Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

We will be in Israel for 11 days next summer (not a cruise) on a group tour. We like the itinerary but it has one hole. It does not include a day on the Mediterranean Coast. I would love a day that would cover Caesarea, Rosh Hanikra, and Bahai Gardens. We do have a Saturday "off" with nothing really on our schedule.

Most group tours don't do this tour from Tel Aviv on Saturdays. I found a private tour that would charge $950 for the day. I suppose we could find another couple from our group (we'll meet the group in November for an informational meeting). Still, $475 per couple for a day seems pretty high. I suppose I can look at it as perhaps my last vacation in Israel and easily justify it. However, I am wondering if it makes more sense to rent a car and see those places without a guide. Renting a car and driving from Tel Aviv is not so easy. Am I correct that the rental companies are pretty much closed for pick up or drop off on Shabbat?

Any advice is appreciated. We have a free day before our tour, but we are headed to Mitzpe Ramon and have a great night and next day planned. However, I suppose we could cancel that and do the Mediterranean Coast on Thursday. The preference though is to keep that day. I have been to Caesarea and my wife has not. Thanks for helping with my dilemma.

Am I correct that the rental companies are pretty much closed for pick up or drop off on Shabbat?

I believe that is case for car rental company branches not at Ben-Gurion Airport.

If you can get to Ben-Gurion Airport, picking up a rental car from there and returning it there should be quite easy, though. For example, the Eldan rental car Ben-Gurion Airport branch is open 24/7, according to http://www.eldan.co.il/en/branch_info.aspx?br=17. Unfortunately, the train and public buses to the airport do not run on Shabbat, so if you can't get there on Friday before Shabbat begins, it could be expensive getting to the airport.

I believe that is case for car rental company branches not at Ben-Gurion Airport.

If you can get to Ben-Gurion Airport, picking up a rental car from there and returning it there should be quite easy, though. For example, the Eldan rental car Ben-Gurion Airport branch is open 24/7, according to http://www.eldan.co.il/en/branch_info.aspx?br=17. Unfortunately, the train and public buses to the airport do not run on Shabbat, so if you can't get there on Friday before Shabbat begins, it could be expensive getting to the airport.

I will have already been in Israel for three days by the time Saturday rolls around. We land in Israel on Wednesday afternoon and have transportation to Mitzpe Ramon. We'll be there overnight and be in Tel Aviv Thursday night and our group trip begins then. Saturday is basically a free day and that is the day we wanted to fill the one hole in the group trip itinerary, the Mediterranean coast. I have been there before, but my wife has not. I suppose that we could skip our Thursday plan and skip Mitzpe Ramon in favor of Caesarea, Rosh Hanikra, and Akko. I'd just rather not. I found a guide (who has excellent reviews) willing to do a whole day tour for $700. I suppose we'll either try to get another couple to join us or suck up the cost as a once in a lifetime thing.

I absolutely cannot wait to get back to Israel next summer. It's such a great thing that we now have the direct flights from Boston.

• 2 weeks later...
hubofhockey,

You may also want to try Egged tours. Before we felt comfortable renting cars, we took a day trip similar to what you want and were pleased. Here's their website: http://www.eggedtours.com

Thanks, but I don't think the Egged option works on Saturdays. I would do the car rental, but my wife is nervous about it for some reason. I was lucky to find an independent guide who has great TripAdvisor and even other reviews. He agreed on $600 for the day and only $650 if we add up seven people in total. I might take one other couple from our group. Our tour goes to Caesarea, Rosh Hanikra, Baha'i Gardens, and a full afternoon in Akko for 11 hours. I think guides are great for historic areas. I have been to Caesarea and Rosh Hanikra in 1993, but my memories have faded.

Thanks, but I don't think the Egged option works on Saturdays. I would do the car rental, but my wife is nervous about it for some reason. I was lucky to find an independent guide who has great TripAdvisor and even other reviews. He agreed on $600 for the day and only $650 if we add up seven people in total. I might take one other couple from our group. Our tour goes to Caesarea, Rosh Hanikra, Baha'i Gardens, and a full afternoon in Akko for 11 hours. I think guides are great for historic areas. I have been to Caesarea and Rosh Hanikra in 1993, but my memories have faded.

Hi.

Egged Tours and Egged are usually used to refer to different services, as far as I know.

Egged Tours, a subsidiary of Egged, does offer tours on Saturday/Shabbat/Israeli holidays (for example, http://www.eggedtours.com/israel-one-day-tours.aspx?DAYofweek=Sat).

When people refer to Egged, they are usually referring to Egged's public transportation services, which, in general, do not operate on Shabbat eve (late Friday afternoon and evening), Shabbat (Saturday morning and afternoon), holiday eves, and holidays. They offer limited service in Haifa during these times.

Thanks for the link. I had looked at their site and they had nothing for the northern Med coast sites on Saturdays. I did see that they will put together custom tours starting at $600. I'm assuming that they would contract out an independent guide. I already have 11 hours at $600 with a guide who has great tripaadvisor reviews. I'll stick with that.

hubofhockey,

I completely understand your wife's hesitancy! It took me a couple years and many trips by bus or with groups by car before I felt ready to rent a car. My husband was ready long before I was. (For some reason I thought Egged Tours' schedule might be different in the summer. Things may've changed since I traveled with them, though). You are in for a treat going back to Caesarea, they have done an amazing job with the site!

For those looking to do something similar,

these sites are a pretty straightforward drive from Tel Aviv along 'The 2' and then 'The 4' (depending on what day of the week and time/the traffic, some might even take 'The 6' [toll] first to the furthest point roughly 2 hours away and then work your way south on 'The 2').

The views from Haifa and Rosh HaNiqra are grand. I LOVE eating dinner outside on the shores of Caesarea. The square and waterfront of Netanya are fun at night, too!

Enjoy!

We fly out on Sunday for two weeks in Israel, staying with friends near Haifa and others in Jerusalem. No, we are not nervous. Every time I have been in Israel, something has been going on, including the Hezbollah war and having to go into a bomb shelter when a rocket was fired out of Gaza. I hope the cruise excursions are not cancelled as Israel is an amazing place to visit and experience. Tourism is a big part of their economy and the tour guides know how to take care of you.

We fly out on Sunday for two weeks in Israel, staying with friends near Haifa and others in Jerusalem. No, we are not nervous. Every time I have been in Israel, something has been going on, including the Hezbollah war and having to go into a bomb shelter when a rocket was fired out of Gaza. I hope the cruise excursions are not cancelled as Israel is an amazing place to visit and experience. Tourism is a big part of their economy and the tour guides know how to take care of you.

i'll keep my fingers crossed for you for good weather!! winter started and we're getting rain in biblical proportions!!!! (my neighbor's building a new deck, but now is contemplating using the wood for an ark instead)..

but whether it rains or not, i'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!! we LOVE it here!! :)

Edited by alaska_planner

• 2 months later...

Hi, we are visiting Ashdod for two days in March on Thomson Spirit. We visited Jerusalem last March and had a great and very enjoyable private day tour, visiting the main sights.

We'd like to do something different this time. Do you have any suggestions please? We'd take a private taxi from the ship and it would probably just be me and my husband. Judging by last year, we'd probably be able to get off the ship at about 9am on first day. I have walking difficulties so this needs to be taken into account. And we are not rich so we are looking for budget suggestions. We prefer to see sights, local people, local customs and eat local food rather than visit shopping malls.

Whilst walking round Jerusalem, on the way the to Church of the Holy Sepulchre we passed through a wonderful market street/area. We didn't have time to stop so I would like to go back there.

We were thinking of maybe Galilee? Is that possible by taxi? would it be expensive? Maybe Nazareth? What else? We wouldn't mind a short photo stop at the Dead Sea but we wouldn't want to stay for too long. Sadly, Masada is not possible for me. Also, we didn't go to Bethlehem because we already had too much walking that day...so a short visit would be good. Lastly, the Holocaust Museum would be good but I hear there is a lot of walking.

So what wonders can you suggest please

Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and let you know I'd be happy to answer questions you have about Israel and visiting Israel. (I'm not a travel agent nor am I associated with any agent, I'm just a smiling resident happy to help out.)

I moved to Israel from New Jersey almost 10 years ago, and live in a Jerusalem suburb. [i'm about to take my first cruise- to the Mexican Riviera :-).]

I'll try to check this board a couple of times a week, and while I'm sure I don't have the answers to all your questions, I'll be happy to answer those I can.

Israel is a beautiful country, and I'm sure you're going to love every moment of it!

[That's a pic of my town in my signature- we live in the Jerusalem hills.]

Edited by catmad
missed something

Hi, we are visiting Ashdod for two days in March on Thomson Spirit. We visited Jerusalem last March and had a great and very enjoyable private day tour, visiting the main sights.

We'd like to do something different this time. Do you have any suggestions please? We'd take a private taxi from the ship and it would probably just be me and my husband. Judging by last year, we'd probably be able to get off the ship at about 9am on first day. I have walking difficulties so this needs to be taken into account. And we are not rich so we are looking for budget suggestions. We prefer to see sights, local people, local customs and eat local food rather than visit shopping malls.

Whilst walking round Jerusalem, on the way the to Church of the Holy Sepulchre we passed through a wonderful market street/area. We didn't have time to stop so I would like to go back there.

We were thinking of maybe Galilee? Is that possible by taxi? would it be expensive? Maybe Nazareth? What else? We wouldn't mind a short photo stop at the Dead Sea but we wouldn't want to stay for too long. Sadly, Masada is not possible for me. Also, we didn't go to Bethlehem because we already had too much walking that day...so a short visit would be good. Lastly, the Holocaust Museum would be good but I hear there is a lot of walking.

We took a private day tour to see the Masada and Red Sea. Highly recommend. We used Richard Woolf, who we found as highly rated on Trip Advisor.

It is possible to visit these places in one day from Ashdod - but of course not ALL of them on the same day. A very close venue is Tel Aviv. I know it's less frequented by cruise tourists, as it is not "historical" enough, but well worth a visit. You can find there a great open food market ( Shook HaCarmel) .. beautiful promenade with beaches.. some old and renewed neighbourhoods (Neve Tzedek, Sarona) - and of course old historical Jaffa - and its fun flea market and old harbor.

Then you can go north - and visit Caesarea.. Haifa (the Bahai Gardens); the Carmel Druze villages.. and even the lake of Galilee. (Capernaum and the mount of Beatitudes). And of course Nazareth.

This is more or less the "menu" (without Jerusalem, this time) and you - and your guide - can choose from it what is most interesting for YOU and what can be crammed into your two days. (and suit your budget)

I am sure that whatever you choose will be lovely. As to local food - you'll find it everywhere - and love it!

good luck

Miriam

It is possible to visit these places in one day from Ashdod - but of course not ALL of them on the same day. A very close venue is Tel Aviv. I know it's less frequented by cruise tourists, as it is not "historical" enough, but well worth a visit. You can find there a great open food market ( Shook HaCarmel) .. beautiful promenade with beaches.. some old and renewed neighbourhoods (Neve Tzedek, Sarona) - and of course old historical Jaffa - and its fun flea market and old harbor.

Then you can go north - and visit Caesarea.. Haifa (the Bahai Gardens); the Carmel Druze villages.. and even the lake of Galilee. (Capernaum and the mount of Beatitudes). And of course Nazareth.

This is more or less the "menu" (without Jerusalem, this time) and you - and your guide - can choose from it what is most interesting for YOU and what can be crammed into your two days. (and suit your budget)

I am sure that whatever you choose will be lovely. As to local food - you'll find it everywhere - and love it!

good luck

Miriam

I agree with Miriam, and I will add a couple of items.

Private taxis are expensive, so I wouldn't recommend them as a budget transportation option. Of course, with mobility issues, a private taxi might actually be the best-value option.

You can sight see in the center-south area of the country, too. Not too far away from Ashdod are places like Ashkelon, Beit Guvrin (although your mobility issues might rule this one out), and Latrun. For more information about national parks in the center of the country, see http://old.parks.org.il/BuildaGate5/general2/company_search_tree.php?mc=389~Card12.

Even Mitzpe Ramon is only about a two-hour drive from the Ashdod port, that is, about as far away as the Sea of Galilee is.

For a local experience and very good Israeli food, I highly recommend the restaurant Suzana in the old part of Tel Aviv. This area is where Tel Aviv started and is a great contrast to the new high rises.

Unfortunately they have built high risers there :(Don't get me started!!!:mad:

Hi Ruth,

Thank your for all the information that you have posted. I am going on a cruise in November that stops in Jerusalem overnight. We dock early on a Saturday morning. Will everything be closed on Saturday? What can we expect, as tourists, while visiting on the weekend.

Also, what will the weather be like in November and what would be the easiest way to change money and are credit cards widely excepted?

Thank you for your help.

Kathy