Millennium 3/15/09 Sailing Canceled (Several merged threads)

Andy

Stero, your post really surprised me - I signed on to let anyone still checking this site, know how pleased I was with the folks I talked to today at "X" when I went to use my future cruise credit to book a cruise - it was delightful from start to finish and the people I talked to were so kind and caring. I'm sorry you feel like you were ripped off. I guess,maybe I am more laid back or maybe less inclined to blame? Or something else? WHo knows? But I don't identify or understand your thinking?? I really don't know know why you feel ripped off and I feel elated? I thought about it tonight - but didn't come to a conclusion??? I paid a higher price than you did for our cruise - so my money I paid was more - but I found another cruise and actually, when I changed it - I gladly paid a little more again, because I used the credit to upgrade to a higher cabin category - I could have "stayed within the budget" of the credit and found a cruise (totally free) - I just preferred to add a little to the amount and get a really nice cabin. But I am cruising really cheap as a result because that money (credit from X) was free -and will go on another when my plans allow - to replace the refunded NZ/AU missed cruise. But I have the choice to just put it in the bank -

Oh well, enough on that - I have great news - We booked on Celebrity Century and will leave April 25th from Miami cruising to AMsterdam! Great relaxing time (and a great CC board that I will jump into after posting this ( Century 4-25 - come visit me on that board!). I have talked Curran into talking an extra week after getting to AMsterdam & we are doing Rail and visiting Bruges, Brussels, and London...I will start researching hotels and exactly what we might like to do this week.

My experience was excellent in all ways when I drug myself to call X about using the "free" booking. Honestly, I was hesitant as I wasn't sure if I would get an argument or what. They were absolutley Fantastic! So caring and listened to all my 'pouring' over the time I spent on NZ/AU and etc. First call was to my "personal travel agent" from RCL that I originally booked the cruise with (did you know this is a new policy and you have a personal contact with 1 person to deal with if you want?). He was wonderful and I will pass on his name if you email me. Next he set me up with the redeployment department and I talked with a lovely woman named Mona. She was so knowledgable and we just just took the booking reference number from the original booking and transferred it to Century cruise - easy as pie! She also checked and found my total amount paid to X has already been sent to my credit card. I always purchase insurance - so I will submit the rest of my expenses to them and update you about CSA insurance and how good (hopefully) and prompt (hopefully) they are..

We are excited and will do NZ/AU next year I hope! Love to all, Suzy

Just thought some might be interested in what a 'pod' looks like. This is Summit during

a drydock a couple of years ago. Notice there is also a steering rudder between the

two propulsion units. The problem seems to be in a bearing where the covers have been

removed.

2qdamx3.jpg

The fine print said our deposit wasn't refundable, so I thought we'd be out about $60 US. But I got this email today:

"Tauranga tour invoice - full refund of NZ $470.00 processed today

ontoyour Visa.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

Kind regards,

Kathryn Stothers

Mount Classic Tours"

-- Mike in Colorado

Stereo ,

I can't believe you attitude. You waited to the last minute and looked for a bargain so you get what you pay for. We also paid very little but are not complaining. We did book the SA crusie for Sunday and we are in an inside cabin instead of an outside one. We leave tomorrow. You should check what some other cruise lines offer you.

I agree with the comments from Susie & Suzy.

Relax and take life as it comes. Think of all the poor people who can't even go on holidays, lost their houses and savings.

Ontario Cruiser

Hi Jewel Queen !

Based on what I've heard, they didnt seem to feel the 3/29 sailing was likely to be cancelled. However, I cant promise that. One thing that has me concerned, is the 3/29 sailing does not seem to be available for sale on the Celebrity website (unless it is actually sold out). Of course, this may have been done for precautionary reasons, and it does not mean the sailing is off.... though it is a red flag.

Hopefully, things will become clear over the next several days. The moment I hear anything further, I will post it on this thread. Good luck !

Thanks so much. Do you know about the weather in Australia/NZ in March and April?

I just wanted to add that I am sure if Celebrity had their way, they would not have had to cancel the trip and the ship would function as expected. This is no picnic for them either.

Stereo, I had amazing success with both Celebrity and Crucon. I think their compensation has been more than fair. We have rebooked with them and we really look forward to our TA leaving April 17th on the Constellation.

I am sorry you feel angry enough to never sail with Celebrity again. There are, however, plenty of lines out there. One of them ought to suit you.

Has anyone that has rebooked their cruise connections party gotten the message I got: "Only purchased booking can register CruiseCritic Party"? That is the message I got when I tried to sign up...:mad:

It seems to me you really a grudge against Celebrity. You've been telling this story for quite a long time now. Changing your screename every now and then doesn't negate your intention.

Karyn, I do agree with you. ... And Stereo! well! Not worth spending time writing about.

I cannot understand but imagine the disappointment of having one's vacation being ruined as it did never happen to me, but I can empathize though. ... But once more, what Celebrity Cruises has brought forward is by far very generous in compensating involved passengers.

And most of the passengers booked on 2009/03/15 made the best out of this, and behaved very graciously.

I shall be sailing on GTS Celebrity Millennium on 2009/04/26 from Honolulu to Vancouver. I feel the crew might fill me in on the matter.

By the way, I am a Flight Attendant, and mechanical issues occur all the time. And they are dealt with promptly and surely ... Passengers get upset upon misconnections and so on. ... But at the end of the day, all understand that the whole thing comes down to one thing. SAFETY. ... The safety of passengers, whether it be at sea or in the air, is paramount. ... And Captains know that, sea or air. ... And I salute them all.

Hi Blue Peter...

Just noticed you posted you'd be on the same cruise as us. Come on over and join our MILLENNIUM ROLL CALL for April 26, 2009...we have a really great group! Lots of Canadians too. Look forward to chatting with you on the Roll Call.

Pat :)

Karyn, I do agree with you. ... And Stereo! well! Not worth spending time writing about.

I cannot understand but imagine the disappointment of having one's vacation being ruined as it did never happen to me, but I can empathize though. ... But once more, what Celebrity Cruises has brought forward is by far very generous in compensating involved passengers.

And most of the passengers booked on 2009/03/15 made the best out of this, and behaved very graciously.

I shall be sailing on GTS Celebrity Millennium on 2009/04/26 from Honolulu to Vancouver. I feel the crew might fill me in on the matter.

By the way, I am a Flight Attendant, and mechanical issues occur all the time. And they are dealt with promptly and surely ... Passengers get upset upon misconnections and so on. ... But at the end of the day, all understand that the whole thing comes down to one thing. SAFETY. ... The safety of passengers, whether it be at sea or in the air, is paramount. ... And Captains know that, sea or air. ... And I salute them all.

Francois, the voice of reason...

No, Gitte, I don't know in which countries air is offered as an option. But as far as I know, travel insurance is generally available in most countries.

Air is offered as an option in the UK but can be an extremely expensive option. For our December cruise, Celebrity are quoting £780.00 each - for economy class and with all the unknown aspects such as it may be a charter flight with limited luggage allowance, may involve one or more changes, etc etc. For the same price I've booked premium economy on a direct, scheduled flight, on the specific dates we wish to travel, able to choose our seats etc. But I am aware that it's at my own risk if the cruise is cancelled.

Travel insurance is available, and we have a good annual policy. However, I don't think most UK policies would reimburse the cost of flights because the cruise is cancelled. The cancellation section of the policy is usually for if you can't travel because of illness. Having recently renewed our policy, I've read through a fair few and can't remember seeing one which would cover the cost of the flights in these circumstances.

Francoise; Nice to see you post here! We look forward to seeing and and dining with you and your friends on the Hawaii to Vancouver cruise. Be sure to post over in Cruise Connections. Pat and Paul

Has anyone that has rebooked their cruise connections party gotten the message I got: "Only purchased booking can register CruiseCritic Party"? That is the message I got when I tried to sign up...:mad:

It sometimes takes their system a few days after booking to let you book the Connections Party maybe?

Hi,

'' C '' class do not have pod propulsion; only '' M '' class.

The vibration common on ''C'' class ( I've experienced it on both Mercury & Century ) is not related to pods.

Cheers

Sorry, had pods on my mind, meant to say the thrusters...

Ihave been looking all day for a cam that would show the cruise quay. care to share the URL for this one?

You are very welcome. I picked it up from the CC board .

The cam is from a re development project, click on Silo cam. Unfortunatelty they have it mounted on some piping on the top so it is very jumpy.

http://seacity.co.nz/

Archived