what happens when all there is left are accessable cabins?

beyoung

I was thinking of switching our SY cabin to an SC but there is only an accessable cabin left and I would not want to take that from someone who needed it. If I book that and someone needs it will they have to give me another SC or higher? I don't want to pay more and then get bumped back down but it is not letting me click on a gaurentee and I would hate to take a handicap cabin if I don't need one especially if someone else did.

thanks

How far out are you looking to book? If final payment date has come and gone, and the accessible cabin is still available, then most people would have no problem with an able-bodied person taking it.

But before that, then I agree it would be wrong to take an accessible cabin out of inventory when you don't need the adapted facilities.

No, once the cabin is booked, HAL will not move you if a disabled person needs the cabin.

we are sailing in July, so final payment is not until April when I try to switch it to a gaurentee insteed of the one open cabin it won't let me. I would like to move up to the superior level but have a moral dilemma as I don't want to take it from someone who could use it. I am going to call HAL and see if they will just let me do the gaurentee as I would feel terrible if someone needed it and I took it.

I can swing moving from the sy to the sc for the 3400.00 more but my husband would pitch a fit if I moved to the sa which is 5800 more. Maybe I should just stay put with what I have. 3400 is almost an additional cruise. the ss catagories are actually now 100 less than I am paying but they all look like they are under loud places.

I talked with my husband and he agrees it is just not right so for now we will just keep our sy. Maybe after final payment we can move but it is a big price jump as well so we are probably better off spending it on excursions.

Yes that is a wise decision. We are leaving on a cruise this Saturday. Three weeks ago my husband had an injury, was in a wheelchair. All the handicap cabins were booked. I don't think they go back and see who is really handicapped. The doorway to a regular cabin is two inches too narrow for a wheelchair. They put us on a list. Lucky for us, he is recovered because our travel agent called HAL this Monday to say we are okay now with our cabin and they said it was very improbable that we would have gotten a handicap cabin. Had he needed it after all, he wouldn't have been able to make the trip.

So for all you folks that may want the handicap one for other reasons, please don't.

To the poster, thank you for doing the right thing.

wow that is a shame I would think they would need some type of proof- anyhow we are staying put for now-it is a big chunk of change to move and I would never forgive myself if I saw someone on the ship with a walker or something and wondered if I took their cabin.

In a perfect world, I think it would be great if cruiselines offered handicap cabins by request only, and didn't even release them to the public until after final payment date. Perhaps it's too much of an administrative hassle, but the problem of use by the able-bodied would be solved.

Often large cruise agencies have blocks of cabins on hold, and if they are not booked by final payment date, they get tossed back into the pool. So the cabin category you are thinking about might become available then. Keep watching! EM

2 weeks before Noordam cruise -coming up-was offered as an upsell-$163 Candadinian-cabin 6003-a handicapped verandeh-grapped it-I guess they hadn't sold it.we had originally booked a guaranteed obstructed and was upgraded to a unobstructed and then was offered this.I am thrilled-looks like large cabin but would never book one myself as luckily do not need handicapped.

Archived