I turn 55 this July

momofmeg

Hubby is younger than me, he is a baby of 50-so we have not had the senior's cruise discount yet. How much is it for 55? I am wondering, because I considered booking a cruise for next year-but if I wait until July will the price be a lot better?

• 2 months later...

If you will be 55 when your cruise begins, you will get the discounted price if there is one available when you book. You could book one now to cruise after your fifty-fifth birthday, and receive the discount. In other words, you don't have to be 55 when you book the senior rate, just before your cruise date.

Not every ship, every itinerary or every category of cabin has the 55 discount. You generally tend to find those discounts on the less popular cruises and for the less desirable cabins. I did get a discount on my last cruise on Celebrity---it was about $300 less then the regular fare. You can also check on resident discounts. Last year we all got a discount on our cruise for being residents of Wisconsin.

• 3 weeks later...

We've only gotten the "senior" discount on 1 of our cruises...and neither of us were 55 yet! No one checked our actual ages---(this was through a TA--she gave it to us, we didn't ask for it!) Since hubby actually turned "of age", no discounts have ever been available!

As far as CCL goes, if just one of you are 55 plus, you both get the rate if it is available. Worked for me last time. Just make sure the booking is in your name, not that "puppy" you married.;)

• 2 years later...
Every line is different

I am 57 now-but we got to use my senior discount on the our upcoming Jewel of the Seas cruise-first time with the senior discount. This cruise is Christmas week and we got a 5 day cruise for a little under $600 for myself and a little $600 for hubby for a balcony room. Third person rate was the same for our daughter.

They only had a few rooms at senior rate and it was cheaper than the booking some of ocean-views without the rate. I had my eye on this cruise and so I know that the cheapest balconies were going for $899 a person just a couple of months ago. However, they had lowered their rates overall-it is just the senior rate saved us about $60 a person per night, compared to the cheapest balconies without the senior rate.

• 2 weeks later...
I have used that discount several times. Usually it is $100.00 + pp savings. Like the former poster said just be sure the cabin is booked in the name of the person who is 55. My experience has been all in my cabin get the discount regardless of their age.

I think perhaps 7 day cruses give you a little better rate-this is a 5 day. BTW-since we booked-it has gone up to over $900 a person for the balcony rooms. Lower category are all sold out. The Travel agency automatically booked it in my name. We did not even have to ask them-they had the info on our birth dates already as we always use them.

We’ve been fortunate to receive more than a few senior discounts on RCCL. I can only speak for RCCL but the initial name on the booking did NOT have to be the senior. As long as one of the two of us were seniors – that was all they needed. (unless RCCL has changed the rules in the past few months).

I know this to be true as we have been getting some discounts for several years, I’ve been the first name on most all the bookings, and I just turned 55 a few months ago. ( my husband is several years older than me so we qualified.)

Good luck for as senior rate for you next sailing!

M

We’ve been fortunate to receive more than a few senior discounts on RCCL. I can only speak for RCCL but the initial name on the booking did NOT have to be the senior. As long as one of the two of us were seniors – that was all they needed. (unless RCCL has changed the rules in the past few months).

I know this to be true as we have been getting some discounts for several years, I’ve been the first name on most all the bookings, and I just turned 55 a few months ago. ( my husband is several years older than me so we qualified.)

Good luck for as senior rate for you next sailing!

M

Yes the cruise is RCI on JOS. I called and confirmed. I was told the booking was actually in mine, my husband's AND our adult daughter's name- still we (husband and I-daughter gets third person rate)would get the discount since I qualify.

Out TA told us a cruise booking it is not like when you book a hotel room. When booking a cruise, the stateroom is booked in ALL the adult names.

• 8 months later...

When I booked our RCL New England cruise, I didn't even bother checking off the 55+ box. Recently, I was checking for price drops and there were none, but then I went through the process again and checked off 55+ and sure enough, the fare dropped by $100 for each fare. Called and was given the new rate. So, sometimes it really matters - YAY

• 2 weeks later...
I just got a AARP discount on NCL. I think it was 5% which for me was $106.whoopee. Anyway, it's kind of a senior discount since you have to be 55 to join AARP.

This is an old thread-I am almost 58 now LOL!

As I posted we did get the 55 discount for our Jewel of the Seas cruise when we booked it-however prices dropped tremendously on that cruise before it sailed and we got further discounts (and upgrades)-that were good for any age.

This is an old thread-I am almost 58 now LOL!

As I posted we did get the 55 discount for our Jewel of the Seas cruise when we booked it-however prices dropped tremendously on that cruise before it sailed and we got further discounts (and upgrades)-that were good for any age.

Hi...

Just a brief note to say hello and hoping things are okay with you.

Hi...

Just a brief note to say hello and hoping things are okay with you.

We are doing well as can be anyway. Our district convention is July 20-22th. before that we are doing a Med cruise with a sister who moved to Saipan 2 years ago to serve where the need is greater.

We are also trying to learn Spanish. Tony, my hubby would like to move to Costa Rica to serve in an English cong. We will need to know some Spanish.

We are doing well as can be anyway. Our district convention is July 20-22th. before that we are doing a Med cruise with a sister who moved to Saipan 2 years ago to serve where the need is greater.

We are also trying to learn Spanish. Tony, my hubby would like to move to Costa Rica to serve in an English cong. We will need to know some Spanish.

Hi nice hearing from you. We have the visit of the CO this week and our convention is August 24-26.

That is beautiful you wanting to serve in Costa Rica. Spanish is a somewhat easy language to learn. I had it in school for 8 years and also had the pleasure of working with many Hispanic women. My husband and I are cruising in October to celebrate our 4th year anniversary.

Take care and keep in touch :)

Hi nice hearing from you. We have the visit of the CO this week and our convention is August 24-26.

That is beautiful you wanting to serve in Costa Rica. Spanish is a somewhat easy language to learn. I had it in school for 8 years and also had the pleasure of working with many Hispanic women. My husband and I are cruising in October to celebrate our 4th year anniversary.

Take care and keep in touch :)

Shorbr I know you like RCI. We like their radiance class ships and would like to cruise from Tampa again, probably it will be Brilliance of the Seas though in 2013 or 2014. It would be nice if we could cruise together and get to meet.

Ever since our friends moved to Saipan hubby has wanted to go where he would be needed more. Our friends' parents are all gone so they could go far away but hubby's mom is still around, so we would not want the be a 24 hour plane ride away. Saipan is near Guam (both are part of Marianna Islands) Although a US territory, it is the same part of the world as the Philippines, Japan, Australia, etc. so a LONGGG way from here. Costa Rica would be a better choice for us since hubby has an obligation to his mom.

Shorbr I know you like RCI. We like their radiance class ships and would like to cruise from Tampa again, probably it will be Brilliance of the Seas though in 2013 or 2014. It would be nice if we could cruise together and get to meet.

Ever since our friends moved to Saipan hubby has wanted to go where he would be needed more. Our friends' parents are all gone so they could go far away but hubby's mom is still around, so we would not want the be a 24 hour plane ride away. Saipan is near Guam (both are part of Marianna Islands) Although a US territory, it is the same part of the world as the Philippines, Japan, Australia, etc. so a LONGGG way from here. Costa Rica would be a better choice for us since hubby has an obligation to his mom.

That would be awesome to be able to meet. I understand about not wanting to be so far away with an older parent. Unfortunately, both my parents are gone. I have 2 sisters and 1 brother, one sister is in truth, but we are not very close to each other. My husband has a large family. I have a married son who no longer walks with us. But enough of that...Costa Rica sounds nice. Will your daughter serve along with you?

Archived