Virgin Australia Launch Day

SelectSys

Delayed for at least several months due to delivery delays of their aircraft stemming from the Boeing strike, VAustralia is finally in the sky and has completed a flight!

Let's all wish them well. I hope this ups the competition both in terms of price and service between the west coast of the US and Australia.

UA has been responding to the recent DL service from LAX to SYD. Fares all-in of under $900 for the southern "winter" season.

I missed this announcement. I guess service starts in July. Even more choices for cruise passengers and travelers in general! It will be interesting to see who survives.

Virgin Australia
Technically and pedantically, this is not Virgin Australia at all but "V Australia". Although Branson has, as usual, been happy to lend himself and his antics to publicising the airline, there is obviously a solid business decision at Virgin headquarters to hold Virgin Blue strictly to the terms of its licence to use the Virgin brand - strictly on domestic Australian routes only, and not on trans-Tasman, domestic New Zealand, South Pacific or (now) trans-Pacific routes. Personally, I'm not sure about the reasoning, but the Virgin branding/licensing people must have their reasons. Whether Virgin might relent later if V Australia turns out to be a real hit, we'll have to see.

Technically and pedantically, this is not Virgin Australia at all but "V Australia". Although Branson has, as usual, been happy to lend himself and his antics to publicising the airline, there is obviously a solid business decision at Virgin headquarters to hold Virgin Blue strictly to the terms of its licence to use the Virgin brand - strictly on domestic Australian routes only, and not on trans-Tasman, domestic New Zealand, South Pacific or (now) trans-Pacific routes. Personally, I'm not sure about the reasoning, but the Virgin branding/licensing people must have their reasons. Whether Virgin might relent later if V Australia turns out to be a real hit, we'll have to see.

Virgin Atlantic are advertising an atw east or west special with Virgin Atlantic and V Australia ($2499 Aus. inc taxes), so they are working together.

I think that Virgin Atlantic also works together with "Pacific Blue" and "Polynesian Blue", despite the fact that these brands only exist because Virgin will not license Virgin Blue to use the "Virgin" brand outside Australia.

Archived