Galveston New Ship Question

WildWillie

How about ports like: Belize, Costa Maya, Roatan, Ocho Rio. Those are possible.

That would be enough for me. Except not on a Conquest Class Ship.....

RCCL's Voyager does Costa Maya and Roatan out of Galveston. The Voyager also does Grand Cayman and Montego Bay. It sails alternating weeks during its season in Galveston.

I have to disagree to a certain extent. The Conquest certainly was not 'old, broken down' etc.

Not meaning to knit-pick but the Conquest is a flawed example. Carnival originally brought Holiday class Jubilee and Celebration to Galveston. Both were small old ships but they sold well. Carnival responded to the demand by bringing in then six year old Elation to sail seven day cruises. It took an act of god (hurricane Katrina) to bring Conquest to Galveston.

I agree that the ship is more the destination than the actual stops, so I'd love to see some different ships arrive here. Cruising out of Galveston is the only option for my group--unless New Orleans gets a shiny new ship and even then it's doubtful--because we will not fly to take a cruise. I wonder if there's not some way that Scholes Field could be opened (or reopened?) to commercial traffic. Is there insufficient volume to support flights direct to Galveston, even for just the summer cruising season, or is there another reason (hurricanes?) that I'm missing?

RCCL's Voyager does Costa Maya and Roatan out of Galveston. The Voyager also does Grand Cayman and Montego Bay. It sails alternating weeks during its season in Galveston.

I would like to do the the Voyager, but it is priced so high, it is cheaper for me to fly to Florida and cruise out of there...

I agree that the ship is more the destination than the actual stops, so I'd love to see some different ships arrive here. Cruising out of Galveston is the only option for my group--unless New Orleans gets a shiny new ship and even then it's doubtful--because we will not fly to take a cruise. I wonder if there's not some way that Scholes Field could be opened (or reopened?) to commercial traffic. Is there insufficient volume to support flights direct to Galveston, even for just the summer cruising season, or is there another reason (hurricanes?) that I'm missing?

Here's the website for Scholes Field. It's an international airport...

http://www.galvestonairport.com/interior.html

I love being able to drive to a cruise port (I got spoiled in Florida).

But I am disappointed in the lack of choice from Galveston. Texas has one of the the best economies in the US and I know we appreciate not having to fly with all that luggage!

I'd love to see some of the newer ships coming in from time-to-time. Just to change it up a bit. I know that the itineraries are limited but like others have said, the ship is a big part of the attraction.

BTW...when I priced my upcoming cruise on the Conquest vs. the Voyager, the Voyager was actually $20pp cheaper. Now I'm a die-hard Carnival fan but I just might have to try the Voyager the next time (neat ship, different itinerary) just for a little change.

If Carnival is loyal to Texas, I know Texans will be loyal to Carnival.

Celebrity Galaxy used to sail this route from Galveston. Unfortunately Panama is nearly a three day sail from Galveston so it is too far for a seven day cruise unless it were to be the only stop. The Galaxy alternated 11 and 12 night sailings but stopped at Cozumel, Belize, Limon, a half-transit of the canal before docking in Colon, MoBay and Grand Cayman before returning to Galveston. RCI's Splendor of the Seas used to sail winter itineraries for a few years that included 10 night sailings to Panama. It would be great if a ship would return to do these longer sailings again.

Celebrity Galaxy used to sail this route from Galveston. Unfortunately Panama is nearly a three day sail from Galveston so it is too far for a seven day cruise unless it were to be the only stop. The Galaxy alternated 11 and 12 night sailings but stopped at Cozumel, Belize, Limon, a half-transit of the canal before docking in Colon, MoBay and Grand Cayman before returning to Galveston. RCI's Splendor of the Seas used to sail winter itineraries for a few years that included 10 night sailings to Panama. It would be great if a ship would return to do these longer sailings again.

Dh and I were on the next to the last sailing on this itinerary. Absolutely loved it!!!!! Hope, hope, hope, they'll bring in a ship to do this again.

Since you've obviously had to research this quite a bit,I'm curious about the possibility of renting a car at the airport and turning it in in Galveston.It seems,if it's doable,that would be cheaper. I just drive over and park,so I haven't had to deal with this situation but I do see it asked quite a bit (about how to get to Galveston).
I looked into that. There are no rental car agencies in Galveston. It is costing me as much to go one way (LAX to IAH) as it is one way from IAH to the port.

The Carnival Freedom does an 8 day from Florida does the Panama Trip.. I would think that Galveston is closer than florida.

Actually, no it is not. Miami to Panama is about 1450 miles. Panama to Houston is about 1800 miles. That is measured as a ship would sail, not as a jet would fly.

The Carnival Freedom does an 8 day from Florida does the Panama Trip.. I would think that Galveston is closer than florida.

This courtesy of GoogleEarth. It illustrates the problem with cruising from the upper Gulf coast.

The black line represents the route we followed on the Carnival Legend in 2005. The red line is the most direct route from Galveston without making any stops.

2080256300080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

I would like to see this run:

Panama, Costa Rica, Roatan, Belize.

Or

Panama, Costa Rice, Roatan, Cozumel

These are similar to what the Carnival Triumph and NCL Spirit run from New Orleans in March 2010, minus the Panama stop. NCL already has their 2011 itineraries through June out as well. I wish Carnival would follow suit in a hurry. I'm very tempted by that itinerary and am trying to hold off booking until I see what Carnival has to offer in 2011. Although, it would be even nicer (closer to home for us) if Carnival would run something like that out of Galveston! What about it Carnival?? ;)

NOLA will get the Triumph but don't expect much in the way of new itineraries...

Not meaning to knit-pick but the Conquest is a flawed example. Carnival originally brought Holiday class Jubilee and Celebration to Galveston. Both were small old ships but they sold well. Carnival responded to the demand by bringing in then six year old Elation to sail seven day cruises. It took an act of god (hurricane Katrina) to bring Conquest to Galveston.

Don't expect to see Carnival bringing in 'old broken down' ships to Galveston. The entire class of Fantasy ships are being redone and the result is VERY pleasing. I just got off one last Thursday.

Also, there simply won't be as many new builds as there have been in the past. Look at the cost of the Dream, north of $700 million. That ain't chump change.

Some folks don't like the Conquest class. I happen to. Some folks don't like the Fantasy class. I happen to. I've yet to sail the Spirit class but I'm sure I'll enjoy those as well. Most of y'all know that I LOVE the Splendor!!!

I think Carnival is doing a good job of keeping the older ships up to date. Look at the addition of balconies on the Sensation... brilliant move, in my mind!!!

By the way... RCL's contribution to Galveston - VOTS - is no spring chicken... she first sailed in 1999... a year before the Conquest...

:)

These are similar to what the Carnival Triumph and NCL Spirit run from New Orleans in March 2010, minus the Panama stop. NCL already has their 2011 itineraries through June out as well. I wish Carnival would follow suit in a hurry. I'm very tempted by that itinerary and am trying to hold off booking until I see what Carnival has to offer in 2011. Although, it would be even nicer (closer to home for us) if Carnival would run something like that out of Galveston! What about it Carnival?? ;)

No the NCL one is doing New Orleans; Costa Maya; Santo Tomas De Castilla; Belize City; Cozumel

I want to do the Panama, Costa Rica, Ports most.

Triumph isn't doing those either

Western Caribbean: New Orleans, LA ; Fun Day At Sea ; Fun Day At Sea ; Belize ; Isla Roatan ; Cozumel, Mexico ; Fun Day At Sea ; New Orleans, LA

My hope is that new and different ports will develop within realistic cruising range of Galveston. Geography works against us here in the Western Gulf of Mexico. Nothing can change that. A ship can go just so far.

There are ports I'd like to see Carnival return to as well. I really miss Playa del Carmen. Yes Calica, the actual docking place, leaves a little to be desired. Oh all right it's a dump but it was a charming dump.:D Playa more than made up for it. The current port of Progresso is awful, IMHO. The water is murky, the beach so-so at best. I'd love to see a change to a different port for the 5 day Ecstacy trips.

Don't expect to see Carnival bringing in 'old broken down' ships to Galveston. The entire class of Fantasy ships are being redone and the result is VERY pleasing. I just got off one last Thursday.

:)

I'm not sure what gave you the impression I thought Carnival would bring an 'old broken down ship' here. I was simply pointing out that Carnival has already brought old ships here, several of them. We have paid our dues. :)

What I would like to see here is a Spirit Class ship. It has the speed to cover a deep southern route. My dream would be an alternate 10 day/ 4 day itinerary. The 4 day Thursday sailings are without doubt the highest per diem sailings from Galveston. A Spirit class ship could compliment the Ecstasy by sailing on the alternate weekends expanding this most popular itinerary, while doing a deep southern 10 day sailing on alternate Mondays. When school is in recess the ship could easily switch to seven day sailings departing on Saturdays during the summer. A different itinerary than Conquest would be a welcome alternative, perhaps Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya or Cozumel.

No the NCL one is doing New Orleans; Costa Maya; Santo Tomas De Castilla; Belize City; Cozumel

I want to do the Panama, Costa Rica, Ports most.

Triumph isn't doing those either

Western Caribbean: New Orleans, LA ; Fun Day At Sea ; Fun Day At Sea ; Belize ; Isla Roatan ; Cozumel, Mexico ; Fun Day At Sea ; New Orleans, LA

Well, I did say "similar." However, I don't know if they are all that similar. I've never sailed to those locations. I guess I should have just said "different" than the Western Caribbean itinerary currently out of Galveston. :o I was also trying to make a point to Carnival that I'm considering another line's 2011 itineraries and Carnival hasn't gotten theirs posted yet. ;) I just thought those itineraries sound interesting and tempting to me. Again, it would be nice if Carnival could figure out a way to change it up a bit and add some of those ports including those you've mentioned to their Galveston departure itineraries as well as get their 2011 itineraries out.

What I would like to see here is a Spirit Class ship. It has the speed to cover a deep southern route. My dream would be an alternate 10 day/ 4 day itinerary. The 4 day Thursday sailings are without doubt the highest per diem sailings from Galveston. A Spirit class ship could compliment the Ecstasy by sailing on the alternate weekends expanding this most popular itinerary, while doing a deep southern 10 day sailing on alternate Mondays. When school is in recess the ship could easily switch to seven day sailings departing on Saturdays during the summer. A different itinerary than Conquest would be a welcome alternative, perhaps Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya or Cozumel.

Sounds like a possible solution!

I would like to see this run:

Panama, Costa Rica, Roatan, Belize.

Or

Panama, Costa Rice, Roatan, Cozumel

Triumumph is not doing Costa Rica either, not just Panama. Both are too far from New Orleans to reach in a 7 day and back.

Id love to see Costa Rica, and Im sure I would have noticed a 7 day including that from New Orleans.

Archived