No cocktails delivered to staterooms?

mithryl

I just got back from a cruise on the Sapphire Princess. One night we called room service and asked to have two drinks delivered to our cabin. I was told that they could not deliver anything that wasn't on the room service menu. When did this change? Last March we sailed her sister the Diamond and were always able to order from the bars through room service. Is this a ship specific decision or fleet-wide? I was very disappointed, as I had just gotten comfy in my PJ's and wanted a night-cap. Ended up having to get dressed and go down to one of the bars and bring the drink back up to the cabin. Overall, my experience was that Princess service is starting to deteriorate. On all previous Princess cruises (and other lines) I ordered a fresh pitcher of ice water with a sliced lemon on the side each morning. On this cruise, I was told I could not get a pitcher, only glasses of ice water. Is it just me?

I just got back from a cruise on the Sapphire Princess. One night we called room service and asked to have two drinks delivered to our cabin. I was told that they could not deliver anything that wasn't on the room service menu. When did this change? Last March we sailed her sister the Diamond and were always able to order from the bars through room service. Is this a ship specific decision or fleet-wide? I was very disappointed, as I had just gotten comfy in my PJ's and wanted a night-cap. Ended up having to get dressed and go down to one of the bars and bring the drink back up to the cabin. Overall, my experience was that Princess service is starting to deteriorate. On all previous Princess cruises (and other lines) I ordered a fresh pitcher of ice water with a sliced lemon on the side each morning. On this cruise, I was told I could not get a pitcher, only glasses of ice water. Is it just me?

This must be something new as I have never had a request for room service denied. Maybe kids were ordering on this voyage? In the future pack something in your checked luggage for a night cap.:rolleyes:

I thought the pizza delivery was a relatively new thing, introduced in the last year or so. :confused:

Rob I'm on the same page with you. I believe when they started the room delivery of pizza they put the charge on to hopefully avoid waste. Don't think they ever delivered it totally free.

For those that think the delivery charge is insane, get up off your lazy butt and go get it yourself from the pizzeria.

I appreciate all the information about Pizza delivery, but my question is about cocktails. Has anyone sailed very recently and had the same experience wilt no cocktail delivery through room service and no pitchers of ice water? It's possible that the person answering the phone was inexperienced and I didn't push the issue, but I find it hard to believe that they'll deliver food for free and not drinks that are a high profit margin for them.

Thanks,

Vicki

This is just my opinion, but I can't imagine that they would deliver alcohol to the cabins as it may be kids ordering it. From all of the threads about troublesome kids on cruises lately, including drunk kids, I can see why they would not want to contribute to that situation.

Up until the last year or two, pizza was not delivered to cabins, nor were you even allowed to take more than a slice of it out of the pizza restaurant's environs. Does anyone else remember this, or am I just dreaming? :)

It might be that those that want a night cap might have to make the bar the last stop before bed...........to take their night cap with them to their cabin.

If you are not happy with a response:( you receive from an employee, ask to speak to their supervisor. I wouldn't wait until you got back home to ask on this board to get an answer.

Pizza was not delivered by room service until Princess added a $3 charge.

Maybe you got a someone not fully trained/informed.

I would guess you are right. That was like our last Princess cruise: we asked for some wine glasses, room service told us to get them from our cabin stewardness, we called her, she said she didn't have them we would have to get them from room service. We called them back, they suggested we just go to the bar and ask for a couple. Long story short, 3 days later 2 wine glasses did appear in our cabin. Maybe it is uninformed, maybe it is lazyness..

Nita

Kind of goes along with being charged $3.50 for having pizza delivered to your room after midnight, used to be free.
It was never delivered to your cabin before, free or not.

Up until the last year or two, pizza was not delivered to cabins, nor were you even allowed to take more than a slice of it out of the pizza restaurant's environs. Does anyone else remember this, or am I just dreaming? :)
You are absolutely correct. Up until about a year ago, you couldn't take pizza out of the restaurant. Now they will deliver a whole pizza to your cabin for a $3.50 service charge. My guess is that too many people were dropping pizza which is why you couldn't take it to your cabin and with rugs, the stains are almost impossible to remove.

As for drinks, with the bar set-up, I never think of ordering a drink in my cabin. :(

I would guess you are right. That was like our last Princess cruise: we asked for some wine glasses, room service told us to get them from our cabin stewardness, we called her, she said she didn't have them we would have to get them from room service. We called them back, they suggested we just go to the bar and ask for a couple. Long story short, 3 days later 2 wine glasses did appear in our cabin. Maybe it is uninformed, maybe it is lazyness..

Nita

WOW, that amazes me. We have always called room service in the past and ordered whatever glasses we might need to be delivered. It comes in very handy before a cocktail party to just pick up the phone and order say a dozen wine glasses, a dozen tall drink glasses and a dozen champagne glasses. I can't think of any cruise in the past where this was not available, even last month, it was provided in a flash. You must have really got a newbie on the phone when you called, as this is something they have always done without question.

Try again on your next cruise, and I am going to guess that the results will be totally different.

BTW-We have never had a room steward provide these for us, we have always had to call room service for them. ;)

Genuinely curious. Did you just order glasses and used your own booze or did you also order some booze from room service / bar? Thanks.

WOW, that amazes me. We have always called room service in the past and ordered whatever glasses we might need to be delivered. It comes in very handy before a cocktail party to just pick up the phone and order say a dozen wine glasses, a dozen tall drink glasses and a dozen champagne glasses.

;)

Genuinely curious. Did you just order glasses and used your own booze or did you also order some booze from room service / bar? Thanks.

We have sometimes just asked for glasses and ice, and sometimes also ordered wine, mixers, and the little-bitty pint bottles room service sells.

A couple of times, our stewards took care of this for us - both times I can recall, we were in suites, once on the Grand, and once on the Regal. In both cases, those stewards acted like butlers and really took care of us well. Most of the time you have to call room sorbees.

Glasses and ice only as sometimes we bring our own wine onboard, and there are times that they don't leave enough glasses for the mini bar. ;)

It was never delivered to your cabin before, free or not.

You are absolutely correct. Up until about a year ago, you couldn't take pizza out of the restaurant. Now they will deliver a whole pizza to your cabin for a $3.50 service charge.

When the Crown sailed out of NY they offered the Brooklyn Balcony Nosh for $7.00

Nathan's Hot Dog with all the trimmings, an ice cold bottle of Brooklyn Brewery's Premium Lager Beer, and a generous slice of Junior's Cheesecake.

Now that the CB took the Crown's place, it's no longer offered. Guess it wasn't a big hit, they stopped it.

In 2007 Princess started to offer cabin delivery service of its homemade Italian-style pizza pies. For a nominal $3 service charge.

Pizza arrives in a traditional pizza box with plates, napkins and cutlery.

We have never had a problem taking Poolside pizzeria back to our cabin.

After a long day on an excursion, we stop off to pick up a slice or two and head back to our cabin to enjoy while sitting out on the balcony.

WOW, that amazes me. We have always called room service in the past and ordered whatever glasses we might need to be delivered. It comes in very handy before a cocktail party to just pick up the phone and order say a dozen wine glasses, a dozen tall drink glasses and a dozen champagne glasses. I can't think of any cruise in the past where this was not available, even last month, it was provided in a flash. You must have really got a newbie on the phone when you called, as this is something they have always done without question.

Try again on your next cruise, and I am going to guess that the results will be totally different.

BTW-We have never had a room steward provide these for us, we have always had to call room service for them. ;)

Thanks for the head's-up on this, as I'm sailing on the Crown Sunday with basically my entire family, and was wondering how to get wine glasses, etc. My friend who is cabining with me went with me yesterday to the wine store to pick up about 10 bottles of various wines (we have 10 adults in our group and 2 kids), and I offered to buy for everyone since they are all flying in from various places around the country and I live right here in South FL.

Can you tell me what you do with the glasses when you're done with them? Just wondering what was appropriate and easiest for the staff.

Thanks for the head's-up on this, as I'm sailing on the Crown Sunday with basically my entire family, and was wondering how to get wine glasses, etc. My friend who is cabining with me went with me yesterday to the wine store to pick up about 10 bottles of various wines (we have 10 adults in our group and 2 kids), and I offered to buy for everyone since they are all flying in from various places around the country and I live right here in South FL.

Can you tell me what you do with the glasses when you're done with them? Just wondering what was appropriate and easiest for the staff.

We just leave the ones we have used in one area, on the tray they were delivered on, a bit of a neat freak here, so I always orgainze them after use. The room steward removes them when he comes to turn the beds down in the evening.

If you need to order more, just call room service and they will deliver, even every day, if that is what you wish. ;)

This was just one of many little mis-communications we had. Believe me, we are expecting our cruise on Princess this year to be a little different. The last one was just a comedy of errors and I never would hold the entire line responsible for one bad or less than great experience. Overall we had a good time, we just had service problems. I am sure next time everything will work out fine..

Nita

We've never had an issue ordering drinks to the cabin. I wonder though if perhaps you past some cut-off point in the evening and they were done delivering/serving liqour for the evening. If that were the case, it would have been a better answer/more complete answer than what you were given which left you with the impression they don't do it (I'm sure they do because otherwise even more people would bring on booze and cut into their margin) as well leaving a bad taste in your mouth by telling you to go out and get it yourself at a bar.

Archived