Gift for stewards on Alaskan Cruise?

We're on the NCL Pearl 5/31 to Alaska. When we did the Mediterranean cruise in 2006 (Spain/Italy) we took bags of hershey's chocolate for the cabin stewards on the advice of my Philipina co-worker, who said Philipinos love American chocolate. Our cabin stewards did love the chocolate! Does anyone have advice on what small gift to bring for the cabin stewards on an Alaskan cruise? International calling cards?

Thanks!

Cash, money, dollars - did I mention cash? This is what they really want. I know people think they will be thrilled with (a T-shirt, postcards, candy, momentos from your hometown - fill in the blanks), but the truth is they can buy anything they want or need if you just give them extra cash. Of course, they will "gush" over little whatnots, but they are only being polite.

sounds good. when do you give them the gift? Early in the cruise, when you depart?

The steward we had in the Mediterranean, did seem to appreciate the gift, but perhaps it was partly because we were there, and American chocolate would not have been readily available. She told us she and her friends ate it all in one night, and I had given her 5 bags funsize chocolates!

All I can say is that when I do a good job at work, I'm not really sure how good it would go over at home when I brought home a silly trinket/calling card/chocolate bar from my boss and presented it to my wife.

I'm sure that she would rather see an increase in my revenue stream.

Trinkets are nice but who do they really make feel better? The receiver or the giver?

yes, I understand and agree that cash is best. My question is what is good for the steward? In addition to the standard $10/day per person? Cash is great, and I will probably do that, but the gift of something they like, yet can't readily get, and don't need to send home to families, so is something for the steward themself. I know they are on these ships for months at a time, and much of their income likely sent home. So the chocolate was a small token of appreciation.

yes, I understand and agree that cash is best. My question is what is good for the steward? In addition to the standard $10/day per person?

Not sure what line you are sailing but $10 pp per day does not go to the Steward. That money is split by a small group of people. I believe the Steward gets $3.50 pp per day. If he/she is good at their job, they're probably splitting some of that with some of the "Back of the house" staff who ensure the steward has everything they need to do their job.

What do I give in addition?

Standard service,, an additional $20 to the steward and another $20 to the asst steward for the week.

Exceptional service,,,, goes up

one other thought~and not sure if you agree~~an international calling card (i.e. from Walmart) since most of these people get off the ships at some ports and can call home with them. What do you think?

Once again,,why?

These folks work with 3000 different passengers every week, 52 weeks a year. Let's say 1 person a week gives them a calling card. How many calling cards can they use?

Unless you are a very wise consumer, most people are going to pick up international calling cards that don't even work outside of the States. Most of these cards are for making calls FROM the States to another country. Therefore a waste of time and money from all aspects.

Besides, they have e-mail options.

Give them cash.

If they want to call home from Mexico, they know where to get calling cards themselves.

Archived