Barcelona Airport - Good or Bad

I am not a very confident traveller so would say Barcelona is a very easy airport.

Thanks for your good answer. Your description of yourself fits me perfectly. In addition to getting stressed by airports, I'm a solo, "older" woman traveller. I dread dealing with luggage, ATM's and finding a taxi.

The Barcelona airport is easy and fairly modern. Of course , unless you have the misfortune I had in the Summer of 2006 of landing there in the middle of an illegal strike of the bagagge handlers... I thought I would never ever be able to face that airport again without getting sick to my stomach! But last year I conquered my demons, and flew out of the Barcelona airport with no problems!

We were at the Barcelona airport twice last year. For our June departure to the US we sailed right through. In September we were stopped at 4 check points before we could get the the departure lounge. We were even check before we were allowed to SIT in the departure area. Not sure what prompted all the check points, but it sure took a lot of extra time to go through all of that.

Sounds like clearing customs when arriving from the US is not much of an issue.

It's not really - we have arrived from the U.S., the U.K. and Switzerland and each time, a short stop at Immigration for passport stamps and on to Luggage Claim. After getting your bags, follow the signs to the Green doors (Nothing To Declare) and you're outside....

OP here. This is all really good news. Thanks all for reducing my travel anxiety. Perhaps in the future I will book more cruises in and out of Barcelona.

Now, just have to clear up an issue with Hotel Jazz booking which I will post on a separate thread.

There is only a small difference compared to most international airports:

Before you reach the baggage claim area:

Check on these monitors:

2008-NCL-Jade-00003-Gepaeck-BCN.jpg

Which is your baggage claim area???

Once you passed the doors you cannot return to the transit hall which connects all three Terminal areas.

Regards,

HeinBloed

But do not forget one point:

The information are limited to the current terminal operations...

In 2009 a new terminal will be opened... then everything can be totally different...

Like you had with T5 in Heathrow when the new terminal was opened...

So let's see what happens when the new terminal goes in operation.

Regards,

HeinBloed

While we're on the subject of the Barcelona airport....

How far is the airport from the cruise port, distance and time-wise?

Wondering how long I need to get to the airport after the cruise?

Thanks! :)

about 10 miles = 16 kms

if there is no traffic 25-30 minutes

depends to the day and time of travel

Regards,

HeinBloed

We flew out of Barcelona on a Monday morning, rush hour. It was about 45 minutes from downtown (with a good driver :p).

We waited in line about 7-8 minutes to get to the ticket agent, and when we got there he apologized for the wait. Huh? Apparently there was a strike and managers were filling in. We didn't even notice. :)

While we're on the subject of the Barcelona airport....

How far is the airport from the cruise port, distance and time-wise?

Wondering how long I need to get to the airport after the cruise?

Thanks! :)

like others have mentioned traffic, time of day and day of the week will all play a part in how long it takes i have done it in 20 minutes on a sunday morning while other times it took up any where up to 45 minutes. if you factor in an hour for the journey you will be fine.

Thanks for the info!

Still trying to figure out how much time we need from when the ship docks till our plane leaves to come back to NY.

Have recent cruisers been able to make flights as early as NOON on the day of debarkation?

It seems too early to me, but with only 30-45 travel time, it seems possible in a good airport...like Barcelona sounds.

:)

Archived