Alaska-The one thing we must do...

rashrg123

Hi,

I am a Carribean Cruiser and my wife likes Alaska. So surprise...we are going to Alaska!!

We made an agreement. One Alaska cruise and I never have to go back!!!

We are not doing any land tours, but we wanted to know, In your opinion what is the one thing that we can not miss while cruising Alaska?

We are going to Ketchitkan, Sitka, and Juno.

Thanks,

Robert

The float plane to Misty Fjords out of Ketchican comes highly recommended. Expensive, but you won't soon forget it.

i saw that excursion. i was interested but it stated it was only 20 minutes of actual flight time. how much do you really get to see in 20 mins?

i saw that excursion. i was interested but it stated it was only 20 minutes of actual flight time. how much do you really get to see in 20 mins?

I did the floatplane to Misty Fjords with Michelle of Island Wings. Booked it independently, not with the ship. We were in the air at least 40 to 50 minutes total and were on the beach back somewhere in for almost 30 minutes. FABULOUS!!!!!

I did the floatplane to Misty Fjords with Michelle of Island Wings. Booked it independently, not with the ship. We were in the air at least 40 to 50 minutes total and were on the beach back somewhere in for almost 30 minutes. FABULOUS!!!!!

wow-sounds fun. do you have contact info for them or should i just google island wings?

Whale watching in Juneau with Captain Larry "Orca Enterprises". Absolutely out of this world!! I will NEVER forget this experience. We saw humpback whales and Orca's. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

We have been to Alaska twice and the first time we did not book any excursions and just went off on our own. We walked through the Sitka National Park - "free" and it was really nice.

The second trip, we did the whale watching tour in Juneau and a float plane in Ketchikan. We booked our float plane online not through the cruiseline and we both enjoyed it considerably. We had about a 50 minute ride and the plane landed on a lake up in the mountains. Very beautiful scenery - we booked through Southweast Avaiation.

We would love to go back to Alaska again someday ... Alaska is the best cruise destination we have been on so far.

We have been to Alaska twice and I would say the excursion to the dog musher camp was our best experience, especially if you are an animal lover. We don't have any dogs (just two rotten cats) but it was such an educational trip and DH loved the puppies.

But their cruise doesn't go to Vancouver...

I just looked it up on the HAL website and OOPS I APOLOGISE!

I see the cruise does stop in Victoria and starts and ends in Seattle. Just as I would take the extra days to see Seattle if I were visiting Vancouver, I think if your travel plans warrant, you might wish to rent a vehicle and drive up to Vancouver for a few days!

I just looked it up on the HAL website and OOPS I APOLOGISE!

I see the cruise does stop in Victoria and starts and ends in Seattle. Just as I would take the extra days to see Seattle if I were visiting Vancouver, I think if your travel plans warrant, you might wish to rent a vehicle and drive up to Vancouver for a few days!

That's what we did when we sailed on the Amsterdam out of Seattle; we first spent a few days in Vancouver. It is a beautiful city. ;)

wow-sounds fun. do you have contact info for them or should i just google island wings?

Here's the link http://www.islandwings.com/

Michelle is wonderful. I do see that she's charging $20 more for the tour this year vs. last year. Yes, Alaska excursions are expensive, but generraly worth it. This one is more than worth it!:)

You must go with Michele of Island Wings in Ketchikan and with Davey on the Esther G in Sitka.

This is the best way to spend your time in Alaska - seeing Alaska with people who love it and know the area.

These excursions are pricey but if you are only going once to Alaska then these are totally worth your money.

IMO :)

Whale watching with Harv and Marv in Juneau. Great. Just 5 pax on the

boat. Private tour at "regular" prices. Whale watching on a ships shorex

is usually on a large double deck catamaran with as many as 100 pax

Buchart Gardens in Victoria. Stunningly beautiful.

While I understand Alaska is not a warm, beachy cruise, it's got THE best scenery (well, next to New Zealand) I've ever seen. We've been on three Alaskan cruises.

We took an excursion in Sitka from the Zaandam that was called "Sea Otter Quest". (It was a couple of years ago.) Incredible tour. We saw seals, sea otters and whales and jelly fish and fishermen netting salmon. (Oh, my!)

In Juneau, we grabbed our own whale watching tour from Dolphin Jet Boat Tours from the dock after arrival because it was a business trip, and my husband had had to teach a seminar that morning. We beat Captain Larry to the whales! I highly recommend them.

We did the sea kayaking in Ketchikan. It was interesting, but I wouldn't do it again. Very rainy and really not that much to see.

People we were with raved, absolutely RAVED, about their plane flight to see bears. (I'm not sure what it was called.)

On previous visits, we've done the Mendenhall Glacier river float trip in Juneau. We did Creek Street and the Totems in Ketchikan (Saxman Village, I think), and the Misty Fjords float plane one time. (I got incredibly airsick, but at least when we docked, I did not lie down and let the other passengers walk past me like one lady did. :eek:) In Sitka, we've done a Russian dance show and the Russian-America history stuff.

And there's still so much to do, we've got to go back!

I have photos on webshots of our 2006 trip.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/552873190WLMTHU

Good luck! I hope you love it.

Robin

Last year we took the Amsterdam from Seattle to Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria.

I prefer warm weather & southern cruises and wasn't sure I would enjoy somewhere cloudy, snowy, cold. I really enjoyed our cruise and couldn't believe the beautiful scenery everywhere we looked.

My advice would be to relax and take in the nature & wildlife. It really wasn't that cold, we only had a few cloudy days, and Glacier Bay was beyond words.

As far as excursions, we did the Mendenhall Glacier & Gardens tour and then the Mt Roberts tram in Juneau, Wildlife Quest in Sitka, walked around on our own in Ketchikan, and took the island tour with tea at the Empress in Victoria-we liked all of them.

I don't think you can go wrong in Alaska. :)

Archived