Peter Greenburg special on the Pearl

Nuncie

I hope the folks that are always talking about NCL nickels and dimes now understand why it is necessary. Cruise for cheap, so we must pay for them to make a profit. The other alternative is cruises that are so expensive we can't afford them.

Best cruise show I have seen.

Al

I was excited to watch since I am booked on the Pearl next January. I even paused it at the very end, when the Pearl was sailing by the host, to point out our aft mini location to our family. :)

Regarding the overall show, I thought it was excellent. Very informative and seemed very honest. Now to the main thing that jumped out at me.

Did you hear the salary of a senior room steward? $2500 a month. My first thought was "huh"...not a lot of money. But then I thought about it. $2500 american dollars....that's $30,000 per year. Room and board is included and no taxes. And I doubt that includes "extra" that they are given in cash. Not bad...not bad at all. Thank goodness the money is good enough to compensate these hard working people that have to leave their family behind. I always thought that it must be, but never had any idea until now.

CG

Both interesting and well-done program by Peter Greenberg. They covered all of the major aspects of this large industry, raising the right questions about how the current economy affects things. It focused lots on dollars and money, but that is part of what CNBC does as a financial network.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did you hear the salary of a senior room steward? $2500 a month. My first thought was "huh"...not a lot of money. But then I thought about it. $2500 american dollars....that's $30,000 per year. Room and board is included and no taxes. And I doubt that includes "extra" that they are given in cash. Not bad...not bad at all. Thank goodness the money is good enough to compensate these hard working people that have to leave their family behind. I always thought that it must be, but never had any idea until now.

And that was for a Senior Room Steward. I wonder was the base rate is for someone starting out?

It was so good to see the Pearl again, along with Simon Murray and Sverre Sovdsnes; what great memories!

Nice to see a program that was informative to the public, that demonstrated the beauty of the Pearl, and showcased the hard work and dedication of Miami office and ship employees.

The one part I played back on the DVR four or five times was Captain Sverre's laugh...just one of the reasons the perfect Pearl is one of the happiest!

The next time we are on a ship and hear the calls for bingo or hear the servers selling cocktails, I will think of it differently from now on. I might just play or drink to do my part in helping meet or surpass the weekly quota...lol

coka

And that was for a Senior Room Steward. I wonder was the base rate is for someone starting out?

Don't know but I'm sure the money for a senior steward gives them lots of incentive to work their way up to that point. No wonder they love it when people fill out a style card praising their work. Those cards may mean more then we think they do.

CG

Very, very interesting. I learned much more from this doc than I have from any of the cruising shows I've seen on the Travel Channel. It did not turn me off or take away any of my excitement toward my first cruise. It actually helped me understand why the "extras" such as drinks, shore excursions, alternative eating, etc. are pushed so heavily. I won't feel so bad about all the beers, margaritas and Le Bistro eating I plan on doing now. (Keep telling myself that, anyway.) :rolleyes:

Great show... I enjoyed it a lot..... it really is getting me excited about out Jewel transatlantic next month!!

So much better than watching Samantha Brown singing out of tune in a piano bar on the Travel Channel.:(

Very informative show.

I even paused it at the very end, when the Pearl was sailing by the host, to point out our aft mini location to our family. :)

LOL, me too! My son was like, "Mom, how the heck do you know that is our cabin?" I was like "Well, I've spent hours staring at the back of that ship in pictures trying to figure out which balcony was bigger than others, lol." I think he officially thinks I am crazy now! :p

LOL, me too! My son was like, "Mom, how the heck do you know that is our cabin?" I was like "Well, I've spent hours staring at the back of that ship in pictures trying to figure out which balcony was bigger than others, lol." I think he officially thinks I am crazy now! :p

Too funny. Thought I was the only geek that did that tonight. LOL Bet there's more of us! :)

CG

LOVED the show. It made both Doug and me wish we were on a cruise ship right now. It really did feel like being there.

I thought the host really captured the spirit of a NCL cruise.

If I HAD to say the one thing that caught my attention I felt was misleading was when the host said there is no dress code. I don't know if I misunderstood what he said or what, I did not go back and watch that part again to make sure, but Doug and I both thought he said that.

Other than that, I thought it was the best show on NCL cruising I have ever seen and the VP they talked to through out ( I think he was a VP) I really liked.

Hey how about a TV reality show on a cruise ship? LOL I would sign up for it!! :)

DT

Great idea! I'm so there! And, I'd be willing to volunteer for the GV! :D

LOVED the show. It made both Doug and me wish we were on a cruise ship right now. It really did feel like being there.

I thought the host really captured the spirit of a NCL cruise.

If I HAD to say the one thing that caught my attention I felt was misleading was when the host said there is no dress code. I don't know if I misunderstood what he said or what, I did not go back and watch that part again to make sure, but Doug and I both thought he said that.

Other than that, I thought it was the best show on NCL cruising I have ever seen and the VP they talked to through out ( I think he was a VP) I really liked.

I agree with you, Terry, there were actually a couple of misleading comments by Greenberg ... too bad.

Andy Stuart is ExVP of Global Sales and Passenger Services. We thought he was a great rep for NCL ...

~dianne

I thought the show was well done. Even I learned a couple of things, which would surprise DS considering the # of questions I ask him.

Was also nice to see so many familiar faces. I'll have to save the show for DS to see.

Don't know but I'm sure the money for a senior steward gives them lots of incentive to work their way up to that point. No wonder they love it when people fill out a style card praising their work. Those cards may mean more then we think they do.

CG

They said the crew worked 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. God bless them because I could never do that!

Sandy

Archived