Taking food from buffets?

quiescentlyfrozen

On our recent cruise, we often brought back ice cream or desserts to our stateroom without a problem. We also brought back sushi in the early to have with some friends on the veranda complete with chopsticks and plates. There was nothing listed in our daily Celebrity newsletters that said you couldn't do this.

Additionally, I did a dive excursion which did not provide food. A couple of the other divers brought sandwiches and fruit with them to have after the dive (there were no places to buy food) and we were all hungry after two dives that we wished we had thought of bringing something.

[quote name='texancruzer']Yes we got off topic.......sorry.

but a good idea for a new thread..... " How do you spot a tourist ? "

Look for it :D[/quote]

Okay, I'll play!!
:D
1) socks with sandles
2) belly bags
3) logo t-shirts from Disney, etc.
4) looking lost
5) arriving a half hour early for the all you can eat buffet

[quote name='BostonBud']On our recent cruise, we often brought back ice cream or desserts to our stateroom without a problem. We also brought back sushi in the early to have with some friends on the veranda complete with chopsticks and plates. There was nothing listed in our daily Celebrity newsletters that said you couldn't do this.

Additionally, I did a dive excursion which did not provide food. A couple of the other divers brought sandwiches and fruit with them to have after the dive (there were no places to buy food) and we were all hungry after two dives that we wished we had thought of bringing something.[/quote]

In case you did not read this thread, it is ILLEGAL in most ports to bring fruit/nuts/meats off of the ship and into the country in order to protect local agriculture. In addition to risking harm to the country you are visiting, you are exposing yourself to the possibility of large fines and/or possible detention if caught doing this. If you must bring food off the ship, make sure it is pre-packaged and sealed as this is permissible in most ports.

Seems that people are getting rude over bringing food out of the buffet in general. Most people take food to eat at the pool and in their cabins. so get over it.

Where on Solstice or other Celebrity ships as you leave the ship is there a sign please do not bring fruit into this country. i never have seen that sign nor read it on the daily's. I have read it about bringing fruit back into the USA.

[quote name='quiescentlyfrozen']I preface this with a plea: please don't flame me. I'm not looking for a morality debate! I genuinely have no idea re: what is expected/OK.[/quote]

Oh well.:rolleyes:

I'm sure by now you know that it is probably not a good idea to take food ashore.

Most people won't care if you take some food out of the buffet area. Do you care if a couple of nosie nellies care about something so petty? Hope you have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the food where ever you choose to consume it!!!!

[quote name='Veronica13']Okay, I'll play!!
:D
1) socks with sandles
2) belly bags
3) logo t-shirts from Disney, etc.
4) looking lost
5) arriving a half hour early for the all you can eat buffet[/quote]

Veronica. I started another thread for this :D

[quote name='luvocean9']Oh well.:rolleyes:

I'm sure by now you know that it is probably not a good idea to take food ashore.

Most people won't care if you take some food out of the buffet area. Do you care if a couple of nosie nellies care about something so petty? Hope you have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the food where ever you choose to consume it!!!![/quote]

Thanks luvocean :-) OP here.

I've been following this thread since I posted it... got interested in the discussion so didn't chime back in since I was afraid that'd kill the (by then interesting) debate. I can clarify that my cruise is to Alaska, so thankfully safe re: customs/foodproducts... but either way, very helpful tips from all. And good to know whenever I do venture out of country via cruise.

I'm thinking that - uh oh, going to start fights here! -- taking a plate to the pool or my cabin is OK (gasp!), but I'll probably reccomend my friends stick to packaged pocket foods for off-shore. Also because I realized it's probably just plain messy to try to smuggle a sandwhich or something. Somehow I don't think it'd fit in my bra...

:-)

[quote name='quiescentlyfrozen']Thanks luvocean :-) OP here.

I've been following this thread since I posted it... got interested in the discussion so didn't chime back in since I was afraid that'd kill the (by then interesting) debate. I can clarify that my cruise is to Alaska, so thankfully safe re: customs/foodproducts... but either way, very helpful tips from all. And good to know whenever I do venture out of country via cruise.

I'm thinking that - uh oh, going to start fights here! -- taking a plate to the pool or my cabin is OK (gasp!), but I'll probably reccomend my friends stick to packaged pocket foods for off-shore. Also because I realized it's probably just plain messy to try to smuggle a sandwhich or something. Somehow I don't think it'd fit in my bra...

:-)[/quote]

everyone on all cruises takes food to the pool. i would stave otherwise. some cruise have the BQQ right by the poo-Princess has pizza by the pool. but some lines make you get dressed-cover-up- to walk inside for pizza and a burger- total waste of my time.

[quote name='hylasgirl']I've wrapped a bagel up and taken it ashore with me. I wouldn't take fruits because I respect and understand the rules for this...[B] but I really don't care what anyone thinks of me taking a muffin or a bagel ashore. [/B] If someone actually checked and asked me to throw it away, I would without a second thought. NO ONE has ever even asked or checked. We always take our coffee out with us.
[/quote]

Try this in NZ or Australia and you [U]will[/U] care. It's an instant $200 fine for taking foodstuff off the ship. Our agriculture industries are too important to risk any foreign plants or pests being imported. There are sniffer dogs and agriculture inspectors at all the ports.

[quote name='celle']Try this in NZ or Australia and you [U]will[/U] care. It's an instant $200 fine for taking foodstuff off the ship. Our agriculture industries are too important to risk any foreign plants or pests being imported. There are sniffer dogs and agriculture inspectors at all the ports.[/quote]
And they are really cute little beagles! AND they are very good at what they do...and they will indeed stick their noses into every bag going off the ship...one reason it takes a while to leave in time for tours. I have every respect for their rules...they sure make more sense than many of the ones aboard ship!:D

[quote name='Stephen77']I can't see why it would make any sense whatever to discourage patrons from bringing buffet food to the cabin. If it is a rule, then it's a rule that makes no sense. I would ignore it.[/quote]

I know what you mean. I think not being able to smoke on my balcony - after all I'm OUTSIDE is stupid, so I'm going to ignore it too!!

We can start a new club - "We Make Up Our Own Rules - Live With It"
;)

[quote name='Veronica13']I know what you mean. I think not being able to smoke on my balcony - after all I'm OUTSIDE is stupid, so I'm going to ignore it too!!

;)[/quote]
[IMG]http://dave.matusiak.org/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/wonder_woman.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Texed'][B][COLOR=darkred]I always take waffles back to the room, unless I eat them on the way. :rolleyes:[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

Yes. We knowabout that.

The easy way to find your room is follow the crumb trail in the morning.

[quote name='Veronica13']
;)[/QUOTE]

Sorry already started that club about 15 years ago.

[QUOTE=Napi's Mom;18643184]And they are really cute little beagles! AND they are very good at what they do...and they will indeed stick their noses into
every bag going off the ship[/QUOTE]
This is their job! Otherwise it could get difficult to get another contract.
Beagles must feel big next to Jack Russell Terrier.

[quote name='Veronica13']I know what you mean. I think not being able to smoke on my balcony - after all I'm OUTSIDE is stupid, so I'm going to ignore it too!!

;)[/quote]

Just be ready to get "caught". First is a warning....then a fine....then you get put off the ship !

So [SIZE=3]NEW [/SIZE]club: "We Make Up Our Own rules - Live With It" - Then Get All Mad :mad: When You Get Caught And Have To Suffer Consequences "

Seriously - you are aware that the big fire a few years ago was caused by a smoker on a balcony ????

[quote name='Gonzo70']In case you did not read this thread, it is ILLEGAL in most ports to bring fruit/nuts/meats off of the ship and into the country in order to protect local agriculture. In addition to risking harm to the country you are visiting, you are exposing yourself to the possibility of large fines and/or possible detention if caught doing this. If you must bring food off the ship, make sure it is pre-packaged and sealed as this is permissible in most ports.[/quote]

I wasn't aware of this law in the Caribbean islands. There were no signs posted either when leaving the ship or in any of the documentation we received. There was also no signs or notices anywhere that you could not bring food back to your cabin or the pool deck or a bar. There were several announcements and postings about smoking however.

I would also point out that there was a sign and a uniformed officier when we disembarked in FLL that said no fruits or plant life could be taken into the U.S. That did not occur on the islands.

[quote name='texancruzer']Just be ready to get "caught". First is a warning....then a fine....then you get put off the ship !

So [SIZE=3]NEW [/SIZE]club: "We Make Up Our Own rules - Live With It" - Then Get All Mad :mad: When You Get Caught And Have To Suffer Consequences "

Seriously - you are aware that the big fire a few years ago was caused by a smoker on a balcony ????[/quote]

I was being sarcastic.:cool:

[quote name='texancruzer']Just be ready to get "caught". First is a warning....then a fine....then you get put off the ship !

Seriously - you are aware that the big fire a few years ago was caused by a smoker on a balcony ????[/quote]

If you are talking about the fire on the Star Princess that started in C316 or C318, it was not caused by someone smoking on the cabin balcony. Please check the MAIB report on that fire.

[quote name='jerseyk']If you are talking about the fire on the Star Princess that started in C316 or C318, it was not caused by someone smoking on the cabin balcony. Please check the MAIB report on that fire.[/quote]

Totally incorrect. The MAIB report states that the fire was "probably" started by a discarded cigarette igniting combustable material on a balcony. See the "Synopsis" on page 11 of the report.

we always bring back a few extra plates full of food. meats, buns, desserts and a couple of pizza or in the morning a couple of plates of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast.

you never know when you might get hungry and its nice to have some stored right under the bed.

heck if you wake up hungry in the middle of the night its nice to be able to pull a piece of pizza out from under the bed or make yourself a ham sandwich.

if there is any left over we pack it in cleaning bags and bring it home

[quote name='j!m']
heck if you wake up hungry in the middle of the night its nice to be able to pull a piece of pizza out from under the bed or make yourself a ham sandwich.
[/quote]

Uhhh... and I was going to order pizza for dinner... :( ;)

Archived