Pre-cruise hotel in Miami - THANK YOU!!!

ken85121

Surely in a busy tourist area like Miami Beach, tourist beds aren't just fillers.

From what I'm seeing, I should wait to book my hotel. What's the best time frame? I'm seeing, for example, a room at the Beacon for $145 on several booking engines, for December. How long should I wait, or should I just keep checking?

On February 7 my family stayed at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Miami a day before our cruise.

I was amazed at the prices of hotels in most parts of Miami. Over a year ago we stayed at a La Quinta near the airport, which was reasonably priced, plus they offered free shuttles from the airport and to to Port of Miami. The hotel was decent, but on the downside there was nothing near this hotel as far as attractions, restaurants, or things to do. Taxis are also expensive in Miami.

We were hoping to find something a little closer to the action this time around, but hotels downtown or something decent in South Beach were very expensive.

Thanks to Cruise Critic, I looked into Priceline and Hotwire for hotels about a week before our cruise. The prices offered seemed too good to be true (a $300.00 room for $108.00), but I took a chance and booked a hotel through Hotwire. I was unfamiliar with the process and was hesitant to give my credit card number before I knew exactly what I was getting. Then I figured it is only $100.00 if I get ripped off. No big deal.

It turned out that a room was booked for us at the Hyatt Regency. I called the Hyatt the next day, and they had our reservation, for a king sized bed. I asked them to change to two double beds (as our son was travelling with us) and I also asked for a smoking room, in which they did for us.

When we arrived in Miami our room was ready, but they didn't have a smoking room available for us. No big deal for me, really as I was the only one who smoked. However, the front desk offered to compensate by giving us a $75.00 voucher to eat at the Riverfront Restaurant (the hotel's restaurant) for dinner.

That sounded decent to me. The food was good there, and we had two of the chefs visit us at our table and made sure we were enjoying our dinner.

All in all, I was skepical about the Hotwire process (I believe Priceline is similar, but I can't really comment because I have not tried it), but it turned out that we scored a home run in this case.

I appreciate the advice that was provided by Cruise Critic members to enable use to start our cruise vacation off with a decent hotel in a decent location for a decent price.

i too am stayin at the hyatt regency this july and would love more info..or review from u? i got it under 100 b4 tax on priceline. how did u get to the hotel (did u fly or drive in) what did u do after u checked in? stay around hotel or go out and about? thanks

I have been looking for a hotel in Miami to stay at the night before we take our first ever (I can't wait) cruise. However, the prices that I have found seem really high to me but I have kept trying. Several people on this board have been talking about the InterContinental Hotel. I keep checking and the minimum rate that I can find has always been at least $300+ with taxes.

With a little more research here, I found that many of those who have found good deals at this hotel seem to have booked through either Price*ine or through easyclick*ravel so I gave easyclick a try. (I don't know if I am supposed to write the website names out but you can figure out what I mean.)

I am happy to report that I just booked a room for $110.76 that includes taxes for 12/4/09. Although I am somewhat skeptical that this is a "too good to be true rate" I'm giving it a chance. It is cheaper than most 3-star hotels I found anywhere in Miami and supposedly the InterContinental is 4-star. What ever it is really doesn't matter because I'm very pleased with the price. It gives me a whole lot more to spend on board the Pearl.

Thanks to everyone who suggested it!

Now...to do more research to find stretch limo service from Ft Lauderdale Airport to the InterContinental...:)

So does easyclick charge your credit card right away? I assume it does. Good job btw. We stayed at the IC in '08 and it was a fantastic hotel.

We just won the Hyatt Regency in downtown Miami for $55.00 (not including taxes) for one night pre cruise on April 18 bidding on Priceline. We've stayed here twice before. It's nothing fancy but we just want a place to sleep. It suits our needs.

How do you have an idea as to which hotel you are getting, I have read somewhere how narrow down the search but can't seem to find the thread.

Thanks

I have been looking for a hotel in Miami to stay at the night before we take our first ever (I can't wait) cruise. However, the prices that I have found seem really high to me but I have kept trying. Several people on this board have been talking about the InterContinental Hotel. I keep checking and the minimum rate that I can find has always been at least $300+ with taxes.

With a little more research here, I found that many of those who have found good deals at this hotel seem to have booked through either Price*ine or through easyclick*ravel so I gave easyclick a try. (I don't know if I am supposed to write the website names out but you can figure out what I mean.)

I am happy to report that I just booked a room for $110.76 that includes taxes for 12/4/09. Although I am somewhat skeptical that this is a "too good to be true rate" I'm giving it a chance. It is cheaper than most 3-star hotels I found anywhere in Miami and supposedly the InterContinental is 4-star. What ever it is really doesn't matter because I'm very pleased with the price. It gives me a whole lot more to spend on board the Pearl.

Thanks to everyone who suggested it!

Now...to do more research to find stretch limo service from Ft Lauderdale Airport to the InterContinental...:)

Yay! I am so glad you got a great deal. I booked this same hotel thru easyclick for the end of May. We've stayed there before and it is an awesome hotel. You can't go wrong there.

As far as limos, check cachelimo.com or email directly at cachelimo@yahoo.com Luis the owner keeps brand new limos in his fleet and we got top notch service from them. (we also traveled from FLL to the IC hotel!) Tell him Kristi sent ya.

Have fun on your cruise; you will be hooked!

What we love to do is to fly in a day or two early and stay in Ft. Lauderdale. We love the hotels there, the restaurants and the water taxi. For us, it is like having two fun vacations in on. A land trip and a cruise. I am sure Miami is great too, we are just partial to Ft. Lauderdale for some reason.. 8-)

My husband and I loved our pre-stay at the Tropi Rock in Fort Lauderdale in February that we are going back in October for 4 days, the Sky for the weekend and one over night in Miami. The price for the Intercontinental is $99 on easyclick right now! We may visit FL and the Tropi Rock every year! We really liked it.

Surely in a busy tourist area like Miami Beach, tourist beds aren't just fillers.

From what I'm seeing, I should wait to book my hotel. What's the best time frame? I'm seeing, for example, a room at the Beacon for $145 on several booking engines, for December. How long should I wait, or should I just keep checking?

Yes, absolutely the business traveler makes up for the majority of booked hotel rooms in South Beach. Walk down the sidewalk from Labor Day to the begining of December and then Jan-June and there are nothing but convention goers in South Beach.

I wish they'd take their name tags off.

Depending upon your dates, you should start seeing rates bottom out by November.

That is really weird. I double checked and mine is not charged. Not sure whats up.

My card always gets charged right away when using easyclicktravel so not sure what is going on with yours. You might want to double check with the hotel on your reservation. I am sure its there but you might want to make sure.

Laura

I was starting to get worried with all the comments that people were charged right away so I made some calls. I apparently put in the wrong 3 digit security code on my card so my reservation was pending. Although my reservation did go through, I guess it wasn't "released" until the code was resolved. However, I never received an email or anything like that so I would never have known unless the rest of you commented. Long story short, the people at customer service were VERY friendly and everything is set now. Thanks!:)

I was starting to get worried with all the comments that people were charged right away so I made some calls. I apparently put in the wrong 3 digit security code on my card so my reservation was pending. Although my reservation did go through, I guess it wasn't "released" until the code was resolved. However, I never received an email or anything like that so I would never have known unless the rest of you commented. Long story short, the people at customer service were VERY friendly and everything is set now. Thanks!:)

I am so glad that it worked out for you. I am one of those person that likes everything taken care of before I leave.

Laura

Priceline just got the Hyatt Regency for $56.00. Flying in the days before the cruise April 11 in at 10:30pm just need a room so not a big deal. A Liquor store near by delivers so I will be able to bring the wine and smuggle the liquor that we will need.

We booked the Westin in Coral Gables for 2 nights, precruise, through Hot Wire.(Listed as 4 star hotel, Coconut Grove/Coral gables) We were there early March and paid $108. per night. This was a great choice for us, nice ammenities and Miracle Mile right outside the door. We had a car which we parked at $22. per day, valet ($20 self park) and went to Fairchild Tropical Gardens and an adjacent state park on the waterfront afterwards in our day of exploring. On our way to the hotel (We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale)we drove down A1A and went out to Key Biscayne for lunch at the Rusty Pelican. Our GPS really came in handy! We returned the car in downtown Miami and had a short cab ride to the ship. Our car info came from CC postings on the Florida departures site. Post cruise we used Steve at SAS transportation to get back to Ft. lauderdale and our flight home. This was also done because of CC information posted. Thanks to all of you who helped make our trip so nice!

So, does the Intercontential offer free shuttle from airport to hotel and from hotel to the port to hop onto your cruise?? If not, any idea of a nice hotel that does, nice as in not a Days Inn. $100+ per night willing to pay. thanks!

So, does the Intercontential offer free shuttle from airport to hotel and from hotel to the port to hop onto your cruise?? If not, any idea of a nice hotel that does, nice as in not a Days Inn. $100+ per night willing to pay. thanks!

I haven't seen anything about a free shuttle. We are planning on just taking a taxi.

Hi Kentear and DTC,

Not sure what you paid for your stay @ Intercontential, but I found a code for this hotel for April 11, 2009 for $125 + tax. The code is Zo2. I came across it on this board. We just booked it Thursday night. I logged on the Intercontential's website and made the reservation. Hope this helps.

14 days from tomorrow!!!!

I haven't booked anything yet. I tried the Holiday Inn and it's sold out.

For February of 2010??!! I can get a room at the Hilton Downtown for $177/nt. thinking of taking that. I like to have all my details worked out, I don't like to do last minute planning. I always have the fear of not getting a hotel. I know it could save me money but to me, it isn't worth the aggravation!!

Archived