I won a cruise on the Navigator, now what?

I won a cruise on the Navigator in a promotion from my grocery store :). We leave from Ft.Lauderdale and stop in Key West and Grand Cayman. I have perused the rssc website already and was wondering if I could get a first hand perspective on a few things.

1) What can I expect on the ship?

2)What services/amenities should I definitely take advantage of?

3) Has anyone made use of the Carita spa?

A little background on us- although we are fairly well travelled this will be a first pleasure cruise for us- the last time I was at sea was on an aircraft carrier. My husband and I are in our low 30's without kids, are pretty adventurous and definitely enjoy good food and wine.

Any advice is appreciated!

Oh you lucky guys! Navigator is a lovely ship. It's small and intimate, but has a big heart.

Remember that it's open seating in the main dining room, Compass Rose, and you can have a table for two whenever you like, or choose to join a larger table. That can be quite fun, in my experience.

The bars are terrific, and hopefully there will be some dancing.

Enjoy the included cocktails and wine, etc. And no tipping, except in the spa.

The spas on these ships are really good, but very expensive. Just a warning--an example would be the "deluxe" pedicure is about $90.

Congratulations...here are some suggestions after five Regent cruises, two on the Nav:

--you can board about noon...on boarding you will get a welcome glass of champagne, register, then go have a relaxing lunch and tour the ship from top to bottom or vice a versa...and your cabin should be ready.

--if you want to make appointments in the spa..a sea day is a good day for a massage, etc..pls make your appointment shortly after you board. We use the spa daily for

a steam bath or sauna (free of charge)

--if you want a special bedding, softdrink or liquor for your room..just let your steward or stewardess know when you meet them after you board.

--ask for the Heidsick champagne vs the Regent Champagne for your cabin..we like to have champagne at every port we sail away from, toast on the balcony...if you would like to do the same, ask for champagne on ice (from room service)three hours before you disembark from each port.

--if you enjoy your Regent cruise, see the crusie consultant during your cruise and consider making another booking you will get a 5% off your next cuise--an onboard discount.

--Check the laundry facilities out on your deck...if you need to you can do laundry

before the end of your cruise at no cost (early a.m. is a good time to do laundry)

--if you can't make excursion reservations online before your cruise...suggest you go

to guest relations on boarding and confirm or make your selected excursions (altho you

may be familiar w/cc ports threads and find private excursions (at better prices) for

Grand Cayman and Key West, et.al.

--As a new Regent cruiser, if you want to use the internet they will have packages

100 min or 250 min..these are a better deal than paying each time you use the computer.

--if you have your choice ask for a cabin mid ship, recommend selecting a cabin forward

of the laundry rooms on each deck..the Nav has a vibration problem (that may or may not bother you) aft. The vibration is pronounced aft and in the ala carte restaurant, portofino's.

As stated above, the Nav is a small ship (only 490 pax) you will not encounter lines

for dining or in the bar.

Believe you will have a wonderful cruise...wishing you, "fair winds and following seas."

Congratulations - this is truly a dream come true!! If I didn't live in Switzerland I would ask which grocery store you go to and shop there!

I use the spa a lot. I have found the hairdressers to be good, sometimes very good. Manicure/pedicure very nice and massages extremely good. Many of the people who work there are Asian and the last several times the manicurist has been French.

One tip - if you don't like the wine they are pouring with dinner just ask for something you do like. If they have it they will bring it - as long as it isn't one of their "vintage specials" for which they charge.

Thanks for all the responses thus far.All inclusive is new to me as on my land based vacations I am out exploring as much as I can, but I'm certainly looking forward to being pampered. I like the idea of having a champagne toast at each departure and I will definitely take advantage of the steam room and sauna.

I have not recieved my cabin assignment yet but I should get it later this week.

wv

Speaking of cabin assignment, the Navigator's lowest priced cabins have no balconies. If you find you won a cabin with no balcony, you might consider paying a bit extra to get a balcony particularly since you are doing a tropical itinerary. All standard cabins on Navigator have interiors that are the same size. They are marvelous cabins that sell as premium cabins on the mass market lines. You'll love any cabin you get. But a balcony is a real plus for many in warm weather. Also with respect to cabin selection, the Navigator has a noticable vibration problem in the aft of the ship. Nothing that will spoil your cruise by any means but noticable and irritating to some. (I doubt if it would bother me at all.) If you can select a cabin, steer clear of the far aft cabins. Navigator is a marvelous ship. You are starting your cruising experience at the top. Enjoy! My guess is it will not be your last cruise. Pat

not necessarily long sleeve, and I do know people who wear golf type polos. It is really nice for men. Slacks, no shorts.

If you cruise one time you will always want to cruise. You stop somewhere different every day and you can or can not get off--it is up to you. No boredom--no tipping every time you check in or check out and people take care of YOU. I do agree with the other poster--you might want a balcony. I wish I could win a cruise on Regent! Lucky you. It is one of the best and we always go Crystal or Regent, Silverseas or that type of ship--you are sooooo lucky.

In January they specified no polo shirts in the dining room. Any collared shirt is fine, but not golf at dinner.

Also, be prepared at 6:00 on embarkation day to leave your suite, with glass in hand, for a "block party" in your hallway. Great fun.

Good luck, congratulations and enjoy!!!

wanderingviolet, just wanted to let you know that a fellow HT winner is around. My wife and I are really looking forward to our cruise. We could not believe we actually won a cruise from Harris Teeter. Didn't even know we registered! Our first cruise too. I have found these boards very helpful. Thanks to all of you cruisecritic folks who post about Regent...Great info. Now if the documents would just get here...supposed to arrive any day.

wanderingviolet, just wanted to let you know that a fellow HT winner is around. My wife and I are really looking forward to our cruise. We could not believe we actually won a cruise from Harris Teeter. Didn't even know we registered! Our first cruise too. I have found these boards very helpful. Thanks to all of you cruisecritic folks who post about Regent...Great info. Now if the documents would just get here...supposed to arrive any day.

Congrats Rick! I was wondering if I would come across any other HT winners on this board. I agree on the helpfulness of the posters here, this is one of the better travel boards I have come across.

It's a good thing that they got my voicemail(and thus I was able to confirm this was a legitimate promotion) when they first called to notify me, if I had answered I probably would have passed thinking it was a scam as I am typically quite skeptical of these things.

To those of you wondering our grocery store regularly runs promotions where if you shop at least once a week(at least $40) for 14-16 weeks and you use your frequent shopper card you get some sort of prize.This particular promotion that prize was a piece of luggage and then you were also entered into a drawing for the cruise. They picked 1 winner from each store to go on the cruise.

Rick, if you don't mind me asking-where do you live? I'm in Virginia Beach.

Wife just called and our documents just arrived. Flying out of RDU at noon. Violet, I live in Mebane, NC, a little town not too far from Chapel Hill where I work. I grew up in Blacksburg, VA though and also ended up going to grad school at VT, hence "hokierick." Harris Teeter I think is HQed here in NC and there are a ton of stores in the state. Which airport are you flying out of? They have a charted flight from Raleigh for us.

Rick

Really hope you enjoy your cruise. Travelers who have cruised non-luxury cruise ships really appreciate what Regent has to offer. Try not to take some of the negative comments on this board too seriously. Most of us are repeat Regent passengers and therefore find fault a little easier than first time cruisers. We are currently on a cruise and have listened to many people discuss how all cruise lines are cutting back in different ways. It's sad that they have to raise prices and lower services. Quite a dilemna in this poor economy.

Write a review when you return:)

Archived