HAL Mariner Society & Home lines

Infi

Does HAL's Mariner Society recognize cruises taken on Home lines (HAL bought out Home lines in the late 1980s)? If so, do you need to "prove" these cruises with documentation?

Just curious, as Princess has a similar situation when they bought out Sitmar, and they recognize cruises sailed aboard that line for Captain's Circle.

I suspect it will be challenging to find anyone at HAL or Princess who has heard of Home line or Sitmar.

Both of these acquisitions occured before being acquired by CCL.

Indeed. Most employees haven't been around anywhere near that long. But when I called Princess CC for Sitmar cruises, the rep knew about the connection and was more than willing to award the cruises I presented. I think I will take the suggestion to email HAL directly. Thanks for that idea. :)

Glad to hear someone who remembers Home Lines. No cruise line, IMHO, even comes close to what Home Lines was, esp. the Oceanic.

Hear, hear! I agree completely. There will never be another Home lines...glad there are others still out there who remember them fondly - I know I do. Me, I miss the Doric most of all.

Indeed. Most employees haven't been around anywhere near that long. But when I called Princess CC for Sitmar cruises, the rep knew about the connection and was more than willing to award the cruises I presented. I think I will take the suggestion to email HAL directly. Thanks for that idea. :)

Hear, hear! I agree completely. There will never be another Home lines...glad there are others still out there who remember them fondly - I know I do. Me, I miss the Doric most of all.

We had several trips on Sitmar, and Princess gave us credit for all of them when we made our first Princess cruise after they bought Sitmar.

How great would it be if someone were able to recreate the Home Lines

experience - all Italian staff, fixed dining for all three meals with silver service, reserved deck chairs, etc.

Those were the days................ but in today's market I think most of us

will agree that HAL generally comes the closest to that style of personal service (obviously not Italian of course).:)

Same ole story......the new generation of cruisers preferred the economies of scale ( cheaper cruising experiences on modern ships) associated with larger and newer ships, much the same deal that put HAL on the brink of bankruptcy, prior to their acquisition by CCL.

According to this, HAL did indeed acquire Home Lines and two ships in 1988:

http://www.cybercruises.com/costaeuropa.htm

OK Hammybee, I stand corrected.

We sailed Westerdam 9-97, Montreal to NYC, and had a very enjoyable cruise. Off the coast of Nova Scotia, in fairly choppy seas, the Canadian Coast Guard performed a helicopter evacuation of an ill passenger. Those are always fascinating to watch.

The stretch-job was very well done, and it did not confuse the traffic flow, as opposed to the stretch-job on NCL's Windward and Dreamward, which left very disrupted traffic flows.

I thought the Westerdam was a very nice ship, and was sorry to see her leave the fleet.

In preparation for the delivery of the new Atlantic in 1982, the Doric was sold to Royal Cruise Line, becoming their Royal Odyssey. When delivered in April 1982, the Atlantic took over the New York—Bahama cruise service. Another new ship, the second Homeric, was ordered for delivery in 1986, and in preparation for that the Oceanic was sold to Premier Cruise Line in 1985, becoming their Starship Oceanic. Home Lines continued operating until 1988, when the company was purchased by Holland America Line and its operation merged into those of Holland America. The Atlantic was sold to Premier Cruise Line, becoming Starship Atlantic, while the Homeric became HAL's Westerdam.

Ship+Photo+Homeric.jpg

Home Lines' Homeric

Ship+Photo+WESTERDAM.jpg

HAL's Westerdam

Ship+Photo+Costa+Europa.jpg

Costa's Costa Europa

My memory is probably foggy on this, but I don't believe HAL bought Home Lines, when they folded their tent.

They bought one of their ships, which became Westerdam.

According to Cruise Reviews Sept. 2004, 'Holland America ultimately acquired Home Lines in 1988 because the company needed to expand its fleet- and buying an existing one was faster and cheaper than building new ships'.

Oceanic indeed was marketed as 'The Big Red Boat' with Premier Cruises.

As far as I can make out, Homeric, [one of the first ships with a retactable glass roof over a swimming pool], was the only ship to be retained Homeric. Atlantic also went to Premier, while Homeric/Westerdam went to Costa later, to be renamed CostaEuropa.

john

John,

Great pics! I don't think I'd ever seen a photo of the Westerdam in Holland America colors prior to her stretching before!

We only sailed on her once, but that Theatre was SO wonderful! Reclining leather seats that were SO comfortable. I understand that that Theatre is no more - the area was refitted to be Veranda staterooms when she became the Costa Europa.

John,

Great pics! I don't think I'd ever seen a photo of the Westerdam in Holland America colors prior to her stretching before!

We only sailed on her once, but that Theatre was SO wonderful! Reclining leather seats that were SO comfortable. I understand that that Theatre is no more - the area was refitted to be Veranda staterooms when she became the Costa Europa.

If you talk to some of Westerdam II's former crew members, they'll tell you she was haunted:eek:

Ship+Photo+WESTERDAM+%281986%29.jpg

Ship+Photo+WESTERDAM.jpg

You can see from my sig. that I sailed four times on Home Lines. Oceanic was the first ship with retractable dome, and is still sailing in the Med. for Pullmantur. My first cruise was on the original Homeric, and though I was enchanted, and thought it a great experience, I did have a tiny single cabin with sink, bathroom and showers down the hall...I'm hazy on the fixed dining at breakfast...I think the times mayhave been fixed, not sure about the seating...No way could I prove those cruises, but to me, they are priceless.

EM

You can see from my sig. that I sailed four times on Home Lines. Oceanic was the first ship with retractable dome, and is still sailing in the Med. for Pullmantur. My first cruise was on the original Homeric, and though I was enchanted, and thought it a great experience, I did have a tiny single cabin with sink, bathroom and showers down the hall...I'm hazy on the fixed dining at breakfast...I think the times mayhave been fixed, not sure about the seating...No way could I prove those cruises, but to me, they are priceless.

EM

As I recall the dining times were fixed on Homeric One. Did they still serve free wine at lunch and dinner in the '70's?

john

Loved Home Lines. So superior to the lines sailing today regarding dining and service. You ate every meal at your table and you dressed appropriately every evening with jacket and tie or you didn't get into the dining room. On formal nights I don't remember any men without a tux. Tableside cooking was everywhere.

Not meaning to offend anyone but we had also sailed HAL and considered them "Mickey Mouse", not the Disney Line when compared to Home Lines. Today HAL is as good as the other popular lines.

Sailed on the HAL Westerdam inaugural (mainly because we wanted to sail the new Homeric) and it wasn't good at all. They weren't ready to take over the ship but I guess that's part of any first sailing.

There really is no comparison between Home Lines and today's basic cruise lines. Haven't done Silversea, Seabourn or the other premium lines so I can't comment on them.

Archived