Taking food from buffets?

quiescentlyfrozen

I preface this with a plea: please don't flame me. I'm not looking for a morality debate! I genuinely have no idea re: what is expected/OK.

First time cruiser here (again!). Is it kosher to take food from buffets, or order some from room service, then bring with me leaving the ship for lunch or snack during excursions? Or is that a no-no rule-wise?

I ask this with logistics aside... obviously until I'm on the ship I'm not going to have any idea whether this is realistically feasible, or whether there are even foods that would interest me or my felloow travellers in taking them. But hypothetically if those things are worked out, will I get weird looks if I'm wrapping up a bagel or some fruit in the AM buffet to take with me?

On the one hand seems totally reasonable to me to do so - my cruise fare includes B/L/D for the time on the ship, so why would it be wrong to take a bit extra at bkfst to take off the ship with me if I won't be there to eat lunch? On the other hand, it's not like I expect there to be "doggie bags" available to take food with, so perhaps that in and of itself says this is a no-no.

Thoughts are welcome. Again, please no flaming. Genuine newbie question here, I'm not trying to scam the system.

Oh, and clarification b/c I expect someone to ask... yes, in many ports part of the fun will probably be eating in town anyways. This question is more for some of my fellow friends/fam who are coming with me who are trying to pinch pennies after the economy has bitten them after booking the cruise a while ago. No, they're not trying to scam the system either... just wondering what's "kosher".

I will often take things from the buffet back to my cabin at b'fast. A container of plain yogurt or a boiled egg, for instance. These are things that I can eat but can't get off the room service menu unless I order it the night before from the b'fast menu. So yes, you can take things from the b'fast buffet. I don't hide that I'm doing it and no one has ever asked me not to... although, I do admit that in the daily paper it says to "please not remove food from the cafe". I do it for dietary reasons... right or wrong, it's about what I can and can't eat.

You asked about taking food off the ship... the rules that will apply are the local laws regarding importing of food stuffs. I think you will find that most ports don't allow you to take food off the ship. Again, I have to... but I carry pre-packaged things from home like individual bags of almonds and cheese sticks. I don't take anything made on the ship.

Can it be done? Yes, because no one checks your bags when you leave... only when you return. So IF you take something off, just be sure to throw away anything you don't eat (that isn't pre-packaged). IF you plan to do this, bring a small box of sandwich size zip lock baggies to make it possible. ;)

The above poster's answer is very informative. I want to add that there are strict rules in some countries about fruits and vegetables being removed from the ship because of health and environmental reasons.

While I have never carried anything off of the ship, I would recommend carrying pre-packaged items like granola bars, chips, nuts, etc. just to be on the safe side. It is possible to get sandwiches from the buffet, and if you bring your own ziplock bags, you can safely carry lunch off of the ship, just don't bring fruit!

Happy Cruising!

I believe you'll find that the ship's daily bulletin will indicate that no food is to be taken ashore. Frankly I don't know if this is the ship's policy or the ports'.

Other than that it is OK to take food from the buffet to other areas of the ship. We'll occasionally bring something back to our room rather than calling room service. We'll also carry plates/trays from the buffet to tables by the pool, or on the M Class ships from the Aqua Spa to the tables in the aft.

I have wrapped up that bran muffin I choose for breakfast but didn't get a chance to eat. DH is so in a hurry to get off the ship sometimes I have to bring breakfast with me! It was either bring it or pitch it!

I would not bring a cooler bag and start filling it up at the buffet though! Karen

I brought a couple of the yummy chocolate croissants from the Cova Cafwe with me on a shore ex--it was really early and we didn't feel like eating yet! The nice girl even wrapped them for me to take--of course, she didn't know I was headed off the ship!

I think something small like that is okay, but a whole lunch? Probably a bit tacky. But who am I to say?? Do what works for you!

Cathy

My children are not usually hungry first thing in the morning, but let an hour pass and they are starving!! So I will usually have a croissant or muffin(that is taken from breakfast) for them in my bag so we do not have to take the time to find/order something.

I would advise being very careful with unpackaged food. There have been reports of dogs sniffing backpacks when people have debarked. Whether they were sniffing for drugs or for ham, I don't know.

As for taking food from the buffet, that is your personal choice. The daily says don't. If you need to for medical reasons, well---. Bringing pre-packaged from home is probably a good idea. Then play it as you see it. Good luck with whateveryou choose. And have a stupendous cruise!

Can you do it ???? Yes - most of the time the ship doesnt check.

Should you do it ???? Probably not. Many many ports will have strict rules about bringing food off the ship. Some of the time there could be dogs/checkpoints once in the port terminal. Most of the time it includes any "fresh" foods. This means fruit, vegetables, meats, dairy etc....

If you want to bring pre-packedged foods such as granola bars, chips etc you will be fine (I usually bring one of those small boxes of cereals from the breakfast buffet in my shore bag - like Cheerios or Sugar Pops) One time coming back from land trip in Jamaica they stopped me and asked me where I got the milk in my son's bottle - since it had come from Jamaica they made me dump it out. There really is a reason - so many things can be brought into an environment that don't belong there this way.....

Oh...and if you do get caught - the fines are alot higher than if you had just bought lunch in port :o

My children are not usually hungry first thing in the morning, but let an hour pass and they are starving!! So I will usually have a croissant or muffin(that is taken from breakfast) for them in my bag so we do not have to take the time to find/order something.

That is not a good idea; that is illegal in most ports to take food that contains fruit or nuts into the country. You could face massive fines and/or detention.

Getting off in Mexico there was someone inspecting bags as you got off the ship on the dock specifically for foodstuffs, and with her was a guard with a machine gun and neither of them looked very friendly.

You can take prepackaged unopen items ashore, other than that don't. As stated the fines can be severe.

I always pack some sealed packages of peanut butter crackers, cheese crackers, cookies, etc. in the nooks and crannies of my suitcase (in shoes is a good spot) for taking onshore. Especially if I know we are doing an excursion which runs through lunchtime and I am unsure if food will be available or if lunch is provided and I think it might be questionable:o. There are so many of those 100 calorie packages of a variety of foods out there that it is easy to carry your favorite snacks in a small space.

In Mexico I have also seen them checking outgoing bags and dumping food out.

Those cute little Beagles are used in NZ and Australia. and they are very GOOD at finding anything on the "Do Not Bring Ashore" list, very stringent rules...anything plant based,(which included wooden products!! as well as food) or meat. Packaged fruit or breakfast bars are OK if sealed! No bananas or apples from the Buffet or fruit basket!! Also in So./central America had similar rules...but no sniffing dogs. Some people thought they were DRUG dogs but not true...the handler said different kind of dog (Lab, Shepherd etc) for that job! But they were really cute little "Snoopys"

It is really important not to bring fresh fruits or vegetables off the ship as they can actually introduce an insect or plant disease into a country that could wipe out native crops. I have been known to bring a roll or something of that sort or something packaged with me if I am not sure that I will have the opportunity to buy food. Mostly I am happy for the opportunity to avoid eating for a few hours!

We were recently in a small prot in Chile (Puerto Chacabuco), and I was amused to see two gentle older ladies standing next to four rough-looking inspectors, all staring at a single apple sitting on a scale (I have no idea why they appeared to be weighing it). It appeared to be a matter of grave concern. We later saw one of the ladies on board, and asked her what happened -- they were not arrested or fined or thrown into the harbor, but after great deliberation, the apple was sealed in a baggie and tossed into the trash. It was not discovered by a dog sniffer or inspection; one of the ladies innocently declared it when asked...

To address the actual question

No, you may not. Celebrity specifically requests in many places that "no food be removed from the buffet area". It is ignored by some? Absoutely. But I find it very unnecessary and odd to remove food from any area.

I don't think the ship is responsible for your lunch during an excursion.

They do not make such requests about taking a croissant back to your cabin...they just request you do not fill a tray with food (and yes I've seen this) in your bathrobe and slippers and carry it back to your cabin.

:rolleyes:

And I have personally never seen anyone "whip out" a smuggled lunch on an excursion.

We were recently in a small prot in Chile (Puerto Chacabuco), and I was amused to see two gentle older ladies standing next to four rough-looking inspectors, all staring at a single apple sitting on a scale (I have no idea why they appeared to be weighing it). It appeared to be a matter of grave concern. We later saw one of the ladies on board, and asked her what happened -- they were not arrested or fined or thrown into the harbor, but after great deliberation, the apple was sealed in a baggie and tossed into the trash. It was not discovered by a dog sniffer or inspection; one of the ladies innocently declared it when asked...

Chile has quite an export fruit business. Much of the fruit that we get here in California in the winter comes from Chile. Hawaii is very strict about fruit or any plants coming into the islands out of disease and insect concerns. Chile may have the same concerns. I think if you take a croissant or a muffin you won't run afoul of the local customs inspectors, but you're still not supposed to take food off of the ship.

Regards

I've wrapped a bagel up and taken it ashore with me. I wouldn't take fruits because I respect and understand the rules for this... but I really don't care what anyone thinks of me taking a muffin or a bagel ashore. If someone actually checked and asked me to throw it away, I would without a second thought. NO ONE has ever even asked or checked. We always take our coffee out with us.

Also... we have taken countless trays of lunch back to our room to eat on our balcony because there are no great seats left outside the buffet. No one has ever said a thing about this.

You will find so many answers on this one. Some think it is tacky to walk around with a wine glass... some people have too much to worry about.:)

I've wrapped a bagel up and taken it ashore with me. I wouldn't take fruits because I respect and understand the rules for this... but I really don't care what anyone thinks of me taking a muffin or a bagel ashore. If someone actually checked and asked me to throw it away, I would without a second thought. NO ONE has ever even asked or checked. We always take our coffee out with us.

Steph: Just be aware that they may not just ask you to throw it away. They could impose a "stiff" fine and/or detain you. That would be a bummer......

I would not risk taking food from the buffet ashore as at best it may be taken from you and at worst you may face a serious fine.

With regard to bringing food from the buffet to your cabin...you bet, I often have brought breakfast for my wife from the buffet or some snacks for happy hour.;);)

Chile has quite an export fruit business.. ...not supposed to take food off of the ship.

Regards

In the '90's California had a bad Fruit Fly infestation. The State sprayed large areas with MALATHION from aircraft several times. Everything outdoors had to be covered or washed thoroughly afterwards. Animals had to be indoors. It was horrible. Wouldn't want to wish it on anybody. I still see fruit fly traps in my area on occasion.

Disembrking in San Diego I was followed by an AG dog. I had frootloops and candied ginger in my bag.

To address the actual question

No, you may not. Celebrity specifically requests in many places that "no food be removed from the buffet area". It is ignored by some? Absoutely. But I find it very unnecessary and odd to remove food from any area.

I don't think the ship is responsible for your lunch during an excursion.

They do not make such requests about taking a croissant back to your cabin...they just request you do not fill a tray with food (and yes I've seen this) in your bathrobe and slippers and carry it back to your cabin.

:rolleyes:

And I have personally never seen anyone "whip out" a smuggled lunch on an excursion.

Thats odd, I have never seen any such signs....buffet food ends up all over the open deck areas, pools etc, not to mention to staterooms...and find it quite odd that you find it odd! :rolleyes:

Thats odd, I have never seen any such signs....buffet food ends up all over the open deck areas, pools etc, not to mention to staterooms...and find it quite odd that you find it odd! :rolleyes:

Me too:) Find it odd to find it odd.

I find it odd that people care if I carry a wine glass around with me. Some find it tacky to bring a drink from one place or another into the dining room. Who cares?! These people need more to worry about. I have oodles of things to worry about, so that's why I need the wine:D

Archived