How much alcohol/cigarettes can I bring back?

MIgal04

Going on my first Carnival Cruise (Liberty) in April. Ports of call are San Juan, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and St.Thomas. My question, is there a limit of how much alcohol or cigarettes I can bring back? Will it give the limits in the Capers? Anyone know which port has cheaper alcohol, San Juan or St.Thomas?

I am not a smoker, but I already am having requests from a couple of people for me to pick them up some cartons of cigarettes because the prices in MI are extremelly high. Are they really cheap also, like the liquor?

P.S.- We are driving from MI to FL, so we are skipping the airlines all together. So no need to worry about that!

Thanks in advance!

Since you are stopping in St. Thomas, there may be larger allowances for specific items purchased there ... I think you can get an extra 800 cigarettes in St. Thomas for a total of 1,000 per person (if we area talking American brands here). The same is true for liquor ... you can get 5 liters per person (over 21) assuming one liter is a product of St. Thomas.

You'll want to check those numbers to be sure, but I'm fairly certain those are accurate for a US possession. Remember, though, that you can always buy as much liquor as you want, you just have to pay duty on the overage. You cannot buy more cigarettes than your limit though ... any overages will be confiscated.

The price of cigarettes on the boat might be pretty cheap too. I don't smoke, but my bf does, and he usually stocks up on board. I would check the prices of stuff you usually drink before you go so you know if you're getting a good deal on stuff. Sometimes it's not that great of a deal, but sometimes it's really good. And remember, you can sometimes get stuff you can't get in the states in those ports, so think about that. I would check out the boards on the individual ports and see what people suggest.

In San Juan, there's a great little bar when you get off the ships to the left. It's in a little strip mall kind of place, but we got 6 beers for like 3 bucks. And I think they sold liquor there too. In San Juan, you can get different flavors of Bacardi that you can't get in MI.

Have fun!

The duty free limit is 1 liter of alcohol and 200 (1 carton) cigarettes per person over 21.

You can bring home an extra 800 cigarettes from St Thomas and the prices there are very good. Check out A.H. Riise for good prices on the cigarettes. We don't smoke but last cruise we were with friends that do. They stocked up there. Cigarettes purchased on board are subject to the 1 carton restriction I believe.

Check out the "Know Before You Go" brochure from CBP. Here's a link to the pamphlet.

As I read the brochure you can bring back 5 liters of alcohol as long as one of them is a product of an insular possession (St. Thomas).

Charlie

The price of cigarettes on the boat might be pretty cheap too. I don't smoke, but my bf does, and he usually stocks up on board.

Reminder that one carton per person can be purchased onboard and brought back into the states.

Go to the cruise line's web site and there should be a section on duty free allowances. As others have said, since you stop in St. Thomas you can bring back more duty free. Technically, you can bring back as much as you can carry, you just have to claim it. Depending on the customs officer, you may or may not have to pay a duty. Last year DH and I brought back about 15 bottles and the customs officer looked at our claim form, said "thanks" and we were on our way.

BTW, you're driving from Michigan??? :eek: We're coming from Alabama to Miami next week, I thought that was a haul!! :D

Not sure if this varys by location, but we were told 1 litre of alchohol per person that is 21 and older and a strict limit of 1 carton of smokes. Not sure if the cigs are per person or per group?? Please note that the 1 litre of booze is the limit for duty free. If you declare and pay taxes on the rest I think you can bring as much as you want. Ive never been to any of your ports of call, but we found high end boooze at anywhere from 25-60% off! May be well worth paying the fairly small tax. I think the smokes are limited to 1 carton regardless if you claim additionals or not.

Not sure if this varys by location, but we were told 1 litre of alchohol per person that is 21 and older and a strict limit of 1 carton of smokes. Not sure if the cigs are per person or per group?? Please note that the 1 litre of booze is the limit for duty free. If you declare and pay taxes on the rest I think you can bring as much as you want. Ive never been to any of your ports of call, but we found high end boooze at anywhere from 25-60% off! May be well worth paying the fairly small tax. I think the smokes are limited to 1 carton regardless if you claim additionals or not.

Some of the limits change with a stop in St Thomas. That's where you can pick up an extra 4 cartons of cigarettes.

Also there are variations on exempt liquor for stops in other Caribbean basin countries. You can bring back 2 liters if one of them was produced in a Caribbean basin country.

You can pay duty on excess liquor and keep it.

You cannot pay duty and keep excess tobacco. You can bring back one carton of cigarettes only. Except, you can bring back one carton of previously exported cigarettes and one of foreign produced cigarettes. If you do that you are duty free on the US brand and have to pay duty and tax on the foreign ones. Clear as mud, huh?

Charlie

• 5 weeks later...

Archived