Taking food from buffets?

quiescentlyfrozen

[quote name='Gonzo70']Totally incorrect. The MAIB report states that the fire was "probably" started by a discarded cigarette igniting combustable material on a balcony. See the "Synopsis" on page 11 of the report.[/quote]

Yes you are totally incorrect in your responce, the report states that the fire was not caused by someone smoking on the balcony that caught fire which is what I said but perhaps I was not clear enough for you, sorry. But was "probably" started by someone (crew, passanger? unknown) who may have threw a butt off another area like an open deck smoking area? The one cabin where it started, no one smoked. It also states that the fire spread because of poor matarial used on the balcony and in test they could not reproduce the fire. It would be helpful to read the full report as to the cause and spread of the fire rather then pick one line out of the long report. It might be helpful to read page 40 of 62, 1.9.5.
Fire is the greatest fear on a ship. Anything that can be done to lessen it should be looked at. If you read the whole report you will see that past fires on cruise ships are caused by lots of reasons.

[quote name='jerseyk']Yes you are totally incorrect in your responce, the report states that the fire was not caused by someone smoking on the balcony that caught fire which is what I said but perhaps I was not clear enough for you, sorry. But was "probably" started by someone (crew, passanger? unknown) who may have threw a butt off another area like an open deck smoking area? The one cabin where it started, no one smoked. It also states that the fire spread because of poor matarial used on the balcony and in test they could not reproduce the fire. It would be helpful to read the full report as to the cause and spread of the fire rather then pick one line out of the long report. It might be helpful to read page 40 of 62, 1.9.5.
Fire is the greatest fear on a ship. Anything that can be done to lessen it should be looked at. If you read the whole report you will see that past fires on cruise ships are caused by lots of reasons.[/quote]

Ya see, THERE YOU GO...."back in the good ole days", when people knew how to behave, we didn't have to have these assine rules and regulations. Amazing how we managed to get through 100 years of cruising without legislating behavior. Only takes one person to ruin things for everyone:p

[quote name='j!m']we always bring back a few extra plates full of food. meats, buns, desserts and a couple of pizza or in the morning a couple of plates of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast.

you never know when you might get hungry and its nice to have some stored right under the bed.

heck if you wake up hungry in the middle of the night its nice to be able to pull a piece of pizza out from under the bed or make yourself a ham sandwich.

if there is any left over we pack it in cleaning bags and bring it home[/quote]

Unfortuantely, Jim, while I appreciate your humor, there really are pigs like that in the world. And now SADLY most of them can scrape up enough for an inside cabin....the world has gone to heck in a handbasket!!!:(

[quote name='Veronica13']Unfortuantely, Jim, while I appreciate your humor, there really are pigs like that in the world. And now SADLY most of them can scrape up enough for an inside cabin....the world has gone to heck in a handbasket!!!:([/quote]

Well, this thread was quite humorous and entertaining until I read this one.

Are you seriously suggesting that anyone that can only afford an inside cabin should not be cruising? What do you propose - that the ship sails with all inside cabins empty. Then the lowest rung is the oceanviews. What about them? Do they then become the dregs of society?

Shame!:(

[quote name='Veronica13']Ya see, THERE YOU GO...."back in the good ole days", when people knew how to behave, we didn't have to have these assine rules and regulations. Amazing how we managed to get through 100 years of cruising without legislating behavior. Only takes one person to ruin things for everyone:p[/quote]

Sad but true:(

Well, this thread was quite humorous and entertaining until I read this one.

Are you seriously suggesting that anyone that can only afford an inside cabin should not be cruising? What do you propose - that the ship sails with all inside cabins empty. Then the lowest rung is the oceanviews. What about them? Do they then become the dregs of society?

Shame!:(

I used to book inside cabins back in the 80's and 90's. Couldn't afford a veranda on my own. GOOD cruiselines were expensive then. Now I can afford a suite. I'm afraid I can suggest nothing. Can't turn back time. It is what it is, and all like that. Floating Amusement Parks. I can't change the world, just commenting on my view of it.

everyone on all cruises takes food to the pool. i would stave otherwise. some cruise have the BQQ right by the poo-Princess has pizza by the pool. but some lines make you get dressed-cover-up- to walk inside for pizza and a burger- total waste of my time.

Please, please, not "everyone on all cruises takes food to the pool." Case in point: me. Many people on cruises take food to the pool area, I agree.

I'm not sure how much time it takes to throw on a cover-up, though.

My husband is from Europe, he has travelled all over the world and marches to his own drummer, everywhere he goes. I mention this given the discussion of how poorly Americans behave. Actually my husband thinks most Americans are like sheep, because they follow directions far too much.

Now I am an American, I guess, taking food to one's cabin just doesn't seem to be that important an issue to get excited about.

Taking food into port is another issue given agricultural issues and laws.

When we cruise, we always have breakfast and lunch in our cabin. Breakfast we order, lunch we get from the buffet and take to our cabin. We like to have the peace and quiet that our cabin provides. We are even considering eating in the buffet for dinner more often on our next cruise since the MDR is a bit noisy.

When we are in port, we generally buy desserts, fruit and nuts that we bring back to the ship. We don't really care for most of the desserts offered on cruises. This is especially fun in Europe were one can find some wonderful pastries.

Travel is about enjoying ourselves and we do. We don't worry about what others think. We hope they enjoy themselves too. Lets not be so up tight about what others do.

I've personally never taken food from the buffet back to my room, but if I want to, I will. I've also not seen a sign requesting that we don't do it. I've noticed a few folks leaving with a tray. It didn't bother me.

Can someone explain why this would bother anybody? It's really not valid to compare it to balcony smoking. The only common thread I see here between bringing food back and smoking is possibly rule breaking. And I'm not sure that even applies. A sign that reads to please not take food out of the area is a "request". Not smoking on the balcony is a "rule" and breaking the rule has consequences. Smoking on the balcony negatively affects others with balconies. No fun having the ashes in your face with the wind and smelling it instead of the ocean air. The smell does linger and travel to other balconies even though OUTSIDE.

But how does taking food from the buffet bother anybody? I wonder why some ships make this request. Maybe passengers taking food to their cabins to eat is why we now have room service. :confused:

Maybe we've just been incredibly lucky, but I don't remember seeing dropped food all over the ship by inconsiderate passengers.

Umm, nope, me neither.

Veronica, whether it is a rule or not (most here agree it's not) can you explain why YOU seem to find it so offensive to take food to one's cabin? You keep spouting the rules (which don't seem to exist) but why are you so passionate about this - I can't see what harm it would do and it really is nobody's business really.

If I did see food dropped I wouldn't concern myself with it. How do I know if it was a fellow passenger or the ships staff that dropped it, and who really cares - someone will be along shortly and it will be cleaned up.

I think there are some people who would jump off the ship if they ran into a sign suggesting to do so... and they would snub their noses at the rest who didn't... as they quickly realize that sometimes using common sense is a good thing. :p

I too have never seen any rule about food not being permitted to be taken from the buffet to other parts of the ship. I also have never noticed significant amounts of food being dropped or littered about the ship.

Let me see if I have this straight:

If I don't agree with it then it's a request or a suggestion and I can do as I please;

When I expect others to abide by it it's a rule.

Regards

I wasn't aware of this law in the Caribbean islands. There were no signs posted either when leaving the ship or in any of the documentation we received. There was also no signs or notices anywhere that you could not bring food back to your cabin or the pool deck or a bar. There were several announcements and postings about smoking however.

I would also point out that there was a sign and a uniformed officier when we disembarked in FLL that said no fruits or plant life could be taken into the U.S. That did not occur on the islands.

There ARE signs in the Ports, there ARE notices on your daily newsletter etc. Just because you did not read it does not mean it is not there. So you read every sign that is on the docks every time you get off a ship?

Nothing on TV ........ so occupied my self reading a few threads on here ..... I am a little uncertain about the Contamination of the fruit and veg ( possibily introducing bugs ashore)

How is this secured when people are sunbathing on deck IN PORT , eating fruit etc (taken from buffet) or the BBQ is in full swing ON DECK - and these air borne bugs are flying all over (obviosly smaller than the human eye) :cool:

How to these bugs know not to fly ashore :confused:--or are these sniffer dogs (that I have failed to see and I have travelled a lot) busy leaping about snapping @ would be flies etc :eek:

Btw TUPPERWARE springs to mind .. comes in handy :rolleyes: . pack jewelley in it prior to depositing in safe , and then use at conveniemnce for any other purpose ...

:rolleyes:

Adverts are on Tv now ... so I am offf .. :D ...

There ARE signs in the Ports, there ARE notices on your daily newsletter etc. Just because you did not read it does not mean it is not there. So you read every sign that is on the docks every time you get off a ship?

Hmmmmm, could someone possible scan a daily that has such an announcement about this?

Of course, each time we disembark at an American port, they're very clear about no fruits or veggies being allowed ashore, but I honestly don't remember anything about foodstuff being prohibited ashore on any of the Caribbean Islands.

...there really are pigs like that in the world. And now SADLY most of them can scrape up enough for an inside cabin....

:eek::eek::eek:

I used to book inside cabins back in the 80's and 90's. Couldn't afford a veranda on my own. GOOD cruiselines were expensive then. Now I can afford a suite.

How crassly Nouveau Riche, Veronica... goes to show that a "Suite" does not necessarily equal "Class".

Tsk! Tsk!

Edited to add: BTW, I'm a cool cat, not a pig. I'm proudly sailing the Infinity in an inside cabin, Continental deck. :D:p

:eek::eek::eek:

How crassly Nouveau Riche, Veronica... goes to show that a "Suite" does not necessarily equal "Class".

Tsk! Tsk!

Edited to add: BTW, I'm a cool cat, not a pig. I'm proudly sailing the Infinity in an inside cabin, Continental deck.

Wow...and I agree, how ridiculous this is!! :confused: There are all kinds of people that book cruises, just like there are all kinds of people that go to nice resorts. My hubby and I have many times went up for breakfast...WITH OUR CLOTHES ON...and grabbed a few nibbles to go back to our cabin and enjoy the quiet of the morning in our private space. Why in the world would there be anything wrong with anyone doing this? As long as people are being respectful, who the He-- cares!!! Vacations are meant to be entirely enjoyed and everyone has their own idea of what that is...for some it is grazing in the buffet & people watching, for other's eating in the MDR and some want to just be alone to start their busy day...If this is an issue ...maybe you should stick to land-based vacations...

...How to these bugs know not to fly ashore --or are these sniffer dogs (that I have failed to see and I have travelled a lot) busy leaping about snapping @ would be flies etc

Your description of the sniffer dogs brings a smile. :D

I don't think those little creatures have the mental capacity :confused: to figure out there are acres and acres of ripening fruit just a few miles from the ship. They are quite content :) to buzz around the display of fresh oranges (or whatever) in the buffet area and just annoy the passengers on the ship.

The health inspectors are more worried about the little insect that has burrowed into the apple core or concealed himself in the rind of the orange you carry ashore for a quick snack.

Your description of the sniffer dogs brings a smile. :D

I don't think those little creatures have the mental capacity :confused: to figure out there are acres and acres of ripening fruit just a few miles from the ship. They are quite content :) to buzz around the display of fresh oranges (or whatever) in the buffet area and just annoy the passengers on the ship.

The health inspectors are more worried about the little insect that has burrowed into the apple core or concealed himself in the rind of the orange you carry ashore for a quick snack.

Any many of the bugs don't fly.....

Archived