Travel Agent?

cruzanisfun

I read a lot on these boards about people using travel agents to book their cruises. What are the advantages to using them? All of the trips I have been on, I have planned myself. I always wait until I have the money saved up and then get on and purchase the cruise, airline ticket, hotel, rental car, or what have you. This has always worked great for me as I love to plan things and do research.

The only advantages I could come up with for using TAs is that they do the planning if you don't have the time and using them allows you to pay in installments for cruises at least, right? A big disadvantage to me though seems to be the fact that you have to PAY them. I'd just as soon keep that money for use on my trip! :D

Anyway, just curious about all this...

Sometimes travel agents can offer you better deals on travel, as they buy "packages" from cruise lines and airlines, and in effect, re-sell them. And if you're not real internet-savvy, they can make all those arrangements for you that you've made yourself. For a long time, some cruise lines and airlines wouldn't accept reservations "direct", and you had to go through an agent to do anything. Obviously with the internet, all that has changed. I suspect that TA's are a dying breed. I think it'll be a great loss, particularly to the novice traveller.

I am like you in that I plan and reserve my trips myself. However, I do use a travel agent to reserve cruises, mainly for price. Unless the cruise line prohibits discounting (such as RCCL or Celebrity), you can often get a better price with an online agency than directly thru the cruise line - this is true in particular with HAL, although often you have to phone the agency or use a site like cruise compete to get the best pricing.

I'm not sure what you mean by having to pay the agencies. Unless you're talking about agencies charging user fees, they are paid thru commissions from the supplier, i.e. hotels, cruise lines, etc. Just because you book direct doesn't mean you'll get a discount equivalent to the whole amount of their commission - you might get it for less, but not that much less.

I read a lot on these boards about people using travel agents to book their cruises. What are the advantages to using them? All of the trips I have been on, I have planned myself. I always wait until I have the money saved up and then get on and purchase the cruise, airline ticket, hotel, rental car, or what have you. This has always worked great for me as I love to plan things and do research.

The only advantages I could come up with for using TAs is that they do the planning if you don't have the time and using them allows you to pay in installments for cruises at least, right? A big disadvantage to me though seems to be the fact that you have to PAY them. I'd just as soon keep that money for use on my trip! :D

Anyway, just curious about all this...

I just booked my first cruise...and read a lot here on CC before I did.

Since my cruise was very far off (2011)...no one could really help me..until a schedule was out. (naturally)

I was in contact with about 5 TA's in total for a few months. (2 in my hometown/3 online)

The only person to keep in constant contact with me and get in touch with me as soon as the 2011 schedule was out...was the Personal Cruise Consultant from NCL.

When I saw the schedule out...I contacted the 5 TA's and asked for some quotes. Only one online agency wrote back to me with the schedule and pricing. One very large national agency...who has a store here in my hometown....actually told me that they didn't have prices for the NCL cruise yet...but could they help me with something else. Since I did have the prices...I told them that their services were no longer needed.

I am still waiting for 3 online agencies to get back to me. I thought at the time when I was assigned an actual person to email and call...that I could rely on them...but this has not been the case for me.

Needless to say...I booked with the Consultant from NCL. He took the deposit and within 5 minutes I saw our reservation on the NCL website and was emailed a receipt. He emailed me again this week and said he would remain in touch monthly...just in case another promotion or price drop could be applied to my reservation. So far I am very pleased with his service.

If you know a local agency...going in and asking questions couldn't hurt. If you go with an online agency..I would ask a lot of questions first...and realize that I may have to do my own research and call them instead of expecting them to call me.

Even if you research and book yourself....things can still go wrong. I guess I like having someone to be able to go to if a problem comes up.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a nice vacation.

You dont PAY the TA, the cruiseline does. It costs you nothing extra.

That being said, the only reason I use a TA is because they give me a discount. If you are not getting either a discount on the cruisefare or a extra perk like OBC, then I would book thru the cruiseline. Many upsells seem to ONLY go to those who booked thru Carnival for instance Iv noticed. Cheaper upgrades. You have more control over your booking if you book thru the cruiseline directly.

The others are correct. You can get much better pricings through TA's on some cruise lines, not all. Shop around for pricing and you might be surprised at how much you save.

CG

Just wanted to add that the pricing I did receive from the agencies...was the same as NCL. The OBC and deposit amount required was also the same.

But I have read that others do save on certain cruises with some online agencies. Since you do like the research...going to various sites and checking the prices to compare may work best for you.

This is good information. I didn't realize that you don't pay the travel agent. I figured you had to pay them something for their services, but I guess the cruise line does that, huh? I always book everything thru Expedia, and I've found that their prices are better than what is offered thru the cruise lines direct...at least on-line.

So far, I've found that the on line agencies are about the same price as if I booked direct with the cruise line. But I always check. If you book through a TA, the cruise line won't talk to you. They tell you to contact your TA. Also, I have seen complaints about on line TAs ignoring you once you have paid.

Just be careful with the on-line agencies. One of the biggies just went under - they were taking deposits from guests and then just walked - passengers lost the deposit and didn't have a reservation! Also, some of them charge a fee everytime you contact them with a question or minor change i.e. dining times, etc. Not to mention, if you have a problem with airline cancellations or delays, you've got to deal with that yourself. As a TA, that is one of the services I take responsibility for - if there is a problem during travel, I will do whatever I can to help my client and be a voice for them.

I just put people on a 10-day HAL cruise on Monday - they admitted they could have gotten it a few $$ cheaper online through an unknown online agency, but they know me and like dealing with someone they know. And you can better believe I will remember that loyalty. Some of these online agencies also discount to get the volume and waive their commissions to under-sell other TAs which is unethical, but some do it anyway.

Are we a dying breed? - oh, I don't know about that. Most of us have a real passion for what we do. I love travel and working with the people to help them plan - I'm just glad I don't have to feed my family on what I make! :eek:

Robin G

Just be careful with the on-line agencies. One of the biggies just went under - they were taking deposits from guests and then just walked - passengers lost the deposit and didn't have a reservation! Also, some of them charge a fee everytime you contact them with a question or minor change i.e. dining times, etc. Not to mention, if you have a problem with airline cancellations or delays, you've got to deal with that yourself. As a TA, that is one of the services I take responsibility for - if there is a problem during travel, I will do whatever I can to help my client and be a voice for them.

I just put people on a 10-day HAL cruise on Monday - they admitted they could have gotten it a few $$ cheaper online through an unknown online agency, but they know me and like dealing with someone they know. And you can better believe I will remember that loyalty. Some of these online agencies also discount to get the volume and waive their commissions to under-sell other TAs which is unethical, but some do it anyway.

Are we a dying breed? - oh, I don't know about that. Most of us have a real passion for what we do. I love travel and working with the people to help them plan - I'm just glad I don't have to feed my family on what I make! :eek:

Robin G

That would be why my mother no longer does it full time :(

As someone else said , i did all leg work , and contact , ta throught cruise compete to book cruise , was real friendly when booking 3 rooms , but once paid in full ... that was it.... took a whlie to answer emails, then she did., with lies.... so i will be looking for a new Ta next cruise:)

If you have a good TA, he/she will watch out for you. He/she will look for price drops and give you a lower price. If the agent's company has an existing group on the cruise you are going, the TA can add you to the group and give you discounts and/or freebies that you can't get directly from the cruise line or online.

Archived