Confused about passport changes

damianinpa

All,

I am now booked on the June 20th cruise from NY to Canada. This cruise goes to St. John New brunswick and then to Halifax Nova Scotia and then back to NY. Question..do I need a passport? Last cruise I took to Bermuda I only had birth cert. and drivers license and it was fine. I read the passport changes on June 1st and I have to say it all seems kinda confusing. I know I could just get a pp and be done with it, but, if I didn't have to why bother. Can anyone definitively say whether or not I need one? And, if not, is my regular drivers license o.k...I read something about an enhanced license just to add to the confusion.

Damian

Firefly - I don't believe that's right.

At present, it all changes on June 1, 2009 and the OP is cruising after that date. Passports or WHTI compliant docs will be required when reentering the US by sea.

I heard a rumor that they may push that date again but as of right now, June 1st is still showing as the implementation date. Did you find something else on it on another website? I'd be interested to know because I'm about to buy passports for my kids and grandkids.

Even IF you leave and return from the same U.S. Port.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/sea_travel/faqs/whti_landsea_faq.ctt/whti_landsea_faq.pdf

Also, even right now when you don't need a passport, if you were to get sick in port and need to fly back, you will be denied entry to the US. You need a passport. They are $100, good for 10 years, you can download the form, get a passport photo and take it to the post office. It's painless. You are going to have to have it anyway eventually, even if they push back the date so there is no day like today to get it done.

Good luck!:)

Firefly - I don't believe that's right.

At present, it all changes on June 1, 2009 and the OP is cruising after that date. Passports or WHTI compliant docs will be required when reentering the US by sea.

I heard a rumor that they may push that date again but as of right now, June 1st is still showing as the implementation date. Did you find something else on it on another website? I'd be interested to know because I'm about to buy passports for my kids and grandkids.

Even IF you leave and return from the same U.S. Port.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/sea_travel/faqs/whti_landsea_faq.ctt/whti_landsea_faq.pdf

Firefly is correct.

Even after June 1, 2009 a passport will not be required for close looped cruises from a US port to ports in the Western Hemisphere.

Do you have a link? I have a whole slew of people in my group that this would apply to. A lot of us have passports but I'd like to pass on the info to those that don't so they have the option.

I caught something briefly on the news the other day but didn't hear it all and I can't find anything on the Dept. of State website except that it's still June 1st.

OK...now I'm more confused than I was before. I can find some reference to closed loop cruises but then it talks about the travel having to go to contiguous territory and incorporates some Carribean islands.

I don't see Belize, Honduras (Roatan) and some others listed. So if the cruise goes there, a passport IS required????

I'd do a search on this but it seems to change so fast I'm afraid the info would be dated.

Also, even right now when you don't need a passport, if you were to get sick in port and need to fly back, you will be denied entry to the US. You need a passport. They are $100, good for 10 years, you can download the form, get a passport photo and take it to the post office. It's painless. You are going to have to have it anyway eventually, even if they push back the date so there is no day like today to get it done.

And for that reason alone, my family travels with passports. Not even if WE get sick but if there were an emergency at home that we needed to get back to. It's not worth having to jump through hoops to reenter the country.

However, on my next few cruises, I have groups and not all of those people are family so I'd like to give them the info, links and options and let them decide. There appear to also be some differences between adults and children.

Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out!

Firefly is correct.

Even after June 1, 2009 a passport will not be required for close looped cruises from a US port to ports in the Western Hemisphere.

lol you would think folks would check their facts before they post that Im incorrect!!! :D

Im sure Im wrong about some things, ..... I did forget to post it was only for western hemisphere, made it too simple kiss.

They will let you in, even if you have to talk to the american consulate. They dont stop you from re-entering the U.S., just might be more red tape.

Everyone is confused. Even Homeland security seems to be confused. There are a number of exceptions for crusing without a passport. the rules seem to say that close loop cruises in the caribbean and to Canada do not need passports . . . BUT everytime someone looks the rules seem to have changed. IMO you will not need a passport for Canadian or Eastern Caribbean closed loop cruises, nor for Western closed loop cruises that do not stop in Beliexze or Hondorous or Panama, but that is open for interpertation too.

To be safeget either a passport or the passport card, and don't rely on a BC even if you can. You never know when some local port official is not going to knew the rules and you end up being denied boarding.

Everyone is confused. Even Homeland security seems to be confused. There are a number of exceptions for crusing without a passport. the rules seem to say that close loop cruises in the caribbean and to Canada do not need passports . . . BUT everytime someone looks the rules seem to have changed. IMO you will not need a passport for Canadian or Eastern Caribbean closed loop cruises, nor for Western closed loop cruises that do not stop in Beliexze or Hondorous or Panama, but that is open for interpertation too.

To be safeget either a passport or the passport card, and don't rely on a BC even if you can. You never know when some local port official is not going to knew the rules and you end up being denied boarding.

Thank you. That's the way I'm reading it too. There are certain countries that aren't listed in the contiguous territory for the Carribean including Belize and Honduras.

Wrp96 - thanks for the Tripso link. I had read that already (and about 20 other websites) and that one puts it in layman's terms so I may forward that on to group members along with my recommendation that they GET a passport, required or not. I read governmental publications often in our law practice but this one is more ambiguous than most and the Dept. of State's website isn't the best for "quick" reference. Some of the websites out there "generalize" things by saying no passport is required on closed loop cruises however they don't go further into which countries in the Carribean are included in the contiguous territory.

Firefly - forgive me for wanting to see it on an official website rather than take the word of a poster on a message board. I think we can all agree that everyone has stayed somewhat confused on this issue since the started working on the changes a long time ago. Just about the time you figure it out, they change it.

FWIW the regulation that goes into effect in June says nothing about contiguous territory or definition of Caribbean islands, it just says closed loop/round trip in the Western Hemisphere.

The contiguous territory and definition of Caribbean islands comes from a section of the CBP site that deals with processing of non-resident aliens on a cruise using I-94 forms and/or are from a visa waiver country.

I found this a rather odd statement

"Firefly - forgive me for wanting to see it on an official website rather than take the word of a poster on a message board. I think we can all agree that everyone has stayed somewhat confused on this issue since the started working on the changes a long time ago. Just about the time you figure it out, they change it."

Why in the heck are you asking the question on a message board if you don't want to take the answer of a poster on said message board?

The issue is easy .....if your cruise starts and ends in the USA you don't need a passport.

If you are cruising with Carnival to/from Europe, Alaska, Hawaii or South America YOU NEED A PASSPORT.

Why in the heck are you asking the question on a message board if you don't want to take the answer of a poster on said message board?

I didn't ask the question. The OP did. Read the thread.

I ask for a link to the official State Dept. information to pass on to others.

But thank you...Your post was ever so helpful. :rolleyes:

I ask for a link to the official State Dept. information to pass on to others.

Just an FYI, the State Department isn't the one that decides the entry requirements. All they do is issue the passports. It's Customs and Border Protection (Department of Homeland Security) that issues the entry/exit requirements. The State Department website actually refers you back to the DHS website (and the "summary" info that is on the State Department makes no mention to the cruiseship exception which is what is causing a lot of the confusion).

Well here is a Gov link:http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm 2/3rd way down.

Another:http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/whti_state_factsheet.ctt/whti_state_factsheet.pdf page 2 half way down left side. Its a PDF and opens kinda slow.

Another:http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/sea_travel/material/reg_assessment.ctt/reg_assessment.pdf Another PDF and will take a bit of time to load. Page 34 last paragragh.

I think I have more docs from Gov websites that state the same info.

Well here is a Gov link:http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1206635771151.shtm 2/3rd way down.

Another:http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/fact_sheets/travel/whti_state_factsheet.ctt/whti_state_factsheet.pdf page 2 half way down left side. Its a PDF and opens kinda slow.

Another:http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/sea_travel/material/reg_assessment.ctt/reg_assessment.pdf Another PDF and will take a bit of time to load. Page 34 last paragragh.

I think I have more docs from Gov websites that state the same info.

Re-read part of link 3 and it also states the info on page 21 1/2 way down.

Sorry for quoting myself, but if you open link 3, it is quite a lengthy report so it took some time to glance thru it:D.

i had a similar question. im leaving ny and going to bahamas. i asked my pvp if i would need to get a passport and he said no. as long as you are leaving and returning to the same port in the us. i duno if tht helps bc there seems to be alot of differnet answrs but thats just what i was told

I always shake my head reading this type of answer. Denied entry hardly you are still an American citizen you may have to answer a few questions. I can see it now the State Department does not allow a sick U.S. citizen into the country but if a Cuban citizen shows up at a U.S. border crossing in either Mexico or Canada and ask for political asylum they would be allowed entry (and in happens in hours not days).:rolleyes:

Do you have a link? I have a whole slew of people in my group that this would apply to. A lot of us have passports but I'd like to pass on the info to those that don't so they have the option.

I caught something briefly on the news the other day but didn't hear it all and I can't find anything on the Dept. of State website except that it's still June 1st.

You posted the link yourself. At the top of page 6 under the FAQ link you posted states that only a gov. issued photo ID and birth cert is required

Archived