Bringing wine onboard!

DJChick

We'll be flying into Barcelona a couple of days before the cruise this Fall. I am very interested in buying duty-free wine to take on board.

When we cruised out of BCN last July, we bought a couple of bottles at "Le Carte Des Vins" to bring on board. Good selection and very helpful staff. They have 4 locations around town.

If you will be getting a chance to see a little of Barcelona, you will surely want to walk La Rambla, the fantastic pedestrian street. About 2/3 of the way up La Rambla from the port is the entrance to the public market, the Mercat de la Boqueria.

The market is well worth browsing, but in the far back right corner of the market is a neat little wine shop with a very knowledgeable young man who speaks great English. They have a nice selection of local wines at very good prices. We tried their recommendations for a regional garnacha blend and a tempranillo.

On up La Rambla a short distance is a supermarket which has a nice selection of snacks, local beers and most important from my point of view, Pepsi Light (and other soft drinks).

If you will be getting a chance to see a little of Barcelona, you will surely want to walk La Rambla, the fantastic pedestrian street. About 2/3 of the way up La Rambla from the port is the entrance to the public market, the Mercat de la Boqueria.

The market is well worth browsing, but in the far back right corner of the market is a neat little wine shop with a very knowledgeable young man who speaks great English. They have a nice selection of local wines at very good prices. We tried their recommendations for a regional garnacha blend and a tempranillo.

On up La Rambla a short distance is a supermarket which has a nice selection of snacks, local beers and most important from my point of view, Pepsi Light (and other soft drinks).

Do these same stores sell hard liquor such as Scotch & Vodka?

We'll be flying into Barcelona a couple of days before the cruise this Fall. I am very interested in buying duty-free wine to take on board.

How would I do that? Can I purchase this at the airport upon arrival and take it with me to take on board later?

It depends upon where Oceania docks for your cruise.....

Last November, the Regatta docked right at the World Trade Center, docks N & S. The Grand Marina Hotel is built next door.

When we got our boarding cards, we walked up one level to the gangway, but on the way passed a number of shops, one of which was a wine store (Bodega). It had a reasonable selection of wines, and we chose several to help us cross the Atlantic!

Do these same stores sell hard liquor such as Scotch & Vodka?

The wine store in the market does not. I've gone through so many supermarkets in so many countries (it's one of the things we enjoy doing in port), my memory is fuzzy about spirits in the La Rambla Supermarket. But I think it does; we usually end up with some sort of liqueur for an after dinner drink; we must have purchased some at that supermarket because I don't recall stopping anywhere else...

We're well in the double digits crusing with Oceania and ALWYAS bring our wine on board.

Usually by the cases and have them stored by the Somelier. This way we have the wines we want when we want and pay the $20.00 only in the GDR or the other eating venues. There is no charge for driniking in your room, and the Refrigerators are spacious enough to store bottles in them. Have the Butler or Cabin Attendant empty the Fridge and store wine there.

Enjoy - Oceania is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Hmmm ... is ice readily available for keeping our beverages cold if we're in a cabin without a fridge? Thanks!

They have the usual Ice bucket & our cabin stewardess filled it each morning & evening sometimes it was filled in the late afternoon but I am sure if you need more just call room service

We're well in the double digits crusing with Oceania and ALWYAS bring our wine on board.

Usually by the cases and have them stored by the Somelier. This way we have the wines we want when we want and pay the $20.00 only in the GDR or the other eating venues. There is no charge for driniking in your room, and the Refrigerators are spacious enough to store bottles in them. Have the Butler or Cabin Attendant empty the Fridge and store wine there.

Enjoy - Oceania is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How the heck do you get the case of wine on the ship. My husband says you probably just carry it on?? Or do you put a label on it and let the porter take it on??

I've never brought wine aboard in my life. But I just checked out the wine list (my first Oceania) and YIKES...about 300% for what I pay on other lines. Same vintage. Specifically, Mumms Napa (a good, dry, inexpensive sparkling). I've never seen it for over $28 and it's $44 on Nautica.

Problem is, I'm flying to Europe and don't think I want to pack sparkling wine. Guess I'll just pay Dom prices for Mumms?:confused:

Hi, Veronica

What cruise lines and when are you comparing in your Mumms comparo?

My experience is that all lines have raised prices in the last couple of years. And that Oceania does charge a bit more for wine and other drinks tham the major cruise lines. Just as their tips are a bit more per day. Also many report the excursions typically being more. Soooo, my point is to set your expectations that most items will cost a bit more on O. However if you think about the overhead involved on a smaller ship providing superior service it makes sense that the revenue generating items would cost more.

So you are wise to keep doing your research so you can set your expectations appropriately and have a great trip without unpleasant surprices.

If it was a 300%, that $28 bottle of Mumms would be $84, not $44.

In general, in the class of wines I drink, I find that Oceania is about the same as the supermarket price I pay, including tax, plus the $20 corkage fee. An example is Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages, in Publix supermarket for about $12 plus tax, and about $34 on O. The difference comes in the gratuity, which kicks that $34 bottle up to about $40, and would boost Veronica's Mumms to

almost $52. However, I believe all ships tack on at least 15% gratuity, and the corkage fee is higher on many -- $25 on Celebrity, I'm pretty sure, for example.

They have the usual Ice bucket & our cabin stewardess filled it each morning & evening sometimes it was filled in the late afternoon but I am sure if you need more just call room service

I have called Oceania with regards to the wine or any other spirits to be brought aboard for our next trip 9/4/09 Athens to Rome...

Oceania states no hard alcohol, and only 3 bottles of wine for our 12 day voyage from Athens to Rome, our cruise is very port extensive...11 of 12 days in port, so if we went into every port...we could bring back wine...

how do they determine how much we bring on...

FYI>we were on a recent cruise...Panama Canal, another cruise line, we brought on 2 cases of wine with our luggage, bag tags attached, they were in our cabin ...when we arrived we took them into the restaurants paid the 18 dollar corkage applied to our account, we gladly paid it, as they wine list was a 3 point 300 percent mark up, as you pay for a wine at home in US at 10dollars not a great wine but table wine, the cruise line will charge you a 35-40 a bottle for what we buy at home for 10..and a 15% charge added to every bill..However they did have a good in cabin charge for hard liquor which we did not bring on...32.00 for a bottle of good quality scoth or vodka, etc..with 3 cans of tonic/soda..etc..which they charge 15 percent...when you factor a cost of a drink at 7 plus, at the bar...figure this is a good deal.

We never had an issue bringing our own wine in...as the stewards actually make more...15.00 dollars=20...figure that at a 100.00 bottle of wine is the 15 percent...

hope this helps..

Don't know who you talked to at O, but they must be new or smoking something funny. Does anyone know if O has recently changed their policy?

This past Feb./Mar., we did a round trip out of Miami. Brought on 5 bottles of wine & a bottle of vodka at embarkation. In those ports where I could purchase wine, I bought 6 bottles. Had several good parties in the suite and needed the inventory. :D

I hope that they haven't changed their policy. That's one of the features we like about O.

We just got our docs for an upcoming cruise.

Under #15 Alcohol policy it states:

"... Oceania reserves the right to prohibit and retain all liquor brought aboard ship. All liquor purchased ashore must remain in bond until disembarkation."

Looking at our past cruise papers it has always said that so I am unaware of any change in policy.

They reserve the right but have not enforced it to my knowledge. Sounds like a new employee "going by the rules" Last trip in March we took three liters of hard liquor on board plus wine, for 4 passengers. No objection. It must however be consumed in the cabin, not in public areas.

Finished our cruise on May 14th and we took multiple bottles on board at embarkation and then more bottles from ports. Our cabin steward brought us wine glasses and made sure they were clean for us after each cabin cleaning. This was on the Regatta. They did make statements at various times that we were welcome to bring wine on board for consumption in our cabin or pay the corkage fees in the restaurants if we wanted it there. They also had a wine sale the first morning I think, no tip or corking fees and the wines were available to us from any of the restaurants or in our cabin.

They had the wine sales on two different occasion on our TA. I was going to post closer to our next cruise to see if they still had the sales. DH thoroughly enjoyed the Wine Bazaar as it was advertised on our cruise.

Currently is it on every cruise or just a few? What day ours was not on the first day.

Love O's wine policy.

I frequently get the house wine at Martinis during the two for one period with plans to take the second glass to the dining room to enjoy. They always take my glass at the entrance to the Grand Dining room and it appears at my table whe we sit down. No problem.

We have never brought a glass of wine from our room as the rules, as we understand them, state that any wine or spirits brought on board are to be consumed on the cabin.

However we know people who bring their second (?) Martini from the cabin to the dining room in a water glass and it is also brought to their table without comment.

I suspect discretion is the word.

Bringing a half finished bottle , I would think, is another story. Bring a full bottle as they will charge the corkage fee but they will store it for future meals if you do not finish it.

• 1 year later...

As this thread is two years old, I have a question, while packing for our cruise next week...

I'm not a wine connoisseur, but do enjoy only one kind of wine, which no one has ever heard of...I purchase it by the case at Total Wine..

When we travel on HAL, I take 3 bottles of my wine & a bottle of diet tonic well wrapped in bubble wrap & put them in a "Publix" four bottle wine bag..Then we put that bag into another well padded box with the handles sticking out...It's easy to carry that way.. We stick a fragile tag & a bag tag on it & the porters will check it in Fort Lauderdale..Of course they are well tipped!

Will Oceania permit me to do the same & will the porters in Miami accept it with our checked luggage? I would hate to ask DH to carry my wine & his carry on..

Thanks...Betty

When we travel on HAL, I take 3 bottles of my wine & a bottle of diet tonic well wrapped in bubble wrap & put them in a "Publix" four bottle wine bag..Then we put that bag into another well padded box with the handles sticking out...It's easy to carry that way.. We stick a fragile tag & a bag tag on it & the porters will check it in Fort Lauderdale..Of course they are well tipped!

Will Oceania permit me to do the same & will the porters in Miami accept it with our checked luggage? I would hate to ask DH to carry my wine & his carry on..

Thanks...Betty

You can take your wine on O

I am sure the porter will take it for you be sure to put your luggage tag on it though

I usually only take 1-2 bottles so it is in my carry -on

no sure if they have diet tonic but they do have tonic water on the ship

Oceania is very good about bringing wine on board - you can carefully package it, put on a label with your name, cabin # etc. and the porters will take it and you will find it delivered to your cabin in tact (at least that has been our experience). We also have put wine in our carry on with no problem.

We are flying into Fort Lauderdale and will pick up our order from Total Wine on our way to our hotel in Miami.

We will be on board the Regatta on the 26APR for 16 days of glorious cruising!!!!

Archived