Peter Greenburg special on the Pearl

Nuncie

I hope they play this on the different ships so I can see it. Also hope its better then the one about the Pearl in Alaska. It was wayyy too commercial like for me..I didn't know NCL did 30 min infomercials!

James, if you can't get it let me know & I'll send you a DVD of it. Oh, wait that might be a violation of copyright law.

James, if you can't get it let me know where I can send some 'regrets' ;)

what were the stats?

50% of market belongs to Carnival

30% to Royal Caribbean

10% to NCL?

hey i don't care how much of the market they have...they have one of the best products out there for the money.

*sips more kool aide...AND LOVING IT!*

Royal Caribbean:

Azamara Quest 750 pax

Azamara Journey 750 pax

Celebrity Solstice 2,850 pax

Celebrity Xpedition 98 pax

Century 1,770 pax

Constellation 1,950 pax

Infinity 1,950 pax

Mercury 1,870 pax

Millennium 1,950 pax

Summit 1,950 pax

Adventure of the Seas 3,835

Brilliance of the Seas 2,501

Enchantment of the Seas 2,446

Explorer of the Seas 3,835

Freedom of the Seas 4,375

Grandeur of the Seas 2,446

Independence of the Seas 4,375

Jewel of the Seas 2,501

Legend of the Seas 2,076

Liberty of the Seas 4,375

Majesty of the Seas 2,744

Mariner of the Seas 3,114

Monarch of the Seas 2,744

Navigator of the Seas 3,835

Radiance of the Seas 2,501

Rhapsody of the Seas 2,435

Serenade of the Seas 2,501

Splendour of the Seas 2,076

Vision of the Seas 2,435

Voyager of the Seas 3,835

NCL

Norwegian Dawn 2,224

Norwegian Gem 2,380

Norwegian Jade 2,402

Norwegian Jewel 2,376

Norwegian Majesty 1,462

Norwegian Pearl 2,380

Norwegian Sky 2,002

Norwegian Spirit 1,966

Norwegian Star 2,240

Norwegian Sun 1,936

Pride of America 2,138

I'm too lazy to do the math, but I belive that Royal have more than 3x more capacity. If NCL had as many ships I'm sure they would be as big.

James, if you can't get it let me know & I'll send you a DVD of it. Oh, wait that might be a violation of copyright law.

James, if you can't get it let me know where I can send some 'regrets' ;)

:D:D:D You just made my day....That was hilarious!!!

roxette...thanks for that info. i figured it was the size of the fleet. but i still maintain that as long as NCL provides a quality product at competitive prices...it will keep it's following.

for the economists out there...perhaps less susceptible to a falling market with a smaller fleet? (should roxette have added the Star Cruises fleet for a complete total?)

I was a bit disappointed with the final statement from the

"honeymoon" couple :rolleyes: waiting for their luggage. He said "They got us up for 'this'" and she said "We are not happy campers!" Now I know these were not their exact words, but my husband and I were on that cruise and we are wondering who "THEY" were who "MADE" them get up early?!!!!:p THIS IS FREE STYLE!!!!! We got off the ship at 10:45 after a couple of mai tais!!!!!! Painless.:cool:

Perhaps the 10% market is why NCL have more promotions to attract new passengers. RCL is way too expensive for a very comparable product. especially for third passengers which is what keeps me from sailing on their ships vs. other cruiselines.

I find freestyle terrific for families with small children like mine. Not having to stress over when my son have to wake up from his nap for dinner will be a more relaxing vacation.

Travel Channel is entertainment using Smantha Brown, who does Champion Windows ads here in CLE so we are sick of her voice. Then they have Miss America with no line to wait in getting onboard, you try it! Then her excursion is a Lobster restaurant that we went to in Canada that was $30. Again I say not us....

CNBC has Peter Greenburg from MSNBC who did a great job telling you about 15 decks of living space onboard Jewel. You got to see up close the lovely artwork outside each ship. Dawn as the Statue of Liberty since she sails out of NYC. And how refurbishments are needed and the rates for those. New ships coming in the next year including a half built Epic shown. I predict they may have the premiere of Epic with Peter as the host. HEAR THAT STUART & SHEEHAN........ So great to have met both of you on the show. Then you get some excitement that they are running low on bar tabs, stores are not selling, and economy may be hurting NCL. But nope, Stuart tells us they did make money. Must have been gifts.

I have it tivo'd to watch another 20 times. One great show!

Then they have Miss America with no line to wait in getting onboard, you try it!

Oh PLEASE, do not call that woman a Miss America. Brooke Lee was Miss USA. Huge difference.....like the size of a woman's brain compared to the size of her......oh nevermind. LOL

CG (a Miss America fan :)...can you tell? )

I, too, watched the show and really enjoyed it. My SO and I were on the Pearl in February and we had a wonderful time. However, regarding the "salary" of $2,500 for the senior steward, I believe that was a misleading statement too. My SO has worked on cruise ships for 17 years and for three different lines: RCCL, Celebrity and Crystal. While he has always worked in the dining room and not in housekeeping, the stewards' and waiters' income is handled similarly. It is very possible, even likely, that the senior steward makes $2,500 per month, but only 20% or less would be in the form of "salary" and the rest would be from the daily service charges and any additional gratuities that each guest passenger pays. There are a few, small, truly luxury lines that pay their service crew a salary that high, but most, if not all, of the major lines handle their service crew in this same manner and pay them about the same amount. So, the more paying passengers on a cruise, the more the service crew (primarily in housekeeping, the dining room, and lido deck/buffet area) can expect to make, and, conversely, the fewer guest passengers, the less they make. This is where the automatically added tips or services charges come into play as well as any additional tips above and beyond the daily suggested amount that guests choose to pay. I will quickly admit that I have no intimate knowledge of how NCL pays their crew, but I, and especially my SO, would be shocked if it was any different from the other major lines. Now when NCL had ships sailing exclusively in Hawaii, and I think they still have one ship doing this itinerary, they did, indeed, have to comply with U.S. minimum wage standards and they paid their crew accordingly. They even said that on the TV show. But as long as they are sailing under foreign flags and visiting foreign ports, they do not have to comply with any minimum wage laws.

It is very possible, even likely, that the senior steward makes $2,500 per month, but only 20% or less would be in the form of "salary" and the rest would be from the daily service charges and any additional gratuities that each guest passenger pays.

Thanks, nadalina ... I was sure this was the case, but didn't want to speak w/o having experience.

Also, the Senior Steward they were talking about on last night's show was working in the Villas. They are given a lot more tips each cruise than the stewards on lower levels.

I, too, watched the show and really enjoyed it. My SO and I were on the Pearl in February and we had a wonderful time. However, regarding the "salary" of $2,500 for the senior steward, I believe that was a misleading statement too. My SO has worked on cruise ships for 17 years and for three different lines: RCCL, Celebrity and Crystal. While he has always worked in the dining room and not in housekeeping, the stewards' and waiters' income is handled similarly. It is very possible, even likely, that the senior steward makes $2,500 per month, but only 20% or less would be in the form of "salary" and the rest would be from the daily service charges and any additional gratuities that each guest passenger pays. There are a few, small, truly luxury lines that pay their service crew a salary that high, but most, if not all, of the major lines handle their service crew in this same manner and pay them about the same amount. So, the more paying passengers on a cruise, the more the service crew (primarily in housekeeping, the dining room, and lido deck/buffet area) can expect to make, and, conversely, the fewer guest passengers, the less they make. This is where the automatically added tips or services charges come into play as well as any additional tips above and beyond the daily suggested amount that guests choose to pay. I will quickly admit that I have no intimate knowledge of how NCL pays their crew, but I, and especially my SO, would be shocked if it was any different from the other major lines. Now when NCL had ships sailing exclusively in Hawaii, and I think they still have one ship doing this itinerary, they did, indeed, have to comply with U.S. minimum wage standards and they paid their crew accordingly. They even said that on the TV show. But as long as they are sailing under foreign flags and visiting foreign ports, they do not have to comply with any minimum wage laws.

I agree with everything you say with one exception. I didn't take the $2500 as a "salary". I took it as being total compensation, which would include the DSC.

Perhaps the host last night got that dollar figure from the stewards themselves, but I doubt it. It most likely came from NCL. They know what they pay the employee's and they know how much they get from the DSC.

However, what they don't know is how much cash tips the stewards get from people...or the waiters for that matter. With them not having to pay US income tax, it doesn't have to be reported. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual dollar figure made exeeds that $2500 mark.

CG

Travel Channel is entertainment using Smantha Brown, who does Champion Windows ads here in CLE so we are sick of her voice. Then they have Miss America with no line to wait in getting onboard, you try it! Then her excursion is a Lobster restaurant that we went to in Canada that was $30. Again I say not us....

CNBC has Peter Greenburg from MSNBC who did a great job telling you about 15 decks of living space onboard Jewel. You got to see up close the lovely artwork outside each ship. Dawn as the Statue of Liberty since she sails out of NYC. And how refurbishments are needed and the rates for those. New ships coming in the next year including a half built Epic shown. I predict they may have the premiere of Epic with Peter as the host. HEAR THAT STUART & SHEEHAN........ So great to have met both of you on the show. Then you get some excitement that they are running low on bar tabs, stores are not selling, and economy may be hurting NCL. But nope, Stuart tells us they did make money. Must have been gifts.

I have it tivo'd to watch another 20 times. One great show!

Um, Peter Greenberg is not just from MSNBC. Have you watched the Queen Mary 2 special on the Travel Channel? That's his voice. And, have you ever watched The View? He provides tips and tricks about economic vacations, etc. He's a travel correspondent for more than one network. So, I'm thinking he's a free agent and tied to any particular company.

which I didn't care for the continued line of how they send money home, how NCL gets forgeign flag to keep away from USA taxes with fogeign workers. Those working in Miami pay taxes and when they are onboard the ships they do not? Talking salary was a poor point in the show. Folks can be cheap with tips thinking they are getting enough.

As far as splitting tips, they also deduct probably for broken dishes, cleaning clothes, and other expenses for each employee. They probably make 50% for employee services or whatever they call it, to fly them home, etc.

I agree with everything you say with one exception. I didn't take the $2500 as a "salary". I took it as being total compensation, which would include the DSC.

Perhaps the host last night got that dollar figure from the stewards themselves, but I doubt it. It most likely came from NCL. They know what they pay the employee's and they know how much they get from the DSC.

However, what they don't know is how much cash tips the stewards get from people...or the waiters for that matter. With them not having to pay US income tax, it doesn't have to be reported. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual dollar figure made exeeds that $2500 mark.

CG

but I found Brooke to be pretty lame. Like she was at a party before boarding. Beauty queens seems quite out here. Not like you & me. Travel Channel heard plenty from folks who did not care for her featured on a beautiful ship. I told them to use real citizens who pay plenty to cruise & not in suites.

Oh PLEASE, do not call that woman a Miss America. Brooke Lee was Miss USA. Huge difference.....like the size of a woman's brain compared to the size of her......oh nevermind. LOL

CG (a Miss America fan :)...can you tell? )

Those 10 hr. days are often broken up .. making refreshing sleep more elusive. You can't have spent very long on a ship before realizing how hard these folks work ... for us.

My DW & I became good friends with a Canadian spa worker on the Sea Princess several years ago. He signed on for one contract and said he would never do it again. They work them so hard and at that time (2001) he said they offered anywhere from $400 -$800 per month salary' date=' depending on their job, plus their tips. That works out to $13-$26 per day from the cruiseline. That's why they deserve all the tips they get.

One other time, the "missing paxs" on final night at dinner was so conspicuous that they were only skipping out on their obligation. Our servers were some of the best I've ever had and 3/4 of our dinner table went AWOL. It was pathetic!! That's why I believe they instituted the DSC. These people earn their money! Sure, you might get a slacker once in a great while, but they are the exception and not the norm.

I thoroughly enjoyed the program, though.

DT[/size']

which I didn't care for the continued line of how they send money home, how NCL gets forgeign flag to keep away from USA taxes with fogeign workers. Those working in Miami pay taxes and when they are onboard the ships they do not? Talking salary was a poor point in the show. Folks can be cheap with tips thinking they are getting enough.

As far as splitting tips, they also deduct probably for broken dishes, cleaning clothes, and other expenses for each employee. They probably make 50% for employee services or whatever they call it, to fly them home, etc.

One more thing, my Canadian friend on Sea Princess said they have to buy all their personal items, ie. toothpaste, soap, laundry detergent, etc. It's like the military, they buy at a discount (probably at cost), but the cruiseline doesn't give them anything for free except maybe meals.

DT

I think a lot has changed in 17 years with all due respect...:rolleyes:

Room and Board, health care, Long vacations, Travel, and if they are good, meals.

OK, You are getting really annoying now. You obvioulsy think the crew are on some sort of paid vacation with loads of benifits.

You have obvioulsy never worked on a cruse ship. Long vacations?? After a 10 month contract (that's working 7 days a week for 10 months) they get 2 extremely well deserved months off, then it's back to work for 10 months away from friends and family.

Travel? Yes they get to see the same place week after week for 10 months.

Meals? You think they shouldn't be fed??

I am not saying the crew don't get time off, they do, but after working the hours they do quite often they just want to sleep.

As for the salary for the senior stateroom steward that was quoted in the film, it's all academic really as there are no senior stateroom stewards any more.

Oh and by the way, i have worked on a cruise ship:p

Archived