Cancelling cruise when finding out it had novo-virus

poolwife

Does anyone know if when you get to the dock to embark for your cruise and you find out that the ship was infected with the novo-virus whether you can cancel and not get on board and get a refund. A friend I was talking to this evening was down in San Diego yesterday and met someone who just got off the Oosterdam yesterday (Saturday) morning and told my friend about the virus and she wondered if you can cancel at the last minute and get a refund due to not wanting to get this virus.

Anyone out there know this or have any experience in this department?

Thanks.

Does anyone know if when you get to the dock to embark for your cruise and you find out that the ship was infected with the novo-virus whether you can cancel and not get on board and get a refund. A friend I was talking to this evening was down in San Diego yesterday and met someone who just got off the Oosterdam yesterday (Saturday) morning and told my friend about the virus and she wondered if you can cancel at the last minute and get a refund due to not wanting to get this virus.

Anyone out there know this or have any experience in this department?

Thanks.

At times, cruise lines have offered that option as a result of a Norovirus outbreak onboard, but it is not a given

The answer is yes, if it is offered by the ship.

Embarking passngers for the Oosterdam on 2/28 were given that option.

If they decided to cancel their cruise, their choices were to book another date, receive a credit for a future cruise, or a refund.

It was all outlined in a letter given to each embarking passenger before they checked in.

It's nice to know that the option may be offered, but for us, we'd just take the cruise.

We would probably already be aware of Noro the previous week - thanks to CC. At the port, we've already got the time off work, flown to the port, and probably spent 1 or 2 nights in a hotel. We would just board and be extra cautious. After all, while back in port the ship has already been cleaned top to bottom.

Only once were we offered to not sail on a ship that had the Virus.

We were concerned - especially since I had just been in the hospital the week before and was in a weakened conidition. But having flown across the country we decided to go on the cruise and try to be as cautious as possible.

Other times -- not given the option.

Since the Norovirus is one of the most common viruses, and one that can be picked up just about anywhere, I don't think I would ever consider canceling my vacation plans for fear of catching it. Odds are that there's a better chance of picking up this virus on the plane before ever boarding the ship.

Years ago we were on Veendam in Code Red. We were staying post cruise in Tampa and walked back to the ship later in the afternoon. We saw the letter they were handing out as the arriving cruisers got to the terminal.

It was absolutely truthful in stating there had been a number of Noro like Virus cases on the preceding cruise and anyone who did not want to board would be given a full refund of their fare.

Decent of the cruise lines to offer this. Having said that, if we'd already arrived in port from the Northeast, we would cross our fingers and board.

As I stated in another post, we were on the Noordam last year in Code Red, and we were just extra cautious. And remained Noro-free.

Stock up on Wet Ones before boarding. I read somewhere that Wet Ones are the only antibacterial wipe effective on Norovirus. Last year, I brought Clorox wipes to wipe down the surfaces in our cabin; didn't know about the effectiveness of Wet Ones at that time!

Stock up on Wet Ones before boarding. I read somewhere that Wet Ones are the only antibacterial wipe effective on Norovirus. Last year, I brought Clorox wipes to wipe down the surfaces in our cabin; didn't know about the effectiveness of Wet Ones at that time!

Thanks for this information. I always bring some kind of antibacterial wipes when we travel but now I'll be sure to bring Wet Ones.

When we sailed on the Zuiderdam we boarded the ship after a super sanitizing cleaning. Even though we boarded at 11:30 pm-almost 12 hours late I sprayed every surface with Lysol. Especially the phones, door handles, remotes for the TV and all bathroom surfaces. The ship remained in code red off and on for the next five days. Just be very careful. Washing your hands is the best way to stop noro from spreading. Also keep your hands away from your face after you touch anything. Have a wonderful time either way.

well its flu season still and the season started late, so im sure thats what everyone is getting,

its spreads quick, so anytime you cruise in jan feb or march, you do have a chance of getting the norovirus

out of all of our cruises weve been on , we took 2 in jan and feb and those were the only times we had gotten sick, like stomach issues,

i know it makes you worry about cancelling, but its not worth it, the germs are always going to be there, just take hand sanitizer stuff and some wipes, wipe the room down, like handles , knobs etc and wash your hands alot thats all you can do ..

Noro Virus and flu (Influenza) are very different things. You are correct though there seems to be a lot of flu around right now, especially here in the northeast. I was a little nervous as I found out we were directly exposed to it last Monday :eek: and when I found out the person was really sick with it, I worried a bit. Thankfully, our flu shots seemed to have worked as neither DH or I have (yet) succumbed.

People actually can die from flu. It would be a hugely rare occurence for someone to die from noro like virus.

We were on the Oosterdam last week, and my DW did get sick. One day of quarantined in the cabin, and then she was fine. Not that big of an issue. The Noro Virus is a very, very common, you just don’t hear much about people catching it. Most people don’t realize they have had it. Upset stomach and/or some diarrhea.

The crew did a very good job a sanitizing the ship. A few incontinences, but big deal.

Noro Virus and flu (Influenza) are very different things. You are correct though there seems to be a lot of flu around right now, especially here in the northeast. I was a little nervous as I found out we were directly exposed to it last Monday :eek: and when I found out the person was really sick with it, I worried a bit. Thankfully, our flu shots seemed to have worked as neither DH or I have (yet) succumbed.

People actually can die from flu. It would be a hugely rare occurence for someone to die from noro like virus.

i realize they are different, but what i was meaning was the stomach flu,

its going around bad ,i didnt mean the flu that kills you, type a and b ,

the stomach flu is soo catchy this year for some reason...

i mean its always catchy, but it seems this season i see more and more people getting it who never did, like me on land !!! ERRRRRRR

im glad you didnt get it from the person you were exposed to , i hate that feeling

melissa

To expand on an earlier comment - you can have hands that are covered with "bugs", Noro virus and many others, and you will be fine. It is ONLY when the "bugs" (bacteria and viruses) make it into you mouth that you have to worry. (Exception - airborne illnesses where you can breath the bacteria/viruses in.) So, keep your hands away from your face and always wash them appropriately before using your fingers to put anything into your mouth.

Also, when you know things like Noro virus and flu are around, be extra careful. Even if your hands are truly clean, beware of eating items that were handled by the bare hands of others since cooking. Just some suggestions.

By the way, I would board the ship but be extra careful. 100 passengers out of 2600 is NOT what I would call high risk.

Even with the worst outbreaks, the majority of passengers manage to not acquire it.

I have read ( think on CDC) that blood Type A may be more vulnerable.

Type O actually:

"Recent evidence also suggests that susceptibility to infection may be genetically determined, with people of blood group O being at greatest risk for severe infection."

Type O actually:

"Recent evidence also suggests that susceptibility to infection may be genetically determined, with people of blood group O being at greatest risk for severe infection."

Thanks. I stand corrected.

i realize they are different, but what i was meaning was the stomach flu,

its going around bad ,i didnt mean the flu that kills you, type a and b ,

the stomach flu is soo catchy this year for some reason...

i mean its always catchy, but it seems this season i see more and more people getting it who never did, like me on land !!! ERRRRRRR

im glad you didnt get it from the person you were exposed to , i hate that feeling

melissa

Norovirus and stomach flu have been reported as synonymous terms.

Since the Norovirus is one of the most common viruses, and one that can be picked up just about anywhere, I don't think I would ever consider canceling my vacation plans for fear of catching it. Odds are that there's a better chance of picking up this virus on the plane before ever boarding the ship.

I will echo this. I had the Norovirus right before Christmas. Caught it from someone at work. In a building with 200+, I believe we were the only ones who got it. My coworker caught it first and came to work with a fever. I was in her office before I realized she was sick. I got it 10 days later. None of my other close coworkers got it.

Everyone's experience is different. I had mild GI symptoms but was very achey and fatigued for about 4 days. Not a pleasant way to spend a vacation but if you're careful the chances of getting it are slim or, at least, can be minimized. It runs rampant on cruises when people aren't being careful. My guess is the reason they sometimes give people the option of canceling is because it's a way of fending off bad publicity.

At times, cruise lines have offered that option as a result of a Norovirus outbreak onboard, but it is not a given

Actually John, at this point in time it is HAL Policy to offer the full refund if the ship comes into the port with a high enough count that it is reportable and HAL does the super sanitization

Even with the worst outbreaks, the majority of passengers manage to not acquire it.

I have read ( think on CDC) that blood Type A may be more vulnerable.

I've never heard this myself, but if that's the case then I've lucked out each and every cruise!

The most important thing is to be conscious of YOUR hygeine and to realize that not everyone has the same standards for themselves and their body that you do for yours and to act appropriately when you find yourself in a situation with hundreds of people from all over the country/world from different upbringings.

Archived