RCCL not communicating new room service charge

I just returned from the two day Navigator cruise, and while I'm not thrilled about the new late night room service charge what really bothers me is the way it is, or rather isn't communicated to the passengers.

Yes, most of us who read Cruise Critic are aware that there is a late night room service charge. However if you are not, here is how it is printed in the room service menu -

Next to the item heading there is an asterisk and in print at the bottom of the page it says "late night service fee may apply". No where does it indicate a) the hours for late night service or B) the amount of the fee.

I guess this makes it easy in that if RCCL decides to raise the service fee price or change the "late night" hours they don't have to reprint the menu, but I think this does a real disservice to the passengers and seems deceptive.

If RCCL is going to change the rules or add charges, they need to make sure passengers are aware of the fees, not try to sneak them past us and hope we don't notice.

Yet another reason to be grateful for Cruise Critic for keeping me up to date.

I just returned from the two day Navigator cruise, and while I'm not thrilled about the new late night room service charge what really bothers me is the way it is, or rather isn't communicated to the passengers.

Yes, most of us who read Cruise Critic are aware that there is a late night room service charge. However if you are not, here is how it is printed in the room service menu -

Next to the item heading there is an asterisk and in print at the bottom of the page it says "late night service fee may apply". No where does it indicate a) the hours for late night service or B) the amount of the fee.

I guess this makes it easy in that if RCCL decides to raise the service fee price or change the "late night" hours they don't have to reprint the menu, but I think this does a real disservice to the passengers and seems deceptive.

If RCCL is going to change the rules or add charges, they need to make sure passengers are aware of the fees, not try to sneak them past us and hope we don't notice.

Perhaps, the charges and the hours were not set at the time that the menus were printed. At least they are advising passengers of the possibility of such charges and I imagine that a phone call to guest services once you board, will provide you with the information you require. As you mention, the language does permit them to increase, decrease or even eliminate the charges as they see fit, without reprinting all of the menus, but the actual prices and hours that will be in effect for your cruise can be easily obtained by you or any other passengers who wish to know.:) Indicating that at certain times a surcharge may be imposed isn't exactly "sneaking it" past you. Failure to offer such a notification, inadequate as you may feel it to be, would be worth complaining about.

I'm a very black/white kind of person. I like to know specifics. I would certainly call room service and inquire about the charges before I placed an order.

As a businessperson, I do appreciate why RCCL chose that wording to give itself the flexibility of changing how the service charge is applied -- or not applied should they decide to discontinue it all together (WISHFUL THINKING!!)

I'm sure somewhere in the fine print of the Terms and Conditions, that there is a provision that allows for this. You went on the cruise, and you accepted all the terms when you paid. Nothing to complain about. :cool:

Boy, how many times do we hear that on these boards, eh? haha. Sorry, I just had to throw this in before someone else does. Does someone actually read and understand all those pages of fine print?

Anyways, I agree with the OP... if they are going to change something, then communicate it properly. BUT.. let's allow a reasonable grace period wherein they can get everything done properly.

The suggestion that "you could have called to find out this information" is silly. It's like my TA telling me: Sure, I have a cruise for you, but it will cost you. .. um... ok.. how much? :D

My Hubby mentioned to me the reason why Royal Caribbean is adding the fees is because most likely people do not tip and especially during off hours! We usually order Room Service for most of our meals becuase the Main Dining room is very noisy and hectic and we do not care what people do for a living, or about our jobs or our home life because this is our vacation! Once we're through airport security our vacation officially begins and Hubby and I now focus on Fun and Relaxation!!! We love talking about travel and cruising not about work, the kids which by the way it's just the two of us so we have just grown tired of the Main Dining room many years ago!!! We do make certain that we have plenty of singles and fives on hand to give to our attendant who is serving us in our stateroom becuse after all they are working and we are not because we're the ones who are on VACATION!!! I suppose if charges are not listed for room service one could always call and ask!!! We do not care about the cost because we love Room Service and we will gladly pay within reason any charges because we love dining out on our balcony and just being together!!! Happy Sailings and Bon Voyage!!! Melissa

On the Grandeur last week, the late-night room service charge was listed in the "Frequently Asked Questions / Deckplans" insert, which listed the charge as $3.95 between midnight and 5am. However, if I remember, this didn't come with the first day's Cruise Compass - I picked it up at the Purser's Desk.

Maybe they're still updating the information books in the staterooms? It really should have the hours that carry a fee listed.

If I saw that notation and I was calling room service late at night, I would surely ask if it applied to my order. I would also imagine - having given the notice - that whoever is taking the order will tell the caller than a charge applies. I truly think that is all that is necessary.

On the Grandeur last week, the late-night room service charge was listed in the "Frequently Asked Questions / Deckplans" insert, which listed the charge as $3.95 between midnight and 5am. However, if I remember, this didn't come with the first day's Cruise Compass - I picked it up at the Purser's Desk.

Maybe they're still updating the information books in the staterooms? It really should have the hours that carry a fee listed.

Aaron,

Thank you for posting about the insert that evidently was not inserted. I was wondering, as I read this thread, whether this room service charge was spelled out in the daily Cruise Compass, somewhere around where they list the dining venue hours and prices, if applicable. I always phone my room service order in. Is it possible to use the interactive television to place a room service order, and, if so, are there any on-screen details/costs/times listed?

Leslie

Is the room service charge per stateroom of $3.95 and only from Midnight until 5:00 a.m.? I thought the charge was per person not per stateroom! I thought the hours were 10:00 or 11:00 and went until 6:00 or 7 a.m. Honestly I think 3.95 per stateroom between midnight and 5:00 a.m. is quite fair! Hubby thinks most do not tip between off hours and he said maybe people who are way intoxicated possibly order a ton food and by the time it's delivered to their stateroom they out cold and not even answering their door or phone and that food is getting thrown out! Maybe this charge is to stop drunks and disorderly people from ordering between those hours the same as the Jonny Rockets fee that was added because of the disorderly conduct and from the amounts of food that were being wasted!!! It's possible that people who regularly order Room Service and tip may not even get charged the $3.95! Royal Caribbean at some point may waiver this fee for frequent cruisers or Suite Guests! They may issue coupons in the C&A books for Gold, Platinum, Diamond and D+ members!!! I'm not certain how often we have ever ordered room service between Midnight and 5:00 a.m. I'm thinking not too often and perhaps years ago when the ships stayed docked in Aruba and Nassau until 1 or 3 in the morning!!!! Happy Sailings and Bon Voyage!!! Sincerely, Melissa

And I think it would be quite easy to call room service and inquire about the fees. I see no problem or deception there...

The point I was making is that I was looking at the menu to see if there was mention of the new fee and it was not obvious that the fee existed. If someone wasn't aware or wasn't looking for the fine print they wouldn't know to ask. Hopefully when you call room service during those hours (I didn't try) they would inform the guest of the service charge before they ordered and that person could decide if it was worth it to them or not.

While most organizations, RCCL included, legitimately reserve the right to change or alter their fees and the programs they offer, I feel the way those changes are communicated to the consumer can make a huge difference in how the changes are received.

Interesting about the FAQ insert - we didn't get one. If I had received that information I think that would have been enough. I just was concerned over the small print and vague wording used in the in-room RCCL book. I wonder if the short length of the cruise meant we didn't get all the Compass inserts we would normally?

It was one of the first things my wife noticed after we boarded. Guess she's just good at reading the small print.

Having said that, we both agreed that it seemed absolutely fair. If you order something at that time of the night, why shouldn't you have to pay a surcharge?

They shouldn't have to worry about how clearly they spell out the room service charges because they SHOULDN'T be charging a fee to begin with!

Exactly what qualifies you to determine what rights a company has? You have a right to choose another line since you are not bound by blood or vow:confused: This is NOT our household so we can't dictate what happens just whether or not we care to stay. I apologize if you are on the board of directors and have expert inside knowledge not available to the rest of us cruisers.

Exactly what qualifies you to determine what rights a company has? You have a right to choose another line since you are not bound by blood or vow:confused: This is NOT our household so we can't dictate what happens just whether or not we care to stay. I apologize if you are on the board of directors and have expert inside knowledge not available to the rest of us cruisers.

Pretty sure the word he used was "Shouldn't"

Pretty sure the word he used was "Shouldn't"

I stand corrected, thank you. Still why SHOULDN'T they:confused: Have they met their profit quota and financial obligation to their stockholders. RCCL is a business not some form of charity organization. I know they are offering deals to some that could lead them to beleive that.

Thanks for pointing.....shouldn't;)!

I am sitting here looking at my Day 1 Compass and the fold out/tear off section for the Liberty cruise just back from. In the section related to dining under snacks it clearly states

"Room Service -- Available 24 hours - however, please not a $3.95 service charge will apply for Room Service Light Snack orders between midnight and 5:00 am."

While I know everyone gets upset and thinks RCL is keeping secrets, it might help to read the paperwork left in the cabins each day. We read the Compass from front to back and also looked through the book in the cabin related to services. RCL has provided sufficient information on this issue in my opinion.

Let's not beat a dead horse...

WOW! I mean the $3.95 charge doesn't bother me, but it's like you're really, really pleased that it's there! Why are you defending it so forcefully!? RELAX :D

There really is no excuse here. Royal Caribbean should get this straight and it should be clear to a passenger what the charges and time are.

I agree. No one should be giving RCI excuses. You put the times on the menu that the service fee is implemented...and you tell the fee. That is not difficult and it is good customer service.

Well, I suppose if one is illiterate or semi-literate they'd have no way to know....but then, they wouldn't be reading the menu either, would they?

If the fee is an issue, one could, I suppose, pick up the phone and ASK how much it is and when it applies.

We are all adults, afterall, and should be responsible for ourselves. Do any of us really need a babysitter to tell us not to run with scissors in our hands?

Archived