Celebrity Infinity, Buy Now or Wait?

keishashadow

considering booking rather last min cruise on the Infinity to Alaska in June

Celebrity quoted me category 2b or 2c (my choice?odd), with airfare from PIT for 3 pp including TI = $5,800

airfare special is less than what i could book on Southwest:) ($800 pp/$2,400)

just wondering if i should jump now or wait until final cancellation date in April & see what the price would be then:confused:...not that i've ever done this, yet have heard of so many great deals snagged that way.

any thoughts, suggestions:)?

That's a toughie...We have taken 3 cruises up to Alaska and always booked ahead, cause in truth, it seems Alaska being the "hot" summer destination that it is during their short cruise season, is always booked! AND...we want certain cabins that for us, is worth booking ahead...With the economy it could be different this year! I would say, if you are willing to wait and watch diligently, you may get a good fare, but understand...you may not get the desired cabin/deck of the ship you want, if that does not bother you, then it may be worth it to wait/watch. The final pmt would be due all up front as well the longer you wait...If you are REALLY flexible and do not care about all that, taking your chances can sometimes be a benefit! I'm sure other's will share their 2cents as well...

sometimes the price goes up, not down. We did go to Alaska and by the time we went, the price had doubled. Sure was glad we didn't wait.

Yep...exactly as I posted, I have never seen Alaska go down, that usually happens with the Caribb. or Mexico, especially the short trips, where they wanna get that ship filled last minute. Alaska seems to have a whole different clientele...planned far in advance since the season is so short and people are willing to pay a little more, especially for those balcony's...Would never go to Alaska w/o a balcony...the scenery is too breathtaking to miss!!

I've seen Alaska cruise prices go down every year - although maybe that doesn't happen so much on the high-end cabins. I changed from an inside to an obstructed oceanview cabin after prices went down in both 2007 and 2008. I didn't book my 2009 Alaska cruise until January - when Princess had a SUPER sale.

Southwest is charging $800/pp to Seattle, or that's what Celebrity is charging? Those are terrible airfare prices! We're paying $238/pp from Indianapolis to Seattle on American in May. I can't imagine airfare from Pittsburgh would be that much more.

We are going in May on the Infinity. I booked our group several months ago. Just before Christmas it dropped $200 then in January it dropped another $200. It has now gone up. Of course we were all very happy to get the discount.

If you are comfortable with the price you have I would suggest you book. X will give you any discounts they do if you call them (except foe the weekly specials were are for new bookings only.)

But when you do book see if your air is so tied to your fare that if a discount comes along you won't be able to ask for it because it will make your air fare go up.

I've seen Alaska cruise prices go down every year - although maybe that doesn't happen so much on the high-end cabins. I changed from an inside to an obstructed oceanview cabin after prices went down in both 2007 and 2008. I didn't book my 2009 Alaska cruise until January - when Princess had a SUPER sale.

Southwest is charging $800/pp to Seattle, or that's what Celebrity is charging? Those are terrible airfare prices! We're paying $238/pp from Indianapolis to Seattle on American in May. I can't imagine airfare from Pittsburgh would be that much more.

we're orphans in PIT:rolleyes:, i did recheck SW today, the rates have dropped since i last checked, now approx $600 a person:p

celebrity was $724 plus tax, cheaper than SW when i 1st checked

now that i think about it, im not sure i'd be happy with some of the flights i've priced out today as to possible connections, some 11 hour +:eek: . Even if Celebrity does assure me they guarantee getting us to boat/flights on time or will fly us to 1st port, assume they'd throw us on the cheapest offering they could get away with using

so, it's a trade off now, peace of mind or save $700 - $800 pp on flights, head hurts lol

If you are comfortable with the price you have I would suggest you book. X will give you any discounts they do if you call them (except foe the weekly specials were are for new bookings only.)

But when you do book see if your air is so tied to your fare that if a discount comes along you won't be able to ask for it because it will make your air fare go up.

i didn't think of the airfare being tied into rate either, probably better to do it on my own

a concern i have

DHs vacation schedule would require 'calling off sick' on the Friday the ship departs & catching the earliest flight out & latest back home (unfortunately we run into 4th of July which messes up flights home both day after cruise & the next:( pricewise & schedule).

would u all feel comfortable with booking these southwest flights:

Arrival @ 11:05 am, same day ship departs @ 4 pm

Departure @ 12:25 pm, same day ship returns @ 6 am

:confused:never have i had less 'breathing room' on cruise flights, afraid something may go wrong & we'll miss a connection (both go thru Chicago if i recall)

I can see why your airfare is high - with a holiday in there. We are flying to Seattle 3 days pre-cruise because of the Memorial Day weekend's higher airfares.

There is no way I would fly to Seattle the day of the cruise, especially with a change of planes in Chicago. I'd fly out Thursday night and stay in an airport hotel.

unfortunately, can't get a late flight out after work on Thursday due to work schedule, no way can he call off 2 days;)

the fare is the same for week i looked end of june too, we just don't have much flying out of PIT anymore since USAir took out their main hub, connections r rough

did see that the have FV cabins (271 sf, with 242 sf veranda:eek:) only $400 more, they look sweet/suite:D, so tempting

unfortunately, can't get a late flight out after work on Thursday due to work schedule, no way can he call off 2 days;)

the fare is the same for week i looked end of june too, we just don't have much flying out of PIT anymore since USAir took out their main hub, connections r rough

did see that the have FV cabins (271 sf, with 242 sf veranda:eek:) only $400 more, they look sweet/suite:D, so tempting

Gee - you could put another family out on the balcony!

If it were me - I'd drive somewhere Thursday night so I could catch a non-stop flight to Seattle EARLY Friday morning. Or - I'd choose a ship that sails on Saturday.

Hi:)

Personally, I would never fly across country on the same day.

Too many variables AND by the time you get there you will

be totally exhausted from flying all day.

I know the time difference is in your favor going west BUT

the actual flytime is LONG:eek:

The return portion is good. 12:25pm? I would book that

type of return time.

Hope it all works out for you:)

It looks like more than a few of us are suggesting not flying in that late on Sail Day. Either get in the night before (different airport or take 1/2 day off), or sail day later.

I’m sure you've read threads on this site about how a cruise was ‘ruined’ by missing the ship and the flail of trying to catch up. We sailed out of LA on a Panama Canal cruise and people left the sail day out of Chicago (in the winter!) and missed connections and the ship. They missed 4 days of the cruise and saw parts of Mexico they really didn’t need to.

It happens numerous times. Picture yourself the day before the cruise checking the weather and the flights – numerous times. Trying to get a good sleep and waking up to check again. Then that little voice in your head as you drive to the airport, KNOWING the flight will be late and you’ll miss your connections. Even if you make it, it will be stress-city until you step on that ship.

It’s a gamble many (majority) take. I still work – I take the extra time off and pay for that room at the airport or travel Sat for a Sun departure. We can get over to the port nice and early – onto the ship as early as possible and start the cruise early.

Even for the cruises we drive to (we are in Fla Panhandle which is 12+hrs from Ft Lauderdale and Miami), we start driving down the day before.

For us - Just not worth it. Your Call.

Denny

thanks all for your help, better judgement kicking in:o

i agree, always like to have my feet on the ground the night before a cruise; too much $ @ stake

imo, odd they sail 7 day cruises on Friday anyway:confused:

I saw air rates as cheap at $373 on US Air. Use http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego to help you find flights then you go and book directly from the airline.

Just trying to help someone from the Burgh

Grab cabin 8166 you get an even bigger balcony and 270 degre views. There are only 8 cabins on the ship that get views this good. 2 of them are the penthouse suites.

If you are doing the 7/4 cruise we will be with you and praying for good weather as we too cannot fly out night before. This is why we take travel insurance - worse case scenario we get a visit to Seattle and Mt. Rushmore and drive up to Vancouver - best case we make the cruise and have a great time. We booked early on another cruise actually and Celebrity has honored all of the fare decreases. I love SWA - wish we could fly with them but for us they get in too late so we are on Delta non stop. We didn't want to do a layover given the fear of not making the ship. You will love Alaska - it is our 3rd time there (one overland trip only) and we love this class of ship.

Archived