RCCL Pricing

Appgrad

Rising Prices?

I have cruised on RCI for the past three years, same week and have had the same price for the same cabin type, in fact same cabin number also for all three years? Where is the price increases? Also, booked again for next year, same price.

As for the $1100 PP for Thanksgiving week this year, when did you look at the price?

I think it would be wrong to believe every cruise from Rcl has gone way up in price compared to last year. So many variables, time of year, destination, competition, open cabins etc.

In Jan, Carnival will implement the same price restrictions as did RCCL, so expect Princess and Carnival prices to stabilize as well.

As I understand it, Carnival does not require all the lines under it's corporate holding company to follow lock step with each other as RCI and Celebrity do. From what I've read, Carnival is the only line that will impliment this policy. Princess and all other lines will continue to do business as usual.

We just booked our third NCL cruise for next year, as that line is also implimenting the no discounting policy on 1/17/05.

We LOVE RCI but I just can't justify the prices. We can cruise on brand new NCL ships in balcony cabins for half the cost of Royal Caribbean. Plus they have new and varied intineraries and I am looking forward to "freestyle" again.

NCL is going to have to be pretty darn horrible to to make me wish I had spent thousands of dollars more to cruise on RCI.

Honeymoon is over.

OT I know, but imporant to me:

xpcdoojk:

$35,000 will not under any circumstances put you above the median in California (and other states too probably). Please keep in mind that teachers do not get paid when they are not working. The summer months are not paid time off, and has been noted, all teachers are required to take continuing education every year (which they pay for BTW). Almost every teacher I know uses personal money to pay for classroom supplies (which they are no longer allowed to write off their taxes). Plus teachers are required to attend and chaperone school events, which they do not get paid overtime to do.

I think it is rude and wrong to state that "no one put a gun to" their heads. For many teachers it is a calling, and you had better be thankful for that--do you want a well-educated population or not? Do have any idea how many people don't teach because they know teachers are often underpaid (IMO always--I think good teachers should make 6 figures as a minimum; teaching our children is slightly more important to me than watching someone play basketball) and usually get very little respect? Teachers are not even allowed to discipline (I do not mean corporal punishment, just keeping discipline in the classroom) and often when a teacher tries to take care of behavior or learning problems, the parents go to the principal or school board and complain that the teacher is "picking on my kid."

Not much incentive to be a teacher these days. The pay has never been great, but at least teachers used to be able to count on respect; now they rarely get that. If you are well-educated with a good job, you should be thankful that you had teachers to help you get there, instead of bashing them--because that is exactly what it sounds like you are doing.

Lastly, if you think that teachers only work the hours they are at school, you have never lived with a teacher. Let's see, up at 6 am, off to school at 6:45 or 7, teach until 3 pm or so, after school staff or other meetings many days until 5 or so, home around 6, and then 2-4 hours of grading papers and preparing lesson plans. Think teaching is an easy job? You should try it sometime.

Okay off my OT soapbox.

beachchick

As I understand it, Carnival does not require all the lines under it's corporate holding company to follow lock step with each other as RCI and Celebrity do. From what I've read, Carnival is the only line that will impliment this policy. Princess and all other lines will continue to do business as usual.

Not only is Carnival the only line within Carnival Corp. that is implementing the policy, but the policy only affects advertised pricing. Agencies will still be able to offer reduced pricing; they just won't be able to advertise the lower prices. Also, NCL is going with a similar policy to Carnival's starting January 17.

Rich

Carefree Vacations

Does anyone have up-to-date load-level information? From what I can distill from messages posted, RCI's load-levels are still high as compared to industry-average, so until they come back down, there is no rationale for moderating prices or policies.

OT I know, but imporant to me:

xpcdoojk:

$35,000 will not under any circumstances put you above the median in California (and other states too probably). Please keep in mind that teachers do not get paid when they are not working. The summer months are not paid time off, and has been noted, all teachers are required to take continuing education every year (which they pay for BTW). Almost every teacher I know uses personal money to pay for classroom supplies (which they are no longer allowed to write off their taxes). Plus teachers are required to attend and chaperone school events, which they do not get paid overtime to do.

I think it is rude and wrong to state that "no one put a gun to" their heads. For many teachers it is a calling, and you had better be thankful for that--do you want a well-educated population or not? Do have any idea how many people don't teach because they know teachers are often underpaid (IMO always--I think good teachers should make 6 figures as a minimum; teaching our children is slightly more important to me than watching someone play basketball) and usually get very little respect? Teachers are not even allowed to discipline (I do not mean corporal punishment, just keeping discipline in the classroom) and often when a teacher tries to take care of behavior or learning problems, the parents go to the principal or school board and complain that the teacher is "picking on my kid."

Not much incentive to be a teacher these days. The pay has never been great, but at least teachers used to be able to count on respect; now they rarely get that. If you are well-educated with a good job, you should be thankful that you had teachers to help you get there, instead of bashing them--because that is exactly what it sounds like you are doing.

Lastly, if you think that teachers only work the hours they are at school, you have never lived with a teacher. Let's see, up at 6 am, off to school at 6:45 or 7, teach until 3 pm or so, after school staff or other meetings many days until 5 or so, home around 6, and then 2-4 hours of grading papers and preparing lesson plans. Think teaching is an easy job? You should try it sometime.

Okay off my OT soapbox.

beachchick

I am shocked that more of you haven't whacked me about this defending the "noble teacher". Don't get me wrong. I have complete respect for anyone's job. If you work hard, you have my respect. I used the 35k number because another poster used it as the typical starting wage as a teacher. Since the OP has two full time teachers on board the number would be 70k for the family. Which if you will follow the link provided is above the median income even in California. I am, also, pretty sure that teachers in San Francisco make more money than in Little Rock Arkansas therefore the 35K number is probably low for that market. While many teachers no doubt had a calling to teach, many others did it because they wanted a job that had a lot of time off, or just wanted a job, and that career path appealed to them. In other words not all were called from heaven, but chose for other reasons to become teachers.

There were many teachers in my life that were indeed angels, but there were, also, teachers that put in their time, and were way past burnt out and were past providing a good example for the students.

jc

JMHO and YMMV:D

We have always booked a JS cabin in the past, but with the no discount policy of RCCL now we are not able to cruise twice a year with them. We will have to cruise with with Carnival or Princess who allows discounting. For a example, in June 2003 we booked a JS cabin on the Navigator for $3200.00. In February 2004 we booked a JS cabin for $2500.00. In October 2004 we booked a JS cabin on the Navigator for 2370.00. We tried to book a JS cabin for July 2005 and the price is $4900.00 on the Adventure. Before the no discount policy went into effect the same JS cabin was $3300.00 which I would not have a problem booking today. We are one cruise away from being a diamond member and we will not become one until RCCL changes the disconting policy.

I love people who fail to read! The lack of discounting is not necessarily the cause of the higher pricing. Demand is way the heck up because RCI provides a superior product as reflected by the prices that are determined by the market. If you feel that it is not a superior product for you, you should take advantage of the market oppurtunity offered by your perceived superior product. Good luck.:rolleyes: :D

jc

On my credit card.
Sorry, I have nothing constructive to add. Just that I thought that this was hilarious :D

Just in case anyone takes this the wrong way (although I don't see how they could), I'm laughing purely at the reply and not the increased price he/she has to pay.

Bicker:

From RCI's latest SEC filing (10/21/04):

Looking forward to the 2005 booking environment, demand for products of Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises remains strong. Through its strategic pricing approach, the company continues to generate early demand for its products, resulting in load factors that are ahead of the same time last year. While the company does not have enough visibility to provide specific yield guidance for 2005, demand remains stronger than at the same time last year and early indications point to a positive yield environment.
Occupancy reached 109.0%, up from 107.7% in the third quarter of 2003, which approaches levels achieved in 2000 of 109.7%.
The company also reported that advanced booking volumes continue to be encouraging. Both pricing and load factors for the fourth quarter of 2004 are ahead of the same time last year. Accordingly, the company forecasts that Net Yields for the fourth quarter of 2004 will increase in the range of 4% to 5%, compared to the same period last year. As a result, the company expects Net Yields for the full year 2004 to increase approximately 9% from the prior year.
“Clearly we’re doing something right,” said Richard D. Fain, chairman and chief executive officer. “The improvement in the market and in the position of our brands is very gratifying.”

I also think teachers work hard for what they get paid, but cummon they do have alot of time off.

My next door neighbors are both teachers, I leave before they leave in the morning and get home after they have been home for at least 1 hour. They travel all summer and normally go to florida during Christmas break, live in a $200,000 house and drive New Automobiles.

I also try to cruise twice a year family of 4 we go once in Feb. great rates then once the first week of june as soon as school is out normally the prices are better.

P.S. They have time during the day to grade papers and do lesson planning.

Just my .02 worth.

I am shocked that more of you haven't whacked me about this defending the "noble teacher". Don't get me wrong. I have complete respect for anyone's job. If you work hard, you have my respect. I used the 35k number because another poster used it as the typical starting wage as a teacher.

jc

JMHO and YMMV:D

Remember starting teachers don't remain starting teachers. Top step in my town, which is reached within ten years of work, is presently 60K plus benefits. And that is about as far as I am going to go with this debate!

Remember starting teachers don't remain starting teachers. Top step in my town, which is reached within ten years of work, is presently 60K plus benefits. And that is about as far as I am going to go with this debate!

Thanks, OB, I knew you had my back!:p :D :D :D

jc

Plus, what other profession can you name where, once you reach that thing called "tenure", you're guaranteed a job regardless of how poorly you do it?? And to say that some teachers "only" make $21 an hour - my staff of customer service reps. who work 8am-5PM 5 days a week and 8am-12:30pm each Saturday start at $11.42 an hour. This includes men who are supporting families as well as single mothers trying to make ends meet. They don't have contracts, and regardless of how long they work here they can be fired if they screw up or do their jobs poorly.

Not trying to trash teachers (my sister is a special education teacher), it's a noble profession. However, it irks me when I hear people make comments about not getting paid during the summer. You're getting a YEARLY salary - while you may not be phsyically handed a paycheck during the summer, you've already been paid on a full year basis. It may be difficult for the school board to find you in the summer, unless they comb the beaches of Florida.

If you think teaching is so great all is takes is four years to get on the gravy train. What are you waiting for !

Actually, I have many more than four years accumulated, but I would still not be qualified to be a teacher, even though I taught at the university level. :p

jc

Let’s talk about teachers. I’ll give you my perspective as a (long-ago) student in a very, very affluent town. Our teachers had to somehow cram our heads full of knowledge about history, science, languages, English lit, etc. while subject to rich whiny brats whose parents would threaten the teacher’s AND the principal’s job if the teacher so much as hinted that Little Johnny had copied off the exam next to him (which of course he had). Try to discipline? HA! That would be the end of your career. Yet they managed to instill in many of us a lifetime love of learning and expanding our horizons.

Sure, there are bad teachers, just as there are bad doctors, lawyers and Indian chiefs in this world. But to categorize an entire profession as “having it easy” is offensive to me and to anybody who teaches or has learned from incredibly gifted and dedicated individuals. Almost every teacher I had has left a lasting impression on me, to the extent that most of them were invited to my wedding, which took place when I was 41 years old. I can only dream of making that kind of impression on a young child.

I hope everybody has a happy Thanksgiving

Its really sad when mature individuals (maybe), have to resort to tallking about the cost of their neighbors home or how many automobiles. Next I guess we will talk about other professions like the fireman who "sits around" all day and doesn't deserve their salary. The OP stated they can only cruise certain months, that was followed by "I dont feel sorry for you", I dont think they were asking for money or sympathy. Is it jealousy? Is it one's displeasure with their job? In Ca., the classrooms have increased, the supplies have decreased, and the teachers have not had a pay increase in 5 years-Have you had one?

Lets try to get back on topic. What I have noticed on all lines whether they rebate or not prices are up by 1/3(about) over last year. I cruise I took last may was announced and its for the exact same room iternary everything 60% more! The only reason(IMO) that the announced anti-discounting rules are taking hold is that so many people are curising prices are up-significantly this is true even though more capacity is coming on line.

PS I never thought of HAL as premium. As to what other people make or do, its both rude to ask how much a person makes AND how much they paid for a cruise(IMO)

Ok, but the bottom line is that RCI is not at fault that the only time teachers have to travel is the highest priced/ high demand season ( summer). Hey, our cruise to Bermuda in July '01 from NYC cost more than out 10 day cruise to Hawaii this past Christmas (and airfare was included)!:eek:

It is not that pricing has increased all that much as much as the big discounting is gone. On our trip to Alaska our agent got a price for us that was outrageously low. No matter who we talked to on the cruise no one had a price so good. So does that mean the prices were different? NO it was the discount we got. The company we used had a high volume discount.

Archived