Galveston New Ship Question

WildWillie

I would book either of those itineraries in a heartbeat!

For the Ecstasy, I wonder if Vera Cruz would be a decent port to replace Progreso. I'll be there in May, but I've booked a tour to Merida.

For the Conquest, I wish Carnival would offer a trip to Costa Maya, Belize or Guatemala, and Roatan (in any order). Also, I'd like to see a Costa Rica, Honduras, Belize or Guatemala itinerary for this ship.

For the Ecstasy, I wonder if Vera Cruz would be a decent port to replace Progreso. I'll be there in May, but I've booked a tour to Merida.

For the Conquest, I wish Carnival would offer a trip to Costa Maya, Belize or Guatemala, and Roatan (in any order). Also, I'd like to see a Costa Rica, Honduras, Belize or Guatemala itinerary for this ship.

Didn't Carnival used to visit Veracruz? I know I was on a cruise that called there, but I can't recall which cruise it was...

I know that I enjoyed the visit. They did fireworks to send us off in the evening.

Im still guessing that Costa Rica must be too far to reach on a 7 day cruise from Galveston. There has to be a reason they dont try to go that far?

I didnt care much for the city of Belize, though those who got out in the countryside and did zip lining and cave tubing loved their excursions. I really didnt like Belize. Even the govenor's mansion has bars on the windows. Didnt look like a very safe city.

Iv never been on a cruiseline that goes to Guatemala ..... are there any cruiselines going to this place? which ones?

I did love Roatan, will be there again on my 4/5 cruise on Voyager.

Cruise ships rarely call on Vera Cruz. To my knowledge no scheduled ships call there. The last Carnival sailing to Vera Cruz was Elation,November 3, 2005 and I was onboard. The diversion was due to hurricane Wilma's knock-out punch to Cozumel. We were supposed to go to Coz and Calica but switched to Progreso and Vera Cruz instead.

I think Vera Cruz would be a great stop. It just won't sell. It doesn't have beaches. It's a shame as it is such a beautiful place.

1497227470080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

1497235218080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

1497250700080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

Well, I did say "similar." However, I don't know if they are all that similar. I've never sailed to those locations. I guess I should have just said "different" than the Western Caribbean itinerary currently out of Galveston. :o I was also trying to make a point to Carnival that I'm considering another line's 2011 itineraries and Carnival hasn't gotten theirs posted yet. ;) I just thought those itineraries sound interesting and tempting to me. Again, it would be nice if Carnival could figure out a way to change it up a bit and add some of those ports including those you've mentioned to their Galveston departure itineraries as well as get their 2011 itineraries out.

The NCL one does look tempting though.

Being from California, we chose Galveston for the same reason as earlier posted--shorter air distance than going to Florida. (Yes, cruising options ... a far as variety goes ... are limited in CA.) But the whole rental car situation for Galveston is a mess. We were planning to rent a car at IAH and turn it in at the Enterprise night-drop in Galveston, meaning that we would pay the extra day. Far cheaper than taking the Carnival shuttle or other shuttles, but a hassle. Fortunately family in the area decided to join us on the cruise, so they drove us to Galveston.

Now about itinieraries. I understand the geographic limitations of leaving from Galveston. But the new eastern Caribbean itinerary for the Conquest (Key West, Freeport, Nassau) sounds boring. How about a different western Caribbean itinerary? RCL Voyager of the Seas goes to Honduras, Roatan and Cozumel; occasionally mixing something like that into the Conquest schedule would shake things up. I love the 10/4 idea that an earlier poster suggested, but can CCL fill the Conquest for 10-day cruises every other week?

Im still guessing that Costa Rica must be too far to reach on a 7 day cruise from Galveston. There has to be a reason they dont try to go that far?

I didnt care much for the city of Belize, though those who got out in the countryside and did zip lining and cave tubing loved their excursions. I really didnt like Belize. Even the govenor's mansion has bars on the windows. Didnt look like a very safe city.

Iv never been on a cruiseline that goes to Guatemala ..... are there any cruiselines going to this place? which ones?

NCL has one out of New Orleans that visits Santo Tomas De Castillo, Guatemala.

I would love to know why the 5-day Ecstasy itinerary won't start going to Costa Maya instead of Progreso. The Fantasy did this itin from NOLA before the hurricane. Why can't they return to this, and have the Ecstasy start doing it? They must have some deal with Progreso to keep returning to this dump.

For the person knocking NCL's old ships, the NCL Sun which sailed out of Houston was built in 2001. That makes it one year older than the Conquest. The only reason it went to Houston was because of Hurricane Katrina.

The NCL Spirit does one thing that I wish Carnival would do, it has 4 ports of call on a 7-night sailing. Cozumel, Guatemala, Belize and Costa Maya.

Dave

Now about itinieraries. I understand the geographic limitations of leaving from Galveston. But the new eastern Caribbean itinerary for the Conquest (Key West, Freeport, Nassau) sounds boring.

I totally agree! I do want to visit Key West some day, but not sure I want to do that through a cruise. I'd like to stay maybe a couple of days - maybe they could stay in port overnight so passengers who want to could enjoy the daytime shopping and then experience the night life (so often cruise ships have to leave port before evening events take place) but as far as Nassau, I'm not that excited about that port. I've been there and it was just okay. Not sure about Freeport, but if it's anything like Nassau, I'll pass, thank you very much.

I would love to know why the 5-day Ecstasy itinerary won't start going to Costa Maya instead of Progreso. The Fantasy did this itin from NOLA before the hurricane. Why can't they return to this, and have the Ecstasy start doing it? They must have some deal with Progreso to keep returning to this dump.

Or at least offer an alternative week. The Fantasy is going to Costa Maya on the Nov 10th 6-night sailing along with Progreso and Cozumel. (come join us)

One thing Carnival is doing with Mobile and the Fantasy is that it is going to offer a limited number of 7-night sailings in May, July and Oct 2010.

Dave

For the person knocking NCL's old ships, the NCL Sun which sailed out of Houston was built in 2001. That makes it one year older than the Conquest. The only reason it went to Houston was because of Hurricane Katrina.

The NCL Sea (built in 1988) and the NCL Star (built in 1973 as Royal Viking Sea) both preceded the NCL Sun from Houston. The point made earlier is a valid one. NCL brought rust buckets to Houston in the mid 1990's followed by better ships. Carnival brought its oldest ships to Galveston a few years later, to also be followed by newer and better ships.

The NCL Sea (built in 1988) and the NCL Star (built in 1973 as Royal Viking Sea) both preceded the NCL Sun from Houston. The point made earlier is a valid one. NCL brought rust buckets to Houston in the mid 1990's followed by better ships. Carnival brought its oldest ships to Galveston a few years later, to also be followed by newer and better ships.

Huh? Was there an earlier NCL Star? The one I sailed on was designed and built by NCL and launched in 2001; it was beautiful when I sailed it in 2005.

Huh? Was there an earlier NCL Star? The one I sailed on was designed and built by NCL and launched in 2001; it was beautiful when I sailed it in 2005.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/NCLPCs3.html#anchor477199

Here is an article from our local paper from December 1998. I'ts from the Sunday travel section announcing the NCL Star's replacement by the newer larger NCL Sea.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1998_3104031

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/NCLPCs3.html#anchor477199

Here is an article from our local paper from December 1998. I'ts from the Sunday travel section announcing the NCL Star's replacement by the newer larger NCL Sea.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1998_3104031

Ah. Clear from these articles that the "old" NCL Star is not the ship that is currently sailing as the NCL Star. The old one may have been a rust bucket, but the current one is not.

Ah. Clear from these articles that the "old" NCL Star is not the ship that is currently sailing as the NCL Star. The old one may have been a rust bucket, but the current one is not.

Yes...but the current one never sailed from Houston. :p

Or at least offer an alternative week. The Fantasy is going to Costa Maya on the Nov 10th 6-night sailing along with Progreso and Cozumel. (come join us)

That sounds like a great trip!! But with Ecstasy sailings booked for 10/22 and 12/12, I'm about tapped for cruise cash for the year, unless I hit MegaCash in April. :o

I would love to sail the Fantasy again. I don't know what it is about that ship, but I really really liked it. It's one of my favorites.

Yes...but the current one never sailed from Houston. :p

I'm not from Houston, so I don't know the Houston ship history. I learned something today; I had no idea that there was an NCL Star existing earlier than the current NCL Star. Somebody should tell NCL that they should come up with new names.... ;-)

We too are close to Galveston, so driving down there to jump onboard is a no brainer. BUT we've done the Jubilee, Elation and Conquest twice and want a new itinierary.

We have found cruising in February out of Ft. Lauderdale is a piece of cake. Non stops from Houston, super easy port to deal with....quick cab ride, and great itineraries. And the prices are better than Conquest prices, too. I think our airfare was under $250. Last year we did St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Maarten on the Miracle. We'll leave on 2/28 for San Juan, Tortola, St. Thomas, Antigua and Nassau. All first time visits to these islands.

We're looking at The Freedom 2/13/2010 for Costa Rica, Panama and I believe, Cozumel. We both love sea days alot, so loved the Miracle trip with two sea days on each end.

I would like to see Key West some day, but don't feel like it's a 'real' cruise stop since it's still basically Florida.

I'd love to see different ports out of Galveston, but don't think it's going to happen. I wouldn't enjoy leaving from The Port of Houston....too much time traveling the ship channel to get out.

Seems like Galveston could do Belize, Santo Tomas De Castilla, more Honduras and Costa Maya, Ocho Rios instead of MB, Key West, Bahamas, etc. I am just happy to cruise but it would be nice to see a few new places here and there.

No the NCL one is doing New Orleans; Costa Maya; Santo Tomas De Castilla; Belize City; Cozumel

I want to do the Panama, Costa Rica, Ports most.

Triumph isn't doing those either

Western Caribbean: New Orleans, LA ; Fun Day At Sea ; Fun Day At Sea ; Belize ; Isla Roatan ; Cozumel, Mexico ; Fun Day At Sea ; New Orleans, LA

Princess has the Island and Coral ships going to the Pacific coast of Guatemala (Puerto Quetzal) on their Panama Canal trips. I don't know of any except the NCL cruise mentioned above going to Caribbean Guatemala. (I'm planning a Panama Canal cruise on one of these ships for my 45th birthday in 2013).

For the person knocking NCL's old ships, the NCL Sun which sailed out of Houston was built in 2001. That makes it one year older than the Conquest. The only reason it went to Houston was because of Hurricane Katrina."

I stand corrected. I forgot the Sun was here. I just knew the Star which was first, then the Sea. After a couple of cruises on the Sea, we decided our cruising experiences needed to be elsewhere so the Sun was off our radar. We took the Dream on it's last cruise out of LaPorte on a trans-Atlantic and that ship was pretty poor. It was "stretched" to add additional cabins but did not add infrastructure or crew. The grill had no where the number of tables needed, maybe 35 max. The only way some people could get to their cabins from the main deck was through the theater. If the theater was closed (rehearsals, shows) they had to go up a deck and back down. You, also, had to go through the dining room to get from one end to the other.

You are, also, correct about the Conquest. If it hadn't been for Katrina, we wouldn't have gotten that ship here. Prior to Katrina, it was the Celebration (mid 80's) and Ecstacy (1991)--not the newest ships in their line. We still have the Ecstacy but we kept the Conquest when a newer ship was brought into New Orleans when cruises could continue from there. I'm not sure where the Celebration is now. We thought we had hit the jackpot with the Rhapsody (1997) when it came here to sail year around.

Tucker in Texas

Archived