Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Well, if you're going to go on the bus, I'd follow the instructions on the RCL web site about the 99S bus to Bayonne. That would be significantly cheaper and probably much less of a hassle than trying to get on the light rail.

[quote name='Keeria']Dear 138east,
Yes, that's how I feel. Bus 99S seems the easiest and cheapest means of transport. I only hope that they accept our suitcases.
Regards
Dolores[/QUOTE]

This is a picture of one of the buses that service Bayonne from NYC. Co-incidentally, it was taken just South of I-78 (turnpike extension) and 440 (which basically run parallel through that area). About 3+ miles from the port. I still have no idea what you are going to do with a suitcase more than carryon size. And you will need a US cell phone to call a taxi. There may be a pay phone on 32nd and Kennedy, as there is a little bodega type market on the corner. Very few payphones around anymore.

[url]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Coach_USA_Red_and_Tan_RTS_1512.jpg[/url]

Keeria - why don't you email them and ask. You don't want any surprises. I don't see anything on their web site that has a suitcase rule and RCL recommends them. "For all other matters please e-mail us at [EMAIL="redandtan@coachusa.com"]redandtan@coachusa.com[/EMAIL] or call 908-354-3330". Just remember that Port Authority Bus terminal is enormous and confusing - 2 connecting buildings with buses on the lower level and at least two upper floors of bus gates. Usually you have to purchase a ticket on the main level before even trying to find the bus - so leave yourselves plenty of time to do all that. If you picked a particular bus, you could try calling ahead to a Bayonne Cab company to see if they would meet your bus.

Tried searching the thread with various key terms and nothing came up..hope this hasn't been answered somewhere else :o

Here's our situation...we are arriving from a T/A in Cape Liberty at 7:30 am. Our plane does not depart JFK until 5:00 pm.

We really don't want to spend the entire day waiting in the airport and then fly 5 hours to get home :( American changed our departure time by several hours just yesterday and we have explored all options with them to change the time to earlier but no luck...

So..does anyone have any ideas where we might be able to store luggage in NY City for the day? We tried the Port Authority Bus Terminal..no storage. Celebrity is currently not offering any tours on that day. We could check the luggage in that early at JFK but that would be a huge amount of time and expense going back and forth from pier to airport to city and back to airport.

I've tried contacting the HOHO bus but have been on hold forever and not been able to connect with them but will continue to explore that option.

I'm sure it would be way too expensive to hire a limo for the day and have them drive us around with the luggage in the trunk! :eek:

I'm sorta running out of ideas and options. As a last resort we could pay the daily fee and at least have access to the Admiral's Club for the day.

Any and all thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated! LuAnn

Tried searching the thread with various key terms and nothing came up..hope this hasn't been answered somewhere else :o

Here's our situation...we are arriving from a T/A in Cape Liberty at 7:30 am. Our plane does not depart JFK until 5:00 pm.

We really don't want to spend the entire day waiting in the airport and then fly 5 hours to get home :( American changed our departure time by several hours just yesterday and we have explored all options with them to change the time to earlier but no luck...

So..does anyone have any ideas where we might be able to store luggage in NY City for the day? We tried the Port Authority Bus Terminal..no storage. Celebrity is currently not offering any tours on that day. We could check the luggage in that early at JFK but that would be a huge amount of time and expense going back and forth from pier to airport to city and back to airport.

I've tried contacting the HOHO bus but have been on hold forever and not been able to connect with them but will continue to explore that option.

I'm sure it would be way too expensive to hire a limo for the day and have them drive us around with the luggage in the trunk! :eek:

I'm sorta running out of ideas and options. As a last resort we could pay the daily fee and at least have access to the Admiral's Club for the day.

Any and all thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated! LuAnn

Two options-Schwartz Travel Service has lockers.

http://www.schwartztravel.com/

And if you have a NJ transit or Amtrak ticket, Penn Station has a baggage check room. Lines to the baggage check room can be long.

Dear 138east,

I sent an email last week already to the Bus company but they have not replied yet. I fear that luggage is not allowed, so I think the train would be the better way to travel. But I will only be able to tell after the cruise.

Thank you so much for all your help.

Regards,

Dolores

Keeria - keep checking back. We'll see what else we can find out for you. Royal Caribbean recommends them. I know that's not a definitive answer, but I'm hoping they already checked this out before even listing it as an option on their website.

Keeria - I called Red & Tan for you and they said they could accomodate luggage. However, the buses have long narrow aisles and no overhead racks, so you would want to do this not at rush hour. You would probably be able to go to the very back of the bus and put your bags there. How much luggage will you have? I was assuming you are two people with one big bag each and another smaller bag which you could put on your lap.

Keeria - I called Red & Tan for you and they said they could accomodate luggage. However, the buses have long narrow aisles and no overhead racks, so you would want to do this not at rush hour. You would probably be able to go to the very back of the bus and put your bags there. How much luggage will you have? I was assuming you are two people with one big bag each and another smaller bag which you could put on your lap.

Red and Tan will ACCEPT the luggage. They sure won't make any accommodation for it. The bus is a CITY bus, not made for anything other than commuter traffic into/out of NYC.

As I posted previously, I think the local bus is a VERY bad idea for a variety of reasons (drops you off 2+ miles from the port, not the best neighborhood at drop off, no phones around, luggage problems). And I think RCCL is very foolish to have the info even on their website.

I know my truck driver (who is used to "uncomfortable" situations) had a hard time with CB radio, small suitcase and small tool box on the Bayonne to NYC city bus. It was all piled in his lap for the entire trip. I won't ever ask a driver to do that again.

Even though this is a cheap alternative, you may kick yourself over and over for doing it. Keeria, isnt' there someone on your roll call you could share a taxi with from EWR??? Or possibly your cruise line is running buses from the NYC airports to the cruise port??? Would be easier with luggage to get on AirTrain out of Manhattan to JFK IF there are cruise buses.

Greatam - she is spending several days precruise in NY and is leaving from a hotel in the E. 30's.

I thoroughly understand that. Last sentence of my previous post-"Would be easier with luggage to get on AirTrain out of Manhattan to JFK IF there are cruise buses."

And I understand that she is trying to keep transport expenses down. But taking the city bus could be a real nightmare. How is she going to call for a taxi to the port??? Walking to the bodega on 32nd and Kennedy would be my only suggestion unless she has an international cell phone. Is there still a pay phone there??? Next driver that goes into one of the Bayonne warehouses-I will have him stop and check.

There is just not an inexpensive way to get from Manhattan to Cape Liberty if you have normal cruise luggage-large suitcase + carry on. Schlepping more than a rolling carry on around NYC/NJ on public transport is MUCH worse than in Europe and right up there with Japan, IMHO.

Greatam - I agree completely. The first thing I told her was that she would need a cell phone to call a local cab. The only other thing I can think of is for her to take a cab (or the subway by her hotel) to Path at 33rd St., go to Journal Square and get a cab there to Bayonne. At least Journal Square is a "transportation center", whatever that means. Unfortunately, we don't know what the cab will cost to Bayonne - probably $45 to $50 - but she might be able to book one ahead of time. At least waiting at Journal Square would be better than standing on the corner of 32nd and Broadway in Bayonne.

Greatam - I agree completely. The first thing I told her was that she would need a cell phone to call a local cab. The only other thing I can think of is for her to take a cab (or the subway by her hotel) to Path at 33rd St., go to Journal Square and get a cab there to Bayonne. At least Journal Square is a "transportation center", whatever that means. Unfortunately, we don't know what the cab will cost to Bayonne - probably $45 to $50 - but she might be able to book one ahead of time. At least waiting at Journal Square would be better than standing on the corner of 32nd and Broadway in Bayonne.

Dear 138east

First of all, thank you so much for calling red & tan and finding out that they accept luggage. I know it will probably be very tedious to have to carry suitcases around.

I do have an international cell phone, but I am wondering now, whether a limousine service like Carmel Limo would perhaps be better even if it costs more. At least, now I have enough suggestions to think about and I can decide when in Manhattan.

Thank you again for all your help,

best regards

Dolores

Dear Greatam,

You are quite right, I am obviously confusing the public transport in Manhattan/New Jersey with Zurich. Here, at this time of season, noboday even thinks twice about it, when he has to climb over a dozen suitcases when entering trains or trams. It's holiday time and tourists from everywhere are somehow trying to reach their hotels in the city. Cabs here are so exorbitant in price that most tourists are trying to avoid them. But, as you say, you cannot compare it with New York. But I am so much looking forward to go there.

Regards

Dolores

We are flying into Newark Airport and will be staying at the Holiday Inn prior to the cruise. However, post cruise we'll be arranging private car (limo) service to pick us up and take us to our friends in Queens. We fly home from JFK. We are spending 4 nights with our friends in Queens. We already have our reservations made and paid for to see the Statue of Liberty on Monday, 10/5. Hubby and I are going to make that climb all the way up to the crown.

In March 2008 my girlfriend (who resides in Queens) used her car service to take her to Cape Liberty, it was about $100 plus tip. They stopped and picked me up at the Holiday Inn in Newark. So that's what I'm figuring for our ride from the cruise port to Queens.

to forego going in to NY City for the day...when we figured out the time in, finding and storing the luggage (thanks for the suggestions of where to do that everyone!) and then going back to get the luggage and getting out to JFK the amount of time we could actually spend seeing anything would be minimal!

So we are going to pay for the day rate at the Admirals Club with American Airlines and hang out there!

Regarding cost ...would a cab or a limo service be the best from Port Liberty to JFK?

Thank you New Yorkers! LuAnn...be sure you ask me questions if you come San Diego way! :D

We are flying into Newark Airport and will be staying at the Holiday Inn prior to the cruise.

Have you checked Trip advisor about the HI. I had a reservation but after reading one negative comment after another I decided to switch.

I have read quite a few posts but I'm confused as ever. If one wants to avoid the detours and be close to the port, is there an accessible hotel with parking at a reasonable rate for nearly 4 weeks. Comforts Suites north of EWR has a great parking charge but what kind of area is it? Are there any other hotels with long parking facilities?

Have you checked the Country Inn and Suites of Elizabeth? They are lovely. As for parking, you might be better off to park at an offsight lot at EWR airport such as Executive or Avistar. They usually run about $10-12 per day. You could get a shuttle from the airport such as State Shuttle or Princeton Airporter to Bayonne from there.The Inn may also take you to the ship.

Xellent - I read the same negative comments about Holiday Inn as you did, but I had a need for 2 rooms in April for 4 adults, a 3 year old and a baby, so I decided to give it a try. It was just fine - you can find my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=966351&highlight=holiday+inn

I called ahead to have the hotel block out adjoining rooms with 2 beds each - that worked out fine and we even had connecting rooms. The rooms were clean and they did not smell and did not need refurbishing. They were at the end of the hall on the first floor - a perfect quiet location.

I would be very careful selecting a place to leave your car in Newark for 4 weeks. That's a long time. I think I would look closely at the parking folks whose primary business is to provide long term parking rather than a hotel where long term parking is a side business.

Have you checked Trip advisor about the HI. I had a reservation but after reading one negative comment after another I decided to switch.

I stayed at this hotel in March 2008. I, too, found a single negative review prior to my stay then. I weighed the fact that a single review does not make a pattern. I determined that perhaps there was more to their story than what was being posted. I had a very enjoyable stay. The room was very clean, updated, the restaurant actually pretty good. I had both dinner and breakfast in the hotel restauarant. That stay is why my husband and I are staying there again this trip.

Archived