Holland America Line Launches New Electronic Cruise Documents

FIRELT5

Still don't like the idea of doing it at the pier!!

Have nearly 100 cruises on various lines -- 50 on HAL -- and have never had to do this.

I am for edocs -- just not liking the idea of doing luggage tags at the pier.

Getting old and don't need the extra hassles at the pier.

KrazyKruiser, I agree it will be a hassle.

Onetime I bought a last minute cruise and at the pier I had to get my luggage tags and stateroom from the stevedore or person with a clipboard and it worked out really well and quickly.

It just seems that in today's world we have to do more and more ourselves and service is disappearing. It seems we can't do much about it either since it is becoming the norm and the competition are doing the same.:(

When I got my e-docs 3 weeks ago there was a note that luggage tags coud only be done at the pier. I complained and was told by my PCC that he could not send me luggage tags because there was not enough time (8 weeks!). I was also told that since I had already completed the e-docs they were not able to send me the old fashion delivered documents. Imagne my shock when I opened my front door last week to find the envelope with that lovely blue folder with all the traditonal docs and luggage tags! Must still be some kinks in the system. I don't object to the e-docs but don't relish mesing with luggage tags at the pier.

It just seems that in today's world we have to do more and more ourselves and service is disappearing. It seems we can't do much about it either since it is becoming the norm and the competition are doing the same.:(

That's it. Exactly.

We have to do more and more for ourselves. Things we were accustomed to having taken care of for us is no longer the case. Grocery stores want us to check out ourselves; banks created ATM's and some charge to use a live teller; now create our own luggage tags. What next? :D

As we get older, we want to have less we need to pay attention to..... not more. Air Travel is hard enough and I, for one, don't need anyone making it more difficult to get from here to there and have our luggage arrive with us.

Okay...... Gripe session over.

NCL's had e-docs for a while now, and checking in has not been a hassle on our three cruises with them. The luggage tags, however, are a constant source of irritation and questions.

We've found that when we print the tags online, we use colored paper ... then fold the tags to be multiple thicknesses. Then we use clear packing tape (the good stuff, not the flimsy ones) to protect the tag AND attach it to the bag (multiple layers).

Attractive? Nope. But it works.

I'm with those who don't mind the e-docs, but resist the idea of e-tags. Knowing that HAL reads these boards, I hope they re-think the DIY tag issue...

Luggage tags lost most of their usefulness years ago when cruise lines quit fetching bags from the airport carousel and transporting them to the ship for you. If you show up at the right pier for the right ship, the cabin number alone should be enough information to get your bags delivered properly. Writing four digits on a tag and affixing it to your bag at the pier will be a minor inconvenience for most.

The people who find it daunting to handle the tags at the pier are the same people ahead of me in check out lines that are surprised to find out that they need to pay after their purchases are rung up. "Oh, $46.18? I'll just get out my check book and start writing. It's here somewhere. How's your family Mavis? Was that $46.18? Just like it says there on the register? $46.18. You need my driver's license? Again? Every time? It's here somewhere."

E-docs are a great way for the cruise line to save money while not cheapening my cruise experience. The green argument does not carry much weight with me. That is marketing baloney. It's the bottom line, not the environment, that is behind this change.

I still think that with a little patience, we have to adapt. Businesses keep cutting back and shift the work onto the customer. Since all the competition is doing the same thing we don't have much recourse to take our custom somewhere else.:mad:

So we have to be calm. Use your own name and address personal luggage tags on your cases that you use in case your luggage gets lost on plane/bus/intransit.

At the pier, get the big one with the name of the ship.

You or the stevedore will put your stateroom on it and the stevedores will take it away.

That's the new way. Unless you want to print, cut stick your own labels.

Breathe deep....:)

th_relax.gif

The people who find it daunting to handle the tags at the pier are the same people ahead of me in check out lines that are surprised to find out that they need to pay after their purchases are rung up. "Oh, $46.18? I'll just get out my check book and start writing. It's here somewhere. How's your family Mavis? Was that $46.18? Just like it says there on the register? $46.18. You need my driver's license? Again? Every time? It's here somewhere."

We must shop at the same places! Thanks for the chuckle!

I would like tags, but will do whatever, wherever, whenever, however just to get on the ship!

This has been coming for a long time. Although paper has been supplied up 'till now, many times the paper wasn't even asked for or handed in at check-in. It's been electronic for quite a while. I think it's a good idea.

While I like the Princess method of sending bag tags ahead of time, I can't see it as a huge problem simply writing a number on a tag at the airport. There's no need for all that airline and flight arrival information at that stage of the game ... so I'm sure the tags won't even have that on them (once the current stocks are used up.)

Yes, I like the Princess method... e-docs, but luggage tags arrive in the mail. Hope this is possible with HAL.

B

Call me old fashioned, but I like the paper docs. But then it took me years to give up my daytimer for a PDA and I'm not 50 yet! Still, I could live with e-docs, if HAL could provide a way to print luggage tags out online as well.

...banks created ATM's and some charge to use a live teller...

S7S--

You and your DH should come to my bank: We don't charge to speak to a live person and we don't have teller lines: We have a lounge area with magazines, TV's showing the news, and freshly-baked cookies where you wait before walking over to a desk where you sit in a chair to converse with your banker who takes care of your business...

...best of all, we refund all ATM fees so you can use your ATM card at any ATM on the planet at no charge -

- It's kinda like doing your banking in the Neptune Lounge.

(and we have 3 branches near you)

:)

Commercial over:

I'll miss the old documents, but I certainly understand why and I can live with that. The luggage tag question doesn't bother me: I've arrived at the pier w/ too many pieces for the number of tags I've had and the porter whipped out tags and a sharpie and the excess luggage made it to the stateroom just fine.

Further - they did say that paper documents can be requested, so HAL's elderly clients who don't use computers, etc. can still be looked after appropriately.

A possible solution is to make luggage tags a Mariner perk.

A sturdy rubber luggage tag (possibly in the shape of and resembling a HAL ship) with one clear side so that an electronically produced tag could be printed off with personal info, ship and cabin number printed on it and then slipped inside the tag. This perk could be awarded once you book your second cruise.

Of course for those of us who have already sailed a second time we would need to be 'caught up'.

There would also need to be special consideration and extra tags for Jim and Ruth who travel with all that luggage and slippers too. (yes I have see the photos!!)

Just a thought for HAL as they revamp their Mariner program.

Rochelle

I do not mind having electronic documents, but we encountered a problem on our last cruise in December in which having luggage tags on our bags at the airport was helpful.

We flew LAX to Auckland, but unfortunately our bags did not arrive with us. Since it was 5 am and the ship did not depart until midnight, I left our baggage claim checks with the HAL representative who tracked them down (at least 5 of the 6) and got them to the ship in time to have them in our cabin before it sailed. If it did not have HAL's luggage tags, it might have been more difficult for him to find our bags.

PS, the last bag did not catch up with us for 7 days! Since we arranged our airfare on our own HAL had no obligation to help us, but they could not have been more solicitous- offering us free laundry and formal wear rentals. This is where they offered service when needed.

A sturdy rubber luggage tag (possibly in the shape of and resembling a HAL ship) with one clear side so that an electronically produced tag could be printed off with personal info, ship and cabin number printed on it and then slipped inside the tag. This perk could be awarded once you book your second cruise. ....

Rochelle

This is a great idea!!! Send it to the company or Dutch by Association.

They could be given out when we get out Mariner tote bags. :)

S7S--

You and your DH should come to my bank: We don't charge to speak to a live person and we don't have teller lines: We have a lounge area with magazines, TV's showing the news, and freshly-baked cookies where you wait before walking over to a desk where you sit in a chair to converse with your banker who takes care of your business...

...best of all, we refund all ATM fees so you can use your ATM card at any ATM on the planet at no charge -

- It's kinda like doing your banking in the Neptune Lounge.

(and we have 3 branches near you)

Commercial over:

Brian--

THAT's the way to treat a customer!

How Near are those branches? :D Sounds a teeny bit too rich for us......... sadly.

A sturdy rubber luggage tag (possibly in the shape of and resembling a HAL ship) with one clear side so that an electronically produced tag could be printed off with personal info, ship and cabin number printed on it and then slipped inside the tag. This perk could be awarded once you book your second cruise.

Of course for those of us who have already sailed a second time we would need to be 'caught up'.

There would also need to be special consideration and extra tags for Jim and Ruth who travel with all that luggage and slippers too. (yes I have see the photos!!)

Rochelle

BRILLIANT, Rochelle. I hope HAL does it. It'll take away all the "how do I attach it?" concerns and be a nice, inexpensive perk for Mariners...

Sure wish that I had saved all the extra tags we had from all HAl ships -- then we could have made copies of them.

Run them off the copier.

Filled out the information.

Pasted them to cardboard.

Made a hole in the "tag"

Added a heavy duty string.

Then attached them to our luggage.

Now there's an idea. I have at least one old one still around that I could scan and print off on card stock - after changing the name of the ship, of course. Come to think of it, I could reinforce the hole for the string - I've lost a couple due to rough baggage handling. :)

I will opt for the "old docS" and luggage tags.

If I have to print out my own luggage tags, I will just wait until I reach the port and let the porters but on the luggage tags.

I can understand if you booked shortly before sailing that e-docs can be helpful.

MSEm

If I have to print out my own luggage tags, I will just wait until I reach the port and let the porters but on the luggage tags.
Definitely! I can put my bag on a cart by myself. Yet I need to tip the steveadore or risk my bag ending up who-knows-where. If they have to fill out my cabin number on a tag, at least they're doing something more for the money I give them.

Definitely! I can put my bag on a cart by myself. Yet I need to tip the steveadore or risk my bag ending up who-knows-where. If they have to fill out my cabin number on a tag, at least they're doing something more for the money I give them.

Giving them cause to, then, have both hands out for a tip. In spite of the "no tipping required" signs at the pier, I've heard porters say "hey, man, where's my tip?" Pretty rude and disgusting ... with today's high unemployment, it would be nice if the pier were staffed with people who were grateful for rather than demanding tips of any size. Must be lotsa people who'd fit that bill these days.

Lauren and I have done "E-docs" with Celebrity a half dozen times. We both come armed with a sharpie and we each fill out one bag tag at the pier. Maybe a 45 second job -- hand the bags off to the guys and a little tip and off we go. One piece of paper gets you on the ship now!

This is not a big deal -- trust me! :rolleyes::) Don't even miss the binder, and HAL saves a couple of bucks.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Rochelle

That's a brilliant idea - HAL already has luggage tags that they present as prizes for Trivia, etc. They could simply use those!

Now that HAL is getting a bit more modern, I wonder if anyone at HQ is thinking about interactive TVs in the cabins so that we can check our accounts and reserverations, make reservations etc. I know that this probably won't happen in this economy, and those in Deluxe Suites with concierges (sp?) don't need it, but I would like to see it happen. :)

Archived