Where do you find your formal shoes?

sherrintxs

DSW, Macy's, Belk---shoot--almost any department store will have a decent selection! Or "stand-alone" shoe stores.... surely you have those in TX!!!! Most "formal" evening shoes aren't pumps, tho--they're generally a bit "strappier". Do try on a bunch of different styles!

I have to buy shoes in person because I have a hard to fit foot, I normally end up at Nordstrom. They have the size, or will get it for you.

If you cannot get exactly what you are looking for, why not buy a plain pair of black pumps in the fabric you want, then embellish them with shoe clips? Just a quick search I found these:

http://shoes.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=shoes&cdn=style&tm=9&gps=281_362_1260_798&f=20&su=p284.9.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=0&st=16&zu=http%3A//www.shoeworthy.com/

http://shoes.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=shoes&cdn=style&tm=60&gps=291_510_1260_798&f=20&su=p284.9.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=0&st=16&zu=http%3A//www.absolutelyaudrey.com/ShoeClips2.html

There are more listed with Google

I browse through Zappos for ideas, but unless I know the way the brand fits, I'm a have to go to a store and try em on, kind of shoe gal.

So, DSW, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, & Dillards seem to be where I shop the most for shoes.

I am always so envious of gals can buy wonderful shoes on line. Because of the stress I put on my foot bones from dancing I can also be a hard fit...I am somewhere in the middle of medium and wide... LOL try to figure that out, so me too I always have to try them on.

I find formal shoes in unconventional places... One of my favorite places is dress barn, the loft and beleive it or not Sears. Now all of these shoes are not what one would consider a high end or even well made shoe that will stand up against time but I dont wear the same formal shoe a lot so not an issue for me.

Zappos has free shipping BOTH ways. I, too, can't always wear the same size from one brand to another. I often order three or more styles in three different sizes. When they arrive, I try them all on, wear the ones I am interested in on carpet for a while and then send the ones I am not keeping back. They make the process VERY easy and convenient. I especially like to do this for my husband because it's almost impossible to drag him to the store to try things on. Plus, Zappos has a great search feature by which you can search by size, width, style , heel height, color etc. I have also ordered from Shoebuy.com and they are very easy to use, too.

DSW is a great bargain when you find something you like in the clearance room. I got an $80 pair of gold peep toe pumps with 4" stiletto heel (to go with my formal gown) reduced to $25 then another $10 off with a coupon I received in the mail.

Had to brag! Of course, I will barely be able to walk from my cabin to dinner and back but who cares!!

DSW clearance section... but a few years ago I found the most perfect pair of black strappy heels that go with every black formal/cocktail dress I own, so I have not had to buy shoes for a while. I like the classy and timeless styles that you can wear over and over again. Plus, they are comfortable!

I've had lots of luck also at DSW...found shoes there for my daughters wedding and our cruise. I have found shoes for woek as well.

I've used Zappos also and I must say there customer service is excellent. Their prices can be high but sometimes if you know prices and brands you can find a deal.

I found the ones I'm taking on this cruise at (can you believe it?) Target last year. Strappy black satin with rhinestones and 3" heels. For 19.99. And they are COMFY!

Weird, huh?

Here's a link for a local store that sells online, and they have GREAT sales with many bargains: http://www.shoesonashoestring.com

I also check at Ross, they are usually really cheap and sometimes you can find good fits and brands. Check out the thread on ask a cruise question...how many shoes to pack..and there are gals there that have hundreds of pairs, so they may have some good suggestions.:D

I was at Penney's today and got a $100 pair of leather boots for $4.97, I kid you not. I was thrilled and bought two different pairs.

I have no (as in NOOOOO) tolerance for uncomfortable dressy shoes. I just can't enjoy myself if my feel hurt. I had tried Naturalizer etc etc etc. Nothing. I finally broke down and spent an ungodly amount at Cole-Hahn.com. It was their black patent leather closed toe high heeled pump that they created with the help of Nike-Air. They rock and will last me the rest of my life.

I also found a black shorter high heel at Kohls. It is a sandal and has stretchy fabric over the toes, arch, & back. In both of these I can wander/dance/gamble the night away without changing shoes or whining. ;) Good luck to you. Finding the right pair can become a year long quest.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a pair of pumps at DSW for my cruise later in the year. I was going to wear the usual black satin sandel. However, I recently bought two straight, stretch satin dresses, and I love how straight dresses look with pointy-toed high-heeled pumps (kind of retro to the 50's look). These shoes are gorgeous - they're covered in a black pleated fabric with a thin, 3" heel. Very elegant. They were $49.95.

I also have long narrow feet, and zappos.com and shoebuy.com are a great source for me. You can narrow your search to size, width and style so you don't have to search through page after page of shoes that won't fit you. The free shipping is terrific because I usually only keep 1 or 2 pairs out of 6 - 8 ordered. I'm very hard to fit. I envy women who can pop into a shoe store and come out with 4 or 5 pairs. I don't even take my shoes off until the clerk comes out with boxes because most often they come out empty-handed. It's been that way since I was in junior high.

Also shoebuy.com offers some great sales. I suspect they'll offer 20% in the next week or two, either for the first day of spring or St. Patrick's Day. They had 20% off for both Valentine's Day and President's Day.

I have a hard-to-fit foot and have never had any luck with buying shoes without trying them on. I love DSW and have had some luck with Off-Broadway (Which has the same set-up as a DSW). We have Belk's here in North Carolina as well as Dillard's and they run great seasonal sales.

Once I find a style I like that fits well, I can use the online vendors. This is what I do for my Birks, or to replace a pair I like or buy additional colors. I sometimes find something at Rach Room, but these are mostly casual shoes.

I have no (as in NOOOOO) tolerance for uncomfortable dressy shoes. I just can't enjoy myself if my feel hurt. I had tried Naturalizer etc etc etc. Nothing. I finally broke down and spent an ungodly amount at Cole-Hahn.com. It was their black patent leather closed toe high heeled pump that they created with the help of Nike-Air. They rock and will last me the rest of my life.

I also found a black shorter high heel at Kohls. It is a sandal and has stretchy fabric over the toes, arch, & back. In both of these I can wander/dance/gamble the night away without changing shoes or whining. ;) Good luck to you. Finding the right pair can become a year long quest.

I agree with you. I'd never wear uncomfortable shoes, and if someone's on a tight budget, buy something classic to wear for years.

My pick for best evening shoes for elegance, comfort and bang-for-the-buck is Stuart Weitzman. He's king of the evening shoe. (his daytime shoes/boots/sandals are great too!).

I can stand/walk/dance in his 3.5" heels all day and night!

www.stuartweitzman.com

His shoes are sold in most dept stores, and at Zappos.

Archived