Taking food from buffets?

quiescentlyfrozen

I mention this given the discussion of how poorly Americans behave. Actually my husband thinks most Americans are like sheep, because they follow directions far too much.

I AGREE!! I get so tired of hearing about "rude Americans". I have run into just as many if not more rude foreigners while cruising who refuse to stand in lines and push there way around, yell/talk loudly, and save tables/chairs.

Put me in the class of "Proud to be American" where ever I travel! And yes, I try very hard when I'm traveling ANYWHERE not only other countries, to be respectful of local ways.

And yes, I try very hard when I'm traveling ANYWHERE not only other countries, to be respectful of local ways.

I think that was my point. Be respectful when you are a guest in someone else's country, or ship, of their customs and requests - as you would in someone else's home. Don't force your behavior on other people's customs when on their "turf".

When in Rome, and all like that. :)

I AGREE!! I get so tired of hearing about "rude Americans". I have run into just as many if not more rude foreigners while cruising who refuse to stand in lines and push there way around, yell/talk loudly, and save tables/chairs.

Put me in the class of "Proud to be American" where ever I travel! And yes, I try very hard when I'm traveling ANYWHERE not only other countries, to be respectful of local ways.

Thank you for these comments. We have not been on hundreds of overseas trips, but each one was in a different area of the world....and I have found that the American travelers are NOT rude or pushy in GENERAL...which most people try to put it on the whole country. Mostly we try to follow the mores of the area we are visiting...sometimes the people who are pushy and insensitive at HOME are also thus when traveling...imagine that! I have been almost knocked over by groups of French, German and especially Japanese tourists pushing their way to the front of any given sight to see...they never say "pardon" or "excuse me" or "sorry"...no I'd not understand it if they DID~~ BUT I would know if they said anything at all in, especially in an apologetic tone. I walk with a cane and think natural politeness should be world wide about taking care around myself & others in like situations. Not to pick out any culture...but Europeans (I happen to be ethnically half German) seem to feel like they rule the world and have cut in line in front of us sooo many times...been very rude to people. Guess a jerk is a jerk in any Culture. In foreign lands I like to eat their local foods, find out about their culture and many Americans are like us... that's why we travel. Don't bash American tourists, as a group they are polite and interested in the world.

Thank you for these comments. We have not been on hundreds of overseas trips' date=' but each one was in a different area of the world....and I have found that the American travelers are NOT rude or pushy in GENERAL...which most people try to put it on the whole country. Mostly we try to follow the mores of the area we are visiting...sometimes the people who are pushy and insensitive at HOME are also thus when traveling...imagine that! I have been almost knocked over by groups of French, German and especially Japanese tourists pushing their way to the front of any given sight to see...they never say "pardon" or "excuse me" or "sorry"...no I'd not understand it if they DID~~ BUT I [u']would[/u] know if they said anything at all in, especially in an apologetic tone. I walk with a cane and think natural politeness should be world wide about taking care around myself & others in like situations. Not to pick out any culture...but Europeans (I happen to be ethnically half German) seem to feel like they rule the world and have cut in line in front of us sooo many times...been very rude to people. Guess a jerk is a jerk in any Culture. In foreign lands I like to eat their local foods, find out about their culture and many Americans are like us... that's why we travel. Don't bash American tourists, as a group they are polite and interested in the world.

Well said! Thank you from the majority of Americans who are not "ugly".:)

Getting back to the original topic of taking food from the buffet and bringing it ashore - Do some of you "old-time" Celebrity cruisers - back in the early 1990's - remember when you could order box lunches to bring ashore?

I remember that from my first Zenith cruise back in 1992 but can't remember if they were free or if there was a small charge for it.

Getting back to the original topic of taking food from the buffet and bringing it ashore - Do some of you "old-time" Celebrity cruisers - back in the early 1990's - remember when you could order box lunches to bring ashore?

I remember that from my first Zenith cruise back in 1992 but can't remember if they were free or if there was a small charge for it.

I remember Celebrity offering box lunches to bring ashore, and I've only been cruising since 1996.

Evidently, there are at least some items from the buffet that it's okay to bring ashore.

That is not a good idea; that is illegal in most ports to take food that contains fruit or nuts into the country. You could face massive fines and/or detention.

if you got off a ship in Australia with a piece of fruit, it's a $220 fine.

I turned down a tour in St. Petersburg today that said:

"No time to stop for lunch. Order breakfast in your room and bring it out and eat it on the bus for lunch. You want stop for lunch, you lose one hour tour!!" And if that wasn't too funny, then was the kicker.........

"Also........bring food for driver and tour guide. Bring that too! They will appreciate that".

What in the world is this guy thinking? I commented that I thought that was pretty much illegal, and very much frowned upon. I got that "No problem, No problem, never any problem........." A few months ago going ashore in the Panama, I had an apple in my bag, and had it confiscated, and the 3rd degree. I admit totally, my mistake. I was humiliated.

But the notion of smuggling off food, and more for the driver and guide.......just crazy. I bailed at that point.

Oh, ps. this is Cruise 14. Only busted for an apple once.

I know one in our family, and I love him dearly. He's my favourite brother-in law, and he'd give you his life. He began in Ireland, has the big nose. (Really big) Belly has sort of grown to match, But, ............

Big noses make people odd. Not bad.

When I cruised with my children, I always packed their favourite granola bar in pack clearly marked made in Canada. They are fine. packaged rice krispy sqares. Chisdren's snacks. But that's it.

Get your tour guide to pull into a little bakery, in 30 seconds you'll have a warm roll of some variety that might just be spectacular, and won't mush your bag, your map and your wallet, While I'm on the topic, buy two, you might be forced to share!

Have a lovely holiday. I know you will. buns are cheap.

Brka

I turned down a tour in St. Petersburg today that said:

"No time to stop for lunch. Order breakfast in your room and bring it out and eat it on the bus for lunch. You want stop for lunch, you lose one hour tour!!" And if that wasn't too funny, then was the kicker.........

"Also........bring food for driver and tour guide. Bring that too! They will appreciate that".

What in the world is this guy thinking?

They do things a little differently in that part of the world!

Evidently, there are at least some items from the buffet that it's okay to bring ashore.

I tried bringing some waffles off the ship with me, but the syrup messed up my pockets. :eek:

I know one in our family, and I love him dearly. He's my favourite brother-in law, and he'd give you his life. He began in Ireland, has the big nose. (Really big) Belly has sort of grown to match, But, ............

Big noses make people odd. Not bad.

Well I know persons who do not have big noses but are acting very strange as well!

They would use personal information on the internet but would not answer on mails for example. Strange!

I remember Celebrity offering box lunches to bring ashore, and I've only been cruising since 1996.

That was then, this is now and it is prohibited in just about every port of call. When we were in Cozumel a few weeks ago, a passenger who was trying to disembark and was holding an orange in such a way that made it appear he was trying to conceal it, was spotted by a member of the ship's security and made to discard it before he was allowed off. There are more than enough notices in the daily schedule and at the gangway that no one should claim that they weren't adequately informed of this prohibition.

In my experience cruise ships will warn passengers in countries where taking food from the ship was illegal. As others have said it is to help keep undesirable "worms, larvae, viruses, and various "bugs" from entering the country.

For years, maybe still true, you could not even take apples from Washington State to Canada or vice versa. My friends and I still laugh about an incident we had with a Fuji Apple entering Canada.

Fruit for guides - in the days of the USSR that was the absolute best gift you could take for the local guides in the USSR. When one got off the bus at the port you would see apples, oranges, bananas on almost every seat. I also gave and appropriate $ tip. At that time the city folks simply could NOT get fresh fruit so it was a very special gift. Even with alot of money they could not buy fruit, so it was much appreciated. The last few times I have been to Russia fruits were available in the stores (although NOT as attractive as on the ship) so money was the tip of choice.

...Fruit for guides - in the days of the USSR that was the absolute best gift you could take for the local guides in the USSR...

I am diabetic and typically carry some sort of snack for a quick sugar boost if necessary. Normally, it is a packaged snack but every once in a while ........

About two years ago, we cruised to Alaska. We were part of a minivan tour. As we drove back to the ship, our tour guide started mentioning the cost of fresh produce as we passed the town store. At the dock, DW gave him a couple of bananas she had stashed in her totebag for my emergency snack. Of course, this was in addition to a monetary tip. He was more appreciative of the bananas than anything else. He said he could hardly wait to get home to crank up the blender for banana smoothies.

When I cruised with my children, I always packed their favourite granola bar in pack clearly marked made in Canada. They are fine. packaged rice krispy sqares. Chisdren's snacks. But that's it.

Get your tour guide to pull into a little bakery, in 30 seconds you'll have a warm roll of some variety that might just be spectacular, and won't mush your bag, your map and your wallet, While I'm on the topic, buy two, you might be forced to share!

Have a lovely holiday. I know you will. buns are cheap.

Brka

Even in Australia, who has a very restrictive law about bringing food into country...allows the pre-packaged snack bars, and any sealed candy etc. After reading their warnings...I listed my Chocolate candy I brought along (when asked why by the authorities as you leave the ship...I said Chocolate IS a plant product and I declared it, as I didn't want to get into trouble, he laughed but said it was OK...but not a bad idea to declare it anyway!) We were allowed to bring food back ON the ship however!

For years, maybe still true, you could not even take apples from Washington State to Canada or vice versa.
In April, 2001, during our land trip (by air) to Autralasia, we took some fruits from our hotel room in Westin Melbourne to Auckland, New Zealand, and they got confiscated!

• 2 weeks later...

We actually brought food off the ship ( rools, ham, bottled water & packaged food from home) - off the ship in Belize a few years back. We went on a non- cruise ship tour - Sun Kissed Goff's Caye Excursion - big mistake.

If we had not brought our own supplies, we would have been stuck on a tiny island with no food water or bathrooms for hours. I will always bring food and water with us - even all prepackage - you never know in the foreign ports - most are fine - but better to be prepared.

Archived