? Train from Venice to Rome

We have only been to Europe once before and it was on a cruise from NYC. We are thinking of another cruise, we would be flying into Venice and the cruise is out of Rome. How would you recommend getting from Venice to Rome?

Thanks.

As the previous post said, take the train. See my train site link in the sig line below.

Fully agree with the previous posts. The train station is easy to get to/from in both Venice and Rome, it's a nice comfortable ride and reasonably priced. I usually get some snacks at the train station before we leave and have the iPod loaded up with a good audiobook or audio travel guides.

We have only been to Europe once before and it was on a cruise from NYC. We are thinking of another cruise, we would be flying into Venice and the cruise is out of Rome. How would you recommend getting from Venice to Rome?

Thanks.

We actually did this in Oct. 08. We left Venice about 6 am on the train to Pisa where we took a quick city bus to see the Tower. Then we were back on a train to Rome thru Florence and Livorno.

This was the the local train down the coast rather than the express to Rome. This enabled us to leave the train at Civitavecchia so that we could board the ship rather than train to Rome and have to retrace our steps back to Civitavecchia.

We arrived at Civi. about 3:30pm (15:30 in Europe) which was great as our ship did not leave until 7pm. The initial lines to board were gone so our check-in was only limited by our own pace.

If you don't take the Pisa diversion that we did, you would be on an earlier train to Civitavecchia.

We were thinking of doing this except in reverse, Rome to Venice. I want to take the Eurostar train and I know this needs resevations.. But can you just go to the train station and purchase a seat on that train assuming they have seats available. With airlines delays, etc, I am hesitant to purchase a particular departure not knowing if we will be able to get there in time. Does anyone know if this train is always full or not?

Thanks,

Barbara

Yes, you can purchase your ticket at the station until a little before departure time. On the fast trains (ES), which are most of the them going between Rome and Venice, the seat reservation is included in the ticket price.

Trains do sell out, but not very frequently. It is much likely to happen (surprise!) on the busy holidays. Even then, I have never seen all the trains sold out. Worst case is that you will have to wait for the next train.

Eurostar trains do sell out. Back in August 2006 I took Eurostar from Florence to Venice. I had previously purchased my ticket and had a specific seat reservation. I was surprised to see that they sold tickets to people without any seats. These people went all the way to Venice standing up in the area between the train cars!

However, this was on a Sunday. A few days later we took the Eurostar to go from Venice to Rome and there were many seats available.

In looking at the trenitalia site I can find the train I want to travel within Italy, but it says the ticket can only be purchased in Italy. Is there any way to find out what the fare will be so I can decide if I want to take the trip? We'll be doing a land trip in Italy after our cruise, and we can't decide whether to drive (rather not) or use trains, but the fares will be a big factor.

The trains are frequent. The trick to not to get on the milk run. Unless you are travelling on a holiday or a Friday or Sunday, you should be fine making your reservations when you get to Italy. Keep in mind that some travel agencies sell Trenitalia tickets. They add a small charge but buying from a TA will probably be faster than standing in line at the station. You could use the self serve terminals in the station as well. Have you considered stopping in Florernce for part of the day and then going on to Rome? Or an overnight in Florence. It is well worth a stop and the train station is close to all of the sights. We have travelled extensively by train in Italy. Don't worry about the language barrier, it slips away and before you know it you will be on the train with perhaps a few amusing memories to take home with you. We usually go 2nd class on the trains. Prices vary according to class and type of train.

If you are staying in Venice for a day or three, you can buy your train tickets at almost any travel agency (the FS logo will be on the door or window). Quick, easy, same price as at the station.

Just another option.

In looking at the trenitalia site I can find the train I want to travel within Italy, but it says the ticket can only be purchased in Italy. Is there any way to find out what the fare will be so I can decide if I want to take the trip? We'll be doing a land trip in Italy after our cruise, and we can't decide whether to drive (rather not) or use trains, but the fares will be a big factor.

Try searching for the train you want with a calendar date that is in the current month (but the same day of the week; Mon, Tues, etc.) The rates will be the same that they will be 60-90-120 days out (or more.)

Not certain where you plan to go, but is it's major cities, then take the train. You don't need/want a car in Florence, Rome or Naples.

Fritz, are the dates you input further out than 60 days? If so, maybe that is why you are getting that message, as you can only buy tickets within 60 days (or at least that was the way last time I bought tickets a couple of years ago).

Yes, I was looking at early May. Thanks for the tip; I'll put in some earlier dates and at least get a general idea of fares.

Thanks again.

Archived