Princess Lodges

bigmjh

This thread has been sooooo helpful! Just one quick question....does anyone have a restaurant recommendation for lunch in Talkeetna on a Sunday? We'll be driving through on our way to the McKinley Princess...just one night....ship the next day.

You don't drive "through" Talkeetna, it's at the end of a 15 mile spur road. I always eat, and stay, at the Roadhouse, The Latitude is also excellent.

"Figured must be a tour"?? It probably would have benefited you, if you found out about what was available before you booked. The lodge only shuttles to Seward. plenty to see and do. Where did you go before??? Perhaps, look for something different? www.seward.com

Seward wa our embarkation point when we sailed with HAL. We had 2 gorgeous days at Alyeska before that. We did a sea otter tour at Seward before boarding the ship. Maybe we will just take the shuttle in and wander around. What do they charge for that?

Seward wa our embarkation point when we sailed with HAL. We had 2 gorgeous days at Alyeska before that. We did a sea otter tour at Seward before boarding the ship. Maybe we will just take the shuttle in and wander around. What do they charge for that?

There is far more via sea then your bay tour you took. If of interest for varied wildlife a Kenai Fjords boat tour, needing at least 6 hours on the water is superb. Close up view of a glacier, all the way around. Way better than anything seen from your cruiseship. Not much to "wander" around by, small museum, library. Alaska Sealife Center is worthwhile. Ranger talks/walks at Exit Glacier interesting. Seavey's Sled dog cart rides very good, if of interest.

Cruise ship shuttle was $45.00 per day per person in 2008. IF you want the tour, you get dropped off close to shopping. A trip to the SeaLife Center is included in the Princess tour but lunch is on your own-$89.00. Acquaintances actually found a ride back to ANC to get a rental, as it was MUCH cheaper than schlepping everyone every day on the Princess shuttle.

You pay out the b*** for any of the Princess tours/excursions from the Kenai Lodge. A real rip for such a lovely place. You REALLY need a car at the Kenai Princess to get out and about and see the area. Not saying don't stay there-it is truly a lovely place. Just don't get trapped there without a car. You will miss SOOOO much-a drive to Soldotna in the evening (feeding time) to see all the moose out ReDoubt Rd in Soldotna is a real treat.

There is far more via sea then your bay tour you took. If of interest for varied wildlife a Kenai Fjords boat tour, needing at least 6 hours on the water is superb. Close up view of a glacier, all the way around. Way better than anything seen from your cruiseship. Not much to "wander" around by, small museum, library. Alaska Sealife Center is worthwhile. Ranger talks/walks at Exit Glacier interesting. Seavey's Sled dog cart rides very good, if of interest.

DW wants to see the Sea Life Center. And we want to explore the town.

packercruising -- The KP lodge has an excursion to Seward that includes the Sea Life Center. You can book any of the trips from the lobby.

http://www.princesslodges.com/kenai-activities.htm

Actually, we had the opposite experience at KP. Too much to do in a couple days. We did have a car, but I would gladly spend a week there.

If you like to fish, DH happily recommends Alaska Wildland, located about 2 miles from the KP lodge. (Beware -- those crazy fishermen(and women) start the day at 3:45 AM!)

We took a Princess cruisetour with our two children ages 21 and 16. We came in a day early and spent an extra day in Anchorage. This was an excellent choice. I had a friend that didn't do this and got to Anchorage late in the evening and left the next morning on the tour. She never had a chance to see Anchorage.

We took the train to Denali and stayed one night at the Princess lodge there. We got there in the late afternoon and saw a dinner theater show. It was entertaining but I think a bit over priced. The food was just okay. We had breakfast the next morning at Subway and got Subway to take on our Tundra Wildness Tour. They provide a box lunch and a bottle of water but it isn't much for all day.

We went on the early morning tour and it was excellent. Try and sit on the left side of the bus, the views are much better going in. The windows steamed up in the morning and I suggest taking a washcloth or paper towel with you to wipe them. There are plenty of bathroom stops and chances to get off.

My husband was concerned about the length of the tour but he agreed that it was fine. Our kids enjoyed it a lot, also. My friend had gone on the other tour and didn't know the difference and didn't see near the wildlife we did. She didn't do any research on her own like people reading here do.

We left that evening for the Mt McKinnley Princess lodge and spent two nights there. It really is in the middle of no place. Luckily for us we had a beautiful day, clear and in the upper 70's. The mountain was out all day. :) We just relaxed, did some hiking, sat on the huge deck and enjoyed the mountain view. I think if the weather had been bad it wouldn't have been that enjoyable.

The next morning we took a bus to the ship.

Happyladi:

Was the bus trip to the pier from McKinley part of your tour? The reason I ask is because we just got our itinerary from Princess and it states we are taking a bus to the rail depot and taking the train to Whittier and then a bus from Whittier to the ship. I was wondering if it is possible to forgo the train in order to arrive at the ship earlier. Is there an option to take the bus straight to the pier (in lieu of the train)?

Thanks for you help!

Happyladi:

Was the bus trip to the pier from McKinley part of your tour? The reason I ask is because we just got our itinerary from Princess and it states we are taking a bus to the rail depot and taking the train to Whittier and then a bus from Whittier to the ship. I was wondering if it is possible to forgo the train in order to arrive at the ship earlier. Is there an option to take the bus straight to the pier (in lieu of the train)?

Thanks for you help!

Absolutely it was part of the cruisetour, they provide your transportation. You are bused from the McKinley Lodge to Talkeetna, an hour, where you board the train for around 6 hours. You have NO other option available, UNLESS you get a different cruisetour that goes by bus. For clairfication, it is walkable from the train in Whittier to the ship, with no mobility limitations.

We don't have the TWT option on our tour. :( Nice review! How was the ship!

You may want to look at "fixing" this??? It is a very poor choice without it. Determine if going all the way to Alaska and missing out on a significant highlight, is going to matter to you??? You may not want to be investing your money with such a big compromise?

Absolutely it was part of the cruisetour, they provide your transportation. You are bused from the McKinley Lodge to Talkeetna, an hour, where you board the train for around 6 hours. You have NO other option available, UNLESS you get a different cruisetour that goes by bus. For clairfication, it is walkable from the train in Whittier to the ship, with no mobility limitations.

Thanks a bundle!!! I didn't realize how close it was to the rail depot. Since we are both in our early 30s, looks like we will walk instead of worrying about being herded onto a bus. Thank you again for your help!! I really do love these boards.

Happyladi:

On our cruisetour we took the train to Denali. We took a bus to the Mt McKinley lodge and a bus from the McKinley Lodge to the ship. The train was fun. We had breakfast and lunch on it and we were able to move around since it wasn't crowded.

The buses were also comfortable with a bathroom.

By the way, I never said a word to my friend about what she missed. It was a done deal by that time and she had a wonderful time anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
How do you know if you have the option to upgrade to the TWT? We're booked in June on the Sapphire Princess.

Look at your schedule for the Denali Lodge. How long will you be there? If you are there 2 nights then you can do it on the day after your first night there. Last year I booked it directly with Aramark. Princess didn't want to do anything - but did refund the cost of the NHT. Aramark (the Park Services contractor) picks up at the Lodge and bring you back there. I've done the TWT twice - both times early morning and I think that's sometimes better as the animals tend to siesta in the afternoon! Good luck!

Thanks Texas Tillie - Yes, we'll be there 2 nights. We arrive on the 4th, and are scheduled to do the NHT the morning of the 5th. Is there a way to book the TWT now, or do you have to wait until you arrive?

I'm so glad you'll be there 2 nights! Yes, for sure book it before you get there. Don't have the link - just do a google search for Denali National Park and you'll be able to find the link. You can book on line or thru a toll free number. (The people on the toll free are in Arizona or someplace - so they don't know anything but what's on their script!:p) As I said, I thought the morning tours were the best. Don't freak out if they give you a 6 AM time - you'll probably be awake as your body will still be all messed up with time zone issues. Good luck!

Thanks Texas Tillie - Yes, we'll be there 2 nights. We arrive on the 4th, and are scheduled to do the NHT the morning of the 5th. Is there a way to book the TWT now, or do you have to wait until you arrive?

If you booked through a TA, call him/her and have them take care of this. They will charge your account/credit card an additional $60 per person. If you booked directly with Princess, call them and arrange this. Again they will charge $60 per person.

Read back this board for specifics. As a superior alternative, AND no additional cost, IF you get a NHT refund, is to take the shuttle bus to Eielson. It's ALL about distance into the Park. You definately need reservations in advance.

Last year I booked it directly with Aramark. Princess didn't want to do anything - but did refund the cost of the NHT. Aramark (the Park Services contractor) picks up at the Lodge and bring you back there. QUOTE]

You have to verify the pick up. NOT all TWT buses pick up at the lodges.

Archived