sydney beaches

stereo

Hi all---I will be in Sydney at the end of March. Assuming that the weather and water are warm enough to swim--which is better?--Manly or Bondi--Why should I go to one or the other. Could someone please advise?Thanks

Is Manly Beach the one that you take a ferry to? How long does it take and what else is there to do besides swimming.
Yes, you can take a ferry there and for most visitors it's probably the best way. Manyly is quite a big urban centre. There is also an aquarium, shops (largely mediocre), and a large number of restaurants and cafes. The best of Manly is probably to be found along the beach - which, for the avoidance of doubt is the one that faces the ocean, not the one on the harbour by the ferry wharf. You can also walk from Manly to North Head, from where there are some excellent views of the harbour.

Thanks Globaliser---While Sydney may have many other beaches that are probably better for swimming and less crowded---since Iam travelling a long long way--have to brag and tell my friends that I swam at---......Believe it or not one friend asked me why I wanted to fly all the way to NZ/OZ to go on a cruise. --lots of cruises leave from the US.

d

Definitely Manly ... unless you have to say "I swam at Bondi"

It's a beautiful 30 minute trip on the ferry from Circular Quay and you have either a harbour or surf beach to choose from. There are also some great walks along the beaches, adjoining coves and cliffs. And don't forget, the standard fare is "fish and chips(fries)" on the beachfront ... and make sure you buy $3 worth of chips, not $2 ... as you'll need $1 worth for the seagulls !

Hi all---I will be in Sydney at the end of March. Assuming that the weather and water are warm enough to swim--which is better?--Manly or Bondi--Why should I go to one or the other. Could someone please advise?Thanks

If you decide on Bondi, I recommend you start at North Bondi.

It is less crowded, with one of Sydney's famous ocean rock pools, and popular little ocean front cafes. You can catch a bus right there from Circular Quay.

If you are energetic you can walk the length of Bondi Beach, then a really beautiful walk around to Bronte Beach, swimming at a number of beaches on the way. You can catch a bus back to Circular Quay from Bronte Beach.

Last week we caught the bus to North Bondi, then another bus to Watson's Bay for fish and chips on the harbour, before catching a ferry back to Circular Quay.

Whilst I love Manly, the ferry trip across the harbour is the least interesting of all the ferry trips, as the ferry travels across the centre of the harbour, so you miss the beautiful views.

BTW - If you buy a day pass you can catch trains, busses and ferries all day, which I do every visit.

Last week we caught the bus to North Bondi, then another bus to Watson's Bay for fish and chips on the harbour, before catching a ferry back to Circular Quay.

You know I think that is one of the best and cheapest day trips to in Sydney. You can do it in reverse if you want. Also if you like to walk a bit you can get off the bus at the lighthouse near Watson Bay and walk along the cliffs and work up your appetite for lunch and a beer.

The cost is $17 for your daytripper ticket and whatever you spend on lunch (or at the shops in Bondi)

My teen and I plan to be in Oz in late June / early July. What are the typical water temperatures at Sydney beaches in winter? Are the beach and water conditions nice that time of year? (We live in southern California and in winter our beaches are cold and sometimes unsafe for swimming which is why I ask). We are also going to Cairns and plan to do a lot of snorkeling so we don't feel like swimming in Sydney is a "must do". Thanks in advance!

My teen and I plan to be in Oz in late June / early July. What are the typical water temperatures at Sydney beaches in winter? Are the beach and water conditions nice that time of year? (We live in southern California and in winter our beaches are cold and sometimes unsafe for swimming which is why I ask). We are also going to Cairns and plan to do a lot of snorkeling so we don't feel like swimming in Sydney is a "must do". Thanks in advance!

Save your swimming for Cairns, although there are "icebergs" who swim all year. However, winter is a beautiful time for beach and harbour walks, when the weather is milder.

As a Sydneysider myself, I would actually recommend Cronulla Beach, but its a train trip of about 45 minutes from Sydney. Theres a real seaside feel to this suburb, lots of stores, lots of excellent restaurants facing the sea. If you can hire a car and do a driving tour of the south coast I'd really recommend it - from Stanwell Tops where the hanggliders sail from, down over the Sea Cliff Bridge to Thirroul and on to all the Wollongong beaches, and continue to Kiama to the Blow Hole and onwards. Can you tell, I love the South Coast!

What about Coogee???

Ciao for now!!!

Coogee is a great beach and less crowded than Bondi, but like Bondi it's not so easy to get to as Manly. I always recommend a trip to Manly for visitors because it is a great beach but also the trip there and back by ferry offers them a memorable experience.

Cheers

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

All the beaches in Sydney are great.

But if you are a cruise passenger in Sydney

with only 1 day

in that fantastic city ....

you only have 2 choices in the

time frame

The Manly ferry

The Bondi Explorer bus.

My tip is the the Manly ferry,

as it gives you the total Sydney experience.

• 2 weeks later...
We did not go to Manly beach, but did go to Bondi beach a week or so ago, and hiked the scenic walkway to Bronte(?) beach. It was very nice- but hot!

Yes, I should have mentioned that you need to walk early or late in the day in our summer heat, as there is no shade on this coastal walk.

Hope you had a swim at each end!

"Whilst I love Manly, the ferry trip across the harbour is the least interesting of all the ferry trips, as the ferry travels across the centre of the harbour, so you miss the beautiful views. "

I don't think so - the harbour isn't THAT big - the entire harbour is beautiful. The Quay to Manly trip would have to be one of the MUST DO's of Sydney.

Also nice is Balmoral Beach on the harbour - probably best to get a taxi there.

Another good trip is the public bus from Wynyard in the city up to Palm Beach - travels over Middle Harbour (Spit Bridge) various northern suburbs then past Long Reef with a great view of Dee Why and Collaroy beaches. Then follows the coastal suburbs up to "Palmy" where some of the jetsetters live. Or just before Palm Beach is Avalon - a great little beach with good surf and a village style but upmarket shopping area with lots of great places for lunch. The trip from the city to Palm Beach (or Avalon takes about 1.5 hours each way.

"Also nice is Balmoral Beach on the harbour - probably best to get a taxi there.

If you are a walker, you can get the Taronga Zoo ferry then do the most glorious walk along the harbour foreshore to Balmoral Beach, eat at the Kiosk, then catch the bus back to the city.

As JannieAnne said Sydney has many beautiful beach choices.

Archived