Review: SD2 - March 6 to 15, 2009

DisneyJen

Hi DisneyJen, DJs DH, FT, ZQ vol......

I am so enjoying the review of SD2...we have almost the SAME pictures since SD2 and SD1 were together most of the 9 days. Every time I saw SD2 I thought of you all and you were probably doing the same thing I was doing....BALI BEDS...TOYB....I think the only thing I did differently was go see every airport on every island (!) DJ and the gang KNOW what I mean!! My only disappointment was not going to Jost Van Dyke. The water was too choppy for a "wet landing" for the C & C Splash. We sailed to Jost that morning but returned to Peter Island for our Splash and stayed there until we sailed for STT on the last day. We saw SD2 at Jost at the dock...lucky cruisers!!! I wanted a true "Painkiller" at the Soggy Dollar...oh well, that is why there is ALWAYS a next time!!

We flew out on Monday, I knew about "turn around day" which are Sunday's and Friday's. Most airports are zoo's those 2 days. That is a little advice for the future from a retired flight crew! We had a smooth day, except for a few more tears on leaving paradise...

My DH has told me to tell everyone to bring a portable GPS, that way (for those who care!!!) you will always know where you are in the islands. Also bring binoculars because they have taken the binoculars out of the drawers in the chairs up top. PLUS...I was eavesdropping on a phone call he had...(my "I'm NOT going" DH)...RAVING about his trip...he had a ball!!:D

Hi DisneyJen, DJs DH, FT, ZQ vol......

I am so enjoying the review of SD2...we have almost the SAME pictures since SD2 and SD1 were together most of the 9 days. Every time I saw SD2 I thought of you all and you were probably doing the same thing I was doing....BALI BEDS...TOYB....I think the only thing I did differently was go see every airport on every island (!) DJ and the gang KNOW what I mean!!

Whenever we would pass SD1 we would wave to you:p

Don't give DJ's DH any ideas about new places to visit (airports) when visiting the Caribbean:D

My only disappointment was not going to Jost Van Dyke. The water was too choppy for a "wet landing" for the C & C Splash. We sailed to Jost that morning but returned to Peter Island for our Splash and stayed there until we sailed for STT on the last day. We saw SD2 at Jost at the dock...lucky cruisers!!! I wanted a true "Painkiller" at the Soggy Dollar...oh well, that is why there is ALWAYS a next time!!

SPOLIER: We did not make Jost for the C&C either. Ours was on Peter and then we repositioned to Great Harbor on Jost for the evening.

We flew out on Monday, I knew about "turn around day" which are Sunday's and Friday's. Most airports are zoo's those 2 days. That is a little advice for the future from a retired flight crew! We had a smooth day, except for a few more tears on leaving paradise...

I am running our flights schedule by you two next time!

My DH has told me to tell everyone to bring a portable GPS, that way (for those who care!!!) you will always know where you are in the islands. Also bring binoculars because they have taken the binoculars out of the drawers in the chairs up top. PLUS...I was eavesdropping on a phone call he had...(my "I'm NOT going" DH)...RAVING about his trip...he had a ball!!:D

We had two pairs of binoculars in the drawers on the aft of Deck 6. They were tethered to the the drawer.

Glad to hear your DH have such a wonderful time!

After a Disney-esque 100-mile run to St. Barth (think Big Thunder Mountain/Space Mountain/Splash Mountain) we woke to find SD2 anchored in the most perfect spot off Gustavia, St. Barth.

Blue skies … puffy white clouds … what more could a Penn Stater need to remind him/her that all is right in the world:D

We had our usual breakfast in the Office and just to spice it up we ordered Bloody Marys. Christoph didn’t blink and before we knew it we were sipping on Bloodies and dining on our traditional breakfasts (ham and cheese omelet for DJ’s DH and toasted bagel, cream cheese, capers and lox for me).

After breakfast I retired to my Bali Bed while DJ’s DH kept office hours. I was in the need of some serious sun and reading.

DSC00837.jpg

St. Barth from a Bali Bed

Capt. T made his rounds mid morning and brought us up to speed on the sea and wind conditions which continued to present a challenge. At this point Capt. T told us that is was likely that we would spend two nights in St. Barth and then reposition to Phillipsburg since Marigot is so exposed to those darn northerly swells.

Having sailed this same itinerary on SD 1, for the most part, last March in similar, if not worse sea conditions, DJ’s DH and I commended Capt. T and his officers for making sure that we all were as comfortable as possible. CAD Mary did an excellent job as well with shuffling activities and tours because of the constantly changing itinerary.

CAD Mary was also of great assistance in making sure that FT’s cabin is decorated with the birthday paraphernalia.

As I looked across the beautiful and for the moment calm azure seas from my Bali Bed I once again am reminded how blessed we are to be here at this time and this place to celebrate anniversary and birthday milestones with our SD family and friends.

DSC00836.jpg

The ship is very quiet … really like our own private yacht since tender service was established at 10 a.m. Many passengers opted to take advantage of all St. Barth has to offer. This is the fourth time in four years we have been to St. Barth so we decided to stay on board and to enjoy the water sports.

Before lunch the Marina Platform was lowered once again for those who wanted to swim.

DSC00840.jpg

Trampoline off the aft of SD2

Another working lunch in the office … Pizza Margareta, Pasta Quattro Frommage, Lobster Risotto topped with perfectly cooked scallops and of course a glass of champagne.

After lunch FT headed back to her spot by the pool while I made my way between my Bali Bed and the Office where DJ's DH and others are holding hourly meetings over Mic Ultras, Diet Cokes and Sauvignon Blanc

The water toys, including the all important jet skis, were brought out at 2 p.m. for two hours of fun. DJ's DH felt the need for speed yet again so he headed off the Marina Platform. It was fun watching him jet ski from Deck 6 aft.

DSC00839.jpg

DJ's DH on jet ski, far left, in St. Barth

Around 3:30 we watched as SD1 jockeyed for position behind us. She then dropped her anchor to overnight behind SD2.

DSC00841.jpg

SD1 pulling into Gustavia harbor

After the water toys were put away there was swimming off the Marina Platform from 4 to 4:30 p.m. DJ’s DH and I decided we would cool off in the Caribbean waters and swim over to the trampoline. We sat on the trampoline talking to fellow passengers for a few minutes and then swam back to SD2.

Before we knew it we were heading back to the stateroom to shower and change for the Club Members’ Party which was held poolside. Since there were 50 returning guests on board, the party was opened to all passengers. I am not sure whose decision it was but it definitely was the right one.

Caviar was enjoyed by many while Capt. T recognized the top three guests with the most night on SD. Our very own FT came in third. DJ’s DH and I have 30 nights but we weren’t even in the running!

Dinner was originally scheduled to be held at the Topside Restaurant on Deck 5 but HM Stephane decided to move it indoor since the skies looked a bit threatening.

The jbcjtc’ers decided to dine alone this evening while FT, zqvol, DJ’s DH and I dined at our favorite table.

I started with the Oriental Style Marinated Tartare of Yellow Fin Tuna, Crispy Shrimp and Wasabi Mayonnaise while DJ’s DH started with the French Onion Soup. This was followed by Belgium Endive with Blue Cheese Dressing and Walnuts for me and a Caesar salad for DJ’s DH.

For entrees, I had the Whole Roast Rack of Lamb with Ratatouille, Potato Gratin and Rosemary Infused Demi-Glace while DJ’s DH had the Beijing Whole Roasted Duck on Stir-Fried Egg Noodles, Crispy Vegetables and Hoisin Sauce.

Dessert was an incredible Cark Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Compute and Hazelnut Ice Cream.

As usually the food and service were excellent.

For only the second time this trip, DJ’s DH and I headed up to the Bali Beds after dinner to stargaze. We also admired the lighting of some of the most magnificent yachts we have ever seen that were anchored nearby.

Clint, one of the TOY Bar’s outstanding bartenders, provided a lovely SD throw blanket (heavier than fleece) to ward off the slight chill in the air. After dozing a while we headed back to our stateroom for the evening.

Also bring binoculars because they have taken the binoculars out of the drawers in the chairs up top.

FYI, as of about an hour ago the binoculars are back in the drawers on SD1. Must have been a particularly bad group that ohmiss was with!

FYI, as of about an hour ago the binoculars are back in the drawers on SD1. Must have been a particularly bad group that ohmiss was with!

Thanks for reporting in ctbjr!

A very HAPPY 25th ANNIVERSARY cruise to you and the Mrs.

Hope all is well on our beloved SD2 ... and that the officers, crew and staff have recovered from our visit:p

Thanks for reporting in ctbjr!

A very HAPPY 25th ANNIVERSARY cruise to you and the Mrs.

Hope all is well on our beloved SD2 ... and that the officers, crew and staff have recovered from our visit:p

Do you really think that the five long days since we left have been enough? :D

My goodness..wonder what that was all about!? We had a wonderful group of travelers on SD1. Maybe I should of asked where the binocs were??!! I loved using them in the Med....I am so jealous ctbjr1309---wish we were still there...cannot get into the routine of things at home yet. I sit down for breakfast and wonder where Mike, Jose, and Pierre are??!! :D

My goodness..wonder what that was all about!? We had a wonderful group of travelers on SD1. Maybe I should of asked where the binocs were??!! I loved using them in the Med....I am so jealous ctbjr1309---wish we were still there...cannot get into the routine of things at home yet. I sit down for breakfast and wonder where Mike, Jose, and Pierre are??!! :D

OhMIss, we are still adjusting too. Dr. Tim kept threatening to sneak a massage therapist home . . wonder how he's adjusting? Me -- I keep looking for fresh towels and at the unmade bed . . Jinky --- we miss her wonderful smile. Last Saturday Christophe delivered cappuccino and sparkling water as soon as I sat down, then came the never empty glass of champagne . . . today, its the real world. So glad we have another SD booked. :cool:

Can you believe I didn't take any picutres this day? Sure sign that I was totally relaxed in the groove:cool:

Here's my report:

Wednesday morning dawned bright and beautiful. The sunrise at 6:24 a.m. was glorious. Nonetheless, I headed back to bed where I slept until 11:30 a.m. unusually late for me for sure, but much needed.

I made my way up to the Office where I found DJ’s DH deep into his book, Nelson DeMille’s “The Gate House.” He was intent on finishing it so I curled up in the corner of the Office while Zoltan brought me an assortment of crackers and a Pellegrino to hold me over to lunch

One of the many things I love about SD is that anything and everything is possible. I was craving a grilled chicken sandwich with mozzarella cheese, lettuce and mayo on a hamburger bun.

The food at lunch has been amazing all week but I was looking for some comfort food. While it wasn't on the menu Christophe checked and reported back to me ... "But of course. It will take a few extra minutes, is that all right?"

Many people were off the yacht enjoying all St. Barth has to offer so we truly had the ship to ourselves. I kept my record intact for not stepping foot on St. Barth for the third year running. The Professah from California gave me what jokingly became the daily island report as she and her DH visited every port.

During lunch HM Stephane stopped by to check on things as he did each day with all passengers. I asked him if it would be possible to invite a couple of CC friends who were traveling on SD1 for cocktails and dinner on SD2 this evening. It seemed that SD1 was following us all around the Caribbean and we really wanted to catch up with ohmiss and her DH to see how they were enjoying their cruise!

HM Stephane handled all the arrangements with Executive HM Christophe who was on SD1 as well as with Capt. T and security. Seems that Capt. T was having lunch on SD1 and was able to stop by and personally invite ohmiss and her DH to join the six of us for dinner.

After lunch I retired to my Bali bed for an afternoon of sun and to finish my first book. I did venture down to the pool for a quick dip to cool off.

At 2 p.m. the water sports were available off the Marina Platform. DJ's DH described the day as perfect as he was able to take the FASTER jet ski out (two rides in a row) because there was no one waiting behind him. DJ's DH's need for speed was once again filled.

Of our four SD trips this is one where the water toys have been out the most ... DJ's DH said it made up for the last two years when the waters were too rough.

Although I haven't looked at the wave charts Capt. T answers my daily questions and gives me a wave and wind report. The man should receive a medal for his patience with passengers like me!

Mid-afternoon Mario (who is always smiling) came around the pool deck, Deck 4 after and Deck 6 with delicious looking homemade ice cream sandwiches. Even though I took my walk (16 laps around Deck 6) I still passed … choosing to save the calories for dinner.

A couple of trips from the Bali Bed to cool off in the pool and to check in with FT who was watching the world go by from the comfort of her poolside lounger and it was time for an al fresco nap.

With little wind to keep me cool and the sun hitting me right in the eyes, I was having a hard time getting comfortable. Clint appeared out of nowhere and asked if he could bring me an umbrella. What a thoughtful young man. He set umbrella up so I had shade for my siesta. [

It’s just amazing how tired SeaDreaming makes you:D

We headed back to the cabin to shower and ready for dinner.

I can’t tell you how much we LOVED having the two bathrooms in the Commodore suite as well as having his and her closets. I think I was able to trim a good 15 minutes off my dressing time since I wasn’t tripping over DJ’s DH.

Time for us to meet our special guest … ohmiss and her DH!

While waiting for their tender we watched as the whole kitchen staff unloaded a tender full of fresh fruits and vegetables. DJ’s DH is a logistics guru and he was quite impressed with the process.

Around 6:45 p.m., a tender from SD1 pulled alongside. Capt. T and the Security Officer Beer graciously welcomed our guests on board.

Cocktails were served poolside as a full moon rose overhead and bathed the harbor in a beautiful glow. Maybe we can blame the full moon for the hot tub party crew who were having their own cocktail hour.

It was time for dinner and we were shown a wonderful table for 8 on Deck 4 aft. As always, June, Peter, Zoltan and Frank made sure that were wanted for nothing.

The night before Spicy Prawns were listed as an appetizer. When dinner was moved from Topside to the Dining Room the menu changed and the prawns were deleted from the offerings.

FT had talked to HM Stephane during the day and made arrangements for the Spicy Prawns to be served as a first course for our group.

The answer was … “But of course.”

While others at our table of eight started with the Spicy Prawns and the Homemade Vegetarian Spring Roll with Sweet and Sour Sauce I opted for the Consommé Double with Batonnet au Frommage from the a la carte menu. The consommé was perfect and soothing.

DJ’s DH and I then had the Caesar Salad from the a la carte menu followed by the Braised Osso Bucco of Veal Shank with Creamy Polenta, Spinach and Provencal Tomato. This was a different presentation that we had for our special vow renewal dinner and it was just as delicious.

Before dessert was served, Capt. T stopped by to chat with us and to check on how our guests enjoyed their dinner on SD2. Ohmiss and her DH said they were having a wonderful time and thanked Capt. T for his hospitality.

I had a hard time deciding on dessert so Peter brought me a tasting menu of Profiteroles stuffed with Vanilla Ice Cream, Carrot Cake with Butterscotch Sauce and Key Lime Pie. What a fantastic presentation!

During dinner the crew set up the screen for the showing of a Michael Buble concert poolside.

Our CC friends needed to head back to SD1 since they were scheduled to leave St. Barth around midnight. We waved goodbye to them from Deck 3 as their tender sped them back to SD1.

Once again, a special thanks to the hotel managers, Stephane on SD2 and Christophe on SD1, as well as the security folks for making this happen.

After seeing ohmiss and her DH off on the tender some headed to bed while others headed to the piano bar for a few songs and a few rounds of “Name That Tune.”

Jbcjtc and DJ's DH said they wanted to check out the happening at the TOY Bar for some sort of iPod dance festival:eek:

As for me ... well I was looking forward to a good night's sleep before heading over to St. Martin around 5 a.m.[/font]

I was reading my book and dozing off when DJ’s DH returned to the cabin. He said he and jbcjtc were almost kidnapped by a gang of SD pajama wearing folks who were singing in the Piano Bar. Luckily they were both able to hightail it back to Deck 2 unscathed.:p

....I am so jealous ctbjr1309---wish we were still there...cannot get into the routine of things at home yet. I sit down for breakfast and wonder where Mike, Jose, and Pierre are??!! :D

I am right there with you on the jealousy thing ohmiss:p

Just received an email from ctbjr saying that they can't call at Jost today so they are heading to Prickly Pear for the Splash.

OhMIss, we are still adjusting too. Dr. Tim kept threatening to sneak a massage therapist home . . wonder how he's adjusting? Me -- I keep looking for fresh towels and at the unmade bed . . Jinky --- we miss her wonderful smile. Last Saturday Christophe delivered cappuccino and sparkling water as soon as I sat down, then came the never empty glass of champagne . . . today, its the real world. So glad we have another SD booked. :cool:

Right there with you too FT! Now if we can get those dates changed for the fall '10 crossing we will be in most excellent shape!

No Christoph to deliver Bloody Marys this morning ... guess I will have to make them:rolleyes:

I am right there with you on the jealousy thing ohmiss:p

Just received an email from ctbjr saying that they can't call at Jost today so they are heading to Prickly Pear for the Splash.

Inquiring minds want to know --- Did they suffer the same fate as us . .. . drive by and see the waves breaking too high? At Prickly Pear, will Chef and Stephane be able to get in the water with the surfboard? While the effort was grand and food was superb, it just wasn't the same C&C at Peter's Island last week.

Inquiring minds want to know --- Did they suffer the same fate as us . .. . drive by and see the waves breaking too high? At Prickly Pear, will Chef and Stephane be able to get in the water with the surfboard? While the effort was grand and food was superb, it just wasn't the same C&C at Peter's Island last week.

According to my sources ... yes. They cleared customs and immigration on Jost and are moving over to Prickly Pear. Those Darn north swells have been particularly troublesome this spring.

I suspect they will be able to get into the surf at Prickly Pear ... remember what is looked like this time last week? Probably the same today.

Oh where oh where is Christoph? I need a Bloody Mary!!:eek:

After a fitful night of sleep we anchored off Cruz Bay, St. John along with SD1.

DSC00792.jpg

We had breakfast in the area by the TOYBAR that we fondly refer to as “The Office.” We would breakfast in this spot each morning as it offers a lovely view. Christoph from Germany was our waiter for all of our breakfast and lunches in the Office and he took excellent care of us no matter the size of our group. Some mornings it would be just the two of us while others it might be four or more.

At lunch we would sometimes be two or four or six … no matter Christoph made sure that our sparkling water, coffee, mimosas, or whatever… were always topped off.

After breakfast DJ’s DH held board meetings in the Office with whoever stopped by. I headed to my Bali Bed where I soaked in the Caribbean sun and Christoph and Clint (a most excellent young bartender) made sure I stayed hydrated. . . . .

Okay that's it for today and tonight ... more to follow!

Since DJ spent her days at the top of the yacht on the Bali beds and I spent most of the voyage parked poolside . . .. we did have a few different experiences. Mario and Gary remembered my preference for sparkling water, shortly after arriving I arrived poolside each morning the glass arrived . .. and stayed full all day long. By the 2nd day, guests sitting poolside had their preferences noted (bet these guys could make a killing playing blackjack in Vegas). Mid morning, I was always asked "is it time?" and it usually was -- for a frozen banana dacquiri with a shot of kailua, easy on the syrup. Best I've ever had. Clint makes a mean one too. Usually had my sun glasses cleaned at least once a day, though sometimes the crowds made it difficult.

Most people eat lunch upstairs. But if you haven't - I highly recommend sitting downstairs, at least once. When you are the only person on deck and Mario or Gary brings you the menu - with the beautiful scenery and service, its truly your own personal yacht. A SD tradition not to be missed is the first day lunch entree or appetizer of fresh mussels - wonderful sauce. I would almost call it a very light hollandaise but with lots with garlic.

Real world adjustments just aren't happening yet.:rolleyes:

FT

Alway good to have a different perspective ... even if we were just two decks apart FT:cool:

I can honestly say in 30 nights we have never had breakfast, lunch or dinner poolside ... looks like something I need to add to my list.

At least we have friends who are enjoying SD2 right now ... even if we are only with them in spirit:D

...Real world adjustments just aren't happening yet.:rolleyes:

FT

Oh yes, they are...less than 7-hours after we got home, I returned to the office to hundreds of emails, crisis after crisis...

But all I have to do is close my eyes (maybe after reading a post or 2 from DJ), and all that goes away...

Oh yes' date=' they are...less than 7-hours after we got home, I returned to the office to hundreds of emails, crisis after crisis...

But all I have to do is close my eyes (maybe after reading a post or 2 from DJ), and all that goes away...[/quote']

I think the ongoing discussion we have had since we disembarked in SJU about our NEXT SD cruise is helping as well:p

All I know is that I have my next cruise booked:D

After a wonderful night’s sleep we awoke to a sky dotted with scattered clouds in Charlotte Amalie. I think we all appreciated the calm overnight anchorage.

DJ’s DH and I put on our sneakers and headed to Deck 6 to get in our morning walk. I knew from FT that 16 laps equal a mile. We started the loop but ran into too many obstacles like people enjoying breakfast at the larger round tables near the railings so we headed down to Deck 4 and the Gym.

Key is to do the on deck walking before or after breakfast service . . . it's particularly fun when in open water and there's a bit of wave action. As DJ noted the gym can get a bit stuffy especially when its crowded. There seems to be a trend of guests wanting to get work outs in early (maybe to justify menu choices the rest of the day?)

Have to greatly recommend the eggs benedict italiano with parma ham and parmesan (I think) cheese. There were a couple of guests who had eggs benedict every single day.

lunch was the spicy Thai shrimp soup and king crab legs, again served poolside. Pass around later that afternoon was individual servings of Haagan Daaz ice cream. I haven't heard whether any passengers this week matched the alleged SD record 12 lb gain over 7 nights, but most of us have several pounds to take off. I discovered later in the cruise a tradition of late afternoon tea - well, without the tea - but in late afternoon on deck 5 in the buffet, not only is an assortment of sandwiches set out, but there is all kinds of cookies and other goodies, marvelous afternoon sugar rushes (as if you weren't getting enough from the alcohol).:rolleyes:

Parked poolside I got to watch all the supplies being boarded - very interesting, especially when the Chief Officer comes up the gangway with two Home Depot bags and some lumber was was also loaded. No need to be concerned the Chief Officer advised since it wasn't sheet metal. I never would have thought of Home Depot, but apparently its the best place to shop on a Sunday in St. Thomas. Everything from olive oil to fruit to herbs came on board too and it was almost an assembly line getting it off the tender, across the deck and down below. Never a boring moment on SD.

Jim, are you and Lois booked for another?

FT

Not yet. Constant lurkers. Were scheduled for April but they cancelled the Miami R/T. As far as transatlantics, we are pretty well hooked on North Atlantic T/As on Cunard. Certainly feeling SD withdrawal.

Jim.

I think the ongoing discussion we have had since we disembarked in SJU about our NEXT SD cruise is helping as well:p

All I know is that I have my next cruise booked:D

DJ, you have hit the nail on the head. This is the key: booking your next cruise whilst still onboard. Maybe someday I'll learn. My hopes sail in 2010! My DH is looking forward to someone else making my morning mimosa. :D

DJ, you have hit the nail on the head. This is the key: booking your next cruise whilst still onboard. Maybe someday I'll learn. My hopes sail in 2010! My DH is looking forward to someone else making my morning mimosa. :D

I now have 2 on board bookings out there -- I love the feature - 10% discount plus for $50 you can "roll" it foward . . .. only thing to stave off the withdrawal symptoms. Now just have to keep the job to pay for the future sailings!

Ft

The ever so slight movement around 7:15 a.m. told me we were on our way from Bt. Barth to St. Martin. The only question was which harbor … Marigot or Phillipsburg.

I peeked out the porthole to find blue water and skies under scattered skies. Despite the cautionary warning from Capt. T the night before there was very little motion in the ocean … for the time being.

Since I had never been to the bridge before, FT, zqvol, DJ’s DH and I headed up there to check things out while we were underway. Quite a command center with an impressive array of all things electronics. Being the weather geek that I am I was pointing (not touching) things out on the radar.

Thank goodness Capt. T was not on the bridge or I am sure he would have banned me for life after hearing me ooh and aah over the screens. DJ’s Dh says the only other times he sees me this animated is during Wishes at the Magic Kingdom and IllumiNations at EPCOT in Walt Disney World!

The four of us headed back to the Office for breakfast where Christoph promptly delivered our beverages of choice and presented the menu. All we had to say to Christoph was “The usual” and he would repeat back to us our favorite breakfast.

Both FT and I drink a lot of sparkling water … doesn’t matter if it is breakfast, lunch or dinner. I like lime in my sparkling water regardless of the time of day. Christoph knew this and he would go a slice a lime every morning and have it waiting for me even though the bar wasn’t open yet.

After breakfast FT and zqvol headed into Marigot … a port they had missed two times before. DJ’s DH and I waited for the island report from the Professah:)

DJ’s DH and I settled into our respective spots and the ship is again pretty much empty as most folks opted to head into port.

We have been to Marigot three times in three years … the first time we had a relatively calm anchorage in December.

Last year on SD1 we started out anchored until the rolling and pitching became so great that Capt. Berg moved us to tie up to the industrial pier.

This year, SD1 was tied up to the industrial dock when we arrived in Marigot. The Azmara was anchored further out than we were and had established a tender service (which from my Bali Bed looked a whole lot like Walt Disney World’s Splash Mountain).

Our anchorage was a bit rolly but it was nothing compared to what we faced the year before.

DSC00842.jpg

Looking out from my Bali Bed in Marigot

While I was taking my walk (16 laps around Deck 6) tender service was established.

Swimming was scheduled off the Marina Platform from 11 a.m. to noon but Mother Ocean and Mother Nature took care of that!

Our happy little group found way to amuse ourselves. One of our favorite pastimes was gathering in the Office and on the Bali Bed … which FT finally gave a try … and watching the rail rock up and down as the swells increased.

Lunch in the Office again with the usual suspects. We split two volcano pizzas as appetizers and we tried the open face baby shrimp sandwich with Thousand Island dressing and pasta with grilled vegetables.

Rain looked to be heading our way during lunch but just before it reached SD II, the clouds split and the rain missed us.

DSC00847.jpg

Clouds moving in and swells starting to build

On Tuesday I had talked to HM Stephane about hosting a small cocktail party before dinner in our suite for some of our friends, new and old. Invitations to join us for cocktails in our Commodore Suite and then dinner al fresco on Deck 4 aft were sent to the two couples traveling with us, as well as to two new couple we met on board and who are CC lurkers.

Invitations were sent on Wednesday and all said they would like to join us. As a matter of fact one couple had been invited to dine with at the Captain’s Table on Thursday but opted to join us instead. This of course became a running joke.

Capt. T pulled the anchors up around 6 p.m., just as I was trying to finish showering and dressing in preparation for our guests. The ship’s movements made it challenging for all of us who were preparing for the cocktail party and made for some great stories over dinner and drinks.[

A bit before the scheduled start of the party, Peter brought some wonderful canapés as Zoltan checked in on our bar needs.

On our guests’ invitations, it stated that they should wait for their escort to our cabin. Now mind you, FT and zqvol were directly across the hall from us and the jbcjtc’ers were diagonally across the hall from us. The Sistahs and the Professah were just a few doors away on deck 2.

FT was in our room as the deliveries were being made and headed back to her room to be "escorted” to ours. We all, including Jinky our wonderful stewardess, laughed about the process!

Gary, who took wonderful care of us all week, took our bar orders and promptly delivered our beverages. I am amazed at how he and others can take orders for 10 people without writing it down and then present each drink to the person who ordered it … and he always knew what we last ordered.

When we arranged the cocktail party we extended an invitation to Capt. T to stop in to say hello before dinner if time and circumstances permitted.

DJ’s DH and I suspected that since the seas weren’t necessarily cooperating (meaning we were rolling a great deal) and Capt. T had to find and pick up both anchors before moving us to calmer water for dinner that he would take a rain check on the cocktail party.

While our guests were gathering and enjoying the moment our phone rang. We were well on our way to a lovely and calm anchorage for dinner. It was Capt. T calling to say that he was sorry he was late and that he would join us shortly. As DJ’s DH commented to our group … “Only on SD does one receive such personal attention.”

In the interim, CAD Mary stopped by to give us a personal overview of the activities for the next day. Earlier in the day we had invited her to join us for dinner and she accepted.

We were anchored in a lovely spot and HM Stephane arrived to check on things and to advise us that Capt. T was en route.

Before we knew Capt T, in his formal dress whites, was knocking on our door and toasting our group. After a few minutes of answering questions (I did not ask a single one)

Capt. T excused himself and headed to dinner. We followed suit and were escorted to a lovely table for 11, CAD Mary graciously accepted our invitation, where we dined on the Degustation Menu.

With the lights of St. Martin off on the distance everyone at the table except me (I have a food allergy) started with L’Oeuf Poule au Caviar “Surprise.” I was going to pass on the first course but Peter suggested the Marinated Grilled Vegetable Tower off the Vegetarian Menu. What an outstanding suggestion.

We then had the Marinated King Crab and Lobster Tartar with Orange Dressing, Phyllo Dough and Fresh Herbs. Next came the Cream of Pumpkin Soup with Tarragon and Roasted Pumpkin Seeds.

The intermezzo course was a White Peach and Champagne Sorbet.

s and Chicken Stock Reduction while DJ’s DH went with the Honey and Five Spice Roasted Saddle of Veal with Caramelized Belgian Endive and Fondant Potato.Both entrees were fabulous!

We then were served Warmed Morbier Cheese Enhanced with Truffle Flavored Honey.

Dessert was Lemon Soufflé with White Chocolate Ice Cream. The meal concluded with Homemade Petit-Fours and Chocolate Truffles.

After an incredible gastronomical feast, four of us headed to the TOY Bar which we had to ourselves. While DJ’s DH and Dr. jbcjtc sipped on Scotch the four of us tried to solve the world’s problems, identified the stars and constellations in a perfect Caribbean sky and watched the twinkling lights of St. Martin fade into the distance.

To ward off the slight evening chill, Clint covered us with those lovely SD blankets and made sure the scotch glasses stayed full.

After a while it was again time to retire to Deck 2.

Archived