Pacific princess open dining

Parrot Mom

I hate getting misinformation!!!! Getting pushed up from 11th to 15th for first seating doesn't seem PC.. since he is diabetic...there will be hell to pay...if we cannot get first seatng for him.. No, he doesn't do buffets, nor do I

I assume that this is for Alaska?

When we did basically the same cruise last year on the Tahitian, one evening the Maitre d' stopped by our table to chat, and he talked about early vs late dining on the ship.

He said for Alaska, everyone wants early dining, and in Europe everyone wants late dining.....and those Alaskan cruisers that "demand" early even show up with notes from the Doctor...and in Europe, they show up with Doctor's notes demanding late seating. He says he had even been given notes from Plastic Surgeons demanding the the cruiser be given the seating that they wanted "If Joe does not eat at 5:30pm his nose will fall off....".

just hope that the waitlist accommodates you, because lots of people will be competing with you on the ship to get their dining time changed.

Since my husband has Type 2 Diabetes I assume that is a good reason..and Open Dining is not an option on this ship. As for the buffets he maybe walking with a rolling walker...so carrying trays is not an option...although I'm sure staff would help.. they do on Celebrity..

Since my husband has Type 2 Diabetes I assume that is a good reason..and Open Dining is not an option on this ship. As for the buffets he maybe walking with a rolling walker...so carrying trays is not an option...although I'm sure staff would help.. they do on Celebrity..
There's only one dining room on the Pacific Princess so there's no option for Anytime dining. However, as has been said, there is the buffet and the staff is more than happy to help out anyone needing assistance. They'll jump right in to help you, find a table, make sure you get your beverages, etc.

FYI, Personal Choice means that you have options for dining: dining room, 24/7 buffet, room service, specialty restaurant or Ultimate Balcony breakfast or dinner. In the evenings, in addition to the buffet, there is an area of the buffet set aside for the "Bistro" which has a limited menu wait service.

With food available 24/7, your husband shouldn't have a problem.

I hate getting misinformation!!!! Getting pushed up from 11th to 15th for first seating doesn't seem PC.. since he is diabetic...there will be hell to pay...if we cannot get first seatng for him.. No, he doesn't do buffets, nor do I
If you don't make it off the waitlist, go to the Maitre D' when you board and explain your problem. I'm sure he'll accommodate you. Relax... this isn't as big a problem as you think and Princess and the Maitre D will make it right. The Maitre D has the last word when it comes to who is at what table and seating, so he's the one who will make everything work for you. See him as soon as you board. :)

SECOND SEATING IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT an option..and to add insult to injury when we were last waitlisted we were #11...today we are #15... What is that about...I hate to have an attitude before I even get on the cruise..but I'm sure things will work out.. I won't stand back and allow it not to.

SECOND SEATING IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT an option..and to add insult to injury when we were last waitlisted we were #11...today we are #15... What is that about...I hate to have an attitude before I even get on the cruise..but I'm sure things will work out.. I won't stand back and allow it not to.
The waitlist is not an absolute as there are some instances where priority is given to passengers in full suites, most # of cruises, etc. As I said, go to the Maitre D and ask, explaining the situation, and he'll take care of you. Rather than approaching him "loaded for bear," say you've got a problem and you're looking to him to help you out. He'll help you. Really. You've got a legitimate medical reason that will be honored. I promise. :)

Heck, I've seen people fighting with the Maitre D for 2nd seating for really stupid reasons such as in one case, the woman couldn't get her 9YO daughter ready for dinner in less than two hours so thus they HAD to have late seating.

Have you spoken with or contacted the Special needs dept. at all yet? You certainly should and tell them that you medically require first seating, that should be an end to it. The regulations they are required to follow say that they must make any reasonable accomodation a guest requires medically. Having an early seating is certainly a reasonable accomodation.

I assume that this is for Alaska?

When we did basically the same cruise last year on the Tahitian, one evening the Maitre d' stopped by our table to chat, and he talked about early vs late dining on the ship.

He said for Alaska, everyone wants early dining, and in Europe everyone wants late dining.....and those Alaskan cruisers that "demand" early even show up with notes from the Doctor...and in Europe, they show up with Doctor's notes demanding late seating. He says he had even been given notes from Plastic Surgeons demanding the the cruiser be given the seating that they wanted "If Joe does not eat at 5:30pm his nose will fall off....".

just hope that the waitlist accommodates you, because lots of people will be competing with you on the ship to get their dining time changed.

We must have spoke with the same Maitre d' at some point in time. We were told the same thing about the notes some passengers bring. And they do not pay any attention to them no matter what doctor they are from.

Booking very early is about the only way I know of to be assured of your dining preference.

As for why the list is growing? I am going to guess that some in the full suites have changed their dining preference, since they are given priority.

Even though you don't enjoy buffets, if your seating preference isn't possible, this is exactly what they will suggest if someone needs to eat at a certain time I am afraid.

The Pacific, Toyal and Tahitian Princesses have only one dining room. This room is used for Traditional Dining. They do not have Anytime Dining on these ships.

If it is a health issue for your husband, perhaps you should change to a date or ship where you can get first seating.

Might I point out that handing a Dr. note to a Maitre d' and going through Princess Special needs department before ever taking the trip are two very different things.

She should be able to get this need met before they ever set foot on the ship.

The Pacific, Toyal and Tahitian Princesses have only one dining room. This room is used for Traditional Dining. They do not have Anytime Dining on these ships.

If it is a health issue for your husband, perhaps you should change to a date or ship where you can get first seating.

Right this moment I am on a rant.. and comments like that do not help.. I am finding that the cruisers on our particular cruise are not the type I have encountered on Celebrity and that is NOT a compliment....sadly to say..By the time i've embarked honey will drip from my lips..

Might I point out that handing a Dr. note to a Maitre d' and going through Princess Special needs department before ever taking the trip are two very different things.

She should be able to get this need met before they ever set foot on the ship.

I am not trying to be unsympathetic to this issue, but there is food available at other venues.

Booking very early to make sure you have the correct seating for your medical condition would be the key here. I am sure if there was a way to find out, there would be dozens, probably hundreds, of diabetics onboard any given cruise.

It's not like there is nothing else available except the assigned diningroom.

Hopefully someone else that booked very early for this reason doesn't get bumped off first seating because of poor planning or someone ranting (your words, not mine). IMHO of coarse, as usual.

Right this moment I am on a rant.. and comments like that do not help.. I am finding that the cruisers on our particular cruise are not the type I have encountered on Celebrity and that is NOT a compliment....sadly to say..By the time i've embarked honey will drip from my lips..

wow.....and I thought people were trying to be helpful.

As I told you I was on a rant....lol. but dining in alternative restaurants everynight is also NOT an option...we do not do buffets..I am not paying for a two week cruise to eat at buffets.. And for booking early.. this was a last minute (December) special which we grabbed, because it is MY dream trip. But I will tell you that the people we have met on the Celebrity Boards are much more understanding.. Sorry, as I said I'm on a rant, because of two women on our cruise..

As I told you I was on a rant....lol. but dining in alternative restaurants everynight is also NOT an option...we do not do buffets..I am not paying for a two week cruise to eat at buffets.. And for booking early.. this was a last minute (December) special which we grabbed, because it is MY dream trip. But I will tell you that the people we have met on the Celebrity Boards are much more understanding.. Sorry, as I said I'm on a rant, because of two women on our cruise..

Parrot Mom, Actually if you just recently booked this sailing, you are very lucky to be that close to the top on the waiting list for first seating. I would have guessed more in the 100's instead of being in the mid teens.

Guess that is one of those lessons learned. If you need a particular seating for meals, you have to really think far in advance. If you are looking for last minute pricing, normally you get whats left to be had.

But checking with them when you board would be your only salvation on this one. You could try sending a letter to the medical department, although I am not sure how much good that would do at this late date. Worth a try I guess.

Good luck, and hope you find your next Celebrity cruise more to your liking, along with it's passengers. ;)

I am not trying to be unsympathetic to this issue, but there is food available at other venues.

Sorry, this is not a good response for this situation. The OP should not be forced to missing the dining room experience for an entire cruse due to a health issue.

Sorry, this is not a good response for this situation. The OP should not be forced to missing the dining room experience for an entire cruse due to a health issue.

Who mentioned missing the dining experience? There are ways for diabetics to 'get through' to their next meal without having dinner every night at the buffet. This option keeps their blood sugar levels where they should be UNTIL they have dinner at late seating.

A few of you have gone overboard..lol..My husband is Type 2, not Type 1.. and it's not a life or death situation for him, but he does feel better dining earlier. ALSO, he will be using for the first time a walker (sadly) and being able to sit down instead of going to a buffet is obviously much more desirable.(and don't tell me staff will carry the tray). There is no OPEN SEATING on the Pacific Princess. As for the comment on "changing ships".. that was entirely unnecessary. Unusual circumstances brought this particular cruise to our attention mid-December..Normally, we book our cruises as soon as the itinerary and prices are announced..What I do find strange is that we have been bumped (and the couple with us) from #11 to #15..on the wait list..they are looking for a table for 2 and we are looking for a large table. What is adding to my stress is the fact for the first time since cruising and being on Cruise Critic I have come across the most impolite and rudest people on our Roll Call.. and remember this is a ship of only 670 people..lol.and I doubt we can avoid them on the ship. Add that and the misinformation we are receiving from various Princess reps..I'm very grouchy and apprehensive about our first Princess cruise.. going on my dream cruise.. Parrot Pop and I will survive...

A few of you have gone overboard..lol..My husband is Type 2, not Type 1.. and it's not a life or death situation for him, but he does feel better dining earlier. ALSO, he will be using for the first time a walker (sadly) and being able to sit down instead of going to a buffet is obviously much more desirable.(and don't tell me staff will carry the tray). There is no OPEN SEATING on the Pacific Princess. As for the comment on "changing ships".. that was entirely unnecessary. Unusual circumstances brought this particular cruise to our attention mid-December..Normally, we book our cruises as soon as the itinerary and prices are announced..What I do find strange is that we have been bumped (and the couple with us) from #11 to #15..on the wait list..they are looking for a table for 2 and we are looking for a large table. What is adding to my stress is the fact for the first time since cruising and being on Cruise Critic I have come across the most impolite and rudest people on our Roll Call.. and remember this is a ship of only 670 people..lol.and I doubt we can avoid them on the ship. Add that and the misinformation we are receiving from various Princess reps..I'm very grouchy and apprehensive about our first Princess cruise.. going on my dream cruise.. Parrot Pop and I will survive...
Please don't be grouchy. Being this close to the top of the wait list with almost 10 months to go, you should clear the list without any more stress. If you were at #15 after final payment, your chances would be slim but this far in advance, your chances are excellent. FYI, there are no trays in any Princess buffet -- they have large platters instead. Perhaps I'm an optimist but I really do think this will work out and you'll have a great cruise.

Um...just remember when you are pointing a finger and accusing people of certain behavior...

there's 3 that are facing you...

I stayed away from this thread..because you were on a out of control RANT and did not really want any feedback or so it seemed ...

and it appeared just had the need to blast people

and then rationalized your sarcastic.. in your face plan of action or response to a comment with a LOL

So what is it...

a simple vent or are you going to take the Maitre D to the mat until you get your way...and believe me ....you need to come to terms with NOT GETTING YOUR WAY!

There are 670 people on your ship...count how many are actually on your roll call..

you can and probably should stop particpating on the roll call, you don't have to interact with anyone but your travel partner and just maybe they aren't appreciating your venting attitude.

if there's someone on your roll call you think you would like to visit with then give them your email and interact directly.

I have health issues which many on this board know about that restricts my ability to eat in the dining room IF I don't have a table for 2.

Yet I do my research and realize that because of my health issues I might not have the exact dining experience that others will have...

I will have to eat in the buffet.

You chose a ship that is very unique in the fleet of Princess and you did so at the last minute. You are not a newcomer to these boards with over 1300 posts.

If you had come over to this board and asked questions before you booked or posted your question or concern while in the process of booking those of us that have sailed on the ship would have spelled it out to you in no uncertain terms

While it is unfortunate that your husband is diabetic and will be using a walker, there are at least 150 pairs of travelers at 1st seating. I'm sure half of them having some sort of health issue that is either equal or trumps your husbands and they booked earlier so they get 1st dibs on 1st seating, it's that simple. The rest just might like to eat earlier..they booked early so they of course have more options than you. You can hope that someone is willing to switch with you, BUT it is not your right.

Just because ...."you don't do buffets" doesn't mean you

can't do a buffet if you are hungry enough OR even more so for your husband to be held over until 2nd seating. All diabetics I know manage their blood sugar levels in this manner when it is called for

And yes, they will carry your tray for you..

BTW, I was on Celebrity last March..and I NEVER saw any staff member carrying a tray for anyone in the buffet.

The other poster suggesting changing your cruise was NOT out of line, since you are so firm on what you want and don't want.

PIA ..this is a side note to you...since you are on her roll call...are people rude there?

Please don't be grouchy. Being this close to the top of the wait list with almost 10 months to go, you should clear the list without any more stress. If you were at #15 after final payment, your chances would be slim but this far in advance, your chances are excellent. FYI, there are no trays in any Princess buffet -- they have large platters instead. Perhaps I'm an optimist but I really do think this will work out and you'll have a great cruise.

Pam,

I think Parrot Mom's cruise is in April, so it's more like 10 weeks or less.

An additional observation about the buffet - on our last cruise on the Star Princess my wife was using a cane and she had so many of the buffet staff trying to help her with her plate she nearly had to beat them back with her cane! Since the Pacific Princess staff is some of the best and nicest in the fleet, there should be plenty of assistance in the buffet for anyone with a walker.

Archived