Serving Size: Did you find them to be way too SMALL in the MDR?

kooljamming

For the most part I enjoyed the meals. Well I enjoy most meals I don't have to cook or that is not wrapped in paper and served with fries:p. On Sapphire Princess I was disappointed with the serving size. I am a growing girl (back to front) and like my meals to land in my stomach and straighten my back, in ONE shot. The food landed well but without the extra jolt to the back.

This is not a meal for a growing girl:p

2224530390101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Did you not also have an app...salad...soup...and dessert, and a few of those great breadrolls?

That's what I was thinking! This will be my first cruise on Princess, but on my previous cruise (Carnival) I usually had an appetizer, soup AND/OR salad, main course, dessert, coffee... not to mention that I'd often had a "snack" in the late afternoon. I never left the table hungry!

Pauline -- Remember you can always order as much as you want. yum yum

I had 3 Teenage boys with me one cruise and after:

2 apps, soup and salad,2 mains, and well I never thought they had room for desert and they always ordered 2.

indulge yourself your not cooking and the meal is paid for.

but don't forget to tip extra for all the service.

May I ask, what is that pie? It looks like a Cornish Pasty.

The portions were great for me, but I'm a lightweight when it comes to big meals. I do think the portions are rather small for people with big appetites, but then again, with all those courses no one should go hungry.

How do you stay so slim by the way? :rolleyes:

I rather like the serving sizes they give. Having been brought up to finish what you ask for it allows me to try "some" of the other courses along with my main entree. And, since you can alway order multiples of things I don't view it as a problem. If anyone ever leaves a Princess dining table hungry it is their fault, not Princess's IMHO.

I order an appetizer, soup, salad and entree, and often ask them to bring me half as much as usual for the entree as it's way too much food. And I'm not skinny. If I wanted more, I could always ask for it but I usually ask for less.

Did you not also have an app...salad...soup...and dessert, and a few of those great breadrolls?

No breadrolls, salad was tiny, and I don't care much for desserts. I am a meat and potato gal. Keep in mind I am making comparison to meals I had on Carnival and RCCL. I am used to having ONE main dish enough as not to order extra, unless simply to try something different. I am not saying I went hungry and I did enjoy them. I just had to double-up for the first time.

The pic is of a seafood pastry.

I have seen you post the photo a couple times, looks like a Hot Pocket with sauce. At least they added those two little broccli things and a cherry tomato.

Have never starved on a Princess cruise. Another line we have gone hungry on. But not Princess. Bless that 24/7 buffet.

Sorry don’t want to be rude ,but if I were served that on any Princess line I would be very upset

Just returned from the Island and found the portions perfect, it is after all the MDR

That is from Sapphire Princess Horizon Court. Is this beneath anything that should be present on Princess:confused: I asked because like taste, portions can be very subjective but never thought what was served could be offensive or upsetting.

While it's not a problem for me or something that I'd complain about, I do think portions have decreased in size since my first Princess cruise in 2002.

DH and I did mention specifically in a review of our Emerald Princess sailing in January that the portions of the pub lunch in Wheelhouse Lounge were quite small. We had the Ploughman's lunch and fish & chips, and saw others with bangers mash and the cottage pie. All the portions were small, and without other menu options, some might not find this to be a satisfying meal.

To the OP: Your food photos are fabulous!

Bon Appetit!

Chris

This is a no brainer. Nothing wrong with the sizes, you can always order another. :rolleyes:

Next passengers will be complaining about loosing weight because they don't get enough to eat while on board.:eek:

Jack

for the

It occurred to me in reading this thread that some people may not know that Princess has intentionally decreased its portion sizes somewhat, partially based on passenger comments and partially to help avoid waist.

As I've mentioned in other posts, we were fortunate to be included in both the Chef's Table and Ultimate Ship Tour on the Ruby last December, and during the tours of the galley as part of both events, this was discussed. They particularly discussed the really disturbing amount of wasted food they had traditionally seen from people not finishing meals or portions of meals before. Their thinking is, as others here have said, that you can always order more if you like. In fact, I've never been on a cruise where I haven't been ENCOURAGED to order more. ;)

As you may be aware, they also now offer many menu items (such as the much loved fettuccine alfredo) in half portions so that people can try many different things during a meal if they like.

Personally, I very much like this change. And, while I honestly don't recall the specific numbers recited, I recall being amazed in the reduction in wasted food Princess has been able to realize with this change (if memory serves, the savings was measured in TONS!)

Just trying to help add a little info straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. :)

It occurred to me in reading this thread that some people may not know that Princess has intentionally decreased its portion sizes somewhat, partially based on passenger comments and partially to help avoid waist.

To avoid WASTE or avoid WAIST? ;)

I know what you meant, but either one works, and your typo made me laugh! Perhaps I could avoid more waist if I reduced my portion size too! :D

I think the portion sizes have decreased, but I have no problem with that. DH and I always joke that we spend most of our time on a cruise trying to work up an appetite for the next meal! We like the afternoon tea, but we have to exercise restraint at tea or we won't be ready for dinner. And we always try something from every course: appetizer, salad, soup . . . and of course dessert.

Besides, you haven't seen small portions until you've eaten in the dining room at my mom's retirement home.:) My 7 year old leaves hungry . . .

--Junglejane

No problem here. We find smaller portions mean there is room to try more items on the menu. :) If you would like another serving of anything, just ask, no problem. But it is better to serve what they know you will finish then to have to throw half away as they had too much on the plate. IMHO!

With all the food available 24/7, the idea of a huge meal, at any meal, is kind of wasteful to me. ;)

In these times where all business (well all but the huge corporates that is ;)), they have to cut down somewhere, and waste is the best place to start cutting corners. Again, IMHO!

Archived