Darling Harbour Cruise Terminal to Close

The stupid State Government is moving the Cruise Terminal from Darling Harbour to White Bay. That area is already a traffic nightmare. I'd suggest emailing protests to Joe Tripodi, the Minister for Ports and Waterways. His email address is:-

joe@tripodi.minister.nsw.gov.au

It wouldn't hurt to email your local member of State (if you are in NSW) and Federal Parliament, too.

The article from the Sydney Morning Herald:-

Brian Robins

January 29, 2009

OVERLOOKING a disused power station, with not a coffee shop or restaurant in sight, Balmain's White Bay will become the entry point for hundreds of thousands of international tourists visiting Sydney.

For residents of the inner west, the decision means a peninsula that already carries heavy traffic will face even more congestion each time a cruise ship comes to port.

For a city trying to revamp its tourist appeal, the journey from the terminal across Anzac Bridge to the city's main attractions would take the gloss off the visit.

"White Bay is a sub-optimal location," said Ann Sherry, the head of Carnival Australia, which handles the largest number of cruise ships visiting Sydney.

The Government announced the little-noticed decision just before Christmas.

The Minister for Ports, Joe Tripodi, and the Planning Minister, Kristina Keneally, are behind the move to White Bay, which will create political difficulties for the local member, Verity Firth, a rising star in the Government, who holds the education portfolio. She holds the seat of Balmain by a margin of only 3.75 per cent and any backlash could let the seat fall to the Greens.

"As far as we are concerned the Government has not thought through the idea at all," said the Leichhardt Mayor, Jamie Parker.

"It is a high-density residential area and traffic in and out of White Bay is already a nightmare."

Each cruise ship arrival would involve 600-1000 traffic movements, and at least 30 truck movements, which would be repeated for each departure.

Port facilities for visiting cruise ships were included in the initial Barangaroo redevelopment at East Darling Harbour but they have since been dropped.

The Government says cruise ships need an onshore "exclusion zone" for immigration and customs, which will be available only at White Bay, even though internationally such facilities are incorporated in port-side shopping malls.

The Government has said the White Bay terminal will be temporary, but the existing Darling Harbour facility was also supposed to be temporary and it has been in use for a decade.

When it is operational, the White Bay terminal will handle more than 75 vessels a year.

Cruise ship demand is well ahead of port capacity but the Government has yet to clarify its longer-term thinking for the industry, particularly whether White Bay will be a permanent solution.

"For a State Government so keen on big announcements, they sure kept this one under wraps," the Opposition ports spokesman, Andrew Stoner, said.

"Residents and the local council were not even told about the plans. If Joe Tripodi and Verity Firth want a cruise ship terminal built in Balmain they should have at least have had the guts to consult with the local community."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/terminal-a-nightmare-for-residents/2009/01/28/1232818532082.html

Gee I hope the NSW Government has a change of heart - the current location is just perfect for us people from interstate. We can spend the night before our cruise in Darling Harbour, wander down to the Wharf and have no transport hassles!!!

3 sleeps to go!!!

Hi there, we heard a whisper last year that this would happen, however when I mentioned it on CC, I was told I was wrong.

The cruise industry has so many passengers passing through on a regular basis, there will have to be a decent second terminal .

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

I cant understand the move away from Pier 8. I realise the area is up for redevelopment but the cruise ships could be used as an attraction in themselves. Look how many people go to Circular Quay to view the ships. And it is not as if there is a ship in every single day of the year.

When I was told that a new Terminal was being planned, I always assumed it would be beside the present one. Surely there is enough room along there to berth 3 cruise all at once if need be...as long as they can get under the bridge.

I'd rather see the ships terminal at Newcastle than White Bay! Just when we have cheap accommodation right near the Wharf 8 terminal, easy to get to from the train, 24 hr convenience store, coffee shops everywhere, pub across the road, WHY SHIFT?????

No doubt someone wants to build 5 star accommodation in that area!

This is typical of the State Government no planning this terminal must stay at Darling. The proposed site is distant from the city and the roads are already grid locked with traffic. Sydney is the best Harbor in the world. There is also a problem with terminals east of the bridge the ships are getting larger the Mellenium had had to anchor in the Harbor. Celebrity have with it next year from Australia. The QM has to dock at the Naval Base. The cruise lines bring in millions of dollars to the economy of Sydney this will stop unless the government provides the proper facilities. The terminal at Circular Quay and Darling Harbor are inadequate and both need urgent upgrading.

Richard West

Do the Govt not realise that passengers arrive in Sydney to join their cruise from all parts of the globe.Just go out to the International airport and see the busloads that arrive and depart.

Interstate passengers flow through the Domestic terminal on turnaround days as well .

From that article it would appear P&O are not very happy.

Ms Sherry said the current cruise terminal at Darling Harbour encouraged passengers to progressively arrive because it was close to the cafes, restaurants, shops and other activity.

Families drop their bags at the terminal and then use it as an opportunity to sightsee, visiting Sydney Aquarium and other sites. In addition, the wharf was close to Wynyard railway station, which encouraged some passengers to use public transport.

"There is so much to see and do around Darling Harbour. In comparison, White Bay is bleak with no buzz or energy to encourage passengers to spend their time or money before getting onto the ship," Ms Sherry said.

"The NSW Government has an opportunity to create a world-class cruise facility but, based on the plans we’ve been shown, it is a shed at White Bay with nothing else around it."

The state government are a joke, by attempting to "cheap out" on cruise terminals they will effectively destroy the cruising industry which is growing rapidly in Australia at the same time affecting the amount of taxes contributed to the economy.

They should facilitate growth in the indutry by improving the facility at Darling Harbour or building a new or improved one in similar location which will bring more cruise ships as well as improve Australia's tourism industry.

If cruise terminal moved from Wharf 8 or OPT our decision to cruise would definitely be affected, these are in such convient locations for public transport/city buses.

As well as doing cruises from, and to, both the OPT and Darling Harbour Wharf 8,

I have done a few World Cruise segments and can say without any shadow of doubt

that overseas visitors I have talked with, look forward with

eager anticipation to sailing into Sydney Harbour.

For the most part it is the scenery from the best harbour in the World,

but it is also the excitement that arriving at the present terminals engenders.

Very few places on this globe can offer what Sydney can to visitors, and locals as well.

WHY OH WHY do those in authourity want to throw it all away?

As sailawaysally says ,perhaps they have never cruised before,

or perhaps they are tied up in the time warp

whereby they think cruising is only the domain of the rich and famous.

Will we be the guinea pigs or are other ships departing from there prior to this date?

Looks like you will be second. Amadea is using it to move to for her stay,and on your day,there will be Black Watch and Diamond Princess in town.

Looks like it is just being used so far as an overflow. Love to hear back though about what it was like to leave from there.

http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_operations/cruise_schedule

Amadea 18-Feb-2009 06:00 (Wed) 19-Feb-2009 01:00 (Thu) Overseas Passenger Terminal ISS Vships

Amadea 19-Feb-2009 02:00 (Thu) 19-Feb-2009 23:30 (Thu) 5 White Bay ISS Vships

Queen Victoria 19-Feb-2009 06:00 (Thu) 20-Feb-2009 18:30 (Fri) Overseas Passenger Terminal CVL Cunard

Tahitian Princess 19-Feb-2009 07:00 (Thu) 19-Feb-2009 22:00 (Thu) Wharf 8 - Darling Harbour CVL Princess Cruises

Black Watch 21-Feb-2009 07:00 (Sat) 23-Feb-2009 18:30 (Mon) Wharf 8 - Darling Harbour BWL Fred Olsen Cruise Lines

Diamond Princess 22-Feb-2009 06:00 (Sun) 22-Feb-2009 21:00 (Sun) Overseas Passenger Terminal CVL Princess Cruises

Dawn Princess 22-Feb-2009 07:00 (Sun) 22-Feb-2009 16:00 (Sun) 5 White Bay CVL Princess Cruises

We are on the Dawn Princess departing Feb. 22nd. Our departure has been changed to White Bay. Will we be the guinea pigs or are other ships departing from there prior to this date?

Friends of ours are also on Dawn Princess, leaving from White Bay on 22 Feb, they are spewing also. What a joke, no consultation with local council and community is against State Government policies, but they got away with it. A disgrace of a place for our people and international visitors to embark and disembark from.

ALSO, think of the ships crews who rarely get ashore, and at White Bay they will have a problem, no public transport, taxi fares are way out of their price range and the return journey times by shuttle bus (if provided) would make it difficult for crew to visit the Sydney CBD. The crew will not be happy campers, in fact they will be unhappy vegemites.

ALSO, think of the ships crews who rarely get ashore, and at White Bay they will have a problem, no public transport, taxi fares are way out of their price range and the return journey times by shuttle bus (if provided) would make it difficult for crew to visit the Sydney CBD. The crew will not be happy campers,

Thats a very good point you have made.

happy crew =happy ship=happy cruise

ALSO, think of the ships crews who rarely get ashore, and at White Bay they will have a problem, no public transport, taxi fares are way out of their price range and the return journey times by shuttle bus (if provided) would make it difficult for crew to visit the Sydney CBD. The crew will not be happy campers, in fact they will be unhappy vegemites.

It's not that there are no ports in the city - as it stands the OPT is still in place. Given there are a number of ports in this part of the world which are even further away from the destination and that it's still likely they can sometimes berth closer in, I don't see that it will be such a turn-off for the crew. Most of the crew I've spoken to don't get off at each port each time anyway (they're too tired!), so will more likely choose those occasions when it is a more convenient location for them.

I understood the crew always looked forward to Sydney as even if they only had a couple of hours off they could make the most of it as everything is right there for them and they dont have to spend time travelling into town.

At White Bay they will only have time to get into town then come back.......

thats if the taxi driver knows the way.

I understood the crew always looked forward to Sydney as even if they only had a couple of hours off they could make the most of it as everything is right there for them and they dont have to spend time travelling into town.

At White Bay they will only have time to get into town then come back.......

thats if the taxi driver knows the way.

Exactly David..the crew opportunity for a few hours ashore and well earned too will be impacted upon. Think of the lost $ to the economy at Darling Harbour, many retailers and restaurant owners at Darling Harbour are already struggling, this will sink a few of them.

It's not that there are no ports in the city - as it stands the OPT is still in place. Given there are a number of ports in this part of the world which are even further away from the destination and that it's still likely they can sometimes berth closer in, I don't see that it will be such a turn-off for the crew. Most of the crew I've spoken to don't get off at each port each time anyway (they're too tired!), so will more likely choose those occasions when it is a more convenient location for them.

The cost of berthing at OPT is about 4 times the price of berthing cost at Darling Harbour. While I'm sure that P&O and Princess would love to dock there every cruise it is just not possible. The prices of cruises would have to go up to help cover it. :eek:

Darling Harbour it a fantastic place for the wharf and it should stay there, for all the reason that have been posted above!!!

Archived