Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Ok I just booked the Courtyard by Marriott in Elizabeth, New Jersey. For those of you who live there is that a good choice ? What would they have around our hotel for us to do ? Do ya'll know if they have free shuttle to pick us up at the airport ? If so would we call them to pick us up or do they just come and go at specific times ? We will be arriving at the airport around 2:00 pm so we should have a little time to do something close by.

Is anyone else staying near this hotel ?

If you haven't found out yet, They do have a shuttle from EWR. You just need to call once you get to ground transportation.

We stay here or next door at the Residence Inn, depending on group size. Both hotels are nice. Then take Black Car to Cruise ship or into NYC.

Hi. This is a great thread. I have been reading it every week or so.

My sister and I are going on the Explorer in November. I made reservations at the Days Hotel nere Newark airport. Is this a mistake?? :confused: I have not seen anything posted on this hotel.

If you mean Days Inn:mad:, I would avoid it like the plaque.

Try Marriott Residence Inn, Courtyard or others mention here on this thread.

We just booked on Celebrity to sail from Bayonne on Oct. 3. I have family in NY and plan to visit before the cruise. Need advice re renting a car @ Sept. 20, and dropping it off on Oct. 3, just before sailing.

I could use Enterprise from Bayonne - is it a hassle to get from the airport into Bayonne? and on drop off, looks like a short (?) cab ride to the Port.

Any pitfalls to be wary of?:confused:

Alternatively, could rent from Alamo (cheaper rate), but they are in Iselin. Anyone know if it is a problem to get from the Airport to Iselin? And more important, any problem getting from the Alamo office in Iselin to the Port - I'm guessing the only transport is Cab?

Any help appreciated!!

Iselin it going to be at least a $60 buck cab ride......most likely more. Not worth it....

Bayonne isn't bad...probably still 40 bucks or so cab fare..........

Frankly, pick it up at the airport....when it all adds up, the cost of the on-airport rental Vs cabs to a rental place will probably be the same.

then book a car service from the airport to the pier, or just hop a cab.

If you have AAA they sometimes have great rates, and coupons for hertz.

Forget Iselin completely. If you were flying in and going directly to Bayonne, you would have to take cruise transfers or a cab. So instead you are flying in sooner and renting a car - rent it at the airport - return it to the airport and take a cab to Bayonne.

Thanks MEGR for a quick response. Getting an idea of cost from airport to the rental agencies helps a lot.

I checked on relative pricing, and found that for the same car and same rental period, Alamo at Iselin would be $610, vs Enterprise in Bayonne at $800. Anything at EWR would be $1,100+.:eek: At that spread, it looks like a cab ride to Iselin isn't such a bad idea. Any other thoughts, comments, or suggestions are very much appreciated

Wow - I guess you should not forget Iselin. Another thought - The train fare from Newark Airport station to Metropark Station is $10.25 - This is the closest station to Alamo. A cab from the station to the rental car would probably be no more than $10-$15.

Rent the car on PRICELINE. Usually about $30 per day for an economy, less than $55 for a premium car. You don't care who you rent through-you just need an EWR airport car. My employees are always renting cars at EWR when they have business at the ports for a day or two. They ALWAYS use Priceline and I KNOW I would have heard about it if it was more than about $40.00 per day. I also rent cars all over the US ALWAYS on Priceline. Saves me a BUNDLE.

I just looked at Biddingfortravel.com. There are numerous reports of cars in the $40 price range from EWR. Even the rejected $40 bid is posting that Priceline recommends $51.

Heck, I'd buy a car if it cost more than $500 for 3 days.

Rent the car on PRICELINE.

Heck, I'd buy a car if it cost more than $500 for 3 days.

oh yeah, i keep forgetting PL......:rolleyes::mad::p

what greatam said...........!:)

as a side note, you're over there AGAIN?????????

be good, stay out of trouble and uh, watch out! Didn't realize you were headed thataway again.

must have been a nice "short" bunch of flights!:eek:

keep us posted!

as a side note, you're over there AGAIN?????????

be good, stay out of trouble and uh, watch out! Didn't realize you were headed thataway again.

must have been a nice "short" bunch of flights!:eek:

keep us posted!

Yipperoo!! Nice sleeping all the way from JFK. First class Kuwait airlines-$2200 + fees RT-JFK/Kuwait City/JFK. Sure, it's not BA or Cathay Pacific, but decent food, no booze sadly, but a good nights sleep. It is now almost 5AM and I have to be at convoy assembly for Iraq by 5:30, so got to go. Will catch up with everyone when I get internet access again.

Thanks MEGR and 138east - your reactions were very helpful.:) We've decided to pick up a car in Jersey City, do our driving around to see family, etc. and return it in J.C. 2 days before the cruise. Then we can hop the PATH over to NYC and ferry to Ellis & Liberty Is

Looks like on Cruise day the best is to cab over to the Bayonne port (3 large bags for a 13 day cruise - we're doing better:rolleyes:). Any comments? BTW, it looks like Hotwire or Priceline is best to get a Jersey City hotel.

Thanks MEGR and 138east - your reactions were very helpful.:) We've decided to pick up a car in Jersey City, do our driving around to see family, etc. and return it in J.C. 2 days before the cruise. Then we can hop the PATH over to NYC and ferry to Ellis & Liberty Is

Looks like on Cruise day the best is to cab over to the Bayonne port (3 large bags for a 13 day cruise - we're doing better:rolleyes:). Any comments? BTW, it looks like Hotwire or Priceline is best to get a Jersey City hotel.

Why spend $50-60 on a cab to get to Jersey City from the airport when you can rent a car on Priceline DIRECT from EWR and THEN drive to Jersey City yourself? Just curious

Yes, the ONLY 4* hotels in Jersey City are the Hyatt, the Westin and the W. Chances of getting the W are slim and none on Priceline. Bid 4* on Priceline and you are almost guaranteed one of these hotels. All are great hotels, but the Hyatt is my favorite. You SHOULD be able to get a 4* hotel on Priceline for $125.00 or less.

PS Another lovely day in the sandbox. 109 outside in downtown Baghdad. Feels just like Phoenix. I want to go to the new spiffy shopping center tonight before I go back to Kuwait on Sunday. Today is like Sunday in the USA-religious day. Not much going on-not even kabooms. Kind of boring.

I would imagine the determining factor for pickup and drop off location would depend on the price - it may be cheaper to take a cab to Jersey City and do a round trip rental from there than it would be to pickup up at the airport and drop off in Jersey City. Anyway I am seeing a 4* hotel in Jersey City for 10/1 and 10/2 for $129.

I would imagine the determining factor for pickup and drop off location would depend on the price - it may be cheaper to take a cab to Jersey City and do a round trip rental from there than it would be to pickup up at the airport and drop off in Jersey City. Anyway I am seeing a 4* hotel in Jersey City for 10/1 and 10/2 for $129.

Even on Hotwire (which is usually higher than Priceline), cars can be rented AT EWR for 161.34 TOTAL for 10/1, 10/2 and drop off on 10/3 (noon pickup/drop off)-$60.95 per day for a FULL Size car (Chevy Impala, Hyandai Sonata). Chevy Monte Carlo is $55.95 per day.

If you book through the local agencies (Jersey City, Iselin, etc) you are booking through a franchise agency which makes money off LOCAL car rental. They really have no incentive to reduce prices, as they are VERY small agencies.

I would just use the Hotwire prices as a guide and cut $10-15.00 per day off the Hotwire price on a Priceline bid.

Greatam - How are you doing in Iraq? Would love to hear some details. The OP in this situation is coming in around Sept 20 and renting a car to visit relatives. He is returning the car and will stay in Jersey City for several days before departing on his cruise. He needs to price a pick up and return at Newark airport plus cab to Jersey City against a pickup at Newark airport and return to Jersey City. The days you mention are not days he needs a car.

Greatam - How are you doing in Iraq? Would love to hear some details. The OP in this situation is coming in around Sept 20 and renting a car to visit relatives. He is returning the car and will stay in Jersey City for several days before departing on his cruise. He needs to price a pick up and return at Newark airport plus cab to Jersey City against a pickup at Newark airport and return to Jersey City. The days you mention are not days he needs a car.

I am fine. Baghdad is even improved from March. Still lack of electricity quite a bit, but with all the generators the hotels and military have, it is not too bad for non Iraqis. The shopping center has back up generator power, so I am going in a few hours (it is 4AM ish and I can't sleep). It is hot, but no hotter than Phoenix. More dusty-fine dust always in the air.

I just copied the dates you posted about a hotel for a look at Hotwire. The way I understood his post, he was flying into EWR, visiting relatives some place in the area, then going on a cruise. Whether he stays in Jersey City or elsewhere, what does that have to do with the rental car??? Rent the car at the airport on Priceline, drive it where ever he wants to, then take it back to the airport UNLESS it is a priority to get a cab from a Jersey City hotel to the cruise (which will be as much, if not more, than a cab from the airport rental car return to the port). I just took a cab Thursday from the Jersey City Hyatt to Port Elizabeth and return to the hotel to pick up some paperwork and checks and it cost me $90.00 including $10.00 tip. I paid for 22 minutes of waiting time. NEXT TIME, I will rent a car-would have almost as cheap even in a corvette convertible ($105 per day through Avis). I was just too lazy to have my guys take me to the airport to hassle renting a car. Shame on me.

Will post more, but if I want a "convoy" ride to the shopping center, I have to get to the DFAC (dining facility-aren't the acronyms a scream) so I can sign up before they get full. I missed the convoy yesterday.

I'm trying to get information about getting from the pier back to the airport. It seems the cabs don't line up when the ship is in port like every other cruise terminal we've been to.

I found GO Airlink NYC which is approved by the port for pickup. The round trip is $245. One way from the port is $123. Is this company reputable and are these prices in line for the area?

Also, they seem to think it is a 2 hour trip.......it's not 2 hours is it?

Thanks.

I'm trying to get information about getting from the pier back to the airport. It seems the cabs don't line up when the ship is in port like every other cruise terminal we've been to.

I found GO Airlink NYC which is approved by the port for pickup. The round trip is $245. One way from the port is $123. Is this company reputable and are these prices in line for the area?

Also, they seem to think it is a 2 hour trip.......it's not 2 hours is it?

Thanks.

Which pier to which airport? There are three cruise terminals and three airports serving the NY City area. Surely not Cape Liberty (Bayonne) to EWR, which is maybe a 15-20 minute trip and a relatively inexpensive taxi ride.

Cape Liberty to Newark airport....I guess that helps!:D

It is the taxi from the port to the airport that seems to be the problem because of a lack of taxis. Is this information correct? Taxi do not line up at the pier when the ships come in?

As I said...a 15 to 20 minute cab ride. Shouldn't be too expensive($35???). I'm not sure what you were looking at that gave 2 hours and $123. Maybe Cape Liberty to JFK?

Someone who has taken that route by taxi can provide a better answer on getting one from Cape Liberty...but I seem to recall there were cabs, if not in the numbers you see at some other ports.

As I said...a 15 to 20 minute cab ride. Shouldn't be too expensive($35???). I'm not sure what you were looking at that gave 2 hours and $123. Maybe Cape Liberty to JFK?

Someone who has taken that route by taxi can provide a better answer on getting one from Cape Liberty...but I seem to recall there were cabs, if not in the numbers you see at some other ports.

Thanks. The place I got the quote from is Go Airlink and they serve the New York area. The quote is from Newark to Cape Liberty and I thought the price was high since there is no way this could be a 2 hour trip!

Our flight home is a tad on the early side so I'm not sure about cabs to the airport. Do you know of a good limo/car service that might be more reasonably priced? Reliable is good....I don't want to miss the flight if I'm off the ship!

Thanks again!!!:)

It is the taxi from the port to the airport that seems to be the problem because of a lack of taxis. Is this information correct? Taxi do not line up at the pier when the ships come in?

Nope...you have been misinformed....

there are plenty of cabs.....(sometimes they also have shuttle buses to EWR....it is a bit less than a cab, but THEY aren't always there.....plenty of cabs-and some vans too. SHould be about 40-45 bucks....

Archived