Anyone bought a diamond in the Caribbean?

melgray13

We have a quickly appoaching cruise in the Southern Caribbean. We are planning to look at purchasing a loose diamond for a wedding ring upgrade.

We are looking for a 1.25 ct marquise cut - maybe color F and VS - VVS clarity. Can you be of any help as to what a "good" price might be?

We're thinking St Martin is going to be the best place to do our shopping :)

From what I've read on CC, don't buy! Trust a reputable jeweler in your area. You will not know if you are buying a quality diamond or if the price is right. If it is too good to be true, it probably is not quality.

I have a friend who purchased a diamond in the Caribbean to upgrade. She had to leave her ring there for a few hours. When she returned home she went to a jeweler to find out it was not as good a diamond as she had originally. Buy at home and be safe.

Hi melgray13,

You should feel totally confident purchasing a diamond from reputable jewellers such as Diamonds International or Little Switzerland. Both have locations in St Maarten and both are highly recommended by Celebrity. I have made several purchases at both and have been very surprised when I've taken the pieces in for appraisal for insurance purposes. Worth much more than what I paid. Happy diamond shopping !!!!!!!!:)

Would never let anyone work on my ring unless Icould see i being done--& I would not buy such a big item away from home--no recourse if there's a problem.....also how would you be able to get an accurate appraisal from a neutral party!

A few bought cubic zerconium they were told was diamond! :D

I would be VERY reluctant to invest the sort of funds you're contemplating in what is known to be a 'hustle bustle' business (with emphasis on the hustle) outside US jurisdiction. I might consider a better jeweler in St. Thomas - just due to US jurisdiction... but I'd still think twice.

The BIG supposed attraction is 'duty free' - but I've never been led to believe that duty was particularly high in the gemstones area. I don't know, but I've sort of gotten the impression this is tail wagging the dog marketing hype (liquor's another story, but again that is mostly state taxes rather than fed duty).

We have never bought "expensive" pieces but have bought many items under $1,000. We look for unusual items that you can't find here in the US. Also have purchased a few watches because the prices really do seem to be better. Much better than at home and on the ship, especially if you bargain.

No matter what you want to buy, make sure you know the value ahead of time. Otherwise you don't know if you are getting a good deal. So, if you want that diamond, shop around at home ahead of time so you know what it should cost and you know what you are looking for.

Enjoy,

Duane

Years ago my DH boughta diamond ring to replace my engagement ring at Diamonds International in St. Thomas. Whenever I take this ring to be cleaned at any local jewelers, they always tell me what a quality stone it is. I would not hesitate to purchase from Diamonds International again.

I bought a one-plus carat, emerald cut right-hand diamond ring in St. Thomas at Diamonds International about two years. Paid $2400, came back and had it appraised at my local jeweler for $4500. So I had a good experience. But do be careful. There are a lot of scam artist stores in the Caribbean. If you do buy, make sure you examine the stone carefully using a magnifying loupe. Ask if you can walk outside and look at it in the sunlight, where you are much more likely to notice imperfections, carbon deposits, etc.

Do not buy from the first store you see. If you have any doubts, don't purchase and whatever you do, do NOT leave your existing ring at the store for them to "swap" out the new stone for the old.

Do that at a reputable jeweler here in the states.

You might also consider checking out online diamond stores here in the States - bluenile and uniondiamond are both very good, very reputable (registered with better business bureau and others) and sell diamonds at prices that are less than your standard jeweler/storefront.

You might also take a look at this forum - lots of reviews of jewelers - my husband and I found it very useful when we were looking for my engagement ring.

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/forum.asp?forumID=57

Hope that helps!

St Thomas is the place to go. I bought a 3 carat diamond with a guarantee given that it would appraise for twice the cost. Cost me $1200.00, same day I arrived home the ring appraised for $4900.00. A wee bit me than twice as much. I will buy all of my diamonds there for now on.

I don't know why I'm sort of hesitant about the Caribbean (because much of the jewelers are mere tourist hucksters!) - OK...

I bought emerald jewelry in Cartagena in 2001 that was great quality and a very good price. My mom bought a 'sapphire' from a kid on the streets of Bangkok back in the early '70's. She said it looked like a little chunk of charcoal glued to a piece of cardboard; I think she gave the kid $8-10 for it (mainly cause she thought he was a sweet poor street kid with a nice come-on). When she showed it to her local jeweler he indicated that it was a pretty good quality star sapphire that just needed TCL and a decent polishing job. So he polished it up, mounted it in a ring, and she gave to me.

I imagine some of the big retailers in the islands are reliable and a good deal.

Ultimately, as much as I enjoy it, jewelry is one of the most perplexingly redicules pursuits of the human species. I've not bought any in some time.

Say - if you want to gawk some awesome jewelry, the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich has some eye popping storefronts.

St Thomas is the place to go. I bought a 3 carat diamond with a guarantee given that it would appraise for twice the cost. Cost me $1200.00, same day I arrived home the ring appraised for $4900.00. A wee bit me than twice as much. I will buy all of my diamonds there for now on.
A 3 carat diamond for $1200? Please tell us all where!

Les

To the OP- a 1.25ct mq cut F color VS1 according to the current wholesale list is 4900.00 per carat. There are several things you should understand. First there is a lot (and I mean a lot) of inventory in the diamond market so this price should be very negotiable. You also need to consider the fact that marquise cuts are not the current trend, so if anyone (wholesaler or retailer) is sitting on any marquise cut diamonds they should be very happy to find a buyer making it even more negotiable. The next thing you need to consider is how the diamond is cut- Is it a good length to width ratio (not too fat, not too skinny). The next is the laboratory that is grading the stone. EGL is notorious for overgrading. GIA reports are better and you can usually feel okay that the stone is graded properly. (you will pay more for a GIA cert) Also get in writting that the stone has not been clarity enhanced or color enhanced. The enhanced stones should be a lot less expensive than non enhanced but unfortunately this is not always disclosed by the seller. My advice is buy locally from a jeweler that you can trust. Shop around and educate yourself. Jane (In the business over 30 years) I'll be glad to answer any questions.

A few points and comments (excuse the length):

On appraisals: Most are done for insurance purposes and are appraised according to some sort of standard that represents a full undiscounted retail price - generally much higher that what items actually sell for. I had a discussion with a local jeweler about this when they gave me an appraisal for a diamond I purchased from them at a much high value and I would have preferred it appraised for at what I paid as I wanted to insure it but didn't want to pay insurance on some inflated value that I knew the insurance company would never pay. It is just a fact that the appraisal standards call for a high non-discounted price.

We've bought several nice expensive pieces of jewelry at places in St. Martin including Ballerina (which has had many glowing reviews on these boards) and Majesty Jewelers. Both have appraised very nicely both in comparison to the prices we paid but also compared to the ratio of purchase price to appraised price in relation to items bought at local jewelers. I have no problems buying expensive jewelry in the Caribbean as long as you've done some shopping ahead of time so you know what you're looking for and the relative values, gotten recommendations about stores, and that you realize you are taking a risk. It is very difficult to get any recourse if you end up unhappy and most of us know way too little about evaluating jewelry. The cruise line "guarantees" are almost worthless. The only redeeming factor is the proximity to potentially good buys, for those of you that don't live in areas that have good quality discount jewelers, and the romantic value of buying some nice jewelry for your love while on a nice cruise. But if you can't afford the risk of getting stung then stick with a local reputable jeweler even if it costs a bit more.

One potential way of getting an idea of good value is to stick with "certified" diamonds if the diamond itself is the major key to value of the piece. You can research prices on the internet finding several good "wholesale to the public" dealers in NY or Chicago, among other places, selling certified stones. For example click here or click here. A Little work with a search engine will find you many more. But also be aware that all the certified diamond standards are not equal. Research this and you'll find that GIA has the highest standards and reputation and some others, including the ones common in the Caribbean, have much lower standards and a stone rated by them will not rate as high if re-certified by GIA.

As for Diamonds International and the other cruise line recommend stores...like another poster mentioned these recommendations are bought and paid for and not earned. The shopping and port guide person on the ship is an advertising position and often not even an employee of the ship. If you research this on these boards you'll find a lot of complaints about these companies that were not resolved despite cruise line guarantees. On the other hand you'll also find some happy customers. We even bought some diamond earrings years ago at Diamond International in St. Thomas for my wife which years later appraised satisfactorily. Still, I'd be extra careful there or at other cruise line recommend stores. I've even heard rumors that Diamonds International is owned by one or more of the cruise lines - although I've never tried to find out if that is true or not.

Hope this all helps and isn't too wordy.

I agree that Diamond International and Little Switzerland are good places to shop. I've purchased several rings, and upgraded my wedding set, at DI in St. Thomas. They have a store in New York, too, so returning, etc., can be in the Continental U.S.

I priced in the U.S. before I went, and then shopped for the same size, clarity, color. The prices are definitely less, but they guarantee their diamonds.

Ballerina in St. Maarten is also good. I bought my anniversary band there, and I'm very happy with it.

I agree that Diamond International and Little Switzerland are good places to shop....

I once heard that Little Switzerland was owned by Tiffany's. Don't know if that is true but they appear to have very nice things in their store along with prices a little higher than other stores.

On a Summit cruise last March and with the recommendation of one of our tablemates,who has purchased diamonds and jewelry often in the Caribbean, we bought a diamond ring at Imperial Jewelers in St. Thomas. We then worried about it for the rest of the cruise. As soon as we got home we took it to an appraser who has an impeccable reputation in the D.C. area. He appraised it for two and a half times what we paid for it. The documents on the diamond that we got at Imperial matched his across the board. He also asked where we bought it as he has customers question where to buy in St. Thomas. However, we had to pay a hefty duty fee on the ring. No one on the Summit could give us correct info on what the fee might be and we were not prepared for the fact that the fee has to be paid in cash or by personal check only. The agent ended up giving us a promissory note to pay as soon as we got home-they take no credit cards.

I was in fine jewelry store management for many years, and I will tell you that if you are looking for a D color IF (internally flawless) diamond, you will pay as much for it in the Caribbean as you would in any fine jewelry store here in the States. The island jewelers cater to people looking for an SI or lower diamond, maybe in the color range of H,I,J. They also use the gimmic of being able to "trade up your stone, diamond tennis bracelet, etc., for a bigger and better one in future years, and you will get the full value of what you originally paid. These are also people that tend to come from smaller towns or cities that don't have access to independent higher end jewelers. And I am not talking about mall jewelry stores like Kays or Zales, etc., either. Also, the person on the ship that does the port talks, and gives info. on jewelry purchasing on the islands, tends to build the hipe of purchasing a piece of jewelry from X,Y,Z jewelers on whatever particular island the ship is docking.

As previously stated by a previous OP, you are certainly not buying a 3 ct. diamond for $1,200 that has any value. For that kind of money you are getting an I(included) diamond, poor cut ratio, and not a good color. Remember the old saying: "you get what you pay for".

Jewelry and stones have no given retail price, everyone can charge whatever they want, and discount whatever they want. My feeling is that if you see a beautiful or unique piece of mounted jewelry (such as something in an H.Stern store on the islands), buy it just because you love it, not for the fact that you think you are, or are not getting a "bargain". I will say however, there are times when stores in the Caribbean get something new that hasn't even arrived here in the States. An example of this would be large, very fine quality Tanzanite (the very deep purple/blue color). At the time is was selling for $500.00 ct. The high quality Tanzanite in large stones wasn't even available here in the States. We are going back probably 12 years ago. To this day you will see more large stone, high end Tanzanite in the islands, than at any store here in the States (even though it now is about $1,000.00 ct.

The only thing in the jewelry business that has a given retail are watches. If you price out the cost of a watch at home, then you will have something to go by, when you check prices on the islands. The big bargains are the high end watches, not the medium or low priced watches. Also, certain high end brands such as Rolex are only discounted a couple of hundred dollars, on the islands. This is due to the fact that if you are a certified Rolex dealer, they will take away your certification for selling them if you are caught discounting. If you find high end watches with a serious discount here in the states, or on the islands, you can bet that you are buying a gray market watch. This means someone is buying the watches from a certified seller of the particular brand, and they are reselling them at a discount. You are still buying a real watch of the particular brand, but it usually voids the factory service warranty on the watch. This is why you should always buy from a certified dealer.

Hope this helps.

Archived