Athens Sightseeing - what to see?

Hello all,

We are looking for sightseeing ideas while in port in Athens. We of course want to see the Acropolis, but what else is there to see? What about outside of Athens or is it too risky with traffic?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sailing Celebrity Solstice!!

You didn't say how long your stop in Athens is, but the historical centre of Athens is worth at least a full day visit, so I would recommend spending your time there and leaving a visit for an outlying area for another trip.

A few highlights, in addition to the Acropolis:

• Agora
  • New Acropolis Museum
  • Temple of Zeus
  • Roman Forum/Tower of Winds
  • Panathenaic Stadium (Olympic stadium dating from the 1800's)
  • National Archaeological Museum
  • Plaka

All of these sites, with the exception of the Archaeological Museum (which you can take the metro to), are within walking distance of the Acropolis.

We enjoyed our port day in Athens so much that we stayed 3 days post-cruise on our following trip there. :)

The central attraction of Athens for me is the antiquities. The city has recently completed the Antiquities Promenade and it is very possible to spend the entire day making your way from the Temple of Zeus at one end to the Ancient Agora and Kerameikos Cemetary at the other, with maybe just a wee bit of time left to shop in the Plaka.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

OTOH, there are other more modern sites that you can also visit, such as the Presidential Palace and the Olympic Stadium. On one visit to Athens we arranged for a wine tasting at a nearby winery.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

Be aware that licensed guides in Athens are fairly rare. Most offering tours of Athens are drivers but not licensed guides. They cannot go into the ancient sites with you. If you want a licensed guide be sure to check that. However, with a good guidebook, there is really little need for a guide unless you really want all the details of every spot.

If you want to, you can walk the Antiquities Promenade on your own and hire a guide on the spot just to take you through the Acropolis.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I want to put in another plug for the National Archaeological Museum. It's well worth seeing (and relatively cool, if you are there in summer...;)). The museum was spiffed up nicely for the Olympics and they have most of the best Greek treasures from places like Olympia, Delphi, Mycenae, Delos, and of course Athens. Well, at least those that weren't carried off by other countries.....

The bronze statue of Poseidon is outstanding (recovered from the ocean a few years back). Also, some of the items discovered by Schliemann at Mycenae, such as the supposed "mask of Agamemnon" are wonderful.

I want to put in another plug for the National Archaeological Museum. It's well worth seeing (and relatively cool, if you are there in summer...;)). The museum was spiffed up nicely for the Olympics and they have most of the best Greek treasures from places like Olympia, Delphi, Mycenae, Delos, and of course Athens. Well, at least those that weren't carried off by other countries.....

The bronze statue of Poseidon is outstanding (recovered from the ocean a few years back). Also, some of the items discovered by Schliemann at Mycenae, such as the supposed "mask of Agamemnon" are wonderful.

Cruisemom42, the National Archaeological Museum will be my #1 stop on this trip in Athens, we had been to Athens before but ran out of time for the Museum, this time it is on our list and I am looking forward to it. I have seen your posted pictures for the Museum and they are geat. Thanks for all your educated information, you sound like you LOVE History. I find ancient times very facinating.

Chiming in once again to concur with Cynthia. We spent our Piraeus port day before disembarking just at that one museum. The Mycenae artifacts section was much larger than I expected and has a real "wow" factor with all the gold items. It also has a small, but wonderful, Akrotiri artifacts section. (We visited the other sights previously mentioned the other two days we had in Athens after disembarking.)

Aw shucks, guys. :o Yeah.....confirmed history nerd here! A lot of people seem to have preconceived ideas about museums, but I think that in Europe particularly you have to see both the site AND the artifacts (in the museum) to really get a clear picture of a past culture.

Hello all,

We are looking for sightseeing ideas while in port in Athens. We of course want to see the Acropolis, but what else is there to see? What about outside of Athens or is it too risky with traffic?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Sailing Celebrity Solstice!!

Here is a good web site and some nice reading about Athens: http://www.europeportreviews.com/Athens.htm

I agree with the OP that the National Archaeological Museum was a surprise highlight. Lots of very neat stuff, not enough time to to fully explore and best it was nice and cool :D

The excavations at Syntagma station actually turned out to be my favourite part of the day.The following is from my review.

I had heard of excavations in the station but entered with no expectations whatsoever, and I was completely blown away by what I saw. Alongside the glass cases containing artefacts uncovered during the excavation, was a large glass encased wall showing the various layers of civilisation represented by graves, roads, artefacts etc. There is even a skeleton still in one grave (guess he had to wait too long for his train) Quite fascinating! moPhoto290-syntagma2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
You didn't say how long your stop in Athens is, but the historical centre of Athens is worth at least a full day visit, so I would recommend spending your time there and leaving a visit for an outlying area for another trip.

A few highlights, in addition to the Acropolis:

• Agora
  • New Acropolis Museum
  • Temple of Zeus
  • Roman Forum/Tower of Winds
  • Panathenaic Stadium (Olympic stadium dating from the 1800's)
  • Plaka

All of these sites, with the exception of the Archaeological Museum (which you can take the metro to), are within walking distance of the Acropolis.

We enjoyed our port day in Athens so much that we stayed 3 days post-cruise on our following trip there. :)

If we choose to do this on our own by walking, does anyone have a best recommended walking order or sequence to connect and see these points of interest? And if you want to go to the National Archeological Museum, which specific Metro station would you use?

And if you want to go to the National Archeological Museum, which specific Metro station would you use?

We did not use the Metro, but in my notes I have the closest station as Victoria Station.

Edited to add: I also just read on tripadvisor that there is a trolley you can pick up from Syntagma Square that will take you right to the Museum. (I think with the Metro it's about 10 mins away from the stop.)

I liked the excavations at Syntagma station, as well! AND if you go one metro sop farther, to the Enagelismos stop, you can take the funicular or climb the steps all the way to the top of Lykkabettus Hill for magnificant views and photos of all of Athens! We climbed it on our recent Athens stop. Long walk, but great exercise and wonderful memories. The little white church at the top is neat to see too. Afterward just get back on the subway to Syntagma, Monastirion, or all the way to Piraeus to reboard your ship.

Can anyone tell me how the New Acropolis Museum differs from the National Archaeological Museum?

The New Acropolis Museum was built to house finds from the Acropolis itself, as well as in hopes of convincing the British to return the Elgin Marbles. (A long-time British excuse for their non-return to Greece was that there was no adequate place for their exhibition.)

The National Archaeological Museum houses artifacts from all over Greece, from the Bronze Age to the Golden Age of Classical Athens and beyond. It is most famous for its several rooms of Mycanae artifacts, including many objects made from gold, and Akrotiri frescos.

I liked the excavations at Syntagma station, as well! AND if you go one metro sop farther, to the Enagelismos stop, you can take the funicular or climb the steps all the way to the top of Lykkabettus Hill for magnificant views and photos of all of Athens! We climbed it on our recent Athens stop. Long walk, but great exercise and wonderful memories. The little white church at the top is neat to see too. Afterward just get back on the subway to Syntagma, Monastirion, or all the way to Piraeus to reboard your ship.

A very long steep walk at that. But you are right, the view is worth it. Of course the funicular is probably easier, but I will never forget that walk.

the historical centre of Athens is worth at least a full day visit, so I would recommend spending your time there and leaving a visit for an outlying area for another trip. A few highlights, in addition to the Acropolis:

• Plaka

Agree on most all of the various posts. The Acropolis, Plaka and National Archaeological Museum would be our top three. When there in 2006, they were just finishing the new Acropolis Museum and it looked like it would be very nice. The Acropolis hill is so totally spectacular. I would do that location first before the day and sun get too hot. The National Arch. Mus. is very special with its collection and how you can see the art evolving from Greek design to the Romans borrowing from the Greeks to Roman. Below are a few visual highlights in Athens.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

4-AthAcropolis.jpg.a4a236600287b3ebb42ddfe4efb1cc89.jpg

4-Ath-Amphitheatre.jpg.821b50049cf66e5bc19c826af6b55429.jpg

4-Ath-ArchMus.jpg.a1caea06a6d423204fa9b164e6ecf042.jpg

4-Ath-Plaka.jpg.a5c6df938c74a114abafeae3f74befbe.jpg

4-Ath-Ruins.jpg.4b3fe7b2547052fb0e60aea87804070a.jpg

The central attraction of Athens for me is the antiquities. The city has recently completed the Antiquities Promenade and it is very possible to spend the entire day making your way from the Temple of Zeus at one end to the Ancient Agora and Kerameikos Cemetary at the other, with maybe just a wee bit of time left to shop in the Plaka.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

OTOH, there are other more modern sites that you can also visit, such as the Presidential Palace and the Olympic Stadium. On one visit to Athens we arranged for a wine tasting at a nearby winery.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

Be aware that licensed guides in Athens are fairly rare. Most offering tours of Athens are drivers but not licensed guides. They cannot go into the ancient sites with you. If you want a licensed guide be sure to check that. However, with a good guidebook, there is really little need for a guide unless you really want all the details of every spot.

If you want to, you can walk the Antiquities Promenade on your own and hire a guide on the spot just to take you through the Acropolis.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike,

Are you referring to the 2004 Olympic stadium? If so, can you give me some directions as to how to find it as well as any other of the 2004 Olympic venues. :)

Thanks,

Lisa

If we choose to do this on our own by walking, does anyone have a best recommended walking order or sequence to connect and see these points of interest? And if you want to go to the National Archeological Museum, which specific Metro station would you use?

I would start at the Acropolis as early as possible and from there: Acropolis Museum, Temple of Zeus, Panathinaikon Stadium, through the National Gardens to the Plaka, Roman Forum and then the Agora (allow ~4 hours for all of this, depending on how long you spend at the Acropolis and museum). There are some great restaurants at Monastiraki Square for your lunch break.

You can get on the metro (green line) at Monastiraki to Victoria Station to get to the Archaeological museum, or walk from Monastiraki Square along Ermou Street (a great shopping street) to Syntagma Square to take the trolly as per cruisemom42's suggestion above (a good suggestion as we had a bit of difficulty finding the museum once we got off the metro.)

We saw Athens on our own and I definitely recommend seeing the collections in the National Archeological Museum. It's spectacular. Click on my signature link for photos - there are quite a few from this museum.

We actually decided to grab a cab from the Acropolis to the museum, just to save the time it would take to walk from the metro stop to the museum. I don't remember exactly how much, but it was fairly cheap - maybe 4-5 euros.

Archived