pages yesterday and it is helping me with my plans.

We will be in Ashdod on a Monday and Haifa on a Tuesday. We have never been to Israel before. I am(my husband is unsure)

thinking of doing an overnite in Jerusalem to maximize our time.If we do overnite are we better off going to Massada and the Dead Sea first and then on to Jerusalem or should we spend the first day just in Jerusalem and do Massada and the Dead Sea on day two and then back to Haifa?Which way would allow us more time to see some of the sights in the North around Haifa? We would not need to return to the ship till around 9 p.m.

If we do two one days should we do Massada and the Dead Sea on day one along with some Jerusalem and go back to Jerusalem from Haifa or just do as much as we can in Jerusalem on day one and see the sights around Haifa on day 2. Thanks

Starting your visit from Ashdod, Masada and the Dead Sea should be your first visit, since they both south to Jerusalem and that way you won't be spending time driving back an forth. I don't know when you are coming so I don't know on what time your ship arrive and on what time you can leave for your tour. But, assuming that it is as usual, meaning 08:00, driving to the Dead Sea southern area will take around 2hrs. Start with the floating experience in the Ein Bokek area at the south side of the Dead Sea and then continue north to Masada before driving to Jerusalem. You can finish all and be at Jerusalem at around 14:00, what will allow you to experience Jerusalem on the first day too. The second day can be a full day in the city.

Regarding the north, well, to my opinion the only reason to do an overnight is to visit both Dead Sea and Jerusalem without rushing when visiting the city. There for the meaning is that you don't visit the north, since adding anything in the north will mean leaving Jerusalem at noon time…! Usually, even in the cruise companies' itineraries they don't offer the Dead Sea and Masada on the overnight tour.

If the Dead Sea and Masada is important to you that means skipping the north and focusing on Jerusalem. If you want to see some sites in the north then you should give up, to my opinion Masada, but you can still have a floating experience at the north part of the Dead Sea on day 1 (30 min drive from Jerusalem!).

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning on being on a cruise and stopping at Ashdod in early May. I am hoping it will not be too hot but really know better. We are planning on doing Jerusalem and Yad Vashem with GTI. I felt I would rather see Yad Vashem that the Dead sea. Is this a good choice in your opinion. I have been to Dachau on a trip to Munich and feel this is an important sight to see.

Are there any clothing restrictions in Jerusalem?

Thanks so very much,

Joyce

We are planning on being on a cruise and stopping at Ashdod in early May. I am hoping it will not be too hot but really know better. We are planning on doing Jerusalem and Yad Vashem with GTI. I felt I would rather see Yad Vashem that the Dead sea. Is this a good choice in your opinion. I have been to Dachau on a trip to Munich and feel this is an important sight to see.

Are there any clothing restrictions in Jerusalem?

Thanks so very much,

Joyce

Hi Joyce,

Early May in Jerusalem should be delightful! Rain will be VERY rare (for the first time that I can remember we had a bit of rain this year in May). Temperatures should be (more or less) in the mid-upper 70's during the day. It's one of the most comfortable times of year to visit Jerusalem.

On clothing: If you are planning to walk around the Old City (whether to visit the Western Wall or the Church of the Holy Sepulchre), you should plan on being able to cover up bare shoulders and thighs. Short sleeves are fine, but no tops that are very low cut. Many visitors bring a light weight shawl that they can use to cover their head and shoulders, and/or wrap around their waist. In general, capris or long pants are fine, although sometimes you might be requested to wrap something around your waist. The same is true if you walk through the religious neighborhood of Mea Shearim, where there are banners hanging across the street asking women to dress modestly.

Personally, I don't hesitate to wear long pants anywhere in the Old City or in Mea Shearim, but I try to wear a longer tunic top with the pants. If I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt, I choose one with longer, almost elbow length sleeves. I look out of place in Mea Shearim, but no one says anything. This Friday, my husband and I walked through the area, he in shorts, and me in capris, and although no one said anything to us, I felt our dress was inappropriate and won't dress like that again if I'm planning to be in the area.

[in all other areas of the modern city, pretty much anything goes as far as dress. One of the things we love about Jerusalem is the variety of dress and religious display- and variety of religions- you can encounter in one short block!]

As to whether your visit should include Yad Vashem or the Dead Sea, that's a decision only you can make. But, it sounds like you have already made up your mind, so I will say that a visit to Yad Vashem is an extremely moving experience that you will never forget.

HTH!

Ruth

• 1 month later...

Ruth,

Thanks for your valuable posts. I am visiting Haifa/Jerusalem and am doing most of my itinerary on my own. I need to get from Jerusalem to

Ashdod (ship leaves at 11PM) on a Friday, and since transportation can

be tricky later on Friday I wonder what are the options and how late should we try to leave Jerusalem (to get to Ashdod 7-8PM)?

Thanks!

Visiting 2 days by ship and am planning a private or small group tour but due to limited time we have been given the choice of either visiting Acre and Mount of Beatitudes (which means we can overnight on the ship) or visit Masada (which means we would depart the ship on at Haifa, stay overnight in hotel, board the ship in Ashdod.) Our major interest is beautiful scenery, and historic architecture. What is your opinion?

Ruth,

Thanks for your valuable posts. I am visiting Haifa/Jerusalem and am doing most of my itinerary on my own. I need to get from Jerusalem to

be tricky later on Friday I wonder what are the options and how late should we try to leave Jerusalem (to get to Ashdod 7-8PM)?

Thanks!

You have only one option: taxi!!

My suggestion to you is to close a deal with the taxi station on the pier for a pickup in Jerusalem to take you back to the port. They are the only one that can take you into the port all the way to the ship. Other taxi will drop you off only at the gate of the port and it is a big port and the pier is very far from the gate!

All in all, doing the tour independently on a Friday, with the transportation cost, will cost you not less than a private tour...

Visiting 2 days by ship and am planning a private or small group tour but due to limited time we have been given the choice of either visiting Acre and Mount of Beatitudes (which means we can overnight on the ship) or visit Masada (which means we would depart the ship on at Haifa, stay overnight in hotel, board the ship in Ashdod.) Our major interest is beautiful scenery, and historic architecture. What is your opinion?

To my opinion, Acre and Mt of Beatitudes on a same day is not a good idea. One situated on the Mediterranean coast north to Haifa and the other above the Sea of Galilee east to Haifa.

Personally' I almost always recommend not to do overnight on shore. You can easily plan 2 separate day tour and save the cost of the hotel (not less than 200$USD per room in Jerusalem!).

When exactly are you coming and how many are you going to be?

Ruth,

Thanks!

You have only one option: taxi!!

My suggestion to you is to close a deal with the taxi station on the pier for a pickup in Jerusalem to take you back to the port. They are the only one that can take you into the port all the way to the ship. Other taxi will drop you off only at the gate of the port and it is a big port and the pier is very far from the gate!

All in all, doing the tour independently on a Friday, with the transportation cost, will cost you not less than a private tour...

Moti is absolutely correct- you only have one option, and that is a taxi. There will be no public transportation between Jerusalem and Ashdod from shortly before the Jewish Sabbath begins on sundown on Friday.

Keep in mind, too, that even within Jerusalem, public transportation will stop at sundown, and taxis may be a bit hard to find (but there are taxis that run, although I'm not sure if you'd be able to hail one on the street; you might have to go to a hotel to get a cab).

I really think that this is one case where you would benefit from booking a private tour. A private tour guide would take you to exactly the places you want to visit, and would be sure to get you back to your ship on time. In addition, he will know how to manage the Friday mayhem that you will encounter in some places around Jerusalem- and help you enjoy it to its fullest!

I also suggest you consider booking a private tour vs doing this day on your own. You may, as Moti says, find that the cost is comparable to doing a fully independent tour. But, if you still prefer not to book a tour, then you really must do as Moti suggests, and make all the arrangements for a return trip to your ship with a taxi driver at the pier. Make sure to get his phone number, so that you can contact him, if necessary, for the return trip to Ashdod!

HTH!

Ruth

Moti is correct when he's concerned about visiting both Acre and the Mount of Beatitudes in one day- even though distances in Israel aren't very great, these two sites are on 'opposite' sides of the country, so visiting them both will make for a very tiring day, as well as a lot of time spent sitting in the car or van.

If you're interest lies in scenery, then I'd suggest focusing on the Galilee, which would allow you to visit the Mount of Beatitudes along with many other significant Christian sites. The Galilee is lovely, and if your group is interested, you can easily incorporate a 'mini foodie' tour into your day, visiting wineries and dairy farms for a delicious taste of Israel. Yes, Acre is an important architectural site, but your visit to the Galilee can include other important sites, such as the mosaics in Beit Shaan, without feeling the stress of rushing from place to place.

As Moti also says, although many tourists choose to overnight in Jerusalem (which I think is a great idea, but agree that it's not an absolute requirement), you can plan on two day trips- one of the Galilee from Haifa, and the other to Jerusalem and/or Masada from Ashdod (although I wouldn't recommend doing both Jerusalem and Masada in the same day.) Needless to say, Jerusalem is filled with historical architecture (I assume you were planning to include Jerusalem in your visit, yes? If not, then you would be visiting Masada and the Dead Sea only, in which case you would be passing thru some stunning desert scenery).

[There is a thread on this forum with a short discussion on whether or not to choose and overnight tour vs two day trips; I think it may be on the first or second page of the forum. It didn't have many responses, but I think you would find them helpful. I'll try to find it for you and then post the link, but you may also want to try doing your own search.]

edited to add this: Found the link to that short thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1261723

HTH!

Ruth

Edited by happy trailer

We will be spending an evening and morning in Jeruselum and a morning in Haifa..Are there any stores that carry needlepoint ( Goeblin) canvases?

Thanks

Hi,

Although I know of several crafts stores in the Jerusalem area, I'm not really an expert on needlepoint (and, as per CC rules, even if I did as a local expert I wouldn't be permitted to share them here).

However, I did a google search for needlepoint supplies in Jerusalem, and I found a few links to needlepointers and quilters who I think may be able to help you (for the second link, scroll down to the response to the article, and then below that is also a contact form that I think you may find helpful):

http://israeli-quilt.com/index_eng.asp

http://israelity.com/2010/02/07/nostalgia-sunday-stitching-in-the-seventies/

http://bbs.czbtv.com/boke.asp?beads.showtopic.2981.html

http://www.jpost.com/Home/Article.aspx?id=89922

HTH!

Ruth

Hi Ruth or any of the oteher helpful experts,

I utilized your expertise earlier in the year when planning my trip but have a few quick questions that I hope you can answer. We are very excited as we leave in two weeks time. We are spending two nights in Jerusalem as we have decided there is so much to see there. We are staying at the David Citadel Hotel. I am trying to plan our day on Sunday 10th October and have booked the Western Wall Tunnels with a guide at 8am. I believe this takes about 1 1/2 hours and we would then want to do a tour at Yad Vasham at about 11am. I am unsure how close these places are to one another and if I have allowed enough time.

I have also been told of a "light and sound show"at David Citadel. Do you know anything about that?

We will be heading back to Haifa in a private car that afternoon. Our ship leaves at 8pm. How long should we allow to get back in time?

Many thanks

Kellie

Hi Ruth or any of the oteher helpful experts,

I utilized your expertise earlier in the year when planning my trip but have a few quick questions that I hope you can answer. We are very excited as we leave in two weeks time. We are spending two nights in Jerusalem as we have decided there is so much to see there. We are staying at the David Citadel Hotel. I am trying to plan our day on Sunday 10th October and have booked the Western Wall Tunnels with a guide at 8am. I believe this takes about 1 1/2 hours and we would then want to do a tour at Yad Vasham at about 11am. I am unsure how close these places are to one another and if I have allowed enough time.

I have also been told of a "light and sound show"at David Citadel. Do you know anything about that?

We will be heading back to Haifa in a private car that afternoon. Our ship leaves at 8pm. How long should we allow to get back in time?

Many thanks

Kellie

Hi Kellie,

The travel time from the area of the Tunnel Tour to Yad Vashem is about half an hour, so you'll be fine even if you run into heavy traffic, which could add another 15 minutes to your travel time. (The Tunnel Tour is at the Western Wall in the Old City, while Yad Vashem is approx 10 minutes from the main entrance to Jerusalem, so you have to travel out of the Old City and then cross town.) Watch for the Israel Museum, the Knesset, and the Supreme Court building, which are along the way.

If you have time, after you visit Yad Vashem, I'd suggest you walk across the way and visit Mt. Herzl, Israel's national cemetery, where you can visit the graves of Theodore Herzl, Golda Meir, and others. I've always found a visit to the cemetery to be extremely moving- and invigorating- after Yad Vashem. [bTW- at the end of the Yad Vashem tour, when you are looking out at the hills around Jerusalem, you will be in sight of my home- I can see Yad Vashem from my terrace.]

The Light and Sound show is at the Tower of David Museum, which is only a 5- 10 minute walk from your hotel. (You can see the tower from the hotel). I've never attended, but I hear it is very good. From your hotel, you simply turn the corner from the main entrance of the hotel, and then walk down the block (it's a long block). Or, you could cross the street and walk thru the Mamilla mall, which will take you pretty much across the street from the museum entrance.

Moti will know best about the travel time back to Haifa, but, especially as you will be traveling during rush hour, you're going to need to allow for at least 2 hours for the trip, and if were me, I would feel more comfortable allowing at least 3 hours, as even the traffic to get out of Jerusalem from your hotel at that time of day will be heavy. Your driver will likely take Highway 6, to shorten the travel time as much as possible, but my husband even runs into slow moving traffic on that road during rush hour.

You've chosen to stay in a beautiful hotel! If you get the chance, walk up the block to the YMCA, and go up the tower for a great view of the city. And, while you're there take a careful look all around the building, including the ceilings- the Y is beautifully painted and stenciled just about everywhere. Then, cross the street and enter the lobby of the King David Hotel, even if only for a moment. And, of course, right across from your hotel is the new Mamilla mall. It's a luxury outdoor mall, with some nice restaurants and cafes. There are often art displays, and sometimes entertainers, and, at night it's a fun place for people watching. (And, as I mentioned above, it's a good way to get to the Sound and Light show.)

HTH, and have a great visit!

Ruth

hi,

although i know of several crafts stores in the jerusalem area, i'm not really an expert on needlepoint (and, as per cc rules, even if i did as a local expert i wouldn't be permitted to share them here).

However, i did a google search for needlepoint supplies in jerusalem, and i found a few links to needlepointers and quilters who i think may be able to help you (for the second link, scroll down to the response to the article, and then below that is also a contact form that i think you may find helpful):

http://israeli-quilt.com/index_eng.asp

http://israelity.com/2010/02/07/nostalgia-sunday-stitching-in-the-seventies/

http://bbs.czbtv.com/boke.asp?beads.showtopic.2981.html

http://www.jpost.com/home/article.aspx?id=89922

hth!

Ruth

thanks