Peter Greenburg special on the Pearl

Nuncie

I just watched it online- here

It is very good, not just a glorified infomercial, like the RCCL one last week.

Thanks so much for posting this.

I tried but cannot watch this because it's only available in the United States. It will not send to Canada! errrrgggg!!!:mad:I thank you for trying . Anyone out there that could possible copy it and send it along???[ I don't even know if this could be done]:o

The most interesting tidbit of the hour was the new CEO admitting NCL lost over $100,000,000 on NCLA. I wonder how much over?

Jingle

I agree with this, when NCL announced they were moving 2 ships out of NCLA, the threads on the boards about it went crazy. Every reason in the book was given, but when someone tried to say it was because they were losing money, they pretty much got attacked. Made me laugh when i seen that on the show.

All i gotta say to ebveryone who was in doubt of NCLA losing money....IN YOUR FAFCE!!!!!

Ok, now im done :p

I agree with this, when NCL announced they were moving 2 ships out of NCLA, the threads on the boards about it went crazy. Every reason in the book was given, but when someone tried to say it was because they were losing money, they pretty much got attacked. Made me laugh when i seen that on the show.

All i gotta say to ebveryone who was in doubt of NCLA losing money....IN YOUR FAFCE!!!!!

Actually, it seems the usual argument was that NCLA was going out of business-and they haven't, so IN YOUR FAFCE

So respect their views not cutting folks down for them. I worked in TV & Radio for 30 years & have seen the best & worst of folks and all think they are #1 and still great friends with many of them.

I absoloutely agree. No one should be cut down including those beauty queens. :D

CG

Um. I was referring to Aftlovers comments about beauty queens being "out there". I quoted the part of her post that I was responding to. Don't know how you missed that. It had nothing to do with money, the TV show about NCL or news anchors.

FYI, my daughter was a news anchor for over 6 years so I'm well aware of what starting salaries are, and the hours that need to be put in. Tough racket for sure. Even though she had moved up to a lead anchor in a decent market and the salary was indeed, very, very "princely", she quit after having her first child as she didn't want to spend 14 hours a day away from her family.

"To be clear" the slant that I was talking about was the media's comprehension and their reporting on the beauty pageant world. Like many, they are really not informed and report what makes good news which is not necessarily fact.

So you see, I assumed nothing. Seems that you did though. Sorry everyone...didn't intend on hijacking this thread.

CG

Valiant attempt, however she said:

"I told them to use real citizens who pay plenty to cruise & not in suites."

and in the next post you said:

"I've known plenty that eventually became doctors, lawyers, tv anchors, etc....including one of my own daughters."

So, you were inferring that TV anchors made big bucks. And BTW.. not all lawyers do either. It's never good to generalize.

And.. since your daughter was in TV, why do you keep calling it "filmed" when the show was "taped?" :)

I thought it was a great show. I am much more interested in the business side of the cruise lines than I am those infomercials they show on the Travel Channel (not speaking of Samantha Brown.)

I appreciated how they showed all the $ it takes for a profitable cruise. Without all of the "nickel & diming" they wouldn't be in business. Cabin fares don't bring in enough to make a sailing profitable.

Over all I thought it was well done. It also made me more interested in taking an NCL cruise.

Great show, very informative. I'm glad to know that my bar bill is helping NCL stay in business. The scenes from the Pearl's West Carib ports made me think I was watching home movies. And the Bing Bong sound . . . it made me jump up and start looking for the quickest way to the buffet.

This is the last time I will address you on this topic. I will not continue to point out your errors after this as it's not fair to those who are reading this thread to learn about the original topic.

Having said that:

Valiant attempt, however she said:

"I told them to use real citizens who pay plenty to cruise & not in suites."

Yes, that is part of what she said in her ENTIRE post.

and in the next post you said:

"I've known plenty that eventually became doctors, lawyers, tv anchors, etc....including one of my own daughters."

Please refer to post # 110 where I QUOTED this comment made by Aftlover which was a PART of her entire message:

"Beauty queens seems quite out here. Not like you & me."

I then made the above response you quoted. However, since you can't quite grasp it, I'll rephrase my response:

I've known plenty of beauty queens that eventually became doctors, lawyers, and tv anchors, etc....including one of my own daughters.

Get it? If not, I'll simplify it even more for you: Beauty queens are normal, intelligent people JUST LIKE US who become successful people.

So, you were inferring that TV anchors made big bucks. And BTW.. not all lawyers do either. It's never good to generalize.

Where did money ever enter into this conversation? Money was never mentioned by me and had no part in my response to Aftlover. It's never good to jump all over people when you are 100% wrong either.

And.. since your daughter was in TV, why do you keep calling it "filmed" when the show was "taped?" :)

Since I'm not the one that has a degree in journalism, or any personal experience in television broadcasting, or ever stepped foot in a TV news room other then to visit my daughter, to me it's filmed. Sorry that offends your professionalism.

I'm done here. And again, my sincerest apologies to the others reading this thread.

CG

Surfgirl, CruisinGram will probably be back and wonder WHAT???? Her statement about "doctors, lawyers, tv anchors, etc [she left out "Governor of Alaska." :D]....including one of my own daughters" was in response to a statement from AFT_LOVER that beauty queens were not like "you and me." It had nothing to do with how much TV anchors are paid. Gram was simply stating that some are very much like you and me. And I believe her statement about the media slant had to do with what AFT_LOVER said about Brooke what's-her-name hosting the Travel Channel show on the Pearl.

CruisinGram, you can slap me if I'm wrong. :eek:

No slap Adele...a huge thank you for understanding what I thought I posted clearly. I'm so sorry that I posted anything now at all about the beauty queens. It started as sort of a joke and quickly turned into a nightmare. :(Thanks again.

CG

Thanks so much for posting this.

I tried but cannot watch this because it's only available in the United States. It will not send to Canada! errrrgggg!!!:mad:I thank you for trying . Anyone out there that could possible copy it and send it along???[ I don't even know if this could be done]:o

The DVD was for sale for 19.99 on the CNBC website--when I looked it was no longer available--you could keep checking. We thought the program was terrific--learned a LOT. For example, amazed by the fact that it takes only 7.25 per day per person for the bar to break even--and that includes soda!!! Many interesting facts--and you see how much it costs them to take a ship out--they only broke even on the featured cruise.

Carnival has 50% of the cruise market. The brands under the Carnival Cruise Corp are:

Carnival, Holland America Line, Princess Cruiseline, Curnard (QM2, QE2),Costa, and "The Yachts of Seabourn in the North American Market. RCCL is RCL, Celebrity and Azamare.

MSEm

What..you think they pulled 2 ships because they were making too much money? (Insert whatever face here)

Great show, very informative. I'm glad to know that my bar bill is helping NCL stay in business. The scenes from the Pearl's West Carib ports made me think I was watching home movies. And the Bing Bong sound . . . it made me jump up and start looking for the quickest way to the buffet.

I'm glad it is too, Carnac. That way, I can sail for a mere pittance. :D

DT

This is the last time I will address you on this topic. I will not continue to point out your errors after this as it's not fair to those who are reading this thread to learn about the original topic.

Having said that:

Since I'm not the one that has a degree in journalism, or any personal experience in television broadcasting, or ever stepped foot in a TV news room other then to visit my daughter, to me it's filmed. Sorry that offends your professionalism.

I'm done here. And again, my sincerest apologies to the others reading this thread.

CG

However, you lumped TV Anchors in with doctors and lawyers, so it's obvious you were inferring that they make the super high salaries in order to afford the most expensive cabin on the ship.

I enjoyed the show too. I really like Peter Greenburg's various travel reports. The Pearl looked beautiful, and I hope NCL receives more bookings because of the show.. or film.. or tape.. or thumbdrive.. oh, you know what I mean.

OT: CruisinGram ~ I know what you meant, so don't let SurfGirl's comments ruffle your feathers. It's best to just let the "last word" be the last word. You won't win that battle. I doubt anyone ever has. :)

Just watched the show again (taped it) and couldn't get over the honeymoon couple husband saying he wished they just included the extra $100 pp in the cruise fare instead of having to pay extra pp for specialty restaurants! They said they ate in specialty restaurants 6 out of 7 nights. Many people DON'T want to pay the extra $100- for heavens sakes! BUT if you do, they are there for you!!!!! HENCE, FREESTYLE! :confused:

We had a hard time trying to figure out why they featured them!:eek:

We love Simon too and glad they featured him. Fun to see Tony Lockett (food and bev)...we've sailed with him MANY times. Captain Sverre (oh boy, I know I butchered that spelling) was a delight on this "election results" cruise! Very interesting time to be on a cruise! Great ship to pick for filming! Boy did it rain though! No wonder their tour revenue was down!~

Someone else peaks like we do. We are just amazed who folks are ticked that they were charged for gratuties when it is told to you on the web site as well by your TA or whomever booked you. No surprise & good people do tip (TO INSURE PROFECTION) when some countries do not.

Then the nickel & dime saying that is all over here. We can cruise with a bill of -0- other than the $250 deposit that our TA gave is $150 & NCL give $100 so we are -0- when w leave. If we want to get drunk, go head for the art auction & hold hands (both of them) and this is one great entertainment function on the ships. Folks believe they're buying the original Monet for $25, not $2 mil. Many are right with us for added enjoyment & the champagne is free.

Then hit whatever the Daily told you to for free stuff or games to play to win stuff. We won $650 "Anabella" painting that took 2 months to show. We paid $280 for a black onyx & gold frame with black velvet holder. It is amazing to see people's faces when they come over & see her.

Just watched the show again (taped it) and couldn't get over the honeymoon couple husband saying he wished they just included the extra $100 pp in the cruise fare instead of having to pay extra pp for specialty restaurants! They said they ate in specialty restaurants 6 out of 7 nights. Many people DON'T want to pay the extra $100- for heavens sakes! BUT if you do, they are there for you!!!!! HENCE, FREESTYLE! :confused:

We love Simon too and glad they featured him. Fun to see Tony Lockett (food and bev)...we've sailed with him MANY times. Captain Sverre (oh boy, I know I butchered that spelling) was a delight on this "election results" cruise! Very interesting time to be on a cruise! Great ship to pick for filming! Boy did it rain though! No wonder their tour revenue was down!~

Not to mention you'll never get into these restaurants if it was no charge.

Archived