Suits in one day

New KAJO

Hi,

I hear that there are several shops in Hong Kong, where they make 'made to measure' suits in one day !

Does anyone know where we can find those shops ?

What is the average price of such a suit ?

Is it really ready in one day ?

Thank,

Kajo

When you say one day please define what you mean. (24 hours or the same day). It is possible to get them in 24 hours but you do run the risk that the suit will not fit and you will need another fitting.

What I did was select the material and I returned in about 20 hours for a fitting. And then I had the suit (actually a tuxedo) mailed home to me. Of course there was risk that it would not fit even with the one fitting but it was perfect.

Keith

On one of my excursions, I think it was to Hoi An, a man ordered a suit at the first stop and it was delivered to the bus before we went back to the ship!

When you say one day please define what you mean. (24 hours or the same day). It is possible to get them in 24 hours but you do run the risk that the suit will not fit and you will need another fitting.

What I did was select the material and I returned in about 20 hours for a fitting. And then I had the suit (actually a tuxedo) mailed home to me. Of course there was risk that it would not fit even with the one fitting but it was perfect.

Keith

On one of my excursions, I think it was to Hoi An, a man ordered a suit at the first stop and it was delivered to the bus before we went back to the ship!

This doesn't sound like a made to measure suit to me and if it does the risk is that it won't be right and the person will be stuck with it. I have known people who have done something like this both men and women and they ended up having to throw it out. If you are going to get a custom fitted suit you ought to do it the right way or just save the money and buy a suit at home.

Keith

Hi,

I hear that there are several shops in Hong Kong, where they make 'made to measure' suits in one day !

Does anyone know where we can find those shops ?

What is the average price of such a suit ?

Is it really ready in one day ?

Thank,

Kajo

Hi,

I do it everytime I'm in Hong Kong and am still wearing some of them including my Tux.I usually call it first thing in the morning when they open then return at 2or 3 pm for a fitting and the suit will be ready the next morning. The trick is to call it the shop before you do anything. The price depends on the material Cashmere suits cost around $300-$350 and shirts are babout $30 each. Wool is cheaper. This compares to $1000 in North America.

There are of course cheaper places all over town from $150 for suits with shirt. I have a tailor that I have used for over 15 years and have never had any problems. If you need the name and address let me know.

Steve

Steve I am going to Hong Kong in April and would like the name and address of your tailor.

Marg:)

Hi Marg,

We will be there also at the end of Feb. The address is:

David Chow,

DC Mohex Fashions,

Shop 52, Mirador Mansion gr. floor

56, Nathan Road,

Kowloon,

Tel. 2722 7424.email dcmohex@hotmail.com

By the way he also does Ladies fashions and my wife has had some excellent results. You will also find that you will be accosted by numerous tailors outside their shops offering all sorts of deals.Be careful.

Enjoy your trip.

Steve

We saw him being fitted in the shop. He went back for a second fitting after lunch and then the suit was delivered later in the afternoon. It looked "made to measure" to me.

This doesn't sound like a made to measure suit to me and if it does the risk is that it won't be right and the person will be stuck with it. I have known people who have done something like this both men and women and they ended up having to throw it out. If you are going to get a custom fitted suit you ought to do it the right way or just save the money and buy a suit at home.

Keith

I am curious as to the quality of the tailoring and fabrics in these one day suits. Can anyone elucidate? Thanks.

wripro, the rule that you get what you pay for really applies here.

My only warning is to be careful at the places that will turn them around very quickly. I have known folks who went to places like those and while it turned out well for some folks it did not for others who we know. I know of at least two cases involving two different places that were recommended where folks went for not only two but four fittings because things did not go as planned. And in one case the tuxedo was run over to the ship about 30 minutes before departure and the person told me they would never do that again.

So just keep that in mind. It might have worked for some but just hope you are not in the category where things do not go as planned.

A couple of good recommendations for two stores located in the Hong Kong Peninsuila Hotel.

For all types of dress shirts including tuxedo shirts I would recommend a shirt store called Ascot Chang. They are located in the Peninsuila Hotel. I believe they also have stores in the USA in NYC and in Beverly Hills and they also visit the USA from once a year to take orders in various major cities. This only requires one fitting. We went there first thing one morning and then went back around 12:00 Noon the next day.

For tuxedos I highly recommend Jimmy Chen. They use Chinese tailors rather than tailors from India. I actually had one fitting being of my build but they needed three days to prepare the tuxedo. We just had them send it to our home address so that worked out well. Normally, the would go with two fittings. They did an outstanding job taking the measurements and I can't say enough about them. You pay more there but it shows in the quality of the garment.

Keith

Keith,

Thanks for the info. I'm actually very reluctant to even try this. In truth, I don't need either a suit or a tuxedo but I thought if the prices were significantly lower I'd spring for one. The other thing I need to decide is if I want to give up my limited time in these ports for fittings.

wripro, you are very welcome. As a rule of thumb, we do not like to spend much time in any port shopping. We had a couple of overnights in Hong Kong so we did a little of each only because this was a place where I was hoping to get a tuxedo and possibly some tuxedo shirts. So, we were able to do both.

The Peninsuila Hotel is about a 15-20 minute walk from the Cruise Ship Terminal.

Keith

Keith,

I know Hong Kong pretty well. We've been there a few times. But on this upcoming cruise we'll only have one day and we sail at six. I'll probably pass on a suit. Still, this is all good info. If it's a rainy day maybe I'll change my mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived