LIVE from the Ruby 1/24-1/31

Av8tor

Greetings from the Ruby, 1/25/09, off the northeast coast of Cuba with partly cloudy skies and temperatures in the mid-70s. Just some observations to keep you all in the loop:

We flew from Washington state to FLL on Thursday and arrived about 15 minutes past midnight. Only an 18 hour day, the three flights were on-time and all seats were either in exit or bulkhead rows so we had plenty of leg room – all in all, not a bad trip.

Taxi from the airport to the Renassiance hotel was $14 plus tip.

On Friday we had oysters at Southport Raw Bar, appetizers at Bimini Boat Yard and dinner at the Quarterdeck restaurant. Bimini had the highest prices, but while its location/ambiance was correspondingly higher-class, I can’t say it was any better. All 3 were within walking distance of the hotel.

We got an early start on Saturday getting to the pier at 10:50am since we wanted to board early and sign-up for the Chef’s Table ASAP. Taxi from the hotel was only $4 plus tip. That sure beats the $6 per person they wanted for a shared van service. We breezed right through security without a line-up and waited in the Elite area until elite check-in started at 11:25. Only a few elites were there that early, so the platinums were also called almost right away. Check-in was VERY quick and painless and then we were seated in the upstairs waiting lounge until actual boarding started about 20 minutes later. We were about number 20 to actually board, getting on right at 11:50am. While in the upstairs waiting lounge, I was able to get a strong wi-fi signal from the Ruby, but the system wouldn’t allow me to activate the internet accounts yet, so I guess our names hadn’t been entered into the system yet.

Went right to our cabin (Dolphin 530 – CatAA mini-suite) and called the DINE line to sign-up for the Chef’s Table. Even though the message said they were “open” from 8 to 5, nobody answered. After calling Passenger Service, I was informed to try the DINE line again in about 30 minutes. I tried the dine line again, just in case, and still got no answer. Another call to Passenger Service (to see if I got any different information about the DINE line) resulted in being informed that the DINE line would not be open until 1:00. It’s a good thing I didn’t take their word for it because I tried again right away and the DINE line was answered. The representative said I was the first caller, but that the Chef’s Table was already full. When I asked how it could be full if I was the first caller he said that others must have signed up before boarding, possibly even through the internet. When I said that I thought you could only sign-up from onboard, he had no response for me. Anyway, we were placed on the waiting list at 12:02 as the first two people because “there might be a second Chef’s Table.” Later at dinner, I spoke to the Maitre d’ and he said that the list was full from B2B cruisers and after confirming that we were, indeed, first on the waiting list, he said they would probably have a second Chef’s Table – hopefully we’ll get invited!

The current machine in the Lotus Spa pool is GREAT! It’s much better than those on the Golden, Grand, Sapphire and Coral. The current is much stronger and provides a good, consistent work-out. The gym is a bit different from other Princess ships we’ve been on with the spinning/aerobics area open to the rest of the gym rather than being in it’s own room. There are lots of cardio machines and an extensive collection of weight machines and dumb-bells.

There was NO seafood buffet in the Café Caribe on the first night. I asked a head waiter in the dining room later about that and he said that they stopped having them about three weeks ago. He said there was no explanation why, they just disappeared!

We also successfully found the Vines Wine and Seafood bar and the Adaigo bar and liked both very much. Now we’ll have some more places to relax in other than just at Crooners and Skywalkers.

I was able to log on the internet from my cabin, but the signal strength is very variable and often quite weak. I think I’ll probably have to stick to using it in the public areas. If you use your own laptop, remember that you have to enter http://1.1.1.1 in your browser to completely log out so your minutes don’t continue to add up. Last evening, the signal dropped out which prevented me from successfully logging off, so I wondered if my clock kept ticking. When I checked today, I hadn’t lost many minutes, so I guess it worked OK. I signed up for the 150 minute time package for $75 which should end up being free with the $75 Platinum internet credit. They’re supposed to give you 20 extra minutes for free if you sign-up on day one, but I haven’t seen them added to my account yet. I guess only time will tell.

The Ruby’s new Captain is now Tony Daper from UK. Gavin Pears is the staff captain. Lisa Ball is the CD, Generoso Mazzone is the Maitre d’ and Manlio Cuzzolin is the executive chef.

Well, we’re off to the Maitre d’s wine tasting (it used to be the second tasting on a cruise, but for some reason they’re having it first now instead of the general “lower quality” tasting) so I better sign-off.

Happy Sailing,

Paul

Enjoy the cruise.....we will be sailing the Ruby in March and are really looking forward to it!!

Not really fair that B2B cruisers can sign up for chefs table the week before. They should have to sign up on the first day of cruise like everyone else. This is a huge disadvantage to those just boarding. I hope they add a 2nd seating for you.

That is too bad about the seafood buffet being gone. My ds was so looking forward to this.

Thanks so much for your posts - I'll be enthusiastically waiting for each new installment - I know you're elite - but I'm a princess newbie - so as much and as many details that you can provide will be so very much appreciated!

Sharon & Steve

On the 1/10 sailing when I asked about the free additional minutes for signing up the first day was told no free additional minutes if were were getting free minutes for Platinum. Never did get any additional minutes!

Donna

Hi,

Thanks for the live report.

We are sailing on the Ruby this Saturday. I was wondering are you doing the anytime dining? If yes, is one dining room better than the other? How about waiting to be seated? Or the time it takes from ordering until you recieve your meal?

Thanks! I'll be reading all week! Enjoy your cruise!

Tina:)

Thanks for posting. We also leave Saturday & it makes it more exciting with someone posting live. I am disappointed to hear Captain Yeoman's is not there anymore. He was nicknamed Captain McCharming. Maybe the new Captain will also read these posts & try to be as Charming.

Thanks for taking the time to do a "Live from." I believe others on previous Ruby sailings said the Internet manager was a pill and didn't provide the 30 extra minutes; hopefully, your experience will be better. And best of luck for getting to do the Chef's Table -- you should find it the absolute highlight of your trip. Meanwhile, we who are stuck on land are eagerly awaiting your next installment!

Thanks for taking us along with you; I sure miss being on the Ruby it was a great trip. If you enjoy coffee make sure you see Carrie Ann in the international cafe on deck 5 - she makes the best! We loved to go down there about 10 pm and have hot chocolate each night; it was great fun.

Ye, That was him...the Internet Manager...a pill:(. He seemed very short answering questions and really did not want to help those who needed him and correct...no free minutes from him if you were Platinum or Elite. Refused to let him annoy me. Didn't even make a note about him on my comment card. Definitely a contracted person!

Part 2

The sun has set with the northern coast of Jamaica in the foreground. We left Ocho Rios a few hours ago after a rather nice day. A quick downpour passed over at about 2:30pm, but luckily we had just stopped into the Hard Rock Café, so we stayed dry. Before that, we had a few drinks at Margarittaville and also lunch and a couple of Red Stripes at Lobster Daves. For $25 per person Dave made us two good plates of lobster and some rice. There were a total of 9 lobsters, so we each 9 half-lobsters. While not as good as New England lobsters (IMHO), they were served in a red garlic-ginger sauce and were quite tasty. Jennifer served the beers but there was some misunderstanding about the price. I could’ve sworn she originally said that the Red Stripes were $2 per beer when we walked in, but when we went to pay she said they were $3 each. Since the extra dollar per beer wouldn’t break me, I went ahead and paid, but I’d recommend paying for the beers as you go to avoid any possible instances of the old “bait-and-switch.”

The Maitre d’s wine tasting was yesterday and was quite enjoyable. 3 whites and 3 reds along with a plate of hors d’ouvers for $25 each and that included Opus 1 as one of the selections. Probably had about 100 people show up.

WOO HOO!!!! Generoso told us last night that we were selected for the Chef’s Table along with another couple at our dining table (CCC Elite members and fellow Cruise Critic lurker, Hello, Chocolate44). We’ll be going tomorrow night after leaving Grand Cayman, so we’ll let you know how it was sometime later. We can hardly wait!

The new production show “Broadway Ballroom,” was very enjoyable. Some of the main singers were actually quite good. As others have said, they have the production shows and comedians play for two performances on two consecutive nights. That way, you don’t have to choose which you’d rather see, but you do have to think about which order you’ll see them in. Hey, we’re on vacation and shouldn’t have to make such hard decisions… ;-)

The band VITALIZED played “unplugged” in the Wheelhouse Bar last night and they were VERY good. It was actually danceable music with lots of couples on the floor. Apparently they only do that unplugged show on Sunday nights in the Wheelhouse, so any other dancers out there should try to remember to check ‘em out on Sundays. During the rest of the week, they play their “normal” music in Explorers Lounge. I’m not sure how their other music is, but we’ll check it out another night.

We have REALLY enjoyed the new VINES wine bar (I’m purposely NOT checking the cabin charge account) and have become very friendly with the Sommelier, Stefano, who hails from Italy. He does have a very good selection of wines (by the glass or the bottle) and even has some that are not available in the dining rooms. I did hear that Princess is in the planning/evaluation stages of having sommeliers recommend and serve wines in the dining rooms rather than forcing the wait staff to take time away from their normal food service duties.

Our cabin steward, Gabriel, has been great. He is very friendly and yet unobtrusive. When we first arrived, I asked for an egg-crate mattress pad as I always do and he said he’d be happy to do it, but recommended that we actually try the bed out first to see if we really wanted the pad. He said since the beds are so new, a number of people that are used to always ask for the egg-crates (like me) have found that they aren’t necessary. Well, lo and behold, he was right! The bed WAS comfortable without the egg-crate.

One other thing I’ve noticed is that you no longer get a copy of the receipt when you sign for a drink or some other room charge. While this doesn’t personally bother me, I know some people like to have them to track their expenses and use them to reconcile their bill. I guess it’s a paper savings initiative. If you really wanted a copy, I guess they’d be able to print one if you asked.

Well, I want to get this on-line before going to Adigo and dinner so I’ll close for now. More to come…

Happy Sailing,

Paul

P.S. I'm in a hurry this evening so I'm posting on the fly. I'll try to get on tomorrow and answer all the questions.

Ye, That was him...the Internet Manager...a pill:(. He seemed very short answering questions and really did not want to help those who needed him and correct...no free minutes from him if you were Platinum or Elite. Refused to let him annoy me. Didn't even make a note about him on my comment card. Definitely a contracted person!

I used my platinum card to get my son access to the internet via his wireless laptop in his cabin. Although I found out afterwards that the free platinum minutes apparently did not include wireless, internet, when we got our final bill the cost of the minutes had been deducted from it so we did get free access:D

Thanks so much for posting. We were on the Ruby in December and had just about the best cruise of our lives. Glad you're enjoying yourselves. Reading your post brought back very fond memories.

I'm wondering if I might ask a small favor. If you find yourselves in the Wheelhouse again during the cruise, would you mind possibly telling the bartender, Carla, that Chris and Derrick say hi and that we miss them all? The crew in the Wheelhouse were just wonderful to us and helped put the experience right over the top.

Thanks so much, if you get the chance, and happy sailing! :D

Enjoy the Chef's Table - we were on board last week and were selected for the Chef's Table as well!

Am sure you will continue to find the service throughout the ship a step up from other Princess ships. Just hope you have better weather than we did last week!

If you frequent Crooners, please send regards to bartenders James and Alexa from Melissa!

Wish we were back on board!

Archived