RCCL Pricing

Appgrad

I think you would be hard pressed to find very many people who do not complain about many aspects of their jobs, including salary. When's the last time you heard anyone say "Iam overpaid". I agree, you have to enjoy and take satisfaction in what you do regardless of salary or find something else. Just like when Babe Ruth was asked how he feels about making more than the President, " yes but I had a better year". Can anyone explain how taxi drivers in Las Vegas make more than teachers- no- that's just the way it is, but not to many teachers want to drive taxis.

I take it your wife's not an English teacher.

Wow! I think I can see why RCI might be able to charge a little more for some of their cruises. Last May we booked a 12 night Med cruise on Brilliance for Oct. 15th of 2005. That's well over a year in advance. Today, I thought I'd check to see what was still available and all the balcony cabins short of being a full fledged suite seems to be sold out! There are inside cabins, ocean view cabins and suites (not JS's) available but nothing else. That's a lot of cabins sold on this cruise all ready and there's 322 days left to sell the rest. I'm glad we decided to go and booked early.

When we were looking at cabins last week for Enchanment in Dec of 2005, I thought they just hadn't released some of the cabins. Maybe the reason there was so few to choose from is they've sold that many already for a Dec. 1st. cruise?

Wow! You leave for a few days and look what happens!

I wasn't meaning to complain about my husband's salary. Yes, he did choose to be a teacher. He is an excellent teacher and loves what he does. I work in the corporate world, make a lot more and am not as happy. Go figure. (Before you say it, yes I could quit and get another job.)

My original point was that RCCL's promenade rooms are the EXACT same price as a balcony on HAL. Yes, there will be old people and less night life. However, I will get a balcony cabin for the first time.

I am just suprised that RCCL is so much more expensive than HAL.

There was one thing that I thought was a little out of hand on this thread.... Yes, my husband did decide to be a teacher. However, when he was 20 and made this decision, he did not think, "If I become a teacher, I will only be off when the kids are off and cruises will be more expensive." Who in the world would think of that when they are in college?!?!

My original point was that RCCL's promenade rooms are the EXACT same price as a balcony on HAL. Yes, there will be old people and less night life. However, I will get a balcony cabin for the first time.

I am just suprised that RCCL is so much more expensive than HAL.

There was one thing that I thought was a little out of hand on this thread.... Yes, my husband did decide to be a teacher. However, when he was 20 and made this decision, he did not think, "If I become a teacher, I will only be off when the kids are off and cruises will be more expensive." Who in the world would think of that when they are in college?!?!

You are right about that when we are 20 we rarely think about anything except getting thru our next test or if the co-ed in our class is thinking about us. :D

My only point was that choices are made and complaining about the consequences makes no sense. Everyone, should take stock in their lives, however, and if there are things making them unhappy in their situations consider whether there are alternatives that don't endanger the family, etc. :cool: Nobody has to have a single career anymore. My wife, has had about 6 careers now after almost 24 years of marriage. Each one has been better in some ways and not as good in others, nothing is ever perfect, but everyone should explore options, and not just accept that they are stuck. JMHO and YMMV!:cool:

HAL, BTW, is marketing their new bigger ships more towards young people and families. The older smaller ships are still geared almost exclusively towards older adults. Remember with HAL the shows will probably not be as good. They certainly won't have rock walls and ice skating. Finding a game of basketball on the ship is going to be difficult at best. If these things and dancing in a big group of people in the disco are not important to you, HAL may be a perfect fit. I would imagine on the smaller HAL ships that they might not be quite as price sensitive to school vacation schedules, but I don't know that. For me, BTW, a balcony is just not important at all. The ship and the itinerary are what I care about. The itinerary is clearly the most important thing for me, and I look for the best value, by factoring the price, what I like and don't like, etc. In other words I try to make a rational decision about an emotional concept like the perfect vacation.:cool:

jc

Wow, what a conversation so far--- hey, I'm a college student preparing to be a teacher. Starting salaries around here are around 25,000-- and it takes quite a bit longer to get up into the higher numbers. You don't become a teacher for the money.... you become a teacher because you care about the future of your children, and their children, etc-- and the future of the country you live in. Bashing teachers and saying they have it easy is pretty low. Not one person of all the students in the college of education here at my university that I have talked to are going in the profession simply for a couple months off in the Summer. That aspect certainly didn't even cross my mind. But I guess to all non-teachers-- that's probably what you think of it. Wow, didn't know I was getting into such an "easy" profession. Why hasn't somebody told me it was going to be SO EASY!?? (much sarcasm)

Sigh. "Do the math..." Well of course I understand the math. I'm a homeowner; I pay taxes just like everyone else. You say "I don't have kids." Fine, but don't you think it might be a good idea to have a well-educated society? Those kids learning in school today will be supporting our country and making it either better or worse. Isn't it likely that educated people might make the country better, not worse? Did you go to public school? Whom do you think paid for it (hint: many of those people didn't have kids in school either)?

As for any other public/government occupation that "guilts" us into paying them more...um, how about politicians, police officers, firefighters, prison guards, and the military? Now I'm not saying these professions don't deserve excellent pay and benefits. They do, as do teachers. The fact is that we do not want to have higher taxes (me included). It might better to ask how the taxes we do pay could be better used to increase pay/benefits for these necessary and critical professions. I would like to see the "pork barrel buffet" closed down and those billions of dollars used to benefit the public employees that can make or break our society. I'd think it would be wise to try to attract the best and brightest to these and similar professions. We simply need to adjust our priorities, IMO.

beachchick

Very few teachers get 2-3 months in a row off. Most of us are required to do different types of continuing ed during that time. Bad stereotype.

I apologize but I can not feel too much sympathy (even though I have relatives and friends who are teachers and I do understand you provide a wonderful service to the children you serve). I am a CPA, work 12 months a year and am expected to take my continuing education/ masters classes on my own time that does not leave much time for one vacation with my wife and children! It is difficult to see teachers enjoying long vacations or working jobs over the summer that others would consider hobbies while writing a check for $8,700 in school taxes every year (on top of the 1% wage tax, half of which goes to the school district)! Everyone chooses their career and must accept the good and the bad.

I apologize but I can not feel too much sympathy (even though I have relatives and friends who are teachers and I do understand you provide a wonderful service to the children you serve). I am a CPA, work 12 months a year and am expected to take my continuing education/ masters classes on my own time that does not leave much time for one vacation with my wife and children! It is difficult to see teachers enjoying long vacations or working jobs over the summer that others would consider hobbies while writing a check for $8,700 in school taxes every year (on top of the 1% wage tax, half of which goes to the school district)! Everyone chooses their career and must accept the good and the bad.

Yes, very true.. however, don't think anybody was asking for sympathy... and regardless of what job you have.. no need to bash somebody's profession. Obviously everybody chooses their career and accepts the good and the bad.. but I think the point is... no need to make it sound like teachers have it easy because until you are in the shoes of anybody regardless of profession.. you don't know what it is like.... that's my two cents :)

Okay, I have to put in my part...

I'm not sure who it was, but on one of the posts here someone compared teachers to trash collectors! Come on!! Since when do trash collectors put themselves in a room with 30 children for 6 hours a day, try to teach them what they need to, try to encourage each one of them, try to teach them right from wrong, etc.? IMO (and I work for an elementary school), school has become nothing more than a glorified daycare for many parents these days (Not all parents by any means). Parents don't care to hear what you have to say about how your child is doing just so long as Johnny and/or Suzy have a place to go everyday. So what if he or she brought a knife to school or if they are failing a grade or do not turn in any homework...etc. Teachers, faculty, and staff really do need what LITTLE time off they get during the summer! Believe me the older we get the faster the time goes by. It really does seem like one school year ended and just a week later the new year is beginning.

Okay, reading back on this I can see that I went on and on. However, I hope I got my point accross. And that is that teachers are truly the most overworked and underpaid profession.

Okay, reading back on this I can see that I went on and on. However, I hope I got my point accross. And that is that teachers are truly the most overworked and underpaid profession.

And that is exactly the type of statement that will get people fired up about this all over again.....

• 3 months later...
Nope, you don't get to tell me what to do either....:rolleyes:

Well at least you have found a roll for yourself, pointless though it is. :rolleyes:

jc

You don't mind if we get back on topic do you? good..............

What advantages is there to book RCL if indeed a comparable HAL cruise is $300 - $500.00 less expensive?

BD

Does Filet Mignon cost more than chuck steak....

Book with the company that provides what you perceive to be the best value for you. Some people do not like Foi Gras, but it is much more expensive than chicken livers, and yet some people order Foi Gras.... got it. It is called no one is forcing anyone to pick any cruise or cruiseline.

jc

I saw Spamalot recently, I am thinking the expression Bring out your dead should be changed to Stir some more poop..... You really need to work on it as so far it is pretty weak, BD.

Well at least you have found a roll for yourself, pointless though it is.

Aren't most rolls pointless? They seem pretty much round to me. I guess hoagie buns taper down a bit at the ends, and croissants have a bit of a point to them, if you consider them rolls . . .

Just trying to break the tension a bit. :D

Does Filet Mignon cost more than chuck steak....

Book with the company that provides what you perceive to be the best value for you. Some people do not like Foi Gras, but it is much more expensive than chicken livers, and yet some people order Foi Gras.... got it. It is called no one is forcing anyone to pick any cruise or cruiseline.

jc

I saw Spamalot recently, I am thinking the expression Bring out your dead should be changed to Stir some more poop..... You really need to work on it as so far it is pretty weak, BD.

Ok let's get this straight.......

If I can read between the lines your're perceived best value is paying the extra $$$ for Ranch steak. I'm extremely happy for you.

Now back to your afternoon bingo game where you can bully your way through the masses.

Buddy, it would be nice if you left these old dead horses to rot away in peace. How about a little suggestion, try to think up an original topic. You may even get some of that much needed attention you appear to be starving for. :confused:

Stretch :D

Stretch,

No offense at all but I think that call would go to the entire CC membership and not just the words of a few.

You know that they are going to be rehashed anyway down the road so what's the problem with extending the life of an older thread and gaining some new momentum?

Buddy

Stretch,

No offense at all but I think that call would go to the entire CC membership and not just the words of a few.

You know that they are going to be rehashed anyway down the road so what's the problem with extending the life of an older thread and gaining some new momentum?

Buddy

Because the only momentum it's likely to gain, will be when the thread gets hijacked into a completely different direction, just like this one did. Don't you think you would get better response if you just started a new thread with a totally different topic?

Stretch

Archived