Colon taxi to Gatun locks question

taffyemma

No luck on Panama board, and we leave next week(Yes!). 50 yo and 80 yo mom going to Colon 2000 on the Freedom 3-14. Want to see the Gatun locks, but all the Carnival tours are too long for her, as they all add on other destinations. Can we just take a cab from the port, spend 15 min. there and go back safely? Anyone ever do this? She so wants to see this before she dies, but although very able bodied and well traveled, I'm wary of crime, having read much on this area.

I don't think you're allowed off the ship unless you do a ship's excursion. Panama isn't the greatest place! (If you look at the area through binoculars, it looks like a combo war/ghetto zone) If your ship is doing a "partial" transit, she'll be able to see the locks from the ship---all the locks are pretty much the same. There's really no need to get off the ship if the ship itself is going into Lake Gatun.

The Freedom is too big to fit through the canal so no partial transit for her on Carnival - it just docks in Colon. I personally would be leery of this plan although many other cc members have reported doing it. Colon really is just like CB said - it really looks like a ghetto war zone. Traffic and driving are the worst I've seen anywhere and accidents are common. Once you are out of Colon crime is less of a problem but still be aware - don't wear any jewelry or carry large sums of money.

It's a longer tour but I highly recommend the Two Oceans by Railroad tour with Carnival if you think she can handle it - many older people were on our tour. It's a relaxing train ride to the Pacific side, you then take a bus to the Miraflores locks, then some sightseeing to see the Bridge of the Americas and the Pacific Ocean, then we took the train back although some posters have said they took the bus back instead. Very nice train and a great, informative tour. Total if I remember was around 5 hours or so. If you do take this one have a large breakfast and maybe consider taking a prepackaged snack like an energy bar or two - there a drinks and chips available for purchase on the train but no lunch served - they serve you a snack box for the ride back with some cookies/crackers but nothing substantial for a meal. That's about the only drawback I found on the tour.

Good luck whatever you choose!

I will add that I'm normally a fan of independent tours and excursions - Colon is the only place I've ever been to where I personally would not do anything but a ship's tour. Too much risk with traffic to chance missing the ship and while nothing is ever 100% safe I felt safer on a tour bus with many people than I would have in a cab driving through Colon.

We're just off the Freedom a couple of weeks ago. Several CC memebers (that we had met on our roll call and at the meet and greet) said they did this. $20 per person (I think) and they had a nice drive/tour over to see the locks. If you see BuggyStuff around here, he's the one who told me about it. You could also try posting on our roll call thread to see if he is around (2/14/09)

Enjoy, it was a wonderful cruise!

I was also on the Freedom 02/14/09 with SUNNY IN MA - HI DAWN. We did the tour for Portabello and Gatun Locks.

I am not sure if she would even be able to see the locks as we had to climb a lot of steps to get to the deck to be able to really see anything. I don't recall seeing any other way up to the deck but I also was not looking. Is she able to climb steps about 40 steps?

First of all, of course you are allowed off the ship if you don't have a ship excursion....

While Panama is not the place you want to just walk out of the port and grab a taxi, we had actually considered doing exactly what you want to do.

We were there in November. We have a son with Autism....so excursions are not an option for him. We have to be able to stop and start as his needs dictate.

However, the day we were in Colon....he was not having a good day....so we just walked around the port.

I will relate what happened to one lady. She got together with 5 other folks from the ship (one spoke Spanish) and they hired a van off the street for a day long tour for $40.00 each. About 1/2 way through the tour, they came across a road block ( a tree trunk blocking the road) and they had to pay an additional $20.00 per person to get past it. I am certain the driver was in on the deal....because he "offered" to pay a small part of it.

So just be aware that this can happen.

It is a shame that the tours that go to the locks are long and involved....since you are correct that the locks are 10-15 miles away at the most.

It truly depends on your comfort zone.....and if you use a little common sense like leaving ALL jewelry in the cabin safe...don't take your passports...don't take credit cards (you don't need them at the locks) ...and only take a minimal amount of cash ....

While there are no guarantees, I think theft is a greater factor than bodily harm. If you take a minimal amount of money that you don't mind losing should you encounter a road block.... it may be worth it to you.

Docked in Colon on the Victory. The locks are an amazing sight. American engineering at its' best. After exiting the ship (after passing the naked people) you will be met by many locals wanting to take you anywhere you wanna go. Be cautious. Make sure you see the vehicle you are going in first. Check out the driver. One was some loaded that he couldn't find his own vehicle. Also Pamana offers some of the cheapest shopping I have ever seen. Good Luck and be safe. BTW Panama is a beautiful country full of many American ex-pats. It is no more dangerous than NYC.

We were on Celebrity Summit 2 years ago and had no problem getting a good deal on a cab for 1/2 day. I think we paid 35.00 for 2 people. Toured the Gatun locks, Went to a beach and toured areas involved in the US intervention back in the 90's. Also toured the countyside. No problems. The guys name was Ivan.

It really would be best if you could get the names of some drivers that folks have used before.

I think one thing that would be of great help in the future is if people will come back and post name (taxi numbers etc) of folks that you have used for independent tours that went well.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from colon on the Freedom.

We just walked out over the bridge and

there were lots of tour guides.

Both with small buses and cars.

You were also able to get a licensed taxi at the parking lot.

No problem, we took a taxi to the Gatun locks, were there for about 1 hour and

were brought back.

Usual price is $60 for up to 4 people in a taxi.

• 4 weeks later...

We will be in Colon in May 09. I've been trying to make arrangements for a private tour to the Gutan Locks and maybe a little shopping. My step-father is in an electric wheelchair full-time. He does not walk and cannot board the buses. With all the taxis and buses available, did you see any that are equipped with a lift for the wheelchair?

Archived